Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Skins

sanghije

What if a player didn't need reputation to buy Conclave weapon skins? What if, instead, there was a different way to obtain these highly sought after skins? The idea goes like this, instead of gaining the reputation for Conclave to get skins, you could just use the weapon for a set amount of time. This would not require the players to unlock the weapon skins through means of killing other players or winning matches but by just playing the game. An example: to obtain the Soma Conclave skin you would need to play with the weapon actively equipped for roughly 6 hours while playing in a match. This does not require the player to be good at getting kills or winning but would create a more lax environment for the player and promote play time within Conclave. 

This does seem logical, love a weapon so much that you want the skin for it? Just play with it to get it, not grindy since it's a weapon you love using but this can be easily exploited with a paper weight on the W Key in any mode in any dead region. 6 hours of play time = 60 matches, hop into Russia CTF with the paperweight on W key before leaving for work/going to sleep, come back to a new shiney skin.

How would that be countered? 

I do think this is an interesting idea with a lot of merit. Encouraging play time rather than rep gain sounds like it would lead to a better experience for new conclave players. There are a couple of additional suggestions I'd like to make:

1. Replace the weapon skins in the syndicate with the weapons themselves (probably at a higher cost). This would allow PvP-focused players to progress more within PvP.
  2. Start the timer lower and increase it a small amount for each skin. This would encourage early experimentation and then later focus on weapons people love. Or, if someone just wants to casually pick up a skin for their favorite gun it would be faster.
  3. Allow conclave affinity gained on the weapon speed up this timer somewhat, so that skilled play is rewarded.

Zel does make a good point. This is still easily abused (though the abuse case is not as bad for the game as a whole compared to the current state). But, I think the resulting Conclave environment would be much friendlier and more welcoming.

7 minutes ago, InDueTime-EN- said:

Or... Just make it available for plat like the riv elite-guard armor set.

Money can't buy everything, some things require time and effort to obtain. Would be helpful if you suggested such a method to acquire the skins as the purpose of this thread is to discuss the possibilities of that.

Just now, .Zel said:

Money can't buy everything, some things require time and effort to obtain. Would be helpful if you suggested such a method to acquire the skins as the purpose of this thread is to discuss the possibilities of that.

Well, warframe will either take your time or money.

These cosmetics are for those who dedicated themselves to the challenge of warframe PVP. Which is arguably more annoying than other PVP just because of the nature of the game. 

It would be unfair for those who have spent all this time grinding in the conclave if you suddenly made them available to everyone that easily. 

I have spent most of my time in warframe playing for free because I don't really have any money to spend on it. The only thing I spent money on was one deluxe skin for Mag and the grineer jetpack. 

Another suggestion is to make the skins tradable. 

1 minute ago, InDueTime-EN- said:

Well, warframe will either take your time or money.

Another suggestion is to make the skins tradable. 

Currently the skins are the primary incentive that drive people to play Conclave. Allowing them to be traded or purchased in the market would harm that incentive. Now, I'm not inherently opposed to the idea since other incentives could be introduced, but then you end up in the same boat with a different item. And yes, there should be (and probably needs to be) an incentive for players to try Conclave considering how separated it is from the main game.

15 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ALG Minuscule36 said:

Honestly it's just hard to grind for the rep solely because you just get the tryhards at rank 5 that just make the gamemodes unpleasant...

Fun enough, standing comes by itself once you start getting the hand of conclave, and people playing only for the dailies/weeklies trying to get the skins or their celestia lit with no actual effort are those who make the mode unpleasant instead.

On topic, I think another way to get the skins would be amazing, I'd argue in favor of weapon affinity, where the having the weapon equipped makes it get some exp for it's skin, but being able to actually gt kills with it makes it fill even faster (as Thero proposed). Make them get exp from every match, make weapons gain no affinity from dailies/weeklies, don't make affinity boosters double said exp. Make the skin exp start filling after becoming a tempest (to discourage boosting weapons in RC) and keep the skins redeemable only after reaching typhoon rank, this way "climbing the mountain" gets a little bit of meaning.

Edited by Stormdragon
Added on topic response

48 minutes ago, sanghije said:

The idea goes like this, instead of gaining the reputation for Conclave to get skins, you could just use the weapon for a set amount of time.

This would be extremely vulnerable to abuse. What's to stop an anti-AFK bot from collecting all the cosmetics?
Conclave might have a few farmers as it is, but that's no reason to make things easier for them.

And what would happen to the skins that players already own?
Would players lose skins for weapons that they haven't used in Conclave? Would players need to play another six hours with each and every weapon?
What about the standing that players have already spent to acquire their cosmetics? Skins cost 40k-50k standing, will all that be wasted?
You also have to consider the investment of getting to max Conclave rank to unlock skins in the first place.

48 minutes ago, sanghije said:

This does not require the player to be good at getting kills or winning but would create a more lax environment for the player and promote play time within Conclave. 

I'm not sure we ought to promote a "lax environment" in Conclave.

1 minute ago, Theroxenes said:

Currently the skins are the primary incentive that drive people to play Conclave.

Let's not make blanket statements.
For myself and many others, acquiring cosmetics has never been the primary incentive. I play Conclave because I enjoy the gameplay.
To attract new players to Conclave - true players, not completionist farmers - we should emphasize polished gameplay over cosmetics.

13 minutes ago, SevenLetterKWord said:

For myself and many others, acquiring cosmetics has never been the primary incentive. I play Conclave because I enjoy the gameplay.
To attract new players to Conclave - true players, not completionist farmers - we should emphasize polished gameplay over cosmetics.

Ah, yeah. I didn't mean that skins are the reason people keep playing Conclave, but they do serve an important function in getting people to start playing Conclave.

The main reason I would like to see the method of skin acquisition changed is because it interferes with the acquisition of mods and loadout slots. The augments are extremely interesting, and having 10 loadout slots is really great, but a lot of people never pick them up as they'd rather just get the skins and not experience true Rumbling. Having skins separated from standing gain would free up room for people to get functional, mods that make Conclave more novel and enjoyable, instead of perpetuating a grind-for-skins-only mindset. 

However, the system should not be afk-vulnerable. Skins should be unlocked by total kills with the weapon, rather than by XP or time used. This incentives players to develop aim, and to seriously use otherwise ignored weapons. It's also significantly less prone to abuse. Who wants to sit in a match for 10 minutes at a time letting their buddy kill them repeatedly? 

I would also like to see other skins being unlocked at lower kill counts, although this would be an enormous amount of work, and each weapon would have more Conclave skins than non-Conclave skins. But something to show early progression- maybe just the stock skins with a Conclave emblem somewhere? 

Either current skins should be grandfathered, or, if possible, the skins should be awarded retroactively. This way, players who already put in their time with a weapon will already have the skin, but will still have to work for that Angstrum skin. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 12:42 AM, SevenLetterKWord said:

This would be extremely vulnerable to abuse. What's to stop an anti-AFK bot from collecting all the cosmetics?
Conclave might have a few farmers as it is, but that's no reason to make things easier for them.

And what would happen to the skins that players already own?
Would players lose skins for weapons that they haven't used in Conclave? Would players need to play another six hours with each and every weapon?
What about the standing that players have already spent to acquire their cosmetics? Skins cost 40k-50k standing, will all that be wasted?
You also have to consider the investment of getting to max Conclave rank to unlock skins in the first place.

I'm not sure we ought to promote a "lax environment" in Conclave.

DE could possibly change the Celestia Syandana to have the flame effects activate after you get every 100 kills you get while wearing the syandana in conclave, I would totally go do conclave just for that very reason

Just now, Geekneck said:

DE could possibly change the Celestia Syandana to have the flame effects activate after you get every 100 kills you get while wearing the syandana in conclave, I would totally go do conclave just for that very reason

Or possibly every 100 games won

You could always get better and earn the standing like the majority  of people do. I happen to own all the skins, sigils, and mods that can be obtained  through standing. It's not hard, it just takes time and practice. Just like when you started the pve side of the game

Edited by (XB1)Dr Ten Tickles
Typo

11 hours ago, Geekneck said:

The Syadanna is actually fine as it is.

It promotes daily participation in the Conclave. Not time or mass grinding. It's also anti-afk. You need to get those challenges done to keep it lit.

The challenges contribute to your Weekly mission, as well as matches and victories. Getting the Weekly it's 50k standing+the one you earned trough challenges and regular play. Standing isn't really an issue and you can get all the mods and cosmetics just by keeping the syadanna lit.

On 17/8/2017 at 2:19 PM, Witchydragon said:

The main reason I would like to see the method of skin acquisition changed is because it interferes with the acquisition of mods and loadout slots. The augments are extremely interesting, and having 10 loadout slots is really great, but a lot of people never pick them up as they'd rather just get the skins and not experience true Rumbling. Having skins separated from standing gain would free up room for people to get functional, mods that make Conclave more novel and enjoyable, instead of perpetuating a grind-for-skins-only mindset. 

However, the system should not be afk-vulnerable. Skins should be unlocked by total kills with the weapon, rather than by XP or time used. This incentives players to develop aim, and to seriously use otherwise ignored weapons. It's also significantly less prone to abuse. Who wants to sit in a match for 10 minutes at a time letting their buddy kill them repeatedly? 

I would also like to see other skins being unlocked at lower kill counts, although this would be an enormous amount of work, and each weapon would have more Conclave skins than non-Conclave skins. But something to show early progression- maybe just the stock skins with a Conclave emblem somewhere? 

Either current skins should be grandfathered, or, if possible, the skins should be awarded retroactively. This way, players who already put in their time with a weapon will already have the skin, but will still have to work for that Angstrum skin. 

Now that's a good reason to change it.

Hmm... what if it works a bit like the Achievements? Each weapon gets 1-3 achievements that you need to complete with the target weapon and then you are awarded with the skin for it? The achievements could be one for body count (play X number of matches and get at least 5 kills with it), specialization (play X number of matches using ONLY said weapon, plus win Y amount of matches the same way), and some Skill-based one (Kill with headshots, kill via Mortal Conduit, Get kills after dying with projectile/explosives, etc etc etc).

Disclaimer: I'm half asleep and pulling ideas out my voidgate so some of these may sound 'tarded.