Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore question - Are the Tenno aging?

Hypetale

Hello Guys,

I'm not that deep inside the lore of the game. I know that the tenno are effected by the void in some way and got the power called "transference" to controll the warframes. But I was just wondering if the tenno are aging in any way? 

5 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

We don't have any proof that they do so far. The timeline of the events isn't exactly clear, we don't know how much time it took to get to TWW from the Second Dream or how much has past between TWW  and Chains of Harrow. 

Ok, thank you for the answer :)

Well, there's also in-game lore that any given Tenno might *not* be aging, or doing so very slowly. 

Spoiler

One of the choices at the end of War Within is to drink the Kuva, after Teshin says that it's at least partly responsible for the weird Orokin version of immortality.  During Kuva missions, we also collect the stuff by apparently leaping through the cloud and absorbing it.  Since we don't have any lore one way or the other, it's possible that all Tenno are now basically stopped at their current physical age due to Kuva exposure.

Consider that Darvo, who is a Corpus, is considered a teenger despite being over a century old. Tenno were at least of Enginus class. So they probably will be centuries old and show no sign of aging. Now the Orokin DID age but they just swapped bodies, but that may have been a very long process.

It's also possible the Tenno, being touched by the Void,  do not age. And since DE hasn't made it clear exactly what happened to them in the void, I'm still wearing my tinfoil hat about the Tenno not being humans but actually Void wraiths in humanoid form made of actual Void power, and energy doesn't age.

Edited by Nazrethim

12 minutes ago, (PS4)LordZezrel said:

considering there is cryo sleep and a quest about a tenno who DIDN'T enter the traditional second dream(i wont spoil anymore it if u didnt do harrow)

Tenno do in fact age, but by how fast I do not know

Well, there's some lore you can find in the Plains area that the Cetus tower has been standing for *centuries* since the destruction of the Orokin and the disappearance of the Tenno when most of the Warframes went into cryosleep.

Just now, EmberStar said:

Well, there's some lore you can find in the Plains area that the Cetus tower has been standing for *centuries* since the destruction of the Orokin and the disappearance of the Tenno when most of the Warframes went into cryosleep.

well im a filthy ps4 player so I wont be there for a few weeks, so Ill take your word for it. I might have to brush up on my lore info, but im pretty sure we have no information about how long the Tennos were around before they were put to sleep as it seemed they were feared pretty quickly for their "demonic" powers and the whole assassination fiasco that made stalker what he is.

but in the beginning of the game the warframe(players conscience) does wake up but only the warframe.

SPOILER WARNING

Spoiler

Come to think of it, stalker had to have been around for a LONG time too....but if he was also in SD right? his body must be sleeping aswell.

But they do age, the harrow user, could not second dream and cryosleep so in order to have immortality that Tenno DO NOT have he put his soul into the harrow warframe.

if there is a way to find out how long the tenno were sleep their life span could be traced that way.

13 minutes ago, (PS4)LordZezrel said:

I might have to brush up on my lore info, but im pretty sure we have no information about how long the Tennos were around before they were put to sleep as it seemed they were feared pretty quickly for their "demonic" powers and the whole assassination fiasco that made stalker what he is.

Well, the Tenno were lost in the Void for who knows how long, then locked up for who knows how long, they become feared as boogeymen, then they were used during the Old War (when Grineer soldiers, Dax soldiers, Zero-techs and the freakin Infestation, failed to stop the sentients) and they went from being rumours and hearsays to somewhat respected warriors and the top agents of the Orokin. They also founded schools of thought, not exactly something that happens in a short period.

As for Stalker, we don't actually know if he is a Tenno or not. Titania's Quest proves that non-tenno can perform transference, the lady did it on the forests of earth and got stuck in them, lost in transference. Stalker says he wasn't a tenno, he was a lower guardian, so he may as well be a Dax soldier or other and he simply went into transference and got lost in his warframe, hence why he retreats when defeated, he doesn't have a replacement body.

The Tenno are special in that they can attain transference and keep it without getting lost, they also don't need a machine, they can do transference on their own.

17 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

Well, the Tenno were lost in the Void for who knows how long, then locked up for who knows how long, they become feared as boogeymen, then they were used during the Old War (when Grineer soldiers, Dax soldiers, Zero-techs and the freakin Infestation, failed to stop the sentients) and they went from being rumours and hearsays to somewhat respected warriors and the top agents of the Orokin. They also founded schools of thought, not exactly something that happens in a short period.

As for Stalker, we don't actually know if he is a Tenno or not. Titania's Quest proves that non-tenno can perform transference, the lady did it on the forests of earth and got stuck in them, lost in transference. Stalker says he wasn't a tenno, he was a lower guardian, so he may as well be a Dax soldier or other and he simply went into transference and got lost in his warframe, hence why he retreats when defeated, he doesn't have a replacement body.

The Tenno are special in that they can attain transference and keep it without getting lost, they also don't need a machine, they can do transference on their own.

Ah, I need to do Titania's quest, it just seems like a pain to get started. I forgot transference is not a Tenno only thing, the warframes were first used as a sort of prison right? to control the void powers? I agree founding and creating schools takes loads of time but after they are made they pretty much can exist on their own once the teachings are fermented and memorized, so they could have very well went to sleep roughly after they were created. 

as for stalker correct me if I'm wrong but...

Spoiler

Hunhow(?) tells stalker that he is one of them, the very thing he despises, which is why stalker doesn't just outright kill us on our own orbiter but hesitates 

so it could also be he retreats because his body is in SD, we actually never know what happens to the warframe when we fail the mission, it just says fail and cuts to black lol. 

Edit: which is why I'm a little eager to see how Tenno/warframes die in the comic

Edited by (PS4)LordZezrel

So something that occurs to me since people started mentioning rell died of old age:

He still looks like a teenager, so it would seem that while he tenno might not be immortal they do seem to have eternal youth.

EDIT: Subsequent posts have proven me wrong. So NVM.

Edited by (PS4)gamerpie12

1 hour ago, aligatorno said:

We don't have any proof that they do so far. The timeline of the events isn't exactly clear, we don't know how much time it took to get to TWW from the Second Dream or how much has past between TWW  and Chains of Harrow. 

While obviously not an accurate number because of the two variances...

From Second Dream's release til now:

Over 5 and a half years have passed in Earth tileset time.

A little over 18 years have passed in PoE time.

Though if we assume a newbie is playing fairly consistently, the actual expected and in-lore span is probably in the realm of days to weeks.

Edited by Littleman88

3 minutes ago, (PS4)gamerpie12 said:

So something that occurs to me since people started mentioning rell died of old age:

He still looks like a teenager, so it would seem that while he tenno might not be immortal they do seem to have eternal youth.

Rells cause of death was sacrificial ritual via soul transfer. not old age, however the SD is used to keep Tenno alive so whether its just plain old slowed aging or youth its unknown atm.

I have some important things to throw in here. This may actually be a plothole. In the War Within, I'm pretty sure it was stated that the Grineer Queen wanted to take over the Tenno's body for a few reasons, but these two are the most important.

1: She was tired of the "Ugly Grineer bodies".

2: She wouldn't need to perform Continuity anymore.

Let that sink in. If my memory serves me correctly, she wanted to become a Tenno so that she wouldn't age. This way she could live forever in eternal comfort. Now I think that the Void made the Tenno no longer need to eat, drink, use the bathroom, or do anything that normal humans do. But since they would be immortal, this would be a major reason for the Grineer Queen to want to be a Tenno rather than, say, a Corpus or a human (The humans still exist in some form or fashion. They are in the Rescue missions and such).

But if the Tenno are immortal, why would Rell need to fracture his soul and put half into Harrow so he could be immortal (Or at least live longer)? We know for a fact that Warframes cannot die unless directly dismantled. This is proven through the fact that we can revive up to four times, be revived by teammates, and even if we do use all four revives, we still come back to our ship. The message given is the option to abort the mission, which would imply that another Warframe or operative of some sort comes in and takes the fallen Warframe back to our ship. 

1 minute ago, (PS4)LordZezrel said:

however the SD is used to keep Tenno alive

Actually, I am willing to guess that it was used to do two things; one keep the Tenno from accidentally using their powers to destroy stuff, and to allow them full control of their Warframes, the second is that this would erase some of their memory to keep them from suffering from PTSD and such. 

So the Tenno are either immortal which explains why the Grineer Queen wanted to be us, and the other option is that we are not immortal and that @LordZezrel is right. I personally think that the Tenno are immortal to an extent. They at least don't age as fast.

2 minutes ago, KelsierSurvivor said:

I have some important things to throw in here. This may actually be a plothole. In the War Within, I'm pretty sure it was stated that the Grineer Queen wanted to take over the Tenno's body for a few reasons, but these two are the most important.

1: She was tired of the "Ugly Grineer bodies".

2: She wouldn't need to perform Continuity anymore.

Let that sink in. If my memory serves me correctly, she wanted to become a Tenno so that she wouldn't age. This way she could live forever in eternal comfort. Now I think that the Void made the Tenno no longer need to eat, drink, use the bathroom, or do anything that normal humans do. But since they would be immortal, this would be a major reason for the Grineer Queen to want to be a Tenno rather than, say, a Corpus or a human (The humans still exist in some form or fashion. They are in the Rescue missions and such).

But if the Tenno are immortal, why would Rell need to fracture his soul and put half into Harrow so he could be immortal (Or at least live longer)? We know for a fact that Warframes cannot die unless directly dismantled. This is proven through the fact that we can revive up to four times, be revived by teammates, and even if we do use all four revives, we still come back to our ship. The message given is the option to abort the mission, which would imply that another Warframe or operative of some sort comes in and takes the fallen Warframe back to our ship. 

Actually, I am willing to guess that it was used to do two things; one keep the Tenno from accidentally using their powers to destroy stuff, and to allow them full control of their Warframes, the second is that this would erase some of their memory to keep them from suffering from PTSD and such. 

So the Tenno are either immortal which explains why the Grineer Queen wanted to be us, and the other option is that we are not immortal and that @LordZezrel is right. I personally think that the Tenno are immortal to an extent. They at least don't age as fast.

Tbh I began to question my theory myself on what SD was for

now knowing what harrow's Tenno name was i looked it up and found this on the wiki

"Denied access to Margulis' cryosleep and the Dream that preserved the other Tenno, Rell eventually and willingly sacrificed himself in a ritual the Veil believed would seal The Indifference out of the mortal plane."

so combining what you and I have said using the theory that Tenno are immortal, instead of slow aging

SD is used for "Preservation" but from what exactly? Age? madness/void corruption? it could be like freezing a body to cure the sickness later

then there is the "Kiddo" guy A.K.A. the man in the wall, whatever is happening to the Tenno its getting stronger, fast.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)LordZezrel said:

Ah, I need to do Titania's quest, it just seems like a pain to get started. I forgot transference is not a Tenno only thing, the warframes were first used as a sort of prison right? to control the void powers? I agree founding and creating schools takes loads of time but after they are made they pretty much can exist on their own once the teachings are fermented and memorized, so they could have very well went to sleep roughly after they were created. 

as for stalker correct me if I'm wrong but...

Reveal hidden contents

Hunhow(?) tells stalker that he is one of them, the very thing he despises, which is why stalker doesn't just outright kill us on our own orbiter but hesitates 

so it could also be he retreats because his body is in SD, we actually never know what happens to the warframe when we fail the mission, it just says fail and cuts to black lol. 

Edit: which is why I'm a little eager to see how Tenno/warframes die in the comic

Spoiler

The Tenno were put in the Second Dream to control their powers, supress their memories of the Zariman and stop them from going mad due to the Man in the Wall (which seems to be a manifestation of the void). The Orokin later tried using Infestation to fight the sentients and this backfired. But then it was discovered by accident that Tenno could control the infested Golems, and thus the Warframe project was born.

As for Hunhow, he has been buried under tons of rock and metal since the Old War, he isn't exactly in touch with whatever happened later, he refers to Alad V as "Orokin" despite him being a Corpus so he isn't a reliable source, he was just taunting Stalker to get him to finish the job.

6 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

Hide contents

The Tenno were put in the Second Dream to control their powers, supress their memories of the Zariman and stop them from going mad due to the Man in the Wall (which seems to be a manifestation of the void). The Orokin later tried using Infestation to fight the sentients and this backfired. But then it was discovered by accident that Tenno could control the infested Golems, and thus the Warframe project was born.

As for Hunhow, he has been buried under tons of rock and metal since the Old War, he isn't exactly in touch with whatever happened later, he refers to Alad V as "Orokin" despite him being a Corpus so he isn't a reliable source, he was just taunting Stalker to get him to finish the job.

I see, so this does tie in with the SD's "preservation"

it could be that, instead of aging its self it could be that the prolonged exposure to madness would be considered being "lost"

so while its not aging, unless the effects of the man in the wall is stopped their lives are still "timed" but aging wouldn't be the correct word for it.

Edit: I think the correct term would be a mental sickness

Edited by (PS4)LordZezrel

2 minutes ago, (PS4)LordZezrel said:

"Denied access to Margulis' cryosleep and the Dream that preserved the other Tenno, Rell eventually and willingly sacrificed himself in a ritual the Veil believed would seal The Indifference out of the mortal plane."

SD is used for "Preservation" but from what exactly? Age? madness/void corruption? it could be like freezing a body to cure the sickness later

then there is the "Kiddo" guy A.K.A. the man in the wall, whatever is happening to the Tenno its getting stronger, fast.

Spoiler

The Man in the Wall can take control of the Tenno's body as shown at the end of The War Within. It's possible that Rell was going mad and losing control of his body, so he decided to abandon his body and lock himself in Harrow to struggle with The Man in the Wall and prevent him from affecting other Tenno or get full control and cause havok.

He was doing a great job but after who knows how long he started to lose the grip and we release him, which in turn means nobody is keeping the Man in the Wall in check now. The "soul fracture" was a consequence of Rell starting to lose the battle. Think of Rell as Tal'Rasha from Diablo 2.

The Tenno were put in the Second Dream to control their powers, supress their memories of the Zariman and stop them from going mad due to the Man in the Wall (which seems to be a manifestation of the void).

28 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:
  Hide contents

The Man in the Wall can take control of the Tenno's body as shown at the end of The War Within. It's possible that Rell was going mad and losing control of his body, so he decided to abandon his body and lock himself in Harrow to struggle with The Man in the Wall and prevent him from affecting other Tenno or get full control and cause havok.

He was doing a great job but after who knows how long he started to lose the grip and we release him, which in turn means nobody is keeping the Man in the Wall in check now. The "soul fracture" was a consequence of Rell starting to lose the battle. Think of Rell as Tal'Rasha from Diablo 2.

The Tenno were put in the Second Dream to control their powers, supress their memories of the Zariman and stop them from going mad due to the Man in the Wall (which seems to be a manifestation of the void).

I like that theory even though it still hurts me to no end about what Rell sacrificed and went through. His character really pulled at my heartstrings for several reasons, but if this is true, this is added to that bunch.