Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[DE Request] Integrate Polls into the Launcher

Xekrin

There is a lot of controversy about vocal forum/reddit users making all the decisions regarding changes, nerfs, what gets reworked etc.  I always see something along the lines of "only 10% of warframe players even visit the forums" or whatever number makes better sense.  We do not really have a way to reach every single player, few even bother with the News Console on their ship half the time and stumble around trying to find patch notes and why this or that was changed.

I think if DE integrated a Polling System into the Launcher of Warframe, that every single player would see upon opening the game, it could very possibly go a long way towards getting much more efficient and usable data on what the players think about one thing or another.

That's pretty much it, just a random idea.

This is actually a very interesting and amazing idea. It would help DE know what players think and feel about certain things about the game without going to the forums. Maybe they could add a comment section to the poll as well so players could easily discuss the topic which could give DE even more valuable information.

Edited by FinkLord

The very vocal do not decide the game changes. The devs usually have something in mind already, which is why they do the dev workshops. There are moments when an idea is so good the devs work hard to get it in the game, but the players do not decide where the game goes. 

I feel this is a direct jab at the design council. They have very limited power. The most they decide is a warframe name if the devs can't decide on one, or vote on augments, which never always line up with the votes anyways (See the whole ivara navigator augment thing). 

Thirdly, and I'm saying this. Players do not know what is best for the game. There can be hundreds of different suggestions for one part of the game, you can never please everyone, there will always be a group that hates a change. If the devs implemented every change the "vocal group" wanted, it would be a huge mess and warframe would have died before the first year. 

Edited by Sajochi

44 minutes ago, Sajochi said:

The very vocal do not decide the game changes.

I said there is controversy, not that its actually true.  I've seen plenty of comments about how so and so hates a change and it only happened because of forum complaints.  I mention it as hearsay not actual fact.  I'm well aware that DE does what they believe is best, whether it coincides with the vocal majority or not.

I feel this is a direct jab at the design council.

It is not.  I am on DC, I know what limited power we wield.

Players do not know what is best for the game.

While this is true I can say with some confidence that when the community agrees on a particular matter it does hold some value to DE when they make decisions.

One such case is Vandals and/or Wraiths getting the ability to be colored.  Many people wanted this.  It makes no actual impact on the game itself but because so many players want it, it was considered 'important' by DE.  Watch the Tennocon art panel if you don't believe me.  

There are plenty of other such cases where a popular opinion helps DE decide on what to do.  It does not force their hand by any means, but they do take careful note of what the community wants.

What better way to know what the community wants than to ... ask?  That is all I'm suggesting, if we were faced with a quick poll while the launcher updates the game or just checks for updates then perhaps more players would weigh in on whatever important matter DE decides to put up on this launcher Poll page.

If the devs implemented every change the "vocal group" wanted, it would be a huge mess and warframe would have died before the first year. 

In no way am I suggesting that DE just randomly goes in 500 different directions just because a few people want something and say they want it.

I hope this clarifies my idea.

Edited by Xekrin

3 hours ago, Sajochi said:

Players do not know what is best for the game.

Who else would know what is good for the game than the players? In the last year i have seen 2 great games slowly dying (one is already dead) because the devs had their own vision and it never matched what the players wanted. (firefall and robocraft)

9 hours ago, Sajochi said:

The very vocal do not decide the game changes. The devs usually have something in mind already, which is why they do the dev workshops. There are moments when an idea is so good the devs work hard to get it in the game, but the players do not decide where the game goes. 

I feel this is a direct jab at the design council. They have very limited power. The most they decide is a warframe name if the devs can't decide on one, or vote on augments, which never always line up with the votes anyways (See the whole ivara navigator augment thing). 

Thirdly, and I'm saying this. Players do not know what is best for the game. There can be hundreds of different suggestions for one part of the game, you can never please everyone, there will always be a group that hates a change. If the devs implemented every change the "vocal group" wanted, it would be a huge mess and warframe would have died before the first year. 

You say that the very vocal group is gonna be the ones to use this to make the devs to make changes but wouldn't poll this allow less vocal players who don't use the forums to get their opinion about something out. All players use the launcher (Because they need it to start the game of course) but only a small amount go to the forums. If this poll is implemented to the launcher then DE can get an opinion from most of the player base instead of the small amount on the forums.

8 hours ago, Fallen_Echo said:

Who else would know what is good for the game than the players? In the last year i have seen 2 great games slowly dying (one is already dead) because the devs had their own vision and it never matched what the players wanted. (firefall and robocraft)

The actual people who have their entire livelihood based on the success of the game. The players would absolutely forgo long-term viability of the game for short-term changes to suit whatever whim the hivemind had today.

The devs listen, but have a vision for the game. I say absolutely not for polls deciding anything beyond the superficial.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

I say absolutely not for polls deciding anything beyond the superficial.

LOL who said anything about polls making decisions for the devs?  It is to get the player's opinion, to see what they want, it would decide nothing at all.

Poll question example

Do you like Carrot Cake?

• Yes!
  • No!

It doesn't mean the winning vote decides the fate of every player eating carrot cake (or not) for the rest of their  lives, it just shows who likes what.

Been asked for before.   Wasn't done then, prob won't now.    Still, the game needs it.    Our "news" terminal on Ordis is a very under utilized piece of kit.    Sad, no, pathetic is a better word for it,  that another forum has sway at all over the game.     No different than DE's staff releasing info on twitter and other media without doing so on their own damn forum.   

If I could, would plus 10 this one.

Edited by _Vortus_
add +++++

1 hour ago, Xekrin said:

LOL who said anything about polls making decisions for the devs?  It is to get the player's opinion, to see what they want, it would decide nothing at all.

Poll question example

Do you like Carrot Cake?

• Yes!
  • No!

It doesn't mean the winning vote decides the fate of every player eating carrot cake (or not) for the rest of their  lives, it just shows who likes what.

So it's pointless, and therefore it goes at the end of the list of things to do? Or is there something I'm missing between your OP and your reply, because it sounds like you wanted DE to poll about game things.

1 hour ago, _Vortus_ said:

Been asked for before.   Wasn't done then, prob won't now.    Still, the game needs it.    Our "news" terminal on Ordis is a very under utilized piece of kit.    Sad, no, pathetic is a better word for it,  that another forum has sway at all over the game.     No different than DE's staff releasing info on twitter and other media without doing so on their own damn forum.   

If I could, would plus 10 this one.

What forum has sway over the game in any kind of "real" sense?

42 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

What forum has sway over the game in any kind of "real" sense?

Any forum where a developer responds to posts is in some form or another holding sway.  As they got the developer to respond and that response isn't on their own forum.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

So it's pointless, and therefore it goes at the end of the list of things to do? Or is there something I'm missing between your OP and your reply, because it sounds like you wanted DE to poll about game things.

No.   Questions like, On the Day/Night cycle for the star map, its currently on a 4 hour cycle.   Should they A: increase the number of hours per cycle, B: decrease the number of hours per cycle C: leave as is.   What levels should higher level nodes start at as the game stands now? A: Fine as is - B: 60-70 - C: 70-80 D: 80+     Plenty of questions and polls could be put up to gauge the feeling of players for the game.   Pretty sure he was just using Carrot Cake as a filler question.  Though they could also just use it for nonsense and humor as well.

While it would be nice if they asked for opinions I do not want them to follow all of them. Of the players got there way all frames would be press 4 to win, you could get tons of reward for no effort, and we would have an infinite ammo OHKO gun. The devs should be allowed to follow there own vision  because it is their game, not ours. We may think we know what we want but we don't. 

Sounds goo but maybe lock it depending on what zone of the community they want. It'll probs be super complicated but basically if they wanna make some changes to Raids they wouldn't want to ask every single player including the ones that played for 3 days or people that just don't care.

That's why the forums are here, there's a connection from game to here(even if it is to patches 99% of the time). Helps weed out empty opinions.

Also, they are smart at DE. Personally I just prefer to let them handle the stuff. But cannot negate the occasional good change that stems from the community being vocal.

11 hours ago, peterc3 said:

The actual people who have their entire livelihood based on the success of the game. The players would absolutely forgo long-term viability of the game for short-term changes to suit whatever whim the hivemind had today.

The devs listen, but have a vision for the game. I say absolutely not for polls deciding anything beyond the superficial.

Okay im gonna modify the question because you seem to have problems with grasping the faults of the original saying.

Who knows how to make a better staying experience in a hotel?

The staff or the people who come there for vacation?

3 hours ago, Jeoxz said:

Sounds goo but maybe lock it depending on what zone of the community they want. It'll probs be super complicated but basically if they wanna make some changes to Raids they wouldn't want to ask every single player including the ones that played for 3 days or people that just don't care.

Mastery rank depending on content along with some changes to filter people like (only those can vote who have tried the specific raid atleast once).

That's why the forums are here, there's a connection from game to here(even if it is to patches 99% of the time). Helps weed out empty opinions. How would you know theres an important thread what could affect lets say your favorite node on the starchart if you dont come up daily to the forums?

Also, they are smart at DE. Personally I just prefer to let them handle the stuff. But cannot negate the occasional good change that stems from the community being vocal.

We need to make the whole community vocal, because currently we have 3 minority who comes to the devs to make their opinions heard.

The design council, the forum lurkers and the devstream watcher and out of this 3 only the dc and the lurkers are actively talking here, but theyre still nothing but a minority in the playerbase.

4 hours ago, Miser_able said:

While it would be nice if they asked for opinions I do not want them to follow all of them. Of the players got there way all frames would be press 4 to win, you could get tons of reward for no effort, and we would have an infinite ammo OHKO gun. You might have missed it but the forum is 2 sided, one wants to keep the game fun and casual while the others want to turn it into dark souls experience.

The devs should be allowed to follow there own vision  because it is their game, not ours. We may think we know what we want but we don't. 

And if they manage to destroy their game and drive off the players becuase they followed their own vision, we gonna stand here and say:

it is their game, not ours. We may think we know what we want but we don't. 

As i said upper:

Who knows how to make a better staying experience in a hotel?

The staff or the people who come there for vacation?

The devs dont really need to make everything happen what some madman posts here, but if we have a threads where more than 500 players wants changes to lets say LImbo  they should really go and do something about it and not just go Soon™.

Polls as a means to get a feel for community opinion, fine. Polls as a binding ''DE, you must do this.'' method, no. I don't trust my fellow players even for a second, to know what is good for this game on the long term. I'll put my trust in the people who build the actual game.

I'd be totally up for this honestly. Not really sure why people think this would be a bad idea. If the Devs really feel it's a bad choice, they can feel free to disregard it, it's their game after all and our opinions don't always dictate what they put into or take out of the game anyways. Yet just having the option is always nice, especially since it would be rather easy to implement and would allow most of the community to get in on the games decisions without having to really do much at all.

Now, as to how you could implement it on the login screen nicely without it being a bit of an eyesore or out of place is beyond me, though.

7 hours ago, --Q--Voltage said:

I would think this belongs in General Feedback though.

Funny since that is where it orginated, a mod must have moved it out of feedback.

1 hour ago, Artorius-Alter said:

Polls as a binding ''DE, you must do this.'' method, no.

If I made some sort of indication that I wanted DE to ask us for our opinion and then were suddenly bound to do so that was not my intention.  The purpose would be to get a slightly more viable way to reach every player instead of relying on forums/reddit/twitter.  I mean they literally put polls and questions in general on each of those already, so why not expand that to include everyone instead of just those who happen to frequent social media.

It could also be expanded to be a more centralized location for providing us with interesting tidbits that are usually only found on twitter or reddit.

In a nutshell I want the Launcher to have its very own 'Red Text' section where DE can throw up neat previews of upcoming changes (such as found on twitter) or ask our opinion on something (as I've seen a few times on twitter and reddit and very likely discord).  Occasionally they can put up a poll like how are we enjoying the new weapon just released, or which tennogen was the best looking.

There are plenty of aspects of this that people are completely overlooking in favor of fearing the worst, that DE will somehow be bound to do what all players vote on.

That would not be the case at all.

Edited by Xekrin

9 hours ago, (Xbox One)Graysmog said:

Now, as to how you could implement it on the login screen nicely without it being a bit of an eyesore or out of place is beyond me, though.

gkqKzts.png

They could just put it there. Seems like a nice place that wouldn't be an eyesore.

Edited by FinkLord