Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Temporary Workaround Found] Unable to login in-game

I_am_your_Sandvich

Message added by [DE]Danielle

Hey Tenno! 

We're aware of login issues and are working to get them resolved ASAP. Thank you for your patience

Mass login issues have been resolved! We are aware, however, that some of you are still experiencing some issues. We are still working out a solution, and will update this thread once we have nailed down a fix! Thank you for your patience. 

So... speaking of the workaround, I lurked around the thread for quite a bit and I know of the security issues but I don't fully understand them, so whats the harm of switching workstation on and immediately turning it off upon successfully entering the game? I'm not well versed in the art of programming, computer codes and functionality.

Edited by xXGreenMachine64Xx

1 hour ago, xXGreenMachine64Xx said:

So... speaking of the workaround, I lurked around the thread for quite a bit and I know of the security issues but I don't fully understand them, so whats the harm of switching workstation on and immediately turning it off upon successfully entering the game? I'm not well versed in the art of programming, computer codes and functionality.

Minor, unless there's an active threat on your network.

It isn't an immediate threat, which is why I was willing to create an alternative to the sloppy batch files some people made, and not just condemn them outright.

Workstation requires the SMB protocol. SMB 2 has some known flaws, but SMB 1.0 protocol is entirely defunked and microsoft pushed updates to disable it. The issue is, some people's workstations require SMB 1. Even if not, SMB 2 is still flawed. SMB is for LAN networking, and workstation is used as part of the home group and LAN file sharing features of windows. Typically SMB isn't used much outside of enterprise environments. It tends to be disabled by security suites and good OEMs. In the enterprise, it tends to be used only on LAN, and behind strict security (like a white-list firewall, real-time AV and other anti-threat systems, etc).

A main-stream example of the security threat posed by this is that SMB was exploited by the NSA's EternalBlue, which was specifically designed to target windows machines on an internal network. EternalBlue was part of the WannaCry ransomeware attacks which caused a fair bit of wide-spread damage. Though, the damage was extremely minor compared to what it could have been thanks to many different factors. Not the least of which was Microsoft pushing updates to disable SMB 1.0

Having workstation enabled and entirely up to date isn't a very big threat in and of itself, but having to enable old versions like SMB 1.0 is. And even though it may not be a direct threat, it's a massive attack surface that (normally) isn't required to be active. It's an unnecessary risk. It's kind of like Adobe Flash Player. Yes, in theory, if its up to date, and you're careful, then maybe it can be fine... But it's still f**king stupid to use it. ESPECIALLY like this.

Conclusion / TL;DR

It's fine, in short & controlled bursts. Flipping it on for a second, logging in, and then shutting it off, presents a very minor risk. However, enabling older versions (like SMB 1.0 or an unpatched SMB 2.0) causes a much bigger threat. And both of those threats (enabling for a short time, or enabling old versions) become FAR worse if you don't have a dedicated firewall, or you share your internal network with other people

Edited by Alaestor
"they'res" -> "there's".... thanks brain.

So after six days I got an answer to my ticket and all they did was ask for more logs, more detailed logs, that give them what I have installed, what I had uninstalled, what tasks I'm running, services, drivers, autorun, full eventlog, my hosts file, what Windows hotfixes I have installed, my startup list, my update log, everything. Having a background in IT and knowing what the bug is and mentioning it in the ticket, this makes me angry, because this makes it painfully obvious that they don't read the forums, they don't read the tickets, basically they don't give a dog's turd about what's happening. I'd bet my left nut that there are less than three people at this company that even know what this bug is about and how long we've been affected by it and that this is not the first time it has reared it's head. Needless to say I've lost any and all hope to get a decent answer in my support ticket, and I will not be uploading the logs they ask for because I'm not comfortable opening up my whole computer's logs and registry and list of installed programs and running tasks to someone who obviously has no idea what is going on.

Edited by RedGlow

29 minutes ago, RedGlow said:

So after six days I got an answer to my ticket and all they did was ask for more logs, more detailed logs, that give them what I have installed, what I had uninstalled, what tasks I'm running, services, drivers, autorun, full eventlog, my hosts file, what Windows hotfixes I have installed, my startup list, my update log, everything. Having a background in IT and knowing what the bug is and mentioning it in the ticket, this makes me angry, because this makes it painfully obvious that they don't read the forums, they don't read the tickets, basically they don't give a dog's turd about what's happening. I'd bet my left nut that there are less than three people at this company that even know what this bug is about and how long we've been affected by it and that this is not the first time it has reared it's head. Needless to say I've lost any and all hope to get a decent answer in my support ticket, and I will not be uploading the logs they ask for because I'm not comfortable opening up my whole computer's logs and registry and list of installed programs and running tasks to someone who obviously has no idea what is going on.

Lol. Their error messages are rather... non-existent. So there have been many bugs like this over the years, but all with completely different reasons. If you're certain you have this issue, then all we can do is wait. Helpdesk would be of no use. But since they kept asking for logs, either they're being silly, or they don't think it's the same problem. Feel free to post your ee.log (after deleting it, trying to log in, and then censoring your email address) here in a spoiler tag. I should be able to confirm whether or not it's the same problem.

As for the helpdesk, I don't think it's DE. I believe it's a different company. Not much better than bots. I would agree with your assessment of there being a very select few who know whats actually going on seeing as how they've "fixed" this 4 times now. @[DE]Glen seems to have a competent understanding. If I had to guess I'd say he's DE's main back-end guy with probably the most experience with their engine, server, and client. Fairly sure the majority of bug fixing is relegated to him at the moment, as most of the bugs that people have been experiencing are complex in nature or systemic issues with the game post POE. As such, I'm sure he's been prioritizing the bugs with the most impact, as this is almost like a re-launch of warframe with many new players joining.

Well... Maybe a post every 3 days, a little update here 'n there... Any sort of feedback what so ever, even a "shut up and let me work" message would be much appreciated by this point. I'm glad they've acknowledged this at least once. But when there's no contact for a few days it makes me think that maybe they all drank the twitch-drop koolaid, passed out, and everything's running on autopilot.

Edited by Alaestor

I know it's the same issue because the log shows the client trying to resolve login.php as the log in server address, and after I turn on the Workstation service it works just fine, and the first round of logs that I updated uploaded, the ipconfig, the name resolve logs and the game logs they asked for in the first place clearly show that this is the issue.

Edited by RedGlow

12 minutes ago, RedGlow said:

I know it's the same issue because the log shows the client trying to resolve login.php as the log in server address, and after I turn on the Workstation service it works just fine, and the first round of logs that I updated, the ipconfig, the name resolve logs and the game logs they asked for in the first place clearly show that this is the issue.

Lol yep, that's it... Shame. All we can do is wait... But that's curious. Maybe the helpdesk dudes were uninformed and so he kept asking for more information.

Edited by Alaestor
:D

6 hours ago, RedGlow said:

Yeah when it's been almost a week since this issue came up and there's nothing being done about it, that's willful incompetence, there are no more excuses.

You haven't been able to login for a week? Oh no... I am seriously not looking forward to Plains in november at this rate :/ I am on day 2 going 3 of no warframe with day of the dead releasing earlier today

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)D3L7A Z7R1K3 said:

As soon as I even start warframe on Xbox One I am greeted by "Unable to connect" and day of the dead has arrived and am missing logins. Ugh!!

I don't believe your issue is related to this thread.

... But if it was, it would be absolutely hilarious. Good luck.

For those looking for the workaround Click Here. I'll keep moving this comment to my latest post.

So, in order to save my Kubrow from dying of old age (mobile app is crashing on my phone, so I couldn't use that), I used the workaround to login in the game, put him in stasis, log out and disabled the smb again. Of course, I can't log back in after that.

But now I can wait for a proper fix without worrying for my Kubrow. :cool: (several weeks if need be...)

So, my friend has the same problem, and she got an answer from russian [DE]Vladimir. I'll post the screenshot of his answer here, following up with a translation. It worked for her and she's now playing, hope it helps you as well.

To solve this problem follow these instructions:

1. Open your notepad and paste following strings in it.

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= auto

sc.exe start lanmanworkstation

sc.exe start netlogon

pause

1. Press "Save as.." choose type "All files", and change the name of the file to "Lan.cmd"

2. Then right click the file and run it as administrator

3. Restart your pc and game

5Iffms6.png

1 hour ago, TheUglyOne89 said:

So, in order to save my Kubrow from dying of old age (mobile app is crashing on my phone, so I couldn't use that), I used the workaround to login in the game, put him in stasis, log out and disabled the smb again. Of course, I can't log back in after that.

But now I can wait for a proper fix without worrying for my Kubrow. :cool: (several weeks if need be...)

You can just craft the Incubator Upgrade Segment and your Kubrow will be automatically moved into Stasis when it's about to die.

2 hours ago, Beon1 said:

So, my friend has the same problem, and she got an answer from russian [DE]Vladimir. I'll post the screenshot of his answer here, following up with a translation. It worked for her and she's now playing, hope it helps you as well.

sc.exe start netlogon

pause

1. Press "Save as.." choose type "All files", and change the name of the file to "Lan.cmd"

2. Then right click the file and run it as administrator

3. Restart your pc and game

This didn't work for me. I opened it and it said mine was already running. 

same problem most others have. i updated and tried to play it on sunday no luck. cant login. sent off some info in an email after i emailed the support and no reply after the info i was asked for. still cant login, using correct and freshly created passwords and still nothing.

also doesnt help when a dev drops in with very little info then tells us to enjoy playing warframe >.>

2 hours ago, kiyoshi058 said:

also doesnt help when a dev drops in with very little info then tells us to enjoy playing warframe >.>

pretty sure (hope) that was a copy+pasta helpdesk dude and not a real DE employee. They're not much better than bots.

Pokemon+center_61ca32_3925687.jpg

Edited by Alaestor

My appologies for a double post, but I felt like this had to be addressed on it's own.

On 10/19/2017 at 6:18 AM, Beon1 said:

sc.exe start netlogon
pause

To break this down; "sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb20/nsi" 
is overriding the dependencies to rely on SMB 2.0, Computer Browser service, and the Network Store Interface service.

• Changing the "depend"-ancies doesn't actually change what the service requires to work.
    This sets it to require SMB 2.0 but some people require SMB 1.0
    which means their service will either fail to start, or will start and not actually work.

• The workstation service states It states that the Computer Browser driver is required.
    The service doesn't need to be running. This makes that a requirement.

• If someone had disabled NSI they wouldn't have an internet connection at all...
    So... I don't think that's the root of a problem.

• "sc.exe start netlogon", netlogon doesn't appear to be required at all
    ... whaa? He says to manually start it, and then restart the pc... so... it goes back to not running...

• Worst of all: it sets SMB 2.0 to auto-start with your computer.
    If you don't have a firewall, someone on your network is infected, and/or you have an unpatched SMB 2.0
    then this solution leaves you vulnerable or at much greater risk than what would normally be needed.

The real solution in that post is to start the "mrxsmb20", which my batch files already contain (... and doesn't require a reboot)

edit: Also, his solution leaves your system vulnerable if you don't have a firewall or you have an outdated SMB 2.0 

Just run the damn workaround batch as admin, on and off, as required. If it doesn't work, neither will these horrible solutions.

Every time hotfix lands I have a tiny hope that when I restart the game I won't have to use the workaround... no luck so far.
I don't think this issue will be fixed anytime soon - after playing a bit, I can say that this whole update is a bit more than "undercooked"... more like "disaster on fire killed 3 people RATS EVERYHWERE oh god its the end the end nuclear waste! THE END! GODZILLA!".

It's bugged as holy S#&$. The performance in plains is total S#&$e - normally played on high 1080/60, on plains barely get 60 on lowest, and that's solo. Tried once doing a bounty with other players, and it was oscillating between 0 and 10 frames, with lags from hell.

Stay tuned folks, and arm yourself with patience and salt, this one is going to get a FAT WHILE before it's fixed. Right now it's more like your first rocket in KSP - frankenstainish monster stitched, glued and taped together, that's very likely to explode on the launchpad as soon as you load.

Lol this thread lately

latest?cb=20110105212245

I call for calm. Give them a wee bit more time before trying to create a fuss.
... Though, I understand the frustration. I've sort of been in damage control mode for DE since first reporting this issue. Prior to PoE I had <15 posts since joining the forum in 2013. So, let's just... go do other things.

Hug your waifu pillows, watch an anime, play some games, learn to program, write a novel.... Depending on how long this takes.

Edited by Alaestor

12 minutes ago, Alaestor said:

Lol this thread lately

latest?cb=20110105212245

I call for calm. Give them a wee bit more time before trying to create a fuss.
... Though, I understand the frustration. I've sort of been in damage control mode for DE since first reporting this issue. Prior to PoE I had <15 posts since joining the forum in 2013. So, let's just... go do other things.

Hug your waifu pillows, watch an anime, play some games, learn to program, write a novel.... Depending on how long this takes.

For those looking for the workaround Click Here. I'll keep moving this comment to my latest post.

my whole problem is i wanna play this game i got enough games to play but have been playing warframe like to much in the time i could play warframe 

18 hours ago, DrRig said:

my whole problem is i wanna play this game i got enough games to play but have been playing warframe like to much in the time i could play warframe 

I understand, but it doesn't appear that complaining about it is going to help =\

Edited by Alaestor