Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should we call this a shooter?

EldricNorigawa

Question

Edit: I stopped playing a while back, and just recently came back for the open world update... Then I remembered this post. I decided to delete my experiences, and opinions about the subject so it won't be as confusing to any people who view this in the future.

Edited by EldricNorigawa

13 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, kyori said:

I think it is more of action game than a shooter.

^^This.  Because of all the combined elements in the game, Action/Adventure is probably a more accurate description of the game than Shooter.  I believe that sense most concentrate more on the guns then they automatically think shooter.  Me personally, I think that labeling it as just a shooter kinda limiting it. 

2 minutes ago, EldricNorigawa said:

And 2. Why do people still bother using guns in levels without melee-immune enemies?

Dunno maybe people just like using stuff they enjoy playing with.

That's dumb right ? Haha as if games were designed to have fun

34 minutes ago, EldricNorigawa said:

Anyway, main questions: I love the melee system in this game, and it's superiority to guns, and I never want that to change! But 1. Why is it tagged as a shooter when guns are an inferior weapon is this game? And 2. Why do people still bother using guns in levels without melee-immune enemies?

Because melee is garbage without a form of good survivability, and is much more susceptible to that weakness than guns are being that your movement is uninhibited by them completely and it allows you to kill things faster, as you can do it momentarily after they spawn. You can't with melee because spawns are tied to your relative position, and if you're meleeing inside a spawn hub you're clearly not going to have more things spawn there. 

Two players of the same skill level, one using a gun, the other using a melee. The one with the gun WILL come out on top, because as you're wasting your time traveling to an enemy, the hitscan bullet runs faster than you do, and fires further through walls than you do. Even in a more broad sense as such with the Zarr, you'll be both out-DPSed and out-KPSed. 

Oh, and also with there being "melee-immune" enemies... I'm pretty sure there's only one "gun-immune" enemy, being the prosecutor on Ceres. Who is hilarious. 

Melee-immune enemies range from Juggernaut to Lephantis to Sargus Ruk. There's just no practical point in using melee against them as gunplay is better, safer, and faster. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

You are only deciding this based on YOUR playstyle. instead of basing it on gameplay in general.

And no, melee is not superior to gunplay. Same as with melee it all depends on the weapon and the mods on it plus your profisiency in using it.

9 minutes ago, -Helsing- said:

So you beat the entire game ? Alright then :laugh:

just a small wut reaction to that but that just turned into "think whatever you want to think"

Probably just made it through the starchart lol.

Edited by Airwolfen

31 minutes ago, EldricNorigawa said:

... I beat the entire game with just various swords, and a bow for the enemies immune to sword attacks. Should we be calling this a shooter game?

You can in theory beat any shooter that has a melee attack without shooting. The option to shoot is available, so its a shooter.

33 minutes ago, EldricNorigawa said:

1. Why is it tagged as a shooter when guns are an inferior weapon is this game?

Melee weapons arnt superior. Likely you've not been using good ones, or havnt modded them to their full potential. Both weapons are situational.

14 hours ago, (PS4)theelix said:

Two players of the same skill level, one using a gun, the other using a melee. The one with the gun WILL come out on top, because as you're wasting your time traveling to an enemy, the hitscan bullet runs faster than you do, and fires further through walls than you do. Even in a more broad sense as such with the Zarr, you'll be both out-DPSed and out-KPSed. 

I thought I made it pretty clear that my experience was the opposite of that. I've come out on top against people with top tier guns, and better mods. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, and a couple dozen different experiences with public matches isn't enough to form an opinion.

1 hour ago, EldricNorigawa said:

and a couple dozen different experiences with public matches isn't enough to form an opinion.

16 hours ago, (PS4)theelix said:

Two players of the same skill level 

A mass amount of random people in public matchmaking are likely not the same skill level as you. Not even in sorties, as I still find myself carrying lobbies of three other people everyday, I'm practically playing solo with Syndicate level "helpers." 

But, regardless, those were objective facts of the situation. Melee is not superior to gunplay, but it's not worse. However, initially melee falls behind gunplay for being limited to range and your relative position. In the long run, assuming you have an ability that makes you invincible or invisible, your damage shoots past gunplay.