Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operation Plague star aftermath

Ramflax

I find myself more interested in the aftermath of this operation instead of the operation itself. A lot of the lore we have with the infested is that they are a pain in the butt to get rid of since even a single spore can cause an infestation to sprout up. I hope that after we kill the boil that this stays true and either some corner of the map is now infested or there is small patches of infestation around the whole map and have our daily bounties now include clearing out some of the infested or their nests to keep their population in check. I would find it weird and a missed opportunity when we kill the boil and just like that no more infested in the plains.

Edited by Ramflax

see, I'm having issues more with the lore behind this space boil, konzu says his uncle was on a trading thing (lets call it a relay) that got blindsided by the boil right? and we know it only takes one rouge spore to start an infestation infestation. so they jettisoned the escape pods so nobody could leave the relay and spread the infection right? Now, what if there were already spores on the escape pods and they grew into these malevolent traveling boils, maybe that's exactly what the plan was, infect the relay, have them launch escape pods, which grow into traveling boils to spread the infection, I mean, an escape pod would already be programmed to b-line it to a planet, so it makes sense to infect them and have the crew launch the soon-to-be space boils themselves.

in any case, we'll probably be seeing more of these boils in the future on other open world maps on other planets

5 minutes ago, Etan-gK said:

see, I'm having issues more with the lore behind this space boil, konzu says his uncle was on a trading thing (lets call it a relay) that got blindsided by the boil right? and we know it only takes one rouge spore to start an infestation infestation. so they jettisoned the escape pods so nobody could leave the relay and spread the infection right? Now, what if there were already spores on the escape pods and they grew into these malevolent traveling boils, maybe that's exactly what the plan was, infect the relay, have them launch escape pods, which grow into traveling boils to spread the infection, I mean, an escape pod would already be programmed to b-line it to a planet, so it makes sense to infect them and have the crew launch the soon-to-be space boils themselves.

in any case, we'll probably be seeing more of these boils in the future on other open world maps on other planets

I dunno. I kinda sorta doubt it.

His uncle Hinmun was on a trading vessel still said to orbit Eris.

"We are Death. Leave us and do not look back." 

I sort of wonder if such a map, with a recording repeating over and over actually exists?

I dont think theres an issue with the escape pods being infested. I am sure they got rid of them before they got hit or right after before spores could spread. just going to give it a free pass. But the infestation is smarter then a lot of the people give it credit for. Especially because alads meddling that made the mutalyst strain. I think that relay is dead and they died heroically to save others. But what u bring up does scratch the surface of where do the boils come from since i think konzu mentions the relay was around eris. Theres a few possibilities the first option is there is a large infested creature that is literally chucking globs of infestation into space just to spread it, and the boils are just mindless projectiles. The other option is that boils create more boils. Lets say that one boil hit the relay, consumed the biomass of the people and through them the infested at the relay learned about ostron and created a new boil and somehow have a means to eject them into space. Which is the worst thing possible, infested were spreading by ships if they found a way to travel by these boils and know of populated space by the memories of those they assimilate into themselves then we got problems

When I first learned of the infested coming to the plains, then of the boil I had assumed it was related to what Jordas tells us as it not being the only one the ones we tackle in Eris.

Then I'm reading that the boss is Lephanty Jr. and I'm like meh (from a setting up a quick terrestrial boss I can see why though), the Derelict fleet has been out there for so long why send boils out now? When Salad V has being doing so much to stir things up on Eris? And now that they are able to infest machines from there?

I've commented in other threads where I hope to see more diversification of the Infested.

The Derelicts would be the Ancients, Eris would be the Mutalists. Other areas would just reflect the poor populations that have come in contact with spores and even be a third branch of the Infested.

And so the three groups would have different strengths and weaknesses, due to when they became what they are and how they infest others.

2 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

When I first learned of the infested coming to the plains, then of the boil I had assumed it was related to what Jordas tells us as it not being the only one the ones we tackle in Eris.

Then I'm reading that the boss is Lephanty Jr. and I'm like meh (from a setting up a quick terrestrial boss I can see why though), the Derelict fleet has been out there for so long why send boils out now? When Salad V has being doing so much to stir things up on Eris? And now that they are able to infest machines from there?

I've commented in other threads where I hope to see more diversification of the Infested.

The Derelicts would be the Ancients, Eris would be the Mutalists. Other areas would just reflect the poor populations that have come in contact with spores and even be a third branch of the Infested.

And so the three groups would have different strengths and weaknesses, due to when they became what they are and how they infest others.

As you say there are multiple strains you also have nidus as one of the oldest strains of infestation. The different strains do reflect on some level where they are from. Game-play wise it doesn't since you can find mutalyst strain in derelict ships but i wonder if its different lore. If its not different lore wise that means if the infestation learns something new then through some hive-mind all infestation through the system know it right away or gain the ability through first contact with another strain. strengthening the infested overall

2 minutes ago, Ramflax said:

As you say there are multiple strains you also have nidus as one of the oldest strains of infestation. The different strains do reflect on some level where they are from. Game-play wise it doesn't since you can find mutalyst strain in derelict ships but i wonder if its different lore. If its not different lore wise that means if the infestation learns something new then through some hive-mind all infestation through the system know it right away or gain the ability through first contact with another strain. strengthening the infested overall

Right, that's what I've wondered, where the spores consume and consume and different infested have their quotes and codex info related to that point, so I've imagined that they need something to feed on to be able to continue to spread, and the Mutalist strain is thus more dangerous as it has more sources to fuel its spread.

I hope that the Grineer take a short break for the moment, and allow the Infested and Corpus some opportunities for new units and variants, as we have so many Grineer types in the mean time as the other factions get their rosters filled out more.

Up until Alad V's experiments to produce the Mutalist Strain, the Infestation couldn't assimilate inorganic materials and relied on biological transmission.

It was only a matter of time since Jordas came into light that the Infestation would grow more intelligent (having kept a hold on Alad V to assimilate his knowledge), and utilize space debris to accelerate their spread across Sol, now perfectly capable of combining with inorganic material.

Infestation was growing on Grineer galleons and Corpus ships, but it wasn't controlling them. The Mutalist Strain was the forced evolution the hivemind needed to set this invasion in motion.

1 hour ago, Ramflax said:

I have not seen any other boils but then again i have not looked. But i do like the idea that the primary boil was just a delivery system for an infestation that moved underground.

Here's one.  

Spoiler

8KkoEMT.jpg?1

I'm know where two are, and I think I've seen a third.  

The meatiorite didn't exactly make a normal crater so these could be smaller vector-boils that tagged along, but they look more like they're breaching upward from below the soil.  

this event isnt cannon.. reason why the boil went thru the force field and thats not possible it would of just smashed on the force field and stayed there out of reach the boil is lore breaking there for its not cannon (example snipetron)

21 minutes ago, Regarg said:

this event isnt cannon.. reason why the boil went thru the force field and thats not possible it would of just smashed on the force field and stayed there out of reach the boil is lore breaking there for its not cannon (example snipetron)

The force fields only protect from the sides,not from above  over the plains.

Cetus has a fully functioning dome shield though.

On 18/11/2017 at 5:36 PM, SilvaDreams said:

The force fields only protect from the sides,not from above  over the plains.

Cetus has a fully functioning dome shield though.

do you have proof that de said that if i may ask?

I do believe I saw another smaller boil somewhere north of the gates during plague star. I even got a little confused as i thought it was the main boil, perhaps this is just the beginning of something bigger. (im sitting here praying for a giant lemphantis like shadow of the colossus boss).