The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

The game is super heavy after U21. Can't play anymore.

SoldierOS

I saw in the patch notes some change about 32 bit performance and it seems that things only got worse than before. I have an onboard graphics and 2GB of RAM, always played fine until the last update. Now I'm constantly running out of memory, crashing and having lag spikes (especially on Earth). I verified and cleaned the game cache right after updating because I know things like this tend to happen after a big download, so that's not the issue and it's not my PC either. I asked this on reddit as well and everything seems to be pointing at only 32 bit builds having this problem. Can anyone at DE tell me what's happening? 

Out of memory or out of video memory

I also got a out of video memory when i loaded back on the ship after a mission, usually this only happens to me when i'm in a very dense populated relay, the game eventually loads players and i end up running out of memory, but i never had the issue after a mission, but again it only happend once so it's not a big deal.

But yes the game is a tad heavy now, i don't personally sense this on my core 2 duo and an amd 6850, but i do feel the impact on earth as it doesn't feel like the fps displayed in game and alliance members are indeed strugling with earth, if i find the 40 fps an issue (because it doesn't feel like 40 fps), then i can't imagine what 15 fps or crashes on earth feel like

4 minutes ago, Pogomonster said:

Uh, what are your specs?

The worst possib.. ahem~ 

I have a Celeron 847, onboard graphics, Win 8.1 64bits, (running 32 in-game because memory), 2gb, playing lowest, etc etc..

Edited by SoldierOS

1 minute ago, SoldierOS said:

The worst possib.. ahem~ 

I have an Celeron 847, Win 8.1 64bits, (running 32 in-game because memory), 2gb, playing lowest, etc etc..

Oh crap, that's really bad, worse than my Intel Core 2 Quad...

You should consider getting a newer PC. I can suggest you a cheap gaming PC for 400$, or even 200$ if you want.

Edited by Pogomonster

Just now, Pogomonster said:

Oh crap, that's really bad, worse than my Intel Core 2 Duo...

You should consider getting a newer PC. I can suggest you a cheap gaming PC for 400$, or even 200$ if you want.

I live in Brazil, so it's kinda harder to buy a new one. A medium PC here is like 110% of the basic wage, but I'll get there eventually.

Yeah, figure its the graphical updates, but the game is hitting the Video memory harder than previously. Normally, relays with more than 10 players would overload 1GB of video ram but the game seems to be spiking to 2.5 GB now and possibly over in some places tanking performance.

1 minute ago, SoldierOS said:

I live in Brazil, so it's kinda harder to buy a new one. A medium PC here is like 110% of the basic wage, but I'll get there eventually.

You could probably get a cheap PC from ebay, you can try searching for a PC with a core i5 and 8gb of RAM and put a GTX 1050ti to still get nice performance.

Just now, Pogomonster said:

You could probably get a cheap PC from ebay, you can try searching for a PC with a core i5 and 8gb of RAM and put a GTX 1050ti to still get nice performance.

Thanks for the tip! Even then, there's the importation taxes and all this crap. But I'll see.

Just now, SoldierOS said:

Thanks for the tip! Even then, there's the importation taxes and all this crap. But I'll see.

I suggest one with an i5 2400, those are cheaper, and still offer nice performance, better than modern i3's.

Super heavy? LoL

I've a PC with 8Gb DDR3, a r7 260x as GPU and a FX-6300 as CPU without any overclock(using windows 7, wich has less performance than windows 10) and i play using max settings + Full Screen(1600x900) at 60fps ALL THE TIME.

You should get a PC and stop trying to run games in potatoes.

Just now, elpeleq42 said:

Super heavy? LoL

I've a PC with 8Gb DDR3, a r7 260x as GPU and a FX-6300 as CPU without any overclock(using windows 7, wich has less performance than windows 10) and i play using max settings + Full Screen(1600x900) at 60fps ALL THE TIME.

You should get a PC and stop trying to run games in potatoes.

sigh.....spoiled rich kids that get everything they want. he already said he can't afford one but you probably don't know what that's like.

6 minutes ago, Magicfingers said:

sigh.....spoiled rich kids that get everything they want. he already said he can't afford one but you probably don't know what that's like.

Dude, in my country this PC was R$2000(2 years ago, today it must be around 1600), wich means around U$600. Without the brazilian's extra taxes, probably the same PC would cost less than U$ 450, 2 years ago, what is maybe...idk...300 dollars today?

Tell me, does this looks like expensive?It's an old PC with low expecs even to the date i bought, imagine today...

Edited by elpeleq42

49 minutes ago, elpeleq42 said:

Dude, in my country this PC was R$2000(2 years ago, today it must be around 1600), wich means around U$600. Without the brazilian's extra taxes, probably the same PC would cost less than U$ 450, 2 years ago, what is maybe...idk...300 dollars today?

Tell me, does this looks like expensive?It's an old PC with low expecs even to the date i bought, imagine today...

For them it isn't expensive. For you it may not be expensive. But for me it is, and I can't get one right now. Good for you that you can run at highest, but I can't and the update made it worse. If you aren't going to add anything in this topic, go be rude somewhere else 

While I won't disagree in the game needing some optimisations I'm going to come across a bit harsh here but I wouldn't even do word processing with less than 4GB of ram these days let alone trying to play a game. 

You've got 2GB of ram and your gpu will be taking some of that because it's integrated, likely more now due to the lighting changes, but if I'm honest totally honest your pc probably shouldn't have been running the game prior to the update let alone after it (and I am assuming you've lowered everything to lowest settings). 

While I feel for the situation you're in your country when it comes to tech, taxes etc the simple fact is that you may have to accept that you can't play 'modern' games with the hardware available for your budget.

Also for the record... I'm very much of the view DE needs to up minimum requirements and stop catering for the current suggested hardware that is over 10 years old.... that and stop toasters being hosts.  Yes it will be bad for people with toasters but toasters can ruin other peoples experience too.

Edited by LSG501

15 hours ago, White_Matter said:

Not the whole game but the earth runs slower than every other tileset out there with micro stutter here and there.

Specs : 

gtx 1060 6gb

32gb 2666mhz ddr4 ram

i7700k

samsung 850 evo

Playing on 1440p(DSR) and everything maxed out.

A very solid system, in this case, its sorta troubling that you are still getting stutters when your are using a video card so above the issue level GPUs. In this case, as some threads on the forum are pointing out, the game is taking at some points 1.5 to 2.5 GB of Video RAM and in the case you are using something with 2GB or less, your game just crashed with an out of memory error. It should be worrying that you are getting stutter as that would normally suggest that you have filled your GPU's VRAM and switched over to shared system memory.

7 hours ago, Urlan said:

snip

I checked earth and my 1060 at 1080p was taking around 1.25GB according to msi afterburner in windows 10 pro, it was just under 1GB in landing craft and desktop without anything open was about 0.3GB to give some reference point.  I don't think thats much different to before the update iirc.

23 hours ago, White_Matter said:

snip

I'm playing on an i7 4790k, 16GB ram, 250gb evo 850, GTX1060 6gb at 1080p and don't seem to have any issues with earth (both on 64bit OS I would guess too) unless I get stuck with a toaster as a host which to be fair that's the same anywhere in the game and thats more lag than stuttering....  I'm guessing you've done all the optimisations etc in the launcher I assume so maybe it's the resolution that's causing you issues, it shouldn't be but its a possibility with more pixels and more stuff on screen etc.

Before the update, you would have been around 450 MB of video ram usage in the liset or non-busy regular mission but could go up to around 600-900 with infested or on Uranus Sealab; Lua spy; or Kuva fortress. In fact, on systems with 1GB of VRAM, those situations could cause crashes to desktop or at least a total driver reset. This, I am not sure what is the main cause, I am leaning towards lighting issues but it could simply be the more defined textures as what occurred right after the Chroma update with the increased PBR.