Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

American Indian Warframe

HallopusPrime

Having sent a similar inquiry to Digital Extremes, I wonder if I may now put the following question to all of you: Would anyone else like to see a Native American-inspired warframe? I am a Cherokee who has been playing this game for a few weeks now, and though I love the designs of the various Warframes and their inspirations from various cultures (Wukong inspired by "Journey to the West," Inaros from Egyptian Mummy fiction, etc.) I feel an Indian Warframe would be a unique addition to the game. Perhaps based on "Nunnehi" (Cherokee word for an incredibly strong  supernatural race of human-like beings who were thought to be immortal and could shift their sounds so that no man could follow them unless they wished to be seen) or "Wakinyan" (the Lakota Thunder-being) that could wield a gunstock club as a heavy melee weapon (See the gif from "The Last of the Mohicans" below, which actually got a lot of things right) or a knife and tomahowk as a swift melee pair. Other weapons could include a powerful long range bow (which some tribes did use to take down multiple enemies at once in a macabre shish-kabob sort of way) or repeating carbine rifle similar to a Winchester repeater. Another possible feature would be the use of "feathers" or some sort of in-universe analogue that could "count coup" (track victories against an enemy), slowly building a headress on the warframe as it was used and improved, and perhaps providing different boosts to the stats of the frame. What do you all think?

Best first post from a new member I've seen in a long time. Spirit Warrior frame? I like the idea. Especially that No. 4 idea.

I'll suggest that you look at some of the other fan based frame suggestion/rework threads and format your OP in a more readable manner, whilst expanding on the idea's contained within.

Edited by Kihana

Personally, I prefer the more vague or mixed themes. Inaros is the only real offender on DE's part, and Wukong/Nezha were only added because of their partnership with perfect world. I'm not completely against the idea, though.

I think the biggest problem with assigning weapons to a warframe's powers is that almost every theme in that area is filled. Excalibur is the sword warframe, Mesa is the pistol warframe, and Ivara is the bow warframe. The only things left are rifles/shotguns, and maybe some melees if you really want to push it (valkyr did, so why not).

If there was going to be a Native American-themed warframe, it would likely be based on native american mythos and spirituality rather than "real" things.

1 hour ago, Aktriaz said:

Personally, I prefer the more vague or mixed themes. Inaros is the only real offender on DE's part, and Wukong/Nezha were only added because of their partnership with perfect world. I'm not completely against the idea, though.

I think the biggest problem with assigning weapons to a warframe's powers is that almost every theme in that area is filled. Excalibur is the sword warframe, Mesa is the pistol warframe, and Ivara is the bow warframe. The only things left are rifles/shotguns, and maybe some melees if you really want to push it (valkyr did, so why not).

If there was going to be a Native American-themed warframe, it would likely be based on native american mythos and spirituality rather than "real" things.

1 hour ago, HallopusPrime said:

Having sent a similar inquiry to Digital Extremes, I wonder if I may now put the following question to all of you: Would anyone else like to see a Native American-inspired warframe? I am a Cherokee who has been playing this game for a few weeks now, and though I love the designs of the various Warframes and their inspirations from various cultures (Wukong inspired by "Journey to the West," Inaros from Egyptian Mummy fiction, etc.) I feel an Indian Warframe would be a unique addition to the game. Perhaps based on "Nunnehi" (Cherokee word for an incredibly strong  supernatural race of human-like beings who were thought to be immortal and could shift their sounds so that no man could follow them unless they wished to be seen) or "Wakinyan" (the Lakota Thunder-being) that could wield a gunstock club as a heavy melee weapon (See the gif from "The Last of the Mohicans" below, which actually got a lot of things right) or a knife and tomahowk as a swift melee pair. Other weapons could include a powerful long range bow (which some tribes did use to take down multiple enemies at once in a macabre shish-kabob sort of way) or repeating carbine rifle similar to a Winchester repeater. Another possible feature would be the use of "feathers" or some sort of in-universe analogue that could "count coup" (track victories against an enemy), slowly building a headress on the warframe as it was used and improved, and perhaps providing different boosts to the stats of the frame. What do you all think?

Well, I'm brazilian and South America tribes have a lot of myths and many of them are related to spirituality but with the fauna of the Amazon and Atlantic forest. Jaguars, toucans, frogs, capibaras, alligators, and etc are all deities to many of the tribes that still exists deep in the jungle.

I think the north america tribes may have many myths with animals representing deities. A warframe that can control and create big energy animals from the myths of the tribes of north america to help him with buffs, protection or damage like eagles, deers, buffalos and etc would work.

You don't need to even talk about spirituality, creating energy "pets", being capable of possess or transform into these animals would be awesome and new to the game and would fit the theme very well but I know nothing about the native american tribes and the OP, @HallopusPrime, could say to us if any legends of his people fits the transformation and summon type of skills.

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

I would like this addition but i'd be a little scared of the outcry. There's already people claiming the minotaur head is anti-hindu, and they already had to change the operator primed outfit over a supposed japanese war sun in glory look. Personally to me it's just a game but people always cry out "MY CULTURE! YOU MONSTERS!" about everything. 

Though if they were to make a generalised "tribal" frame with spirit animal transformations I would so be into that. Especially if there was a fox form.

I am glad to have your feedback!

We do have a few shapeshifting stories, and some of the other North American tribes had them as well. We have Uktena, which were cursed men who became horned serpents, and our Thunderers could change from a human like form to a bird form. The Algonquin tribes have the Wendigo, a creature created when a man went insane with hunger and began cannibalistic habits, transforming into a gaunt, corpse-like monster. The Navajo have Skinwalkers, men of power who could change into many creatures, and bears similarity to the Nagual of Mesoamerican tribal folklore. @-SDM-NerevarCM

I do love the throwing tomahawk idea. We have many notches in surrounding trees (much to my wife's chagrin) attesting to the fact.

Edited by HallopusPrime
Added content

Okay, I will pitch some ideas, though expect them to be very very cliché and stereotypical.

The frame:

A male Warrior with high Health, High armor and low shields with good sprint and parkour speed. On his head he has an ornament with a "braid" with feathers.

Passive: Spirit Walk

If the warrior falls in battle (dies in Solo or enters Bleeding state in Coop) he will continue to fight in spirit form. Basically his corpse lays on the ground while the player assumes control of a ghostly copy of it. He can use his full arsenal while at it and even revive fallen allies (but not himself). After 10s of this he will die for good. In Coop he can be revived to return to fight earlier, basically the bleeding timer is the spirit form. The spirit form is inmune to damage.

First Ability: Wolf Spirit

Empowers the melee weapon with the spirit of a Wolf increasing damage by +25/50/75/100% (after all the mod modifiers are applied) and sprint speed by 5/10/15/20%. Additionally, all melee attacks proc Slash status. Allied Kubrows (be own pet, allied player's pets or Feral Kubrows and Dhraks MC'ed by Nyx) will be granted 50% buff to damage, health, armor and shield. Lasts 15s

Second Ability: Eagle Spirit

Empowers the frame for 15s. Increases jump height and aimglide by 6/12/18/24% and reduces the fall speed during glide by 50%. Additionally, Blocking with the melee weapon during it will cause ghostly wings to cover him, increasing Block by 10/20/30/40% and the Blocking angle by 20º

Third Ability: Bull Spirit

Sends a ghostly bull in a straight path to trample enemies, dealing Impact damage and knocking them down. It also grants the Warframe the ability to knock down enemies by running into them for 5s, dealing Impact damage in the process.

Ultimate Ability: Great Spirit

The Warframe is empowered by the great spirit for 10s. Graphically his ornaments change into more elaborate ones and he is surrounded by some sort of ghostly aura. During it, a Wolf spirit, an Eagle spirit and a Bull spirit will be summoned to fight for him, if destroyed (by damage or because they ran into a nullifier) they will be spawned next to the warframe once again, they are not gone until the empowering is over. Additionally, his other abilities also gain special features:

+Wolf spirit: Slam and Charge attacks will spawn additional wolves. They will not respawn if destroyed. Up to 6 wolves can be active at any given time. Additionally, Allied Kubrows that fall in battle will be instantly revived by spirit wolves, the spirit wolves are sacrificed for each revival.

+Eagle Spirit: Double jumping will instead grant the warframe wings to fly for 4s, melee attacks will behave like Archmelee. Additionally, allied players will obtain the (basic) effects of Eagle Spirit as long as they remain within 50m of the warframe.

+Bull Spirit: Summons 4 additional bulls to stampede trough the battlefield.

Great Spirit will continue to be active during Spirit Walk

Edited by Nazrethim

10 hours ago, HallopusPrime said:

I have a frame concept in the very early stages with this in mind. 

12 hours ago, HallopusPrime said:

I am 1/4 Cherokee, and I approve 100%. +1

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

2 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

Okay, I will pitch some ideas, though expect them to be very very cliché and stereotypical.

The frame:

A male Warrior with high Health, High armor and low shields with good sprint and parkour speed. On his head he has an ornament with a "braid" with feathers.

If the warrior falls in battle (dies in Solo or enters Bleeding state in Coop) he will continue to fight in spirit form. Basically his corpse lays on the ground while the player assumes control of a ghostly copy of it. He can use his full arsenal while at it and even revive fallen allies (but not himself). After 10s of this he will die for good. In Coop he can be revived to return to fight earlier, basically the bleeding timer is the spirit form. The spirit form is inmune to damage.

Empowers the melee weapon with the spirit of a Wolf increasing damage by +25/50/75/100% (after all the mod modifiers are applied) and sprint speed by 5/10/15/20%. Additionally, all melee attacks proc Slash status. Allied Kubrows (be own pet, allied player's pets or Feral Kubrows and Dhraks MC'ed by Nyx) will be granted 50% buff to damage, health, armor and shield. Lasts 15s

Empowers the frame for 15s. Increases jump height and aimglide by 6/12/18/24% and reduces the fall speed during glide by 50%. Additionally, Blocking with the melee weapon during it will cause ghostly wings to cover him, increasing Block by 10/20/30/40% and the Blocking angle by 20º

Sends a ghostly bull in a straight path to trample enemies, dealing Impact damage and knocking them down. It also grants the Warframe the ability to knock down enemies by running into them for 5s, dealing Impact damage in the process.

The Warframe is empowered by the great spirit for 10s. Graphically his ornaments change into more elaborate ones and he is surrounded by some sort of ghostly aura. During it, a Wolf spirit, an Eagle spirit and a Bull spirit will be summoned to fight for him, if destroyed (by damage or because they ran into a nullifier) they will be spawned next to the warframe once again, they are not gone until the empowering is over. Additionally, his other abilities also gain special features:

+Wolf spirit: Slam and Charge attacks will spawn additional wolves. They will not respawn if destroyed. Up to 6 wolves can be active at any given time. Additionally, Allied Kubrows that fall in battle will be instantly revived by spirit wolves, the spirit wolves are sacrificed for each revival.

+Eagle Spirit: Double jumping will instead grant the warframe wings to fly for 4s, melee attacks will behave like Archmelee. Additionally, allied players will obtain the (basic) effects of Eagle Spirit as long as they remain within 50m of the warframe.

Dope!!

28 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

Maybe less Native American, and more spirit warrior? That would be pretty cool.

Well, thing is, if we go about a Native American hero, in general they are either shamans using spiritual/nature magic to fight, heal/support or summon/shapeShift-into animals, warriors empowered by spirits/magic or flat warriors who lack magic but make up for it in combat capabilities (which wouldn't work in WF as everyone is a space ninja cyborg wizard) so there isn't much we can pull ideas from.

Edited by Nazrethim

13 hours ago, Aktriaz said:

Is that why Nezha and Wukong look like flaming homos?  Esp Nezha.....

3 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

The frame:

A few months ago, I was thinking of something like this, but I didn't get this far yet. But man you nailed it to the foundation! This Warframe is a must to create. Guess I need to kick it high and start the next after this one. Time to hit up my Zulu ancestors for some guidance.

9 hours ago, (Xbox One)DmanKing7 said:

A few months ago, I was thinking of something like this, but I didn't get this far yet. But man you nailed it to the foundation! This Warframe is a must to create. Guess I need to kick it high and start the next after this one. Time to hit up my Zulu ancestors for some guidance.

Thanks. Though I confess it was a quick concept I came up in about five minutes. Notice how almost all of his abilities are self buffs to keep up. BTW, if you wonder why all of them are affected by Duration, that's because I loathe Fleeting Expertise :P