Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Being the Stalker at Tennocon?

The_Stalker

Alright so just a few minutes ago my friend messaged me this and of course I went nuts.  What I want to know is was this only a Tennocon thing where it was just for funnzies or do you guys think that this can become a real mode?  

Because this has been something people have been discussing for a long long time and to see this means maybe there is a chance?  Honestly even if it isn't I'm still happy that this was shown even if it was for fun.

IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS

So after reading through the first few of the pages you guys have contributed some good ideas on how to limit/fix this mode.

- Give the option to turn this on/off.

Basically this would just give the option to enable/disable Player Stalkers to hunt you.  This option would be found in the settings most likely under gameplay and when turned off/on the player shall be given a prompt asking "Are you sure?"

- Limit what the Stalker can and cannot attack.

One problem that most of you have seen is that during this video the audience was shouting out to go and mess with the Tenno's objective, this consisted of destroying the defense cryopod, killing the rescue target, setting off spy lasers, etc.  

To avoid this the Player Stalker shall either be given a penalty for doing actions such as the ones listed above instead of hunting their target OR the Player Stalker cannot interact with any of the objectives.

- Give the Stalker some type of gear wheel.

The gear wheel would just consist of actions or gimmicks we have seen the Stalker use, such as locking all the doors.

- Limit what missions the Stalker can go into.

These missions would mostly consist of Raids, Assassinations, Sorties.

- Bonus for both parties.

An example of this would be if let's say the hunted defeated Stalker, the Stalker will drop more loot and possibly rarer loot than his AI counterpart.

If the Stalker succeeds with his hunt then that player possibly receives some points that they can spend on for something Stalker related, kind of like conclave/syndicates.

Edited by The_Stalker
Adding reasons for discussion

So now it has been confirmed that DE can do this. I think DE should definitely implement this or something similar to the game. Looks like a lot of fun.

To solve the issue of people not wanting to get beaten up by another player while doing a mission, it should have a setting in the options that is off by default, and warns the player about what this allows when they try to enable it.

c81.gif

If anything, I like the 'varied AI'. (cough cough) This would keep players on their toes, not because they have a meta way of dealing with him, but because they're not used to the Stalker trying to do a SABOTAGE mission. :P

Survival mission in play? Pop all of the air tanks. Exterminate? Kill enemies to prolong their mission. Spy? Hit the alarms or steal the data for a different reward. Have a gear wheel button to summon way more enemies, or lock the doors. Drop a random Death Squad on them, or force an applicable Operator out of their 'frame for a duration. Chase after people in Archwing missions, or say hello during an Assassination. Call out Rail specters, Silver Grove guardians, Inaros statues, and ..........peek into someone's Orbiter?

The guy who was showing it off and explained it to the crowd said that it may or may not be released someday. It was his pet project that he had been working on, on the side and he thought it was fun. It was still very buggy in use, and one of the invasions went very oddly. 

1 minute ago, Lust said:

The guy who was showing it off and explained it to the crowd said that it may or may not be released someday. It was his pet project that he had been working on, on the side and he thought it was fun. It was still very buggy in use, and one of the invasions went very oddly. 

Ah ok, I never got to see the full presentation but I did see one of the invasions bug out which was interesting.  But saying that it may or may not be released someday gives me hope. :)

Not only do I so want this in game, I would so love to do this whenever I am done my daily runs. Some people would just stalk new players...

...I'm that jerk that would hunt you down in Sortie 3 during a boss or at the end of the raid.

Edited by (PS4)DBR87

That looks nice and all, but when do we get to do the REAL Stalker stuff?

Like cutting himself just to see if he can still feel. Writing dark and broody haikus. And making ludicrously powerful mods for his Acolytes to drop when they get their assets kicked.

That looks as nice and fun concept but I am a bit sceptical about it. This shouldn't be forced on every player (I hate conclave and its erratic movement). It would be nice if you can opt in / opt out into it somehow so you can still check it out if you want but not be forced to fight against conclave veterans running as edgelords.

Absolutely not. Not ever. Not even once. 

As has been proven, whenever people talk about PvP invasions, they never, ever talk about the honourable challenge, it is always, 100% of the time, a means of just griefing other players, of 'punishing n00bs'.

I would support the inclusion of such a mode if it included the potential to backfire catastrophically on the attacking player. For instance, if they invaded and lost to the defender, they forfeit their most played Warframe, and had their name published in the Relays as a failed Stalker assassin. Sounds about right.

Jesus, look at the way people are already talking about it. Hunting newbies? Specifically sabotaging Sortie 3 missions? Yeah, this kind of malignant cancer is definitely what Warframe needs.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

Perhaps in future quests we could corrupt our warframes, perhaps we could essentially make them sentient and this is the result? Similar to Acolytes and whatnot? I'm not sure what DE are intending to do but now i'm curious...

1 hour ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Absolutely not. Not ever. Not even once. 

As has been proven, whenever people talk about PvP invasions, they never, ever talk about the honourable challenge, it is always, 100% of the time, a means of just griefing other players, of 'punishing n00bs'.

I would support the inclusion of such a mode if it included the potential to backfire catastrophically on the attacking player. For instance, if they invaded and lost to the defender, they forfeit their most played Warframe, and had their name published in the Relays as a failed Stalker assassin. Sounds about right.

Jesus, look at the way people are already talking about it. Hunting newbies? Specifically sabotaging Sortie 3 missions? Yeah, this kind of malignant cancer is definitely what Warframe needs.

Well, it's not like you kill everyone and let them fail their mission, your objective is to kill the target and be gone. That is it.

Seems fine by me, makes the stalker more fun to fight.

2 minutes ago, Nihillian said:

Well, it's not like you kill everyone and let them fail their mission, your objective is to kill the target and be gone. That is it.

Seems fine by me, makes the stalker more fun to fight.

Did you catch the part about people deliberately aiming to force mission failure? That in fact, that's one of the very first things which people did with the trial of the mode at Tennocon?

Well, guess they can tune that stuff out right? As they said, they made it in about 3 weeks. That is nowhere near fine tuned content. 

I see this mode as Dark Souls Invasions. Except if you die, you won't lose all your progression.

As for protection objectives, make it so that the objective can't be harmed by the person playing the stalker. seems like a simple thing?

I am pretty sure that people have already addressed the same concerns towards them when playing this. It's not like EVERYONE is an A*****e.

Edited by Nihillian

8 hours ago, -YoRHa- said:

So now it has been confirmed that DE can do this. I think DE should definitely implement this or something similar to the game. Looks like a lot of fun.

To solve the issue of people not wanting to get beaten up by another player while doing a mission, it should have a setting in the options that is off by default, and warns the player about what this allows when they try to enable it.

c81.gif

As long as they implement the same rules for invasion as the current stalker. Meaning, you don't get to pick who you invade, but instead invade sinners who have killed bosses. For the stalker interface, they can add an option on the world map where you can see nodes with sinners in them light up. Or they can give us a list of prolific sinners.

The point is, totally random invasions aren't a good idea. Even Dark Souls gives you a way of opting out of them.

And for those worrying about forcing mission failure - DE could always lock the mission status while the Stalker is there so you can't win or lose until you deal with him. It works in Dark Souls. The mission will go on, and as soon as the stalker is dealt with, players will still need to capture towers in Interception or deal with life support in survival, and when the stalker is dealt with, the mission will react accordingly - proceeding, or getting failed or ending. Whatever the met conditions are.

33 minutes ago, Nihillian said:

Well, guess they can tune that stuff out right? As they said, they made it in about 3 weeks. That is nowhere near fine tuned content. 

I see this mode as Dark Souls Invasions. Except if you die, you won't lose all your progression.

As for protection objectives, make it so that the objective can't be harmed by the person playing the stalker. seems like a simple thing?

I am pretty sure that people have already addressed the same concerns towards them when playing this. It's not like EVERYONE is an A*****e.

Yes. Everyone is. Every single time that I have ever, ever, ever seen anything like this proposed, the tone has not been "What a thrill! What a challenge! The most dangerous game, one's fellow player!"

The tone has been "Yeah! I'm gonna spawn in and automatically win, to punish those filthy scrubs! I wanna ruin everyone's day!"

The message is clear. People who want this system are not even the slightest bit interested in a genuine PvP challenge. They want a God mode griefing engine.