Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glassframe's name should be changed again, check this out DE.

Seratuhlis

So DE decided to name the new Glass Warframe "Gara", which in turn is based on "Garasu", which is a Japanese Romanization (or romaji) of the word glass. Not only is that kinda lazy, but it just doesn't feel like it would match with Warframe's first Samurai frame. Why not something more exotic and proper?

is Kagami

Which is a surname in Japan, but also means "Mirror", a reference to the new frame's use of mirrors and damage reflection capabilities. It also sounds a lot cooler than Gara.

So for the sake of the new frame and cool stuff, DE, can you please rename the glassframe to Kagami? Or at least check for a name that isn't english-based so that this new frame can seem more exotic? We've had frames with Asian names before, like Wukong and Nezha, why not this glassframe?

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

Silica is just as arbitrary as Gara. Why should that have been picked over the one they did pick?

Because it is less masculine and sounds much better. The numbers show more people wanted Silica. There is no other way to cut it.

1 minute ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Because it is less masculine and sounds much better. The numbers show more people wanted Silica. There is no other way to cut it.

Let's call the new frame that uses mirrors... Sand. That seems cool, right? There's way more sand on the planet than people, so that means it must be super popular.

1 minute ago, peterc3 said:

Let's call the new frame that uses mirrors... Sand. That seems cool, right? There's way more sand on the planet than people, so that means it must be super popular.

confusedthink.png

I have no idea what your analogy is supposed to mean. 

Design Council is supposed to create and suggest ideas. What is the point of taking suggestions when the name with 100+ votes doesn’t even get considered? The point here is that the whole point of the frames name was player choice and how popular the name was.

1 minute ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Or we could have a creative name that isn't a) a translation of the word 'glass' or something glass-like, or b) what glass is made of, but with an 'a' on the end.

Like My Little Pony for a music frame? I think Silica was very eloquent and perfectly fit the theme. So did 100+ other people.

Edited by --Q--Voltage

Just now, --Q--Voltage said:

confusedthink.png

I have no idea what your analogy is supposed to mean. 

Design Council is supposed to create and suggest ideas. What is the point of taking suggestions when the name with 100+ votes doesn’t even get considered? The point here is that the whole point of the frames name was player choice and how popular the name was.

The people outside the DC don't have the numbers. From what I heard, DE looked in the thread and picked a name they liked, then modified it to better suit them. Did DE say they would take the highest rated name? Did they specifically say it was based on popularity? What were the guidelines?

2 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Like My Little Pony for a music frame? I think Silica was very eloquent and perfectly fit the theme. So did 100+ other people.

These are the same people that would have chosen Artemis over Ivara, and very nearly did so. I disagree with their opinions.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

2 minutes ago, --Q--Voltage said:

Octavia is not from MLP. Silica is not nearly as eloquent as you think it is. DE has never developed things according to the whims of the masses.

To be honest it doesn't make much difference to me what the name is.  My only concern would be that changing at this point might mean needing to redo voice acting which could delay the quest even more than it already might be.

3 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Did DE say they would take the highest rated name? Did they specifically say it was based on popularity? What were the guidelines?

They asked for suggestions.  For some earlier frames this would be followed by voting on a shortlist but recently the voting has been dropped in favour of DE just picking something from the suggestions.

1 minute ago, Katinka said:

They asked for suggestions.  For some earlier frames this would be followed by voting on a shortlist but recently the voting has been dropped in favour of DE just picking something from the suggestions.

There was no indication they cared about how many upvotes a suggestion had?

Just now, peterc3 said:

There was no indication they cared about how many upvotes a suggestion had?

Nope.  It was stated that DE staff would select their favourites and decide internally.  Design Council were to make suggestions but had no part in the decision.