Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teralysts and soloing

NinthAria

As an experiment, I just spent an entire night phase trying to fight a teralyst solo. I was on it more or less from the moment it spawned (I saw it emerge from the water in the distance once I zoned in, called my Archwing, and flew over ASAP) until daybreak when it went back into the water. In that time I managed to break its shields and reduce ONE of its weak points to about half health. I will concede my loadout wasn't perfectly optimized for eidolon hunting--I wasn't running Corrosive Projection for one thing, which seems to be the new big thing now that Shield Disruption doesn't work--but I had all my gear maxed out and fully loaded with mods, and was otherwise executing things mostly on point (dropping in and out of Operator mode to dump Void Beam, etc.).

So what I'm wondering is this: Are we meant to be able to solo the teralyst at any point? I know it's designed to favor groups, but...well, so are most other bosses (outside of trials), and those are at least possible to solo. Am I missing something? Because even doing (mostly) everything right, the teralyst's sheer health, armor, and shields, coupled with its immunity to status effects--most notably corrosive--make it almost impossible for one person to kill it in any reasonable amount of time. I'm all for group kills being more lucrative, much the same way most other content is, but I feel like it ought to at least be doable for a solo player.

It should be doable for a solo player, especially since its meant to be the main way of getting quills rep since Intact Cores are still mostly worthless for their low drop rate. If it is not doable, or core rep values not made in line with other syndicates so the lowest level intact is still worth getting, then a significant chunk of the operator and focus 2.0 stuff is locked out for those who do not have a team of buddies they trust.

I did try to duo it with a buddy of mine, we did not even get one part down to 75% health.

Im sure the update page specifically says that our auras no longer affect him.

Also anybody knows a reason why cant we make a raid for this guy? Hes tanky as hell and the nighttime is short. Unless you go there with a specificated edilon hunter group i dont think the avarage pub runners can blow one up.

A clanmate managed to solo it and even got brilliant shard, he was using chroma. Took him 30mins ish though. 

And its not a timesink as group, in a single night my squad got to kill 3 to 4 regularly with all dropping brilliant shard. It just comes down to group cohesion and communication. And with the addition that you can convert brilliant shard to focus, that makes it all more rewarding. 

As for aura, corrosive projection still affect it apparently. 

Edited by Lockhart77

I've solo'd it easily. Also killed it twice in one night with a buddy. Could probably do that myself now that I have all the Archwing stuff. It honestly isn't that hard, go for a weapon with high damage per projectile and high damage per second, I like crit build Euphona. Also make sure you have a frame that can buff damage and survive Rhino is alright here, Chroma is probably best.

This was intended as veteran content and it was supposed to be difficult, I honestly mean no offense but if you don't have the mods/gear to do it then maybe you've still got some progressing to do first. If not then take a good look through your Warframes with damage buffs and weapons with high DPS, I promise it is doable.

I nearly solo'd the Teralyst with my Fire Chroma, Euphona Prime, and the first Amp you can make from ranking up in the Quills. My builds are far from "meta", but even with its damage resistances, I'm able to do close to 35,000 damage per shot (with multishot) when my Vex Armor is maxed, which melts its weak points in about a clip and a half depending on how clearly I can line up shots. The only reason I wasn't able to finish the Teralyst off in the last phase was because of just how much was going on at once, how many Vomvalysts were around, and how quickly I was losing my revives due to not knowing when and how to react, which ended with me needing to flee. I have no doubt that my loadout could down it once I learn how to deal with everything though.

The best advice I can give for trying to solo a Teralyst is:

• Damage buffing 'Frames like Chroma and Rhino seem to work best for damage while healing 'Frames like Oberon and Trinity are definitely best for surviving the later phases, but you might be able to avoid most of its homing attacks by using a stealth 'Frame like Loki modded for invisibility.
  • The Teralyst doesn't get affected by status procs, so crit builds are your best bet.
  • Bring a weapon that has a good crit chance, good crit damage, good puncture damage, and mod for Radiation if you want to deal the most damage.
  • If running a buffer 'Frame and a strong weapon, don't be like me and think you can use any status combination and still do high damage.

It kind of sucks that you essentially have to play something with big buffs to weapon damage (that's also preferably tanky) to do it in a reasonable amount of time (or at all), but the only way we'll be able to use a wider variety of frames solo is if they scale their health and shields based on the number of people in the instance (which I don't think they currently do). We could also use some survival adjustments for the 50%+ frames who suck at not dying. 

21 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

Damage buffing 'Frames like Chroma and Rhino seem to work best for damage while healing 'Frames like Oberon and Trinity are definitely best for surviving the later phases, but you might be able to avoid most of its homing attacks by using a stealth 'Frame like Loki modded for invisibility.

Limbo makes wonders locking down the pesky vomulists and acting as an immortal medic for the team.

4 hours ago, Gemminus said:

I tried to duo it with my friend. We didn't manage to do much... I think even as 4 people, they're a timesink. Nothing but bullet sponges...

This is a microcosm of late game. There are no fun, compelling enemies. Just more sponges.

Late game missions are gear checking time sinks, not engaging challenges.

The biggest issue isn't really your warframe/weapon builds, though it helps a ton, it's whether or not you can burn down those shields in a timely manner with your operator, and if they're not up to snuff, it's near impossible solo.  Shoot, I'm pretty sure it IS impossible solo without void energy/regen nodes unlocked and maxed if you don't have at least the T1 amp.  The operator is the real check.  It's like our warframes and weaponry are the GPU, but the operator is the CPU, and it's the bottleneck of your system.  Did you put enough into focus?  Do you have an amp that isn't basically a scaffold parading as an upgrade to your default void beam?

Edited by Littleman88

It's doable. You don't need a tanky frame, you can avoid damage by using your operator's void mode. A frame that can amplify your damage is preferable though (Volt shields can work quite well too btw). Definitely use radiation damage on your weapons.  Just the first craftable Amp will make it much faster as it's very "ammo efficient", the secondary fire also allows you to stay invincible while charging a shot. Gild your Amp, it's free and it improves the stats.

A group can easily kill 4 in one night cycle, obviously it will take you longer solo but I think 2 should be possible with a good setup. I won't comment on the whole operator situation, but in my opinion it's a good boss fight, way better than all the invincibility phase crap we have now. I personally like that it encourages cooperative play.

I would say Teralyst is one of those Bosses where DE wanna "force the players to attack them in full groups instead of beeing soloble" like some other bosses that can be a bit hard if doing Solo (Vey Hek for example). On one side i find this totaly fine but on the other side it gives moment where i prefer Solo play considering the Host migrations and stuff i have encountered all the time where the mission got canceled and my reward is gone so that i had to restart the mission anyways.

I would say it should give 2 variants of bosses. 1 for Solofights with adjusted values and stuff + way lower chances for rare drops and bosses for group hunts where the uncommon/rare drops still have the same values. Alone the Plains have shown me how often the Host process failed in mids of a bounty round and all progress was gone. Now considering this during a Teralyst hunt where it was short before beeing slayn... well it would suck when it lasted for 20-30 mins (again depending on the group and the knowing factor how to deal with a boss).

I mean every boss is doable Solo in Warframe but the Teralyst currently is a bit special due of the shield that only can be affected by the Operators Void Beam and if you don´t have access to the higher AMPs cus you need to farm cores from the Vomvalysts for gaining the Standings it can be a tedious process next to the farming for Focus points where you need to have reached a certain point in the schools to have more effects.