Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give enemies new/more weapons

ZoneDymo

So we get a lot of Tenno reinforcements, a lot of weapons that were made/belong to certain factions.

Yet it always seems to take forever (if it even ever happens) to see the actual enemies the weapons belong to, use those weapons.

This has been a thing/issue in warframe since the start, the tenno got the old old grineer Amphis WAAAY before we saw actual grineer units use them, now I kinda get this because its a special weapon that the grineer, or any unit for that matter, had not had the animation needed to wield it yet.

But now for example with the Arca Plasmor, why cant we see some randomizer on for example Corpus Techs to wield one of those instead of the Supra?

Same for all the other weapons, Glaxion, Amprex, Staticor, Ferrox, Convectrics, Opticor, Cycron, Serro / Kohmak, Javlok, Buzlok, Drakgoon, Kohm, Tonkor etc etc etc

(Yes I know that for the Grineer side many of the mentioned weapons actually do have an ingame enemy wield it, but that is only Kuva Fortress stuff which is a very specific place where you dont go all that much to encounter those enemies so I still count those)

It would add some more variety to the game.

Edited by ZoneDymo

It would be nifty to see Grineer units randomize some equipment.  Lancers shuffling between Grakatas, Grinloks, and Kohmaks.  Elites between Hinds and Karaks.  Troopers between the Sobek and Hek.  I mean, even if just on a per mission basis where on this mission ALL lancers are equipped with Grinloks that would still be a refreshing change.

On 10/1/2017 at 3:23 AM, Littleman88 said:

Lancers shuffling between Grakatas, Grinloks, and Kohmaks.  Elites between Hinds and Karaks.  Troopers between the Sobek and Hek.  I mean, even if just on a per mission basis where on this mission ALL lancers are equipped with Grinloks that would still be a refreshing change.

Kuva grineer use the Hek, I think.

Also I'd like to add I use gun sounds to assess threats I can't see, so scrambling which grineer use which guns somewhat affects this.

1 hour ago, Ventura_Highway said:

Kuva grineer use the Hek, I think.

Also I'd like to add I use gun sounds to assess threats I can't see, so scrambling which grineer use which guns somewhat affects this.

Sounds like the level of challenge will have been successfully increased in a more meaningful way and each mission would have a brief learning experience (however brief.)

Honestly not seeing the problem here.

9 hours ago, Littleman88 said:

Sounds like the level of challenge will have been successfully increased in a more meaningful way and each mission would have a brief learning experience (however brief.)

Honestly not seeing the problem here.

It's not meaningful. It's bad game design.

As an example, Team Fortress 2 has a series of commentaries from the developer regarding the game's development, and one of the things they end up talking about on multiple occasions is efficiently feeding the players information through the screen.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Developer_commentary

Gravel Pit 4 and 10, Well 13 and Hydro 17 discuss to some degree, each parts of how to ensure optimal information delivery regarding a number of things, including the HUD, character model and maps. You'll notice the same game is also the one where the activation of the sentry is punctuated with a loud beep, a audible surge of energy accompanies the deployment of an Ubercharge, and where death via headshot and backstab is announced via the unlucky victim's screaming, and these are not coincidences. Over time, players are supposed to be able to infer that those things happen via sound, so that they can rely on something other than what they are currently looking at to assess what's going on.

Overwatch employs a similar system, where most Ultimate abilities have a very distinct line from their character that is spoken when they use their ability. This is because these are very important events that have the potential to severely affect the flow of the battle. More people would probably be caught in these ultimates if there wasn't such distinct sounds associated with them.

My point is that these games make it a point of trying to efficiently deliver information to the player, attempting to tax their wit and reflexes rather than their sight, and hearing.  What you're describing goes against their principles regarding sounds, specifically that the vast majority of sounds should each be correlated to a single other effect. This precept is employed in Warframe as well, for the most part, and an example here would be the Manic's laughter. Occasionally, I will encounter another player who uses say, the Grakata or Supra, and it plays hell with my senses because those sounds end up making me assume a Lancer, or worse, a Tech, is shooting and getting ready to end me. Your suggestion violates this design pattern because one cause, or enemy, can be associated with multiple different sounds, and so I hope it never sees use. If you think sensory obfuscation is fun and meaningful I would like to suggest attempting to use your Founder's bandana as a blindfold.

Edited by Ventura_Highway

1 hour ago, Ventura_Highway said:

It's not meaningful. It's bad game design.

As an example, Team Fortress 2 has a series of commentaries from the developer regarding the game's development, and one of the things they end up talking about on multiple occasions is efficiently feeding the players information through the screen.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Developer_commentary

Gravel Pit 4 and 10, Well 13 and Hydro 17 discuss to some degree, each parts of how to ensure optimal information delivery regarding a number of things, including the HUD, character model and maps. You'll notice the same game is also the one where the activation of the sentry is punctuated with a loud beep, a audible surge of energy accompanies the deployment of an Ubercharge, and where death via headshot and backstab is announced via the unlucky victim's screaming, and these are not coincidences. Over time, players are supposed to be able to infer that those things happen via sound, so that they can rely on something other than what they are currently looking at to assess what's going on.

Overwatch employs a similar system, where most Ultimate abilities have a very distinct line from their character that is spoken when they use their ability. This is because these are very important events that have the potential to severely affect the flow of the battle. More people would probably be caught in these ultimates if there wasn't such distinct sounds associated with them.

My point is that these games make it a point of trying to efficiently deliver information to the player, attempting to tax their wit and reflexes rather than their sight, and hearing.  What you're describing goes against their principles regarding sounds, specifically that the vast majority of sounds should each be correlated to a single other effect. This precept is employed in Warframe as well, for the most part, and an example here would be the Manic's laughter. Occasionally, I will encounter another player who uses say, the Grakata or Supra, and it plays hell with my senses because those sounds end up making me assume a Lancer, or worse, a Tech, is shooting and getting ready to end me. Your suggestion violates this design pattern because one cause, or enemy, can be associated with multiple different sounds, and so I hope it never sees use. If you think sensory obfuscation is fun and meaningful I would like to suggest attempting to use your Founder's bandana as a blindfold.

While rather interesting I find this a massively overblown reaction.
Why not instead see it as adding to the game that certain sounds could mean multiple things and thus you have to be on your toes and confirm your initial conclusion?

Your story makes me feel you view this game as a super hardcore life and death situation instead of just a simple shooter, which it really is.
Nobody is having a "OMG A LANCER WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE" reaction when they hear a Grakata....

And how is reacting to sound or sight not related to reflexes? I mean... sound and sight is the only thing that a game can convey to you, maybe rumble if you have a gamepad so yeah you always purely react to sound and sight.

When eximus units came out, I kind of hoped they where semi rare.

I use to play PSO, and they had a systme where normal mobs could be rare versions with a diffrent color pattern and soetimes diffrent attacks. 

Id love to see something like that in warframe as well, but you probibly wouldnt get a chance to see it befor it died in most cases, at lest in public.

Well there is that one corpus capture unit that uses the glaxion which annihilates frames. I would like to see more variety though. I feel like the corpus would have the most variety though. The more wealthy crewman would have the better weapons rather than the basic standard dera. The grineer seem they would be more standardized as they are a more militaristic faction. That doesn't mean we can't see more variety though.

On 10/3/2017 at 4:54 PM, Fluff-E-Kitty said:

When eximus units came out, I kind of hoped they where semi rare.

I use to play PSO, and they had a systme where normal mobs could be rare versions with a diffrent color pattern and soetimes diffrent attacks. 

Id love to see something like that in warframe as well, but you probibly wouldnt get a chance to see it befor it died in most cases, at lest in public.

PSO was sooo good, played it on the gamecube, golden game really.

1 hour ago, ZoneDymo said:

PSO was sooo good, played it on the gamecube, golden game really.

:D indeed!

I palyed it on th gamecube and then on the schtserv for years. I stoped loging in about 4-5 years ago to it due to some abusive freinds in it. I have Alwas wanted to go back, but never did. aparently, 2 years ago the SSD that ran it crashed and everyhting was lost so even if I did, Id be going back to nothing. it still is up thouhgt, and free, if you want to try palying oneline with people, however PSO2 is also up. if you use the PSO2 Tweaker and set up a JP accont, you can patch into the Japan servers. I am redownloading it now in fact.

2 hours ago, Fluff-E-Kitty said:

:D indeed!

I palyed it on th gamecube and then on the schtserv for years. I stoped loging in about 4-5 years ago to it due to some abusive freinds in it. I have Alwas wanted to go back, but never did. aparently, 2 years ago the SSD that ran it crashed and everyhting was lost so even if I did, Id be going back to nothing. it still is up thouhgt, and free, if you want to try palying oneline with people, however PSO2 is also up. if you use the PSO2 Tweaker and set up a JP accont, you can patch into the Japan servers. I am redownloading it now in fact.

Oh wow, thats pretty cool, well have fun :)

36 minutes ago, ZoneDymo said:

Oh wow, thats pretty cool, well have fun :)

this got me to look up how the PSO1 servers where doing and aparently the guy that ran it asked for a bunch of donations to help run it and then dissapred after cashing it all out :I so now the servers there where a few thosend palyers a day are a total of about 20, where everone has admin control and haching abilitys :I kinda sad, but i probibly left at its golden days.

20 minutes ago, Fluff-E-Kitty said:

this got me to look up how the PSO1 servers where doing and aparently the guy that ran it asked for a bunch of donations to help run it and then dissapred after cashing it all out :I so now the servers there where a few thosend palyers a day are a total of about 20, where everone has admin control and haching abilitys :I kinda sad, but i probibly left at its golden days.

well atleast you have the memories