Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why lower sniper zoom. Answer me this DE

(PSN)INVADER-RICK

The only thing ihate about this update was warframe taking zoom out of my sniper rifles. Now they are just regular rifles. Please tell me why when open world was introduced that you have to cut our zoom in half rather than buff it. If the drop off is at 400 meters why cant I see far enough too have to suffer from it? Am i the only person that feels like we have been cheated out of the best Sandwich in the world? I would prefer hearing why from the developers of why take away zoom just when sniper rifles become relevant.

Edited by (PS4)INVADER-RICK

8 minutes ago, (PS4)INVADER-RICK said:

The only thing ihate about this update was warframe taking zoom out of my sniper rifles. Now they are just regular rifles. Please tell me why when open world was introduced that you have to cut our zoom in half rather than buff it. If the drop off is at 400 meters why cant I see far enough too have to suffer from it? Am i the only person that feels like we have been cheated out of the best Sandwich in the world? I would prefer hearing why from the developers of why take away zoom just when sniper rifles become relevant.

yeah, just tell DE to increase zoom to x24, x48 and x72 cuz it's not enough now.

looks as if this text was written by a person who saw this update only in patchnotes

DE lowering zoom on Snipers was a great choice. PoE isn't the only location where we want to use snipers, you know-- hell, it's literally the only location in the game where the pre-"nerf" zoom levels would have been remotely viable.

If you want to snipe enemies at 1km away, then mod for it. Don't ask DE to ruin the weapons for the other 99% of this game.

Edited by SortaRandom

I understand the OP's point, as someone who was using the vectis prime reguarly far before PoE was even announced, the zoom doesn't seem to encourage any kind of long range game. Even the AI will be shooting you at 100+ meters at times (not even including the marksmen). I think the first zoom level should have been reduced to make it better at medium ranges and other tile sets, but the second level should have at least stayed the same to help the player have a easier time making those 300m+ headshots. Sure, you can always go for a body shot, but your overall damage will be significantly less. It doesn't really matter when you are only dealing with level 20s, but the upper tier bounties will often have units that don't always die from a body shot. Also, it feels so much better to land a head shot than body.

So why not have both?

All else equal, a 12x zoom down to a 8x zoom pulls the sniper 1/3 closer to the rest of the party in the Plains. Additionally, there's a limit on draw distance, and I personally have seen areas where I could shoot the heads off ants if the ants were drawn. The 8x probably helps with keeping the game playable on lower-end machines.

As a side benefit, it's easier to use max zoom in the rest of the game. Important for someone with a Lanka like me, and in exchange I lost basically nothing- the 12x scope would very rarely make a shot easier due to travel time.

I'm glad that they reduced the zoom range.  Now snipers are actually any bit usable and practical on 95% of content.You don't need 8x zoom and such to snipe.  I regularly snipe headshots across large maps and tiles (like the default corpus defense/interception map) with a default zoom Lex.  You don't need additional zoom ever in this game imo (hell that's one reason why the Argonak is trash imo).  Sure it can be strained at very very long ranges on Plains, but very few enemies if any engage at these ranges and I'd rather have a gun that can be used at medium-long range than long-very very long range.

They nerfed the zoom because they wanted to make snipers actually practical in the game other than Plains.  This "nerf" was a buff.

Plus if you really want that additional unnecessary zoom, then mod for it

Also, i doubt you will hear from the devs on this issue.  It has already been decided and you are basically the only one complaining it seems.

Edited by Insizer

Yeah pretty much, zoom levels were excessive for the kind of corridor shooting this game mostly consists of, when it comes to plains, do enemies even spawn beyond 150m or so? Besides an Eidolon. If you have to come close and then go away just to make use of high zoom, it defeats its purpose.