Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infested Meteor and Operation: Plague Star

Outssiss

33 minutes ago, Sketch065 said:

The comet are the remains of the moon. Apperently we failed to position it in the right place when we pulled it from the void.

He means the meteor, not the moon chunks. The streak of light that's been running across the sky in the Plains recently? Some more details here. Seems to be some upcoming event teaser.

3 minutes ago, Chitanda.Eru said:

will I still see it if I log in now?

Yeah, they're coming down pretty frequently, day and night. Haven't got Lotus' blurb about it being alive yet, though. Might be raining Jackonauts, might be Lephantis coming out to play, might be any number of things, though there's a good chance it'll be infestation related. Maybe it's the precursor for an infested invasion of the plains.

16 hours ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

Yeah, they're coming down pretty frequently, day and night. Haven't got Lotus' blurb about it being alive yet, though. Might be raining Jackonauts, might be Lephantis coming out to play, might be any number of things, though there's a good chance it'll be infestation related. Maybe it's the precursor for an infested invasion of the plains.

I Hope its something from the Tau System who finally decided to pay us a visit here in the Origin System.

I Hope its something from the Tau System who finally decided to pay us a visit here in the Origin System.

11 minutes ago, Chitanda.Eru said:

How about something as big as the Eidolon. Giant Robot Fight!

I mean, I love giant robots (Getter Robo 4eva), but I just don't think that's what this is about. Still, Lephantis is pretty close in size to the Eidolon, and during development of the plains was used to test the animation system they use for the Eidolon.

I mean, I love giant robots (Getter Robo 4eva), but I just don't think that's what this is about. Still, Lephantis is pretty close in size to the Eidolon, and during development of the plains was used to test the animation system they use for the Eidolon.

One can only hope.

13 hours ago, Praxxor said:

You also needed a bunch of them on one target (like 20+ IIRC) to make them actually explode, otherwise they'd just pop and deal minor damage. 

7-8 on an unshielded target is enough to trigger a supercombine. In some games, the target doesn't even need to be unshielded.

The Needle Rifle only needs 3.

You're all wrong. It's clearly a Genestealer vanguard getting ready to pave the way for the rest of the Hive Fleet.

We need more aids-cancer weapons. THE TYRANIDS ARE UPON US!
WE MUST CONSULT THE CUNNINGLY DISGUISED WHEEL OF CHEESE FOR ADVICE!

He says use landmines. Lots of landmines.

7 minutes ago, Ghost333 said:

You're all wrong. It's clearly a Genestealer vanguard getting ready to pave the way for the rest of the Hive Fleet.

We need more aids-cancer weapons. THE TYRANIDS ARE UPON US!
WE MUST CONSULT THE CUNNINGLY DISGUISED WHEEL OF CHEESE FOR ADVICE!

He says use landmines. Lots of landmines.

You say that, but there is a distinct possibility that this might be something entirely new. They managed to keep the Plains from leaking, who's to say a new enemy faction hasn't been in the works?

2 hours ago, Corvid said:

You say that, but there is a distinct possibility that this might be something entirely new. They managed to keep the Plains from leaking, who's to say a new enemy faction hasn't been in the works?

Like, what? Tau-native aliens the Sentients steam-rolled over in terraforming their world who are just now following the Tau Invasion fleet's trail? A race of near-human transgenic mole-men from the asteroid belt seeking vengeance against the Orokin (long dead) by performing longrange bombardment? A Warframe that's been frozen in orbit of Lua since it's Void immersion who's only just now falling from orbit to impact the surface? El-Kal's stasis chamber?

It was right after the last patch, a Lotus message popped up and relayed that there was a meteor that was detected on a collision course for earth. It would strike very close to the tower near Cetus and it was *bum bum bummmm* alive. 

You can see the streak of the meteor on in the skybox when you go out into the plains. 

I personally have three schools of thought on what it could be 

A) The new Eidolon they where talking about a while ago.

B) Some sort of Infested mass 

C) Something else as Lotus identified it as "Alive" and if it had been Sentient or Infested she probably would have identified it as either Sentient or Infested instead of "Alive" so maybe something Orokin like the tower which is "alive" 

So this phenomenon got me thinking, what if DE is using the major celestial meteor showers that occur around this time as inspiration? Context: Cetus is a constellation in our sky (of a sea monster, actually - which may explain the Sentient spawning points inspiration), and the month of October is known for several major cosmic shower events (including the October Cetids, which end about October 30th and are the result of a binary asteroid that came - and comes still - really close to Earth called 69230 Hermes) and the Orionids typically occur in this time as well (resulting from the passing of Halley's Comet).

This is not my strong suit. But in particular, the Hermes asteroid, which triggers the Cetids may be an inspiration for this event - the blazing skytrails we see in the sky then may not be the meteor itself, but debris burning up on entry, which would explain the multitude of them (I saw 5 in one mission) as the cosmic body approaches the Earth.

Anybody with actual knowledge of astronomy care to chime in? It is an interesting and weirdly appropriate source of potential inspiration, no? 

I bet it's going to be something like the Venom parasite from Spiderman, which arrived via meteor.  Imagine having an alien, symbiotic suit, of unknown nature, with strange powers, which may or may not be sapient... Wait a sec.

Edited by Kothophed