Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Temporary Workaround Found] Unable to login in-game

I_am_your_Sandvich

Message added by [DE]Danielle

Hey Tenno! 

We're aware of login issues and are working to get them resolved ASAP. Thank you for your patience

Mass login issues have been resolved! We are aware, however, that some of you are still experiencing some issues. We are still working out a solution, and will update this thread once we have nailed down a fix! Thank you for your patience. 

2 hours ago, IlKaithe said:

Set the workstation service to manual, used the on.bat file - logged into the game - then used the off.bat immidiately and set the service back to disabled. So... yay, game is working. But still - FIX YOUR GODDAMN GAME DE!
Now... fishing.

I'm glad my work-around... well... worked :D

47 minutes ago, LostAlbatross said:

Thank you for updating the developer message at the top of the thread to acknowledge the issue is ongoing, I just keep opening the launcher every few hours in hopes of a new patch. Since repetition seems to be the theme of this thread, I'll just say again that I butchered my Workstation functions some time ago while removing malware and have no access to workarounds as a result.

I simply hope this is getting the priority it deserves. The update must be MASSIVE and broke things across the board, but accessing it in the first place still seems more important. Warframe is especially interesting when it's partly broken, anyway!

It seems the header is always delayed by a day.
tbh my worry isn't so much that people can't log in... It's that people are enabling SMB 1.0 because their workstation service requires it xD

I'd much rather people just wait for DE to fix it, but people seem to be reckless with their desire to play PoE, and DE is in part responsible for causing people to make themselves vulnerable because of this error. The only reason I made batch files is because there were some Russian people posting makeshift derpy batch scripts that would turn on everything (even if it wasn't needed) and never even mentioned "oh btw you should close this massive gaping security hole once you log in"... Ugh. So my batch files will enable SMB 1.0 as a last resort, but at least I also provided a way to disable it after you're done...

So yes, I'm selling meth and undercutting the Russians.
But if I don't, they will, and at least mine is a pure, high quality, product.

jnu498.png

For those looking for the workaround Click Here. I'll keep moving this comment to my latest post.

16 hours ago, DustyB216 said:

2 hotfixes...

I am losing hope...

3 minutes ago, Rakankrad said:

Well.. 22.0.5 still didn't fix it. Been checking after every hotfixes but no cookie. 

We are still working out a solution, and will update this thread once we have nailed down a fix! Thank you for your patience. 

Message added by [DE]Danielle

If i can login here, i will be able to log in from launcher when it will be fixed, no doubt !

Tennos keep hope and faith

9 minutes ago, RedGlow said:

Dear diary, day 5 of no fixes and no answer to ticket. 

Yup, it's gone dark for me as well. They did reply once, back on the 12th, but nothing since. 

FIRST RULE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPPORT = KEEP CUSTOMER INFORMED!

This not replying crap is so annoying. Just tell me you are working on it, because right now I feel abandoned because nobody is saying boo about this issue. 

56 minutes ago, Genera1Chaos said:

FIRST RULE OF CUSTOMER SERVICE SUPPORT = KEEP CUSTOMER INFORMED!

DE has the communication skills of kindergardeners. Thankfully, Glen did reply (many moons ago) that this was in the pipeline to be fixed.

I'm guessing it will be on Wednesday, but I'm just pulling that out of my a**

Edited by Alaestor

On 10/13/2017 at 11:14 PM, Mystry said:

Let me be very clear:
SMB PROTOCOLS ARE BAD AND YOU SHOULD NEVER, EVER HAVE THEM ACTIVE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Can we just be clear here, there is no evidence at all that DE us actually using the SMB protocol for anything, all we do know is that the workstation service being stopped has a knock-on effect in the Launcher. The windows "workstation" service does more than just provide access to the SMB protocol, it also provides access to local-file named pipes (among other things)

Edited by SilentMobius

Are you killing ?

For massive thread like this one, there is an update bannier from [DE]Useryoulike as last answer !

If you would like an answer for each new post for all the issue you can report, be ready to wait a long time dev. to check and modify the game.

2/3 massive hotfix since the launch of POE : can be sad some of us still know issue before playing but grow up, plz complaint have never helped Tennos since the Long Old Wars..

17 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

Can we just be clear here, there is no evidence at all that DE us actually using the SMB protocol for anything, all we do know is that the workstation service being stopped has a knock-on effect in the Launcher. The windows "workstation" service does more than just provide access to the SMB protocol, it also provides access to local-file named pipes (among other things)

Granted, but that doesn't change the fact that SMB is a huge vulnerability that no one should ever have activated for any reason. Nor does it diminish the importance of patching this glaring issue.

30 minutes ago, Adrrame said:

Are you killing ?

For massive thread like this one, there is an update bannier from [DE]Useryoulike as last answer !

If you would like an answer for each new post for all the issue you can report, be ready to wait a long time dev. to check and modify the game.

2/3 massive hotfix since the launch of POE : can be sad some of us still know issue before playing but grow up, plz complaint have never helped Tennos since the Long Old Wars..

Um, dude, I was referring to my open ticket with support, not this thread. Read the posts before you call someone out. 

Less salt more bug reporting.

Edit: Just read the banner...

Mass login issues have been resolved! 

I think this is the 3rd 4th time they said they "fixed" the login issue(s) :D
I guess they only fixed what they broke in the last patch.... LOL

Quite amusing to watch this unfold. If it isn't fixed after Wednesday I'll be pointing and laughing. I wounder who will win the bet?

For those looking for the workaround Click Here. I'll keep moving this comment to my latest post.

Edited by Alaestor

1 hour ago, Mystry said:

Granted, but that doesn't change the fact that SMB is a huge vulnerability that no one should ever have activated for any reason. Nor does it diminish the importance of patching this glaring issue.

SMB v3 is quite safe nowadays and the entire protocol can be disabled without shutting down a core windows service. The reason DE isn't responding the way you want is because the problem is caused by nonstandard practices like shutting down a core windows service. As a professional security developer myself disabling the Workstation service is not the right solution to SMB vulnerabilities in V1 and V2

Edited by SilentMobius

• DrRigSunday at 10:26

already tried all that workstation garbage doesnt work(already read that temporary solution more than 24 hours ago thank you very much) and to be clear if you havent noticed i am really freaking pissed because i like to play this game when i am not working and lord and behold what happend when the POE dropped i cant do that. and i can tell you exactly how it feels here is a example: a drug addict without drugs he tries everything to get his drugs to get his fix on it. well what did i do well i did everything possible but hey cant get to login to get my fix of warframe gotta love how i am gonnamiss more than 3 sorties 45K syndicate standings and more, and not to forget the things i cant make in the foundry

• [DE]Yesterday at 20:24

Hi DrRig,

I am sorry to hear that it didn't work.

After reviewing your logs, it seems the workstation service is still not enabled, can you please enable it again and try if it works? If the problem persists, we really appreciate that if you can send us a new set of logs with workstation service enabled.

Thanks!

i really think someone doesnt know how to read when i said workstation doesnt work for me like i have tried till the point i dont know anymore because f*ck this isnt something i need to do at all, but such a lovely reply and so freaking fast sunday i send that reply in my ticked and lord and behold i get the most useless reply 

11 minutes ago, DustyB216 said:

And they claimed to have fixed it again?

I think we need another spamming gallop in the next dev stream or Rebecca stream...

I plan to give them quite a lot of time. But if it takes too long, or they say they wont patch it, I'll be raising hell with a few critics and on a few tech forums. I think it would be fun to see Jim Sterling's take on a company recommending it's userbase active insecure services xD

9 minutes ago, DustyB216 said:

But if not having SMB enabled cause the problem. How could most people login? They all have SMB enabled?

They either have patched and up-to-date versions, or they are vulnerable. Workstation is enabled (stupidly) out of the box in windows. Most OEMs and security suites will disable it and it's dependencies (especially if it's not being used, or the OEM is selling a home computer and not something for an office).

Workstation with patched SMB protocols is theoretically safe to run, but it MUST be kept up to date constantly.
Even then, it's a giant attack surface that normally (read: always in a sane world) isn't required.

Edit: also, a big problem right now is some people's versions of workstation are requiring them to run SMB 1.0, which is entirely defunked and incredibly insecure.

Edited by Alaestor