The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do robots have souls?

Axdivide

so the description of nekros' first ability reads as follows:
"Soul punch:
A blow so powerful, it turns the enemy's very soul into a deadly projectile, damaging all in its path."
now ingame this basically means you cast the ability on an enemy, that enemy takes damage and releases that weird floating "smoke" thing  which homes onto other enemies. Going by the description of the ability that means this "smoke" is the "soul" of the enemy. So far so normal.

But then it hit me. during a corpus capture mission (in which i was farming for tempo royal) I used my soul punch on a corpus robot (more specifically an oxium drone) and the ability worked just like it would otherwise. the same "smoke" homing in on other enemies. So... does that mean that robots have souls, and think and feel just like other humans. Have we, in all our time fighting the corpus, killed so many more living beings than we thought since robots seem to have a soul just like every other crewman, since nekros can use it for a soul punch? Do the robots even want to fight us or are they being forced to by thier programming, do they have a choice? Is there a corpus Wall-E and EVE? Are we the villians?

f977f75304f2b2dc0f6a5c34118d1cce.jpg

I have a question for you... are you f-ing serious ? :)

if robots have souls they are androids or cyborgs.  robots dont have souls. think of it as energy for corpus and life energy ( souls )  for living things

Edited by Dark5eiD

Sure, a computer could probably be sophisticated enough to ponder the possibility of some sort of imaginary life-essence, accept it as fact, and adjust its behavior accordingly. It sounds like pretty buggy software, but the Corpus aren't exactly the best engineers in their own human future-history.

If you accept that the soul is imaginary, then with his first ability, Nekros is just showing that there is "no greater power than the simple thought of your own name, inscribed upon a grave." That is, he's giving his victim a "soul's eye view" of its own body, forcing it to come to terms with its own mortality, or die in the process.

Current A.I. that don't utilize human baselines in the Sol Origin system have around the I.Q. of their namesake animals, so, if you don't mind murdering a trained ostrich or a bird-of-prey, you should hardly feel anything for the dumb bots. Even the prototypes are just mindlessly loyal parrots who regurgitate their current system processes and propaganda.

@Niggurathoth

If you want a REAL answer from the Tennos Community, and the "morale" of Tennos action.

1) You struggle to find the answer, and likely will settle for some thing that hide you from the light.

2) Ask the Japanese, if not akk the Native American, or ask if any Civilization learned and not repeat.

3) This matter is for your own Research, and while there is different takes on the matters, it is up to the person's belief, then again some want those consequences.

Thanks for sharing.

PS there was a post in Forum asking if Tennos rampant Massacre is justified, then what is (Space) Ninja?

Edited by DesFrSpace

1 minute ago, Dark5eiD said:

why do you have a pic or screen shot showing you logged in as my account ?

Reveal hidden contents

RFhYidN.jpg

i actually have the same thing but its my account, and i can even click the notification button and other "interactable" things, so i am very confused as to what this exactly is.

56 minutes ago, Niggurathoth said:

[Do Corpus Proxies have souls?]

I think the summary of their restrained adaptive programming could, if unhinged, be classed as a 'soul'.

The only example of an unhinged, adaptive mechanical entity is The Sentients ( :sentient: ). So far, Hunhow's Fragments, Fighters, Forms, or 'Children' appear to have souls in the same or similar manner or way as to how Corpus proxies have them.

I mean, imagine capturing a Razorback, removing it's programming biases and restraints, and then setting it loose on the Plains of Eidolon to help fight Eidolon's 'Bursa-Raptors' - since the one seen, despite that tree stuck to it, visually has a similar silhouette to both an Osprey (wings) and a Moa (legs).

In summary; Nekros' soul punch affects anything that has anything thought-ish in it, be it a YES/NO variable (cameras) to the thinking processes of a Lancer (Grineer).

Remember how in the Ambulas Reborn event, Glast wanted to stop the Corpus proxies from developing Sentient-level intelligence?

Maybe they aren't there just yet, but think of this. One day you might share a drink with the local Gentlemoa.

I prefer to take the lazy lane and go completely Aristotelian about it: in Aristotle's philosophy only compounds that are alive have souls, I'll assume Corpus proxies and mechanization are not living compounds and therefore lack of soul, since it is the soul what make things living. Furthermore, the proxies show no evidence of concern or involvement in any of the levels of entelecheia nor energeia since the proxies act in view of a given directive and not using an end within itself (prime characteristic of the form-soul within in-formed creatures).... so I'll go with no :community::crylaugh: