The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone here actually like the Operator?

Futurehero

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Riko_113 said:

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to assume that you are new to the game, or are not aware that you are required to gild every amp prism in order to receive mastery exp for it. Ungilded amps and zaw weapons do not provide mastery experience. I'm MR 24 and have 1400 hours of gameplay over the years, so I've done almost EVERY grind in this game. It doesn't mean that it was meaningless. Also, I never said I enjoyed the grind. I said i enjoy what I got out of it. Don't change my words to try to fake a valid point.

I'm not new and I'm sorry for twisting your words...it was unintentional. I just get pissed off about focus 2.0

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Raygun_X_ said:

I absolutely love my operator... 

Gives power...

makes me invisable...

Heals me completely (10 elevate arcanes) bounce in and out a few times... 

Allows for free fast travel...

It adds all that and more to any frame.. What's not to love? 

The problem is you have to grind like hell to get there and I don't like excessive grinding because it is really boring(to me)

11 minutes ago, (Xbox One)BigLithuanian said:

I'm not new and I'm sorry for twisting your words...it was unintentional. I just get pissed off about focus 2.0

That's understandable then. Sorry about that. I agree that they need more work to make it not feel that they are a forced mechanic in game, and one that is entirely beneficial at that.

Edited by (PS4)Riko_113

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)BigLithuanian said:

The problem is you have to grind like hell to get there and I don't like excessive grinding because it is really boring(to me)

Well think of it this way...

Radiant Eidolon shards give 25000 focus each.. a uncapped resource that is easily obtained..  That's not bad for focus tree's that probably won't change in cost anytime soon.

And

You can only put 20 arcanes on you operator.

If you are trying to do this over night then ya huge grind... but why rush it.?Once maxed your maxed. You will get there in time and have something to work on between other stuff.

5 minutes ago, (Xbox One)BigLithuanian said:

That's a made up argument though. There is no grind unless you make it one. I didn't grind/play for focus a single time in this game, yet I have all Operator waybounds unbound. Affinity = focus just comes to you while you play those parts of the game that you enjoy. 

57 minutes ago, (Xbox One)BigLithuanian said:

I still haven't gilded my first Amp because getting there is so boring that I can't even bear playing the game. Maybe that's why you enjoy the operators. No offense but apparently you enjoy the most mindless grind I've ever seen in a game. I absolutely hate mindless grinding and since it ridiculously boring to kill Eidolons every day on Warframe and it isn't even worth it because my operator is already good for what I need her for.

Warframe and DE avoided stuff like that but now they accept it and that it why I am currently not playing Warframe and hate PoE. It was never like this before, before the grind was fun even when I was grinding for focus in focus 1.0 and it was worth it but now it isn't because my operator will ALWAYS pale in comparison to my Warframe. The only thing i use my operator for is to shoot sentients to wipe their damage resistance.

Its really not that bad once you get into it really.

15 minutes a day of focus farming (30 without booster) using the banshee method. (That one is not as bad and boring as the pure stealth equinox and ivara versions)

And 50 minutes of eidolon farming once or twice a week. Untill you get a decent amp. A 211 amp will bring you far enough and is pretty cheap. You can even gain 2 of the bps for free on rank up. Or wait a bit till rank 3 and you can create a 213 amp without bp costs.

After you get the amp you want and guild it  you honestly can reduce hunting to once or twice a month as way bound unlocking does take a while.

Nobody here is saying the grind is fun though. It is not. Especially focus is a process that takes weeks to complete (2.5 is a lot more manageble though). But what people like me do like is the end result.

But all in all the time I spent on farming for these things is relatively low compared to time spent on other stuff.

Fyi. Currently I have not done either a hunt or focus run in over a month. Simply because I have all waybounds and all nodes in my main tree that I want. And that does feel great. But generally I view the operator seperate of the grind. As the grind is one time only.

I like them and don't bother with the combat part. 

- I can now bring any frame to a spy mission and complete it easily with just my operator.  Same advantages on rescue although guns blazing is just as effective...

- I do not need Nova to cover long distances.  With maxed zen energy recharged and maxed naramon, I can cast dash 7 times in a row and cover same distance as maxed range teleport at no energy cost to frame.

- I can safely hop out of frame, go void mode, and revive any ally in the midst of any battle without going down.  Verazin makes this easier but I personally think this is now the weakest school.  Don't need verazin for ability to revive any time any where.

- I can hope out of frame before death and heal it / allow shields to recharge and dash through enemies knocking over, stripping armor, stun them, etc (depending on school) then pop back into body to finish off.

- I can make entire team invisible and take less damage on a defense objective.

- I can make a melee frame keep counter up for long durations with the lower +duration mod + status and build hybrid crit status.  And get 45% more melee xp!

- I can use zenerrik and spam Warframe abilities as well as build a channeling sword for something other than spin crit to win (60% channel effeciency without a mod slot).  Some frames with high base energy like volt just make sweet melee frames using this school.

- Amps are low damage output but you can kill with a maxed status arcane and take advantage of 100% impact proc.  Still not comparable to Warframe but I'd argue that is good.  

Operators are utility and to be used in combination with frame (sparingly).  I personally love this and very happy they are not killing machines replacing our frames and see kids running around everywhere.  

They are excellent additions and great long term goals for players.  I cannot disagree with you more.  

EDIT:. One thing I do dislike is not being able to attach an operator school to a certain Warframe build.  The A, B, C builds on top should also be able to lock in a certain school.  For example, most melee builds I want naramon, but some zenurik.  For a defensive build like frost or inaros, I'd like to use uranui, mesa/saryn synergizes with madarui, nova with zenerrik, etc.

I always forget to change so usually just leave on zenerrik.  This needs to change!

Edited by Educated_Beast

8 hours ago, AperoBeltaTwo said:

What DE intend to do often deviates from what they're actually end up doing.

I'm not sure if you're seeing the full picture. Let me explain what I'm talking about:
 On one hand we have Warframes with all the existing mechanics built into them. You can actively use weapons, modding system, abilities and movement from the game's primary combat platfrom that is your Warframe. Warframes' function is to move through space and kill enemies. All gameplay mechanics are built around Warframes with that functionale in mind.
 Now on the other hand you have Operators. With their own movement system, with their own set of abilities and even their own percs. Operators on their own don't interact with any of the core gameplay mechanics developed for Warframes through the years. Yet their function is the same - they move through space and fight.
 Operators are an entirely separate combat platform with its own set of way less developed mechanics, but pushed into the same basic functionale as Warframes. And to use this entirely separate combat platform you have to stop using the primary one - if only briefly.

It's like having another game inside of the game. 

The real trouble starts when Devs try to justify the presense of this separate combat platform in the game. Since both Warframes and Operators are player-controlled, you can only use one or the other at any moment, meaning that two platforms are competing for Player's attention.
 If the game was initially designed with this gimmick in mind, it wouldn't have been a problem. If both combat platforms are equally integrated into the core gameplay and each offer an equally unique twist on the basic functionale, or even both work together in combination somehow - the whole situation would just be a unique aspect of the game. 
 The problem is that Warframe as a game isn't built to support two combat platforms in the same mission. There's just nothing for Operators to do in the core gameplay, so DE have to engineer gameplay specifically for the Operators - only to justify their presense. If Teralysts' shields weren't invulnerable to regular damage, they would just be another bulletsponge boss - instead of being an exceptionally annoying bulletsponge boss with an invincibility phase that forces you to play as a secondary combat platform instead of using the primary combat platform of Warframes, which were the focus of game development for the past 6 years at least. 

Not only this, but that second combat platform is strictly subpar to the first in every imaginable way:

Movement: delays, forced stops

Damage/Durability: self explanatory

Variety: one weapon. No mods. Boring effects.

Operator is basically a BAD Warframe, from a game play standpoint. It took two years...to implement the worst WARFRAME in the game...

1 hour ago, Educated_Beast said:

I like them and don't bother with the combat part. 

- I can now bring any frame to a spy mission and complete it easily with just my operator.  Same advantages on rescue although guns blazing is just as effective...

- I do not need Nova to cover long distances.  With maxed zen energy recharged and maxed naramon, I can cast dash 7 times in a row and cover same distance as maxed range teleport at no energy cost to frame.

- I can safely hop out of frame, go void mode, and revive any ally in the midst of any battle without going down.  Verazin makes this easier but I personally think this is now the weakest school.  Don't need verazin for ability to revive any time any where.

- I can hope out of frame before death and heal it / allow shields to recharge and dash through enemies knocking over, stripping armor, stun them, etc (depending on school) then pop back into body to finish off.

- I can make entire team invisible and take less damage on a defense objective.

- I can make a melee frame keep counter up for long durations with the lower +duration mod + status and build hybrid crit status.  And get 45% more melee xp!

- I can use zenerrik and spam Warframe abilities as well as build a channeling sword for something other than spin crit to win (60% channel effeciency without a mod slot).  Some frames with high base energy like volt just make sweet melee frames using this school.

- Amps are low damage output but you can kill with a maxed status arcane and take advantage of 100% impact proc.  Still not comparable to Warframe but I'd argue that is good.  

Operators are utility and to be used in combination with frame (sparingly).  I personally love this and very happy they are not killing machines replacing our frames and see kids running around everywhere.  

They are excellent additions and great long term goals for players.  I cannot disagree with you more.  

EDIT:. One thing I do dislike is not being able to attach an operator school to a certain Warframe build.  The A, B, C builds on top should also be able to lock in a certain school.  For example, most melee builds I want naramon, but some zenurik.  For a defensive build like frost or inaros, I'd like to use uranui, mesa/saryn synergizes with madarui, nova with zenerrik, etc.

I always forget to change so usually just leave on zenerrik.  This needs to change!

Except...they DO replace the frame. Badly, I might add.

You CANNOT use BOTH Frames and Operator simultaneously. Can't be done. 

Ergo, any use of the Operator's slow, clunky, cumbersome game play straight up replaces the sleek, fast, fluid Warframe game play.

Just because it does it unjustifiably poorly, doesn't mean it doesn't do it. And that's the problem in a nutshell.

2 minutes ago, BlackCoMerc said:

You CANNOT use BOTH Frames and Operator simultaneously. Can't be done. 

Just because of caps: Frame abilities remain active while you're in operator form, playstyles like a soundquake banshee actually gain tremendously from the Operator because they can now both quake and run around at the same time. 

Just because I could not resist. Don't worry, your feedback has been heard, you don't like the maggot, it's ok.

6 minutes ago, Snib said:

Just because of caps: Frame abilities remain active while you're in operator form, playstyles like a soundquake banshee actually gain tremendously from the Operator because they can now both quake and run around at the same time. 

Just because I could not resist. Don't worry, your feedback has been heard, you don't like the maggot, it's ok.

You mean the most afk builds in the game gain invincibility and even more afk potential? Congratulations Ember, Banshee, Equinox. You can now afk 200% more safely.

1 minute ago, AperoBeltaTwo said:

You mean the most afk builds in the game gain invincibility and even more afk potential? Congratulations Ember, Banshee, Equinox. You can now afk 200% more safely.

See, just when you thought you had run out of reasons to hate I found you a new one. Carry on. :)

One thing I notice over the years in gaming, is that inflexible players are the first to scream loudest that something about a game is broken / sucks while in reality, it isn't. 
They simply lack the ability to be flexible and bring out the full potential of the tools given to them. See sorties.  See rivens.

At what point were Warframes meant to replaced? Never. Or used simultaneously? Never (although you can). 
I get in operator mode when an unexpected situation arises where the operator's functionality is the best choice to solve a problem over the offensive firepower of the warframe. This is a temporary situation. I am not going to nor do I HAVE to stay in operator mode forever.  Operators are just a tool that we can choose to use to finish missions.  Just like the items in our gear wheel. 

Here's an example regarding durability, some players choose to:

-  rely on Item Restores to stay alive
-  use Valkyr/Wukong/Harrow/Trinity/Limbo to remain immortal
- rely on Quick Thinking mod
- using operator is the new tool added to this list. (they have a lot more uses than just survivability).

Everything in the above list are optional tools. You don't like a tool?  You're free to choose not to use it if it doesn't suit your playstyle but it suits other players;they matter too you know. The rest of us who can use every tool available will be wrecking the Grineer and trivializing sorties with our warframe/operators combo like a boss. This goes double for trials. With clever operator use, you can actually be in 2 places at the same time multi-tasking, making it a lot easier and quicker for the whole team.

And when I leave my frame, my sentinel is still active above doing a damn good job being a stationary turret rad-proc'ing and killing everything in sight, thanks to its riven, which many people incorrectly label "useless trash riven". These people don't know how to mod their sentinels cause mine performs exceptionally well in sorties and stays alive by itself.

39 minutes ago, MystMan said:

One thing I notice over the years in gaming, is that inflexible players are the first to scream loudest that something about a game is broken / sucks while in reality, it isn't. 
They simply lack the ability to be flexible and bring out the full potential of the tools given to them. See sorties.  See rivens.

At what point were Warframes meant to replaced? Never. Or used simultaneously? Never (although you can). 
I get in operator mode when an unexpected situation arises where the operator's functionality is the best choice to solve a problem over the offensive firepower of the warframe. This is a temporary situation. I am not going to nor do I HAVE to stay in operator mode forever.  Operators are just a tool that we can choose to use to finish missions.  Just like the items in our gear wheel. 

Here's an example regarding durability, some players choose to:

-  rely on Item Restores to stay alive
-  use Valkyr/Wukong/Harrow/Trinity/Limbo to remain immortal
- rely on Quick Thinking mod
- using operator is the new tool added to this list. (they have a lot more uses than just survivability).

Everything in the above list are optional tools. You don't like a tool?  You're free to choose not to use it if it doesn't suit your playstyle but it suits other players;they matter too you know. The rest of us who can use every tool available will be wrecking the Grineer and trivializing sorties with our warframe/operators combo like a boss. This goes double for trials. With clever operator use, you can actually be in 2 places at the same time multi-tasking, making it a lot easier and quicker for the whole team.

And when I leave my frame, my sentinel is still active above doing a damn good job being a stationary turret rad-proc'ing and killing everything in sight, thanks to its riven, which many people incorrectly label "useless trash riven". These people don't know how to mod their sentinels cause mine performs exceptionally well in sorties and stays alive by itself.

Actually, we're not free to not use the tool because that list isn't really when the operator usage actually happens. If we never want to crack open a Teralyst or get Kuva, or do the more recent questlines, we could indeed avoid the operator entirely.  The operator is forced content in situations in which you want to actually advance the frames themselves, and as has been pointed out ad-nauseum, these situations are manufactured specifically for that purpose.

A player COULD, of course, avoid them in normal missions.  I think it's far more likely that most do what I do with them in these situations--we use the obviously superior focus energy recovery system(it's still broken OP in comparison to the other energy gain methods), and tolerate the operator for three tenths of a second.

The problem that arises is a concern that these situations could become more frequent or grow in importance.  For a person that prefers to not use the operator, it means the entire game growing in a direction that they may not want to go.  It isn't a matter of inflexibility so much as a matter of preference----and preference is actually an extremely important aspect, considering that we're on the topic of an entertainment software.

As this thread(and the last, blah, blah, it'd kind of a dead horse without real DE input, honestly) seems to indicate, those that enjoy the operator do so because of the mechanical items it offers more than other reasons.  These are the type of gamer that would use an adult entertainment device attached to their forhead as a primary weapon if it was the statistically best weapon---and they'd like it, even defend it.  I don't mean that as derogatory toward people that consider things in that manner, rather I point it out to illuminate two very different thought processes that happen, because the other type of player is more concerned about a more immersive experience, or one that they find "relatable" in some way.

I believe that many of us that dislike the operator do so for these reasons.  Because it is so detached from the continuity and persona that we prefer, we just aren't interested in it, in a similar way that a person could not be expected to enjoy movies or books that are not of a genre that interests them.

As a story concept, Operators are fine. In terms of mechanical implementation, Operators are horrendous and DE knows it.

It doesn't matter that Operators are useful.

If that were all that mattered, there would be no need to force Operator use at all. Players would begin using them naturally simply because they were useful - even the players who dislike Operators thematically.

In spite of how useful they are, though, the ham-fisted and unimaginative ways that Operators are shoehorned in breeds player resentment and constricts gameplay flexibility in unnecessary ways.

Why do we need to double-tap 5 at the start of every mission instead of simply having passives?

Why don't Warframes have any efficient means of countering Sentient combat adaptation? Didn't we beat these jerks en masse in a full-scale war at a time when our Operators were still bedridden?

Why didn't the Queens just send their invincible Kuva Guardians after us before TWW? We would have been massacred without Void Blast and Void Dash!

Why are Kuva Siphons so arbitrary and frustrating to defeat?

Because otherwise most players would try out the Operator once or twice and then shelve them entirely due to the fact that Operators are decisively sub-par barring massive grind.

Operators are, IMO, a squandered opportunity. They brought a renewed sense of peril to Warframe up until DE said "screw it, we're making them immortal and combat-capable" by THE VERY NEXT (MAJOR) QUEST.

They were infinitely more interesting as physically-weak but immensely powerful, and their powers should have been made more distinct from the Warframes. Hell, with Amps even their Void Beam has been reduced to knockoff Warframe weaponry.

Edited by DiabolusUrsus

3 minutes ago, Thrymm said:

The problem that arises is a concern that these situations could become more frequent or grow in importance.  For a person that prefers to not use the operator, it means the entire game growing in a direction that they may not want to go.  It isn't a matter of inflexibility so much as a matter of preference----and preference is actually an extremely important aspect, considering that we're on the topic of an entertainment software.

An actual rebuttal that is well-thought out, mature, carries weight and is devoid of sarcastic insults and impulsive whining.

THANK YOU!! I needed that!   :thumbup:

Have an upvote!!  Have several upvotes if the forum allowed it!

55 minutes ago, MystMan said:

See sorties.

Sorties suck. What is the point of making players "adapt" when the simplest solution is ALWAYS Loki/Trinity/Frost/Limbo?

Many Sortie missions are more efficiently completed NOT killing anything along the way. That's absurd!

This doesn't mean "completely broken," but they're far from ideal.

59 minutes ago, MystMan said:

See rivens.

Rivens have not 1, not 2, not 3, but FOUR layers of RNG between players and weapons they want to use.

1: simply getting rewarded a Riven.

2: getting a Riven for the correct weapon type.

3: getting a Riven for the correct weapon.

4: getting a Riven with good stats, and no useless stats (like +flight speed akjagara; seriously, how hard is it to exclude meaningless stats?!)

Not only that, Riven dispositions are not updated frequently enough to ensure the dispositions are balanced.

They're supposedly implemented to make less popular weapons more attractive, but all they're really used for is further min-maxing of already-strong weapons because they are so freakishly annoying to acquire!

There is a reason why Rivens regularly go for 1k+ plat, and I don't think you can rationally argue that it's good for the game experience (though it's great for DE's pockets no contest).

Are these systems technically functional? Yeah, I don't think anyone will debate you on that. But to suggest that complaints about them are unwarranted or due only to player resistance to change is (IMO) disingenuous at best.

20 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Sorties suck. What is the point of making players "adapt" when the simplest solution is ALWAYS Loki/Trinity/Frost/Limbo?

If people want to cheese sorties (and everything else in the game), let them.  I choose Saryn, Ash, Rhino, Banshee and Nezha plenty of times myself for sorties. Cheese will only take you so far anyway, without basic skill yet still many complain about specific sortie missions like Spy, Lua rescue, etc etc. on these forums.

20 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

Rivens

My riven comment was not about meta weapons, it was specifically for unpopular weapons. Some of them perform really good with a riven if one understands modding and the actual performance of the weapon. I'm not talking about Lato and other bottom-tier stuff of course, but more like middle-tier weapons. They tend to have 4* or 5* disposition. Meta weapon rivens have 1* disposition, I honestly don't care about them. Their stat increase is too small to matter much.
I don't really NEED to have specific rivens, I just take what sorties give me. if it's for a weapon I can work with, I keep it.  If not (or is a duplicate) I trade it for any other "ok" weapon riven I see in trade chat. Many times do I read people trashing rivens because they deem any non-meta weapon as terrible.

I have 90 rivens now, I reached the limit. I didn't buy any of them.  They're from sorties or some people trade them to me for whatever rare mods they want. Any new riven I get now I just give away for free to clan mates or turn it to endo if absolutely nobody wants it. If it's for an ok weapon, I start removing 1* disposition rivens I have now, even if it belongs to a meta weapon.

Edited by MystMan

Short answer: yes, and I basically disagree with all of your criticisms. My operator gives me a fallback when leveling any frame and/or any number of weapons. I can ragdoll on demand, deal decent damage, and hack or revive while immune to damage and CC. I can void dash for over 100 meters consecutively, and be invisible while doing it, making it easy to out-maneuver enemies. What's not to like?

13 minutes ago, MystMan said:

If people want to cheese sorties (and everything else in the game), let them.  I choose Saryn, Ash, Rhino, Banshee and Nezha plenty of times myself for sorties. Cheese will only take you so far anyway, without basic skill yet still many complain about specific sortie missions like Spy, Lua rescue, etc etc. on these forums.

I never said that cheese was the only solution, just that it was SIMPLEST. There is nothing particularly different about Sorties; they are run-of-the-mill starchart missions with inflated stats and arbitrary annoyances thrown in.

Mechanically, they encourage cheesing because it has the best success rates and requires the least time suffering things like unavoidable rad procs.

Worse still, it completely strips options from missions, like prohibiting stealth in Rescue missions (Spy is just a mess in general outside of pre-made groups).

You can't just dismiss complaints you disagree with as invalid because they don't bother you without addressing the actual content of the complaints.

Again, are Sorties functional? Yeah. That doesn't mean they're fine, though.

19 minutes ago, MystMan said:

My riven comment was not about meta weapons, it was specifically for unpopular weapons. Some of them perform really good with a riven if one understands modding and the actual performance of the weapon. I'm not talking about Lato and other bottom-tier stuff of course, but more like middle-tier weapons. They tend to have 4* or 5* disposition. Meta weapon rivens have 1* disposition, I honestly don't care about them. Their stat increase is too small to matter much.

I don't really NEED to have specific rivens, I just take what sorties give me. if it's for a weapon I can work with, I keep it.  If not (or is a duplicate) I trade it for any other "ok" weapon riven I see in trade chat. Many times do I read people trashing rivens because they deem any non-meta weapon as terrible.

I have 90 rivens now, I reached the limit. I didn't buy any of them.  They're from sorties or some people trade them to me for whatever rare mods they want. Any new riven I get now I just give away for free to clan mates or turn it to endo if absolutely nobody wants it. If it's for an ok weapon, I start removing 1* disposition rivens I have now, even if it belongs to a meta weapon.

My comment wasn't about meta weapons, either.

It was about how Rivens are conceptually and mechanically terrible, given their stated intent and actual implementation.

You having a maxed Riven inventory has nothing to do with egregious levels of RNG gambling as mentioned.

You having all the Rivens you want has nothing to do with the fact that the statistical distribution of Rivens, far from buffing underused weapons to par, really only power-creeps already powerful weapons thereby creating an inflated plat market for those mods.

My whole point was that regardless of how content you personally are to just take things as they come, there are still huge glaring flaws with these systems that warrant complaint and revision.

I'm saying that just because a system isn't completely unusable and burning to the ground, that doesn't mean it's fine. You effectively just sidestepped everything I said with "well, it doesn't bother me."