The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Hunter Munitions Bad?

I have been trying out Hunter Munitions with multiple weapons recently, and I haven't been able to find even one weapons that it makes better. On Soma Prime, it takes double the bullets to take down a level 125 Heavy Gunner than if I use my current build. The same can be said for the Lanka. So, am I missing something, or is Hunter Munitions not worth putting on any build, because I have heard many people saying that it makes multiple weapons actually viable, but I am unable to find even one where it preforms better.

Hunter munitions can shine on some weapons, and not really help on others. Soma + Viral + headshots makes great work of it. Same for Baza and any high fire rate weapon that can crit and apply status. 

Bows benefit greatly from it at high levels because that's where their damage tends to fall off. A headshot with a HM proc can oneshot lvl 100+. Sniper Rifles as well, Lanka is just ridiculous with it if it procs on headshot

It basically puts crits weapons near status kings in terms of damage. 

Edited by aligatorno

Depends on your play style. I, personally, enjoy wrecking an enemy's face and moving on to the next target after having utterly destroyed my enemy (usually with a sniper bullet to the face). So, it isn't that great for me. I don't want to wait for a slash proc to kill them, I want to confirm my kill before moving on (perhaps a remenant of other games I used to play where that may have been more of a necessity). 

But for high crit chance weapons with a high damage per shot (esp with decent fire rate), it can do great things. If the weapon is slash heavy, more so. you just have to embrace the mindset of shoot, wait for proc, then move on and trust they'll bleed to death.

38 minutes ago, TotallyLagging said:

It makes crit weapons ridiculous. Soma P is just a bad weapon for it.

You ever want to cut people with a flamethrower? Or a grenade launcher? Because now you can!

Eh what? SomaP IS a crit weapon so it should make it ridiculous but you saying it's a bad weapon for it ?

10 minutes ago, arlee89 said:

Eh what? SomaP IS a crit weapon so it should make it ridiculous but you saying it's a bad weapon for it ?

Maybe my maths is wrong.

Soma P base damage is 12 according to wiki.

Slash proc causes 35% of weapon base damage per tick (7 ticks over 6 seconds) according to wiki.

35% of 12 is 4.2.

So less than one in 3 bullets will cause extra 7 * 4.2 = 29.4 damage.

Dunno, but I don't think that's a big whoop. Even if it does ignore armor.

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo

49 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

I don't think it'd be great on the soma. Slash gets 35% of base damage. 35% of soma base damage is a tickle. And less than one in three shots is gonna add a tickle.

But making ANY damage type proc a slash ain't a bad thing.

It's pretty good on the SomaP. The damage isn't very high per tic, but the SomaP will stack it deep very quickly.

What I have seen is that it's roughly equivalent to the usual HC build in kill speeds on very high level enemies. The main difference is less dispersion with HM than HC, so making those headshots at range is a bit easier.

It does require viral damage for best results, but the SomaP's status chance is rather low, so this where it isn't the ideal gun for HM. However, the RoF of the SomaP is high enough that status procs are fairly reliable, but some spikiness in damage output is going to be present.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)drpunk-yo said:

Maybe my maths is wrong.

Slash proc causes 35% of weapon base damage per tick (7 ticks over 6 seconds) according to wiki.

35% of 12 is 4.2.

Your math doesn't take into account crit multipliers which are then multiplied again by headshot multipliers. 

il y a 7 minutes, (PS4)drpunk-yo a dit :

Maybe my maths is wrong.

35% of 12 is 4.2.

How do you explain Baza then? It's basically build to take advantage of Hunter's Munitions. 
Perhaps it's only a matter of how you mod it; I would say it will benefit a lot in having Vigilante's Armaments too, because the more the bullets, the more the chance to crit, the more the chance to cause a slash proc, the quicker the enemy dies.

Not only that, even with little damage, it still shoot tons of bullets, so it's basically 10 little cuts vs 1 big swing. And in your calculation you forgot that, by description, Hunter's ammunition activates on a crit, so you should add the damage bonus of the crit multiplier, plus other damage mods such as elemental mods

@drpunk_yo (I have no idea if that properly linked to you, your name with a dash instead of an underscore doesn't show up)

12+165% (Serration)= 31.8

31.8*6.6x (Vital Sense)= 209.88

209.88*4 (Critical head shot)= 839.52

839.52/3.5 (35%)= 239.83

This is of course, the bare minimum, you can add more base damage, more crit damage, more crit chance to reach orange crits, viral procs to halve health, or all of the above.

Base damage exists because all the other stats couldn't exist without it, they're all different ways to multiply it.

Edited by rapt0rman

2 hours ago, arlee89 said:

Well maybe not "bad" but Baza and even Buzlok beats it from my tests. In fact I think pretty much every crit weapon I've tested HM with outdamage it by a rather significant amount (granted, these mostly include things like Opticor, Lanka, Ferrox, Vectis P and the likes...).

I'm using a generic Serration/HC/SC/PS/VS/90%/90%/HM build for the Soma so build isn't the issue. 

To use Hunter munitions effectly in my opinion, first you need a weapon with good critical chance and decent status chance to inflict Viral procs. Most of the damage comes from the slash thicks that HM provides, so  enemies with 1/2 health  is all you want.

Second, raw damage will increase your thicks damage. ( Heavy Caliber, Charged Chamber, Serration, Point Blank, etc)
I recomend Primed Bane mods. Those will add even more damage to your slash thicks.

A good amount of critical damage is also recomended. If you have room in your build, go with critical damage/raw damage riven.
Hammer shot is debatable.

You can even go all nuts without elemental combos, its still viable in some weapons, but Viral usually does the job faster.