Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hello DE, Would You Like To Know How To Earn More Of My Money?

timesickGallivanter

Hello my dears at DE. I have been around for a bit, and I believe I have a fool-proof way to improve the game ever so slightly--which of course will earn you more of our precious money.

It is difficult to sum up trading in Warframe in only one word, as there isn't just one word which truly encompasses the experience. Monotonous. Tiresome. Boring. Aggravating. A-waste-of-time-which-could-be-spend-killing-Grineer-and-which-would-increase-PROFITS-if-it-were-easier-and-more-accessible-to-all-players. 

Woe to the Tenno who has a willingness to spend his plat (and therefore IRL cash) on prime parts, mods, and the like. I takes a year and a day to find what one seeks, and the vast disagreement regarding the value of items between the various 3rd party sites leaves much confusion as to what to spend on any give item. If only there was a way to find items quickly, efficiently, and buy what I need so we can go back to the game instead of sitting in trade chat.

BAM. Suddenly an idea hits our pink-shorted hero, @[DE]Steve! "I'll put in an in-game marketplace, auction-house, or whatever you want to call it! It'll be accessible through the dojo trade kiosks to maintain their utility, and because everyone will be spending more and more plat to buy things they will PAY US MORE!"

And so it came to pass that the pigeon was let out of the everyone was happy with having a simple, stylish, efficient means of trading, and DE made so much money that they were able to take over the entire world with their newfound wealth (or maybe just London Ontario).

The end

yes this is a bit silly and exaggerative, but trading really isn't all that enjoyable at any rate :c

EDIT: Firstly: this sort of a trading system would simply be a streamlining of the process. You don't have to get rid of direct person-to-person trading, any more than MMOs of the last 20 years have. These can co-exist. Second: because the trading of primes in Warframe and weapon skins in Payday 2 are incredibly similar in terms of how demand for individual items varies by time, rarity, and relevance, I don't feel the addition of an in-game marketplace would greatly affect the value of an item over it's lifetime significantly. If anything, it would likely increase the rate of trading due to ease of use, and increase the overall number of trades performed, as more players would be likely to sell their own items if it is easier to put something up and go to bed than idle about waiting on trade chat. Third: as the bulk of trading is done on prime parts which by and large do not have a colossal impact on gameplay, attempting to compare it to the Runescape or Diablo 3 auction houses are simply false equivalences. Again I relate it  to Payday 2: largely cosmetic items that usually have only minor stat boosts that come out in waves, and follow very similar price trends. Not items bought and sold in stacks of hundred, nor equipment leveled 1-50 with 10 levels of rarity sold, bought, and or resold on the players' market throughout the owners lifetime. This is a system of, "I got it from opening a [crate/box/relic/safe], and I don't want or need it. Better to get some coin for it by selling to someone else". So compare it to games with this same system. 

Edited by timesickGallivanter

What about warframe.market? Works almost the same way. If you want to sell something you post your price, if you want to buy something you check what's on the market and contact the sellers. Only con, it's only on browser. Dont actually think a AH is a concerning matter on this game, since this platform exists, but i understand if you'd prefer something more in-game. Whats about warframe.market? Works almost the same way. If you want to sell something you post your price, if you want to buy something you check what's on the market and contact the sellers. Only con, it's only on browser. Dont actually think an AH is a concerning matter on this game, since this platform exists, but i understand if you'd prefer something more in-game. 

Edited by -Bittersteel-

5 minutes ago, -Bittersteel- said:

What about warframe.market? Works almost the same way. If you want to sell something you post your price, if you want to buy something you check what's on the market and contact the sellers. Only con, it's only on browser. Dont actually think a AH is a concerning matter on this game, since this platform exists, but i understand if you'd prefer something more in-game. Whats about warframe.market? Works almost the same way. If you want to sell something you post your price, if you want to buy something you check what's on the market and contact the sellers. Only con, it's only on browser. Dont actually think an AH is a concerning matter on this game, since this platform exists, but i understand if you'd prefer something more in-game. 

we shouldn't need a third party service to sell S#&$ without a hassle... why the F*** an online game like this, in 2017 can't grasp the concept of An AH a concept has existed since the 90's in so many MMO's and online games... is beyond me... i refuse to use trade chat now days its just a mess.

1 minute ago, LordLokai said:

we shouldn't need a third party service to sell S#&$ without a hassle... why the F*** an online game like this, in 2017 can't grasp the concept of An AH a concept has existed since the 90's in so many MMO's and online games... is beyond me... i refuse to use trade chat now days its just a mess.

Except now we have chat filters which filter out a majority of Trade clutter, currently i only show people with WTB and WTT in thier messages which allows me to see what in trade chat is trending amongst buyers.

Just now, -Bittersteel- said:

What about warframe.market? Works almost the same way. If you want to sell something you post your price, if you want to buy something you check what's on the market and contact the sellers. Only con, it's only on browser.

That's an incredibly terrible con. Here are three major problems with it:

1. Items listed on warframe.market can be for any of the three systems Warframe is available on (PC, Playstation, Xbox). Even if they tagged their system on that site (which they don't), being able to get information on just your own system without the possibility of someone accidentally of putting their listing in the wrong category. Having the listings in game would eliminate this confusion entirely.

2. Signing in through a third party site increases the risk of fraud. As someone who's played Team Fortress 2 since before trading and microtransactions came into play, there have been several instance of individuals who set price lists and individuals who run trading, listing, and backpack sites defrauding their userbase in one way or another. In addition, as I state above there is no good way of getting values for items without personally aggregating data from various sites and in-game price checks. Putting all trading into one hub is just simpler, and given MMOs for the last 20 years have managed to make and run such systems with little to no fuss, I can't see a huge cost of effort on DE's side.

3. Being able to buy something immediately is the largest benefit. In TF2 and Payday 2, I use the Steam marketplace frequently. The ability to up and buy something when I see it go up is the sole reason I have spent as much on those games as I have (Payday DLCs not withstanding). This is the primary point in an in-game trading streamline: more ease of use, more trades, more platinum exchange, more platinum purchases from DE. More is more is more.

Just now, Buzkyl said:

Except now we have chat filters which filter out a majority of Trade clutter, currently i only show people with WTB and WTT in thier messages which allows me to see what in trade chat is trending amongst buyers.

uhh still inefficient and archaic... its like getting a new car, with smart computer that can do everything but then, saying " OH but you need to use DOS commands to operate anything " an Auction House, streamlines everything allows people to be competitive in the market and actually STOPS alot of scams. Since you can compare prices, at touch of a button. Princes will stablize, as people can see what things are worth and what people are willing to pay for them. An auction house.. is basic online trading system 101... why people in this game are so against it blows my mind...as someone that has been playing online games since ultima days its baffling to me...

DE needs to get with the times and just give us an auction house...

2 minutes ago, Buzkyl said:

Even this is a needless expense of time. Similar to the Warframe.market cons, both trade partners must be online at once. Why should this constraint be leveled against what must be the majority of the userbase, the people who work for a living? Those who cannot simply get to a computer and trawl trade chat all day, hoping that the guy with the riven they want is online at the same time as them? As I say above: ease of access means more trading. More trading, more plat, more money to DE. More is more is more.

8 minutes ago, Buzkyl said:

And I just filter out WTS WTT that way I see what some want to buy. Its really quite simple. 

Or say u want to buy Oberon Prime, just filter Oberon and that's all you see. We do not need a "auction house" or whatever OP wants to call it. 

Edited by (XB1)FCastle74

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

And I just filter out WTS WTT that way I see what some want to buy. Its really quite simple. 

Or say u want to buy Oberon Prime, just filter Oberon and that's all you see. We do not need a "auction house"

As someone who has been playing since a month into open beta, looking into my inventory is like examining the layers of an ice core. It is a gross oversimplification to say that I can simply sell my multitude of spares and finish off dozens of sets which are up to four years in the making by simply filtering chat to find compatible traders. Sometimes it works for buying, but selling 13 bronco prime BPs is a tad harder than you might think.

19 minutes ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Or say u want to buy Oberon Prime, just filter Oberon and that's all you see. We do not need a "auction house" or whatever OP wants to call it. 

Yes let's just stay in the dark ages... let's bring back death dropping all your loot >,> i mean not like this is the modern day online game or something...

I want to see you JUSTIFY rationally why an Auction House is bad for the game, and why trade chat is better option? I'd love to hear it... so i can tear it apart and explain why an auction house is better... i mean its not like trade chat won't still exist. Just ya know... we'd have an automated system and not have to deal with reading faster then the flash and superman can read... or praying someone sees our sale through a bazillion lines of text...

The trade chat system is old and archaic plain and simple... stop living in the MUD era of gaming please come join is in the present day

Yes let's just stay in the dark ages... let's bring back death dropping all your loot >,> i mean not like this is the modern day online game or something...

I want to see you JUSTIFY rationally why an Auction House is bad for the game, and why trade chat is better option? I'd love to hear it... so i can tear it apart and explain why an auction house is better... i mean its not like trade chat won't still exist. Just ya know... we'd have an automated system and not have to deal with reading faster then the flash and superman can read... or praying someone sees our sale through a bazillion lines of text...

The trade chat system is old and archaic plain and simple... stop living in the MUD era of gaming please come join is in the present day

Ok, gladly. Set it up. I want you to set up this "auction house" idea. So I can manipulate and cheat it. And I prove to you why it's a horrible idea. Especially in Warframe. I'll wait...

Ok, gladly. Set it up. I want you to set up this "auction house" idea. So I can manipulate and cheat it. And I prove to you why it's a horrible idea. Especially in Warframe. I'll wait...

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

10 minutes ago, LordLokai said:

Don't turn this into a weird flame war, please. "Let me destroy your ideas" and "I'll break a new thing if it happens" aren't constructive.

Eh Auction Houses are tried and true methods for selling items in MMO's a staple that now exists in every major AAA MMO in existence, and alot of multi-player RPG titles like Vindictus, DFO, and the Secret World Legends they exist primarily to help with trades. They do this by setting up a structure, to list items based on parameters such as price, name, and item type. By listing them in this manner you do quite a few things

1: You Display all the items in an easy to search UI allowing players to find the item they want quick, and easy by simply using key words, or numbers or item types.

2: You allow players to quickly and easily put items up for sale with out having to " STOP " playing for long periods to sit in an auction house, or in some bazaar thus allowing quick and easy access and to keep playing while your items sales. Picking up your cash at your own convenience thus preserving the flow of the game.

3: Most important facet of this is " balancing " the market place, and this is by far the most vital thing an auction house does. You already see this happening via warframe markets where most people go to check prices, and see both highs and lowes of an item, thus allowing competition and free market place trends to settle in. Its same reason free markets are so vital in the real world, when you have competition prices will drop and balance themselves out over time and while some HATE the idea of earning less plat in game, per item understand that paying 600 plat for a frame part or 2000 plat for a riven is probably over pricing at its finest. Because people cant at this point EASILY see what current prices are, and many dont even know warframe markets exist thus many people get cheated by the system.

and...

Major perks of an Auction House are ease of access, use, and balancing of the market... Warframe Markets already does this to an extent But WHAT this does do is KILL scammers, and cut out the middle man. It allows us to directly buy and sell with out ever having to mess with talking to people or messing with miss communication. How many times have i went to do a trade only to have the other person out to trades for the day, or even myself not noticing that i was low on credits because i spent them upgrading my prime mods. Its something we all do, the Auction house prevents this and thus stops us wasting our time sitting around doing nothing...

This isn't even a new concept... this is tried and true methods implemented and tested by countless companies...and it works... are even variations like City of Heroes where you never saw the price but simply placed a bid and if your bid was higher then what someone was selling it for you won that item. This worked pretty well...and prevented gaming the system to a degree.

What we have now though is just archaic... old... and out dated, its a system used pre-auction house when bazaar's were the norm and is very Korean in origin... a system that most western players aren't that fond of. Basically an auction house system fixes most of the trade systems problems... and yes i get that it has its problems but i'd much rather deal with auction house problems then, deal with broken &#! trade chat! WHICH i'll add still exists in most auction house based systems. People still use trade chat to sell stuff, and its still a place to earn cash... its just not end all be all...

I'm afraid that an auction house might lower prices too much.  This isn't like RuneScape where the majority of items are either incredibly rare, difficult to obtain, or needed in bulk.  It seems like Rivens or certain mods like Acolyte mods are some of the few things in Warframe that are rare or difficult to get but nothing in Warframe is needed in bulk except maybe Endo.  MMO's I've played also don't have necessary items (slots, potatoes if you need them) locked behind a premium currency.  If the price of items in trade drops too much, suddenly you need to sell 5 rare items in order to earn enough plat to buy a Warframe slot.

I'm not against getting a better trading system but any new system needs to be inaccessible enough to keep prices around current levels, at least for the more commonly traded items.

Just now, djternan said:

I'm afraid that an auction house might lower prices too much.  This isn't like RuneScape where the majority of items are either incredibly rare, difficult to obtain, or needed in bulk.  It seems like Rivens or certain mods like Acolyte mods are some of the few things in Warframe that are rare or difficult to get but nothing in Warframe is needed in bulk except maybe Endo.  MMO's I've played also don't have necessary items (slots, potatoes if you need them) locked behind a premium currency.  If the price of items in trade drops too much, suddenly you need to sell 5 rare items in order to earn enough plat to buy a Warframe slot.

I'm not against getting a better trading system but any new system needs to be inaccessible enough to keep prices around current levels, at least for the more commonly traded items.

Inaccessibility is never something a designer should strive for, though I can see where you're coming from. I feel prices would be highly varied based on item type and proximity to release, similar to the way Payday 2's items rapidly change in price on the Steam marketplace. Because there is no other outlet for these items to be traded in, rarity and time since release are major influences. Relics and the free-to-open crates in Payday both drop for short periods of time, drop similar ratios of rare items, and there are a variety of items which will never be again obtainable due to being out of the drop tables. I would therefor expect prime parts to follow similar trends. 1-2 weeks of extremely high values, decreasing in the time between its release and the next set's release, then a steady march back up in value which will be further increased when a new wave of players join en masse as happens from time to time in these sorts of games that encourage long-term time investments by players.

3 hours ago, timesickGallivanter said:

That's an incredibly terrible con. Here are three major problems with it:

1. Items listed on warframe.market can be for any of the three systems Warframe is available on (PC, Playstation, Xbox). Even if they tagged their system on that site (which they don't), being able to get information on just your own system without the possibility of someone accidentally of putting their listing in the wrong category. Having the listings in game would eliminate this confusion entirely.

2. Signing in through a third party site increases the risk of fraud. As someone who's played Team Fortress 2 since before trading and microtransactions came into play, there have been several instance of individuals who set price lists and individuals who run trading, listing, and backpack sites defrauding their userbase in one way or another. In addition, as I state above there is no good way of getting values for items without personally aggregating data from various sites and in-game price checks. Putting all trading into one hub is just simpler, and given MMOs for the last 20 years have managed to make and run such systems with little to no fuss, I can't see a huge cost of effort on DE's side.

3. Being able to buy something immediately is the largest benefit. In TF2 and Payday 2, I use the Steam marketplace frequently. The ability to up and buy something when I see it go up is the sole reason I have spent as much on those games as I have (Payday DLCs not withstanding). This is the primary point in an in-game trading streamline: more ease of use, more trades, more platinum exchange, more platinum purchases from DE. More is more is more.

1. You see which sysmtem it's on, it says so before the nickname - (PS4)xxxSlayerXxx for example.

I'm afraid that an auction house might lower prices too much

^ You're trading comfort for getting less plat. In general. At the same time, if you will eve want to buy something more or less rare not for insanely ridiculous price you won't be able to. Trade chat is a place where you come to bargain or try you luck, market is where you come to see the minimum price usually and sell something quick and painless. If it will turn into one thing it'll be a pretty sad place because everyone will demand  same prices - people already say that "x costs y on market" well champ, it's not like only you know about the market if it costs y there why woul I bother with a trade chat? As example.

Edited by -Temp0-

2 minutes ago, toafarmer said:

Great idea, I wonder why they never did that in Diablo 3. Oh, wait...

It's odd that you would even bring this up, given D3's primary trade was the myriad random pieces of equipment that grew incrementally more powerful and could be acquired more easily via payment than work (for some). It's not exactly the same, is it? In warframe, the primary trade is in prime parts. A small portion is various rare mods being traded from old players to new, with an even smaller portion done in rivens and event mods and the like. As a result, the overwhelming majority of trade would be (as I've stated above) most directly comparable to the economy of Payday 2. Read: you can get a shinier version of something which may have infinitesimally better stats, but which are neither game-breakingly powerful nor necessary for general players' enjoyment. 

4 hours ago, (Xbox One)FCastle74 said:

Okay here i go:

-pay to list system: Every listing costs 25k credits or 5p

-taxes: depending on the desired plat amount the ah will take 0-10% plat off from your final payment

-Mr listing limit: players can list when they reach mr2 amd gain one listing place for every mr

- anonimity: No information is given out on the sellers and buyers

-anonym chat: Through the trade post traders and sellers can talk with each other without seeing names

-one side only: Theres no need for the seller to be online

-automation fee: If the seller was offline when the trade finished he gets an additional 2% plat deducted from the final payment

-combined listings: Multiple listings can be bought simultenously (see big space requiring sets)

-buyer limitation: players can buy items from mr2 and they gain one additional "round" to buy every 2nd mr. 

-every buying and listing deducts from the trade limit

-you can browse every listing to check prices

-force closing: your listed items are closed down for 24h. you cant take them out or change their prices unless you made an agreement in the anonym chat

-agreement system: once an item is listed players can barter for it with the seller at the trade "kiosk". An agreement is a system created direct trade offer what immidieatly trades items if the seller accepts it.

-closed days: Every 4th day the auction house empties itself and sends all items back to the sellers

-barter systems:players can offer any item to trade not just plat.

-minimum price: No item can be sold for less than 5p. Items with 5p price dont have taxes and the listing is free.

-Fraud control: every items price is monitored, if an item loses its price too quickly (25% price drop in a day) then its price locks down and gets overwritten to the precious days lowest price +10p.

-Monopol control: If an items price gets drastically increased (15% price increase a day) then its price gets locked down and gets overwrittem to the previous days lowest price -10p.

-Observation: De can at any time lock out deflated/inflated items from the Ah similarly to vaulting

-Listing limit: A person can list up as much its as the previous limitation lets him but he cannot list anymore items. Each listing deducts the limit and those refresh at every auction house clear out.

5 minutes ago, Fugana said:

Auction house is what ruined so many games! so NO. 

Care to elaborate at all? 

please don't say Diablo 3 when I've already had to go into detail on why that's not comparable, or WoW/Runescape/Guildwars/Everquest, in which the point of trading is, as I have also had to explain, is trading up incremental gear over and over and over instead of buying cosmetics which sometimes have negligible stat differences as we do in Warframe/TF2/Payday 2/every other crates-and-trading game wow this is a crazy run-on sentence huh?

14 hours ago, timesickGallivanter said:

In TF2 and Payday 2, I use the Steam marketplace frequently. The ability to up and buy something when I see it go up is the sole reason I have spent as much on those games as I have (Payday DLCs not withstanding). This is the primary point in an in-game trading streamline: more ease of use, more trades, more platinum exchange, more platinum purchases from DE. More is more is more.

Steam marketplace is only available for paying players. Additionally, Steam marketplace has a tax on Steam funds received from a sale.

Warframe's trading is entirely free and the game does not have plat taxation.

In order for an automated marketplace to work, it would need a significant percentage based tax on the currency being used, platinum being the currency in this case. Otherwise, it incentivizes "gold buying" as well as has the tendency to drive prices down to obscurity. Even with a tax, an automated marketplace will probably drive most prices down to the bare minimum due to Warframe's lack of a good gold sink for mods and prime parts.

13 hours ago, LordLokai said:

Eh Auction Houses are tried and true methods for selling items in MMO's a staple that now exists in every major AAA MMO in existence, and alot of multi-player RPG titles like Vindictus, DFO, and the Secret World Legends they exist primarily to help with trades.

Most of the time, auction houses are back-of-the-box features that devs put in simply because it is the norm, without actually contemplating the effects it would have. The most extreme example would be Diablo 3's.

In Vindictus, the auction house has created two separate economies: an economy for end game and paid currency items, and an economy for everything else, in which end game materials and gear are simply too expensive to obtain by selling mediocre items.

Many other games which feature an automated auction house suffer the same issue in which rare items are infinitely more expensive than common / uncommon items which leaves players to either having to spend real money or praying to RNGesus that those <1% drop chance items actually drop before they can earn a good amount of in game currency.

8 hours ago, timesickGallivanter said:

Care to elaborate at all? 

In addition to increasing the disparity between rare items and everything else, automated trade systems are prone to manipulation by players.

For items that are exceedingly rare or limited in quantity, players with enough wealth can monopolize or ogliopolize those items. This has actually happened in games with an automated trading system and, for the most part, cannot be prevented in an automated trading system. Even with Warframe's limited trades per day, an ogliopoly is still very possible.

Undercutting not only drives down prices, but also makes it harder to sell items as your listed item will only get constantly pushed further away from the "acceptable price", AKA the cheapest price, until someone buys all of the cheaper ones.

Edited by Heckzu
Corrected a word

29 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

lots of things which I can't figure out how to break up into separate quotes because I'm bad at forums

First of all, Steam's Marketplace has a tax because Valve literally wouldn't have bothered making it otherwise. They wouldn't put the work into it if it didn't somehow pay them. However, if DE were to make an in-game marketplace which used all platinum, they get the exact same benefits they already have: people are trading the currency they bought from DE. Therefore, this does not change anything. Do you think they're going to be shelling out millions to host a marketplace? That the cost of upkeep would be so high that they'll be so high as to require...what? An exorbitant plat tax that would make it less than worthwhile? As I have stated about 50 times thus far, more is more is more. If trading's easier to do, there are more trades. More trades means more plat being bought. If they make more in increased sales than they do in the cost of running such a service (which cannot be much, given how much data they must already be working with on their item servers), they wouldn't even need some plat tax. As neither one of us run the budget for DE, maybe learn to use if/then statements instead of declaring it to be decided fact.

Second, trading in Warframe is absolute rubbish. That marketplaces and auction houses are common in other MMOs shouldn't be reason to discard the idea that the process ought to be streamlined in this one. 

Thirdly, as I have had to point out numerous times already, your comparison is a false equivalence. In warframe, 95% of our trades are cosmetics with a negligible impact on the gameplay itself. It is a different breed entirely to trading consisting of "You must have this legendary weapon to complete the last 10 raids, pay US$50 for it" or "I have 50 pauldrons I cannot use, so I'm selling them for copper/silver/gold on the auction house to buy the next level's gear with the same fake money". This is crates and cosmetics, not necessary equipment. This is all frivolous bull;. I love my primes, but we all know they don't actually matter. Apples and oranges. 

Fourthly, in regards to "rare items [being] infinitesimally more expensive than common / uncommon items which leaves players to either having to spend real money or praying to RNGesus that those <1% drop chance items actually drop before they can earn a good amount of in game currency.": this is literally no different from Warframe. Not in the slightest. Well, the slightest. In this game rare items are infinitely more expensive. Infinitely. As in, the opposite of infinitesimally. 

And lastly but certainly not least, I apparently need to break the news that monopolies and ogliopolies will always, always be possible in any trade system. Seeing the same people selling a dozen each of all the most expensive prime sets day after day in trade chat should be enough indication that it happens with the tedious system we have now, so let's not pretend like a trade system that isn't rubbish would be the death of us. After all, as much time as it takes to get anything done with the system we have, we're much likely to die while staring at trade chat.That's basic probability. 

edit: removed the garble text after "bull"

Edited by timesickGallivanter