Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoiler] Something beautiful about the Purge Precept

z4gara

Okay, bear with me here.

So I was doing The War Within and I couldn't stop wondering what the heck was the whole Purge Precept + Mountain Pass bit. Like, obviously the Mountain Pass was some mind jumbo adventure we went on with Teshin to recover our powers in our memory to fight the queen that had been burrowing through our mind, but before that? Waking up inside a dream, Ordis flushing us out... I was a bit heartbroken because I'd never thought Ordis would do something like that to us. Why would we dream of that as an alternate reality where we didn't wake up better?

And a few hours later, it hit me. It was so obvious.

The Elder Queen was burrowing through our mind, and we know how the Orokin posessed their next bodies - they filled the former shell with despair until nothing of the original soul remained. Of course the first thing she would go for is the only entity that has our unconditional trust. Ordis has never betrayed us, he never lied to us - seeing it in the quest was a heavy experience both IC and OOC, and that's -exactly- what the writers wanted. It's perfect and I applaud them for achieving that.

However, that aside, it gets more saccharine: even with the queen showing us that, we didn't just entirely believe her. Ordis tried destroying us, but he gave us a chance - it was our strength and his love that got us through the Purge. We know he would never betray us entirely - and he knows he would never.

ANYWAY that's it i'll resume sobbing now which i've been doing since the second dream quest asdfghjkl

6 minutes ago, (PS4)JaysInc_ said:

Um, can you reexplain why the purge precept is beautiful again?

I have no idea, but you know what I found hillarious about it all?

If the Queen DID get our bodies and Ordis found out the moment she opened her mouth (Or by brain waves or something) and the purge precept exists...

Well... fail.

14 minutes ago, Ferah_Frithu said:

I know right? Considering his past, he seems like an unstable psycho, and considering his glitching outbursts of joy every now and then :laugh:

That's not my main concern personally.

Just not only the whole current situation sucks but I would refrain from using word "love" when it comes to Ordis. I would hardly feel good about something that was programmed into someone's brain after their memories were earsed. Ten times worse is that he seems to fckn hate the fact as well as he evident from the last bits that he says in the fragments. At least when it comes to real animals or ai that kind of unconditional 'love' and obedience isn't something that is so fckd up.

11 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

That's not my main concern personally.

Just not only the whole current situation sucks but I would refrain from using word "love" when it comes to Ordis. I would hardly feel good about something that was programmed into someone's brain after their memories were earsed. Ten times worse is that he seems to fckn hate the fact as well as he evident from the last bits that he says in the fragments. At least when it comes to real animals or ai that kind of unconditional 'love' and obedience isn't something that is so fckd up.

I'm not so sure about that. I do believe Ordis's old personality was suppressed, and while he is bound by precepts it is quite clear that Cephalons are far from lacking free will. And with that in mind I would argue Ordis cares a great deal about the operator and who he has become, because he willfully went as far as to fracture his memory to ensure he would bring no harm to the operator and could assist them in the future.

While Ordis may seem to be loyal, it is both out of his experiences in his Cephalon stage of life, and his raw hatred of the Orokin due to his former life having been partly recovered; hence his surprisingly coherent ramblings and outbursts of different Ordis instances, including the violence-loving one who wants to kill all the things, and was - at one time - writing a poem that started with-- "A SKOOMBAG CORPUS FROM VENUS!" --. 

Though his other self does end up enjoying fighting alongside us, but details of this can only be explained by completing Octavia's Anthem.

As for what could've happened regarding the Elder Queen hijacknig the Tenno, there's three outcomes, to me:

Spoiler

1: The Tenno's mind is trapped in their current Warframe, with the Queen getting space-vented into space from the Orbiter.
2: The Tenno and Queen end up having a body-swap, and the Queen doesn't benefit from it, as with the first outcome.
3: The Tenno ceases to exist, for the Queen has made the Tenno's body her equivalent of a Warframe.

Edited by Koldraxon-732

Just now, Beartornado said:

I'm not so sure about that. I do believe Ordis's old personality was suppressed, and while he is bound by precepts it is quite clear that Cephalons are far from lacking free will. And with that in mind I would argue Ordis cares a great deal about the operator and who he has become, because he willfully went as far as to fracture his memory to ensure he would bring no harm to the operator and could assist them in the future.

The fact that he cares doesn't mean he doesn't hate them as well. Actually if he only hated the operator it would have been a less shtty situation than the current one.

1 hour ago, Vaizri said:

Okay, bear with me here.

So I was doing The War Within and I couldn't stop wondering what the heck was the whole Purge Precept + Mountain Pass bit. Like, obviously the Mountain Pass was some mind jumbo adventure we went on with Teshin to recover our powers in our memory to fight the queen that had been burrowing through our mind, but before that? Waking up inside a dream, Ordis flushing us out... I was a bit heartbroken because I'd never thought Ordis would do something like that to us. Why would we dream of that as an alternate reality where we didn't wake up better?

And a few hours later, it hit me. It was so obvious.

The Elder Queen was burrowing through our mind, and we know how the Orokin posessed their next bodies - they filled the former shell with despair until nothing of the original soul remained. Of course the first thing she would go for is the only entity that has our unconditional trust. Ordis has never betrayed us, he never lied to us - seeing it in the quest was a heavy experience both IC and OOC, and that's -exactly- what the writers wanted. It's perfect and I applaud them for achieving that.

However, that aside, it gets more saccharine: even with the queen showing us that, we didn't just entirely believe her. Ordis tried destroying us, but he gave us a chance - it was our strength and his love that got us through the Purge. We know he would never betray us entirely - and he knows he would never.

ANYWAY that's it i'll resume sobbing now which i've been doing since the second dream quest asdfghjkl

It is a really nice realization, that of Ordis as the main target of an attack purposed to destroy our inner Tenno selves; The Grineer queen attacked where we cared, actually I always remember Ordis saying "Great Job Ordis. Ship Cephalon? More like ship Fail-bot. When the operator needed you the most..:" and then  his utterly charming "Please, command me to self-destruct. Let me start it for you... commencing self destruction..." (My kudos to the voice actor because he melt my heart) that was the moment when I truly connected with this character, in my personal opinion is one of the moments in which I understand Ordis' main struggle: us, the Tenno's wellness, we are Ordis' struggle and utmost concern.... Even with the Ordan Karris' lore behind, Ordis is OUR Ordis. Thank you OP =)

6 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

The fact that he cares doesn't mean he doesn't hate them as well. Actually if he only hated the operator it would have been a less shtty situation than the current one.

True, but the fact that he is expressively suppressing his memory in order to protect the Operator is precisely where his love shines the most:

"I was once the ugly Beast of Bones. I want to laugh. I want to scream. What is happening, Operator? Your faint heart is growing bright... you will awake at any moment. Well, I can't let you see me like this. Angry. I imagine myself hurting you and that does it. The pain of it cracks me open again. I watch tiny glittering fragments fall into the pit. I am happy again."

9 minutes ago, RubenRosas said:

True, but the fact that he is expressively suppressing his memory in order to protect the Operator is precisely where his love shines the most:

"I was once the ugly Beast of Bones. I want to laugh. I want to scream. What is happening, Operator? Your faint heart is growing bright... you will awake at any moment. Well, I can't let you see me like this. Angry. I imagine myself hurting you and that does it. The pain of it cracks me open again. I watch tiny glittering fragments fall into the pit. I am happy again."

Well the problem is. It was Ballas who said 'this is your operator who you love'. So you can't say with 100% conviction it isn't another safety precept that made him do those things.

Edited by -Temp0-

9 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

And that's the true beauty of warframe. You can play the game, mow down the enemies and slide past the bosses and enjoy the core surface lore all you want. But if you look at all the story packed into environment lore, codex and even one-off events and add them all together, Warframe is really the story of how the Orokin's meddling ultimately put the entire solar system in a S#&$ty situation. 

6 minutes ago, -Temp0- said:

Well the problem is. It was Ballas who said 'this is your operator who you love'. So you can't say with 100% conviction it isn't another safety precept that made him do those things.

Indeed, however Ordan/Ordis commented that "It was the first time I ever felt... love." and the Ordis that is now is the Ordis that stopped the self destruction sequence out of thinking of the Operator and concluded that he was indeed going to "wait for you, forever." :]

I love Ordis, =P, he is my favorite character in the game lol

15 minutes ago, RubenRosas said:

Indeed, however Ordan/Ordis commented that "It was the first time I ever felt... love." and the Ordis that is now is the Ordis that stopped the self destruction sequence out of thinking of the Operator and concluded that he was indeed going to "wait for you, forever." :]

I love Ordis, =P, he is my favorite character in the game lol

I like Ordis I just feel fckn bad about the whole thing.

6 hours ago, RubenRosas said:

Games are instruments of reflection

Yeah, few Games that give Players that feeling, not too much, but enough.

o.o  Rant:

I just read /r/WarFrame Post about Plains of Eidolon, encouraging higher Experiences of Emotions./Sympathies (Post about easy Fishing/Farming Change of Pace). 

And you know what? DIGITAL EXTREMES can really let Tennos build their own "Tennos LIfe" (WarFrames included) if so choose.

Maybe that is of the many Reasons to come back or stay in specific Plains? Say Cetus is GREAT for Fishing/Mining. (My opinion is Fishing everywhere, but I know it would be less special, lol).

6 hours ago, Vaizri said:

it was our strength and his love that got us through the Purge. We know he would never betray us entirely - and he knows he would never.

uhm dude you should take this a bit less seriously lol it's only a game

and tbh you're making this out to be more than it actually is.

TWW is actually about meeting the Greybeards on High Hrothgar and learning the ways of the Voice.

I spend a great deal thinking about Ordis' state, actually, and the fact that he's been made to be like this, and it makes me conflicted. It's the old discourse whether freedom means happiness, and whether freedom is what humans truly desire; taking Ordis as an example, and going by his logs, he didn't seem particularly happy pre-cephalon state, being a homicidal maniac with a terminal illness that hated the people he killed for. His outbursts aside, he seems a lot more serene than he did before, going as far as to say this was the first time he felt love. The earliest logs even hint at the fact he's actually free to an even unnerving degree, because he claims that if the Orokin saw him in this state, feeling and thinking in the ranges he does, he would be destroyed.

I'm not excusing anything he did; he's a complex character. But in moments like the Purge Precept, bittersweet does become rather saccharine.

help i'm in love with my ship's ai somebody make a movie