Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag is underpowered after revisit.

-Darman-

I’m not claiming that my suggested stack builds are forever scaling, go on youtube for those “endgame builds”

I noticed the Mags that do well- LifeofRio and Tavier Corsair have really disciplined approach with movement and positioning.

So it’s not just the builds, but a safe, almost PVP kind of mindset that they have for surviving while dpsing. 

For example: rolling to decrease damage taken instead of bullet jumping, using walls and bubbles as cover, parkour to evade projectiles as shown here 

He solved OP’s problem with the bubble resistance by holding it off and bubbling the minion mobs instead. The idea is to create explosive bubbles that may hit the boss 

Edited by (PS4)Chel-El

39 minutes ago, (PS4)Chel-El said:

I’m not claiming that my suggested stack builds are forever scaling, go on youtube for those “endgame builds”

I noticed the Mags that do well- LifeofRio and Tavier Corsair have really disciplined approach with movement and positioning.

So it’s not just the builds, but a safe, almost PVP kind of mindset that they have for surviving while dpsing. 

For example: rolling to decrease damage taken instead of bullet jumping, using walls and bubbles as cover, parkour to evade projectiles as shown here 

He solved OP’s problem with the bubble resistance by holding it off and bubbling the minion mobs instead. The idea is to create explosive bubbles that may hit the boss 

Operator can make that boss fight completely trivial.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Chel-El said:

@Anthraxicus Also reviving, activating life support and hacking

so Mag won’t get squished while attempting any of these

Also going through lasers and scanners.

But the fact that you activate those green discs while completely immune to the missiles kinda tells you something is broken with operators. Combining that with instant headshots on Kela and one of the most annoying boss battles become the easiest.

Edited by Anthraxicus

4 hours ago, MagPrime said:

In order to remove her, they'd have to totally make a new starter though.

The ones that could replace her are either too over powered for that content or are tied to a quest.

Well, rhino can be a good starter. You need at least two r10 corrupted mods to make a good iron skin (he isn't overpowered in that aspect) and he can do enough damage with his 1.

Also, Mag+Miter can deal with anything. Miter has enough damage to make magnetize work and also can break nullifier bubbles in one shot with the syndicate mod.

Edited by Kaiath64

6 hours ago, Airwolfen said:

Btw. Did you build for punchthrough on tge weapons you tested? Its not a 100% requirement but at the same time it is. The strength of magnetize is to create multiple hits on one bullet using punchthrough. The reason the lanka is so strong on her is not only its high damage. Its the inate punchthrough as well.

It was late at the time of posting this so I did not go into detail. But I cant stress enough just how important punchthrough is on weapons used with her. Punchthrough is what allows the projectiles to deal multiple instances of damage as they spin around in the bubble, even on the same target. Normal non-punchthrough hits will simply dissapear on contact as normal.

The part i agree with is that her 3rd lost too much scaling basically. It went from scales way too much to doesn't scale at all. Imo changing it so that it deals a % in damage, but a low one (15/20% would be best imo) and have it work like Corrosive procs (logarithmic and not linear) would keep it more relevant in all content. 

Other than that, tbh Crush could use some useability changes. Like either make the CC ladt a bit longer or shorten the animation.

9 hours ago, Airwolfen said:

Btw. Did you build for punchthrough on tge weapons you tested? Its not a 100% requirement but at the same time it is. The strength of magnetize is to create multiple hits on one bullet using punchthrough. The reason the lanka is so strong on her is not only its high damage. Its the inate punchthrough as well.

Yes, i did.

Lanka strong not because only the damage. When it's builded in radiation, it's charging much stronger the magnetize shpere. Actualy, i've noticed that all radiation damage does that on magnetize. So the best weapons for here on my mag atm is lanka, mara detron with riven (mult+magzine+punchtrough), or dual cestras with similar riven as detron have, prismatic tetra with riven for huge crits and punchtrough. These are good builded weapons. But i still dont understand, why is this does not work well on my mag. Depend on build, she's suvivable but does not much with her spells. In another option she's thin like a paper and stil does not much with her spells.

3 hours ago, Airwolfen said:

It was late at the time of posting this so I did not go into detail. But I cant stress enough just how important punchthrough is on weapons used with her. Punchthrough is what allows the projectiles to deal multiple instances of damage as they spin around in the bubble, even on the same target. Normal non-punchthrough hits will simply dissapear on contact as normal.

It is not just punch through that is important, but having non-hitscan weapons as well. Hit-scan doesn't work so well with her.

The actual reason Lanka is so good is because it is not a hit-scan weapon, which is what allows multishot and punchthrough to do their magic. 

Edited by Anthraxicus

While I disliked the rework when it got implimented, as I was one of the plebs who ran shield pol Mag for ages.

After revisiting Mag I realised Mag is far from underpowered if modded for max range, high duration, and just short 200 strength, running with a punch through supra.

The only problem with such a setup is corridors, however we have an open world, where few frames get even close to Mags usefullness, and one more is in the works.

As far as I see Mag her 4th ability is utter trash, though it was before the rework aswell.

The 3rd ability past 2nd got changed from being king vs anything with shields, to being great vs anything with armor.

The 2nd ability former 3rd was just made cheaper and players were forced to understand low duration wasn't good.

The 1st ability works great for forcing targets into 2nd ability, and can be used for a bit of cc, giving enough time to bring shields back up.

14 hours ago, -DARMAN- said:

Yeah-yeah, i used the same, even got a good riven mod for supra, but mag is still feels weak at high levels. Last time i played sortie with her i got my keyboard sweaten under my arms. Yeah, gou can play well if things go right. But if you got some random idiots in your team, you gonna lie down next to them lying and timer-bleeding just like you. -_- Console hack, some nillifiers bubble flooding is my most "favorite"(in bad meaning) part of mag gameplay. So i'm picking her now only when i want some extreeme gameplay. 

13 hours ago, -DARMAN- said:

We're speaking of just abilities w/o augments. The warframes casts abilities, not augments.

Negative duration on magnetize works same on high level bosses lust like on low level ones. Diminishing returns will affect it, so you will get a half of duration everytime you will use it. So i dont see any point to use negative duraion in it.

I know about projectile weapons and be sure, i've tried out much more than just lanka, cernos series, supra, insane rivened tetra prism, daikyu, or paracyst with huge damage + punchtrough riven. The result is always the same - the ability just cannot do enough damage to take enemies down effectively. You can consider this as i just cant manage with her, its up to you. But i do. After things i saw at random matchmaking, i would say i manage her well enough to solo 100 lvl kuva missions, or even some sortie steps. But hell, after this i always need to take a break and breath calm.

I play Mag Prime almost exclusively as (PS4)FRAGORPRlME.

I run Torid, Miter, Arca Plasmor, Vectis Prime, Euphona Prime and Fragor Prime.

Torid is my top damage dealing weapon for the bubble. Between my Riven, Vigilante Pursuit and Hunter Munitions: Corrosive+Blast+Innate Toxin+Slash currently makes enemy defenses into paper.  If they are a high health Target where Armor was already removed by To rid, I switch to Viral Euphona Prime Crit +Punch-through Primary slug to deal with depleting health values.

Arca Plasmor with Vigilante Pursuit and Hunter Munitions works wonders by itself on Magentize bubbles.

Stay Mobile on Interception missions, use Operator to create safe place like avoiding Eximus AoE wave-attacks, use Polarize to help soften enemies or nuke lower content enemies. Pull is the emergency cast: great for clearing terminals or for speed runs where the objective takes priority over fodder-killing. Also decent for generating some health orbs.

I run Unairu focus for Operator Cloak. Makes Spy easier as Mag and also helps to allow Radiation procs herd enemies into Magnetize bubble as it manages aggro.

Using Operator to Cloak Mag and sentinel/companion, behaves like an aggro-cleanse. Enemies act as if you are not even there on the map.

Makes Kuva, Stealth, Interception, Survivability  in-general, etcetera all easier

3 hours ago, (PS4)MrNishi said:

I play Mag Prime almost exclusively as (PS4)FRAGORPRlME.

I run Torid, Miter, Arca Plasmor, Vectis Prime, Euphona Prime and Fragor Prime.

Torid is my top damage dealing weapon for the bubble. Between my Riven, Vigilante Pursuit and Hunter Munitions: Corrosive+Blast+Innate Toxin+Slash currently makes enemy defenses into paper.  If they are a high health Target where Armor was already removed by To rid, I switch to Viral Euphona Prime Crit +Punch-through Primary slug to deal with depleting health values.

I am thinking of making some tests with various weapons and damage types to see what helps with charging the bubble quicker.

I know some weapons are better than others at charging the bubble. Torid and Pox are among the better at this. I suspect Mutalist Cernos would work the same way. Lanka with higher punchthrough does the spinning thing and hits multiple targets several times and my riven for it makes it even better. I am also trying Cernos Prime just for fun and see how it fares. Because it is basically a shot gun with no hit-scan and high crit chance, I can either add punch through and make it hit multiple targets with hunter munitions or go for multiple heashots on single high value targets.

Another thing I need to test is if it is better to go for high damage with Corrosive+Blast or Gas+Electricity for added CC and DoT to charge the bubble. 

Edited by Anthraxicus

9 hours ago, Anthraxicus said:

I am thinking of making some tests with various weapons and damage types to see what helps with charging the bubble quicker.

I know some weapons are better than others at charging the bubble. Torid and Pox are among the better at this. I suspect Mutalist Cernos would work the same way. Lanka with higher punchthrough does the spinning thing and hits multiple targets several times and my riven for it makes it even better. I am also trying Cernos Prime just for fun and see how it fares. Because it is basically a shot gun with no hit-scan and high crit chance, I can either add punch through and make it hit multiple targets with hunter munitions or go for multiple heashots on single high value targets.

Another thing I need to test is if it is better to go for high damage with Corrosive+Blast or Gas+Electricity for added CC and DoT to charge the bubble. 

I tend to run Gas on Melee weapon and utilize Blast from Torid, in Magentize Bubble, to setup safe Melee kills.

Makes it easy to slot and utilize Condition Overload on a crit-biased melee weapon.

Edit: Apparently my Mutalist Quanta out does my Torid...as long as I don't run any elementals on Mutalist Quanta. (Man they messed up my favorite Primary Weapon)

Serration, Split Chamber, Mutalist Quanta Lexi-Acrinak (122.4% Projectile Speed, +180.7% Critical Damage, +4.1 Punch Through , -113.7% Status Chance), Primed Fast Hands, Vigilante Armaments, Hunter Munitions, Hammer Shot(awaiting Vigilante Supplies), and Vital Sense

(6.9x Crit Multiplier in arsenal)

The Orange Crits, Slash procs, and Orbs make for a lethal combination.

Magentize bubble gives protection to setup Mutalist Orbs.

I also tested Mutalist Quanta Toxi-satinok (100% Multi-shot, 114.9% Toxin, +3 Punch-through): While this gives Corrosive damage through Orbs the wonky Orbs get a penalty from the elemental damage leading to some Orange Crits from Vigilante Armaments producing numbers lower than Yellow Crits bit slightly higher than non-orb shots.

(3.3x Crit Multiplier in arsenal)

Edited by (PS4)MrNishi

Does Mag a bit of QoL and such? Yes, definitely. (But so do all other Warframes, imo)

But is she downright bad? No. Absolutely not.

I wouldn't be able to almost max my Daily Focus (with lesser lenses, mind you) on a Corpus Eximus Interception Sortie. She absolutely WRECKS if played right. Further note; I use ALL her abilities, even Crush (but more for emergency CC when I screw up, or when I wanna keep enemies to stay put inside a Magnetize bubble, if they are particularly durable).

And this is coming from someone who isn't even well experienced with Mag.

What could she need?

Pull
* Pulling enemies into Magnetize -> Enemies are deposited in the bubble, rather than pulled past it.
* Pull's augment should also disarm enemies (Titania's Spellbind-style), or at least pull out their magazines (free ammo + forces enemies to reload when they get up).

Magnetize
* Magnetize bubbles should be detonatable by default, augment should instead allow you to place Magnetize bubbles ANYWHERE (make some seriously deadly traps), but no longer disarms enemies (which would be Pull-augment's new added niche instead)
* Enemies in Magnetize with Magnetic procs on them are pulled in WAY harder to the centre (+ Polarize procs Magnetic on all struck enemies.)

Polarize
* Polarize could scale a slight bit better in its armor+shield-destroying power (maybe let it be an armor/shield-DEGEN on enemies, reducing the spam needed? This debuff could maybe look a bit ... violent, as this ability has no real visual oomph to it right now), and could grant Mag and her allies (if they are struck by the wave that is) some periodic Shield-regen (which would be seperate from natural shield-regen).
* Polarize's augment can also grant overshields to allies, and destroying armor also counts towards the shield-repair-effect.
* Polarize-shards can now be picked up by Mag for later use. Pull also drags shards towards her, for an automatic shard-pickup.

Crush & Shardstorm
* Crush deals 50/50 damage as Magnetic/Puncture and leaves enemies as crumbled-up balls for a few seconds after they are released from the final damage-pulse. These enemies would still be able to be moved around with Pull and Magnetize.
* Holdcast Crush to instead cast Shardstorm (which only costs 25 energy) -> Shardstorm will cause any Polarize-shards you carry/pick up to violently start whirling around you, dealing damage to any enemy that gets closeby. Each shard striking an enemy deals heavy amplified damage of the shard, but also consumes this shard. Can hit with 3 shards per second per target. Lasts until all shards are consumed, or until you holdcast the ability again.
* A silly change-idea for Crush's augment -> Fracturing Controlling Crush: Still causes Crush to immobilize enemies (which starts counting after they recover from the crumbled-state), but instead of reducing enemy armor, it now instead causes your Shardstorm to also add your melee weapon(s) to the whirling storm! Attacking with your melee weapon let's you get manual control of the weapon instantly again, removing it from the Shardstorm (but leaves the shards to still attack). Ending the Shardstorm manually (by holdcasting again) also stops the melee weapon from whirling around you. Works even without any shards, and continues even if all your shards are consumed. However, each successful melee hit costs 2 energy.
(I'm tired and am having silly ideas... I really need to go to bed now xD)

Passive
* No longer pulls in stuff upon bulletjump (we ought to have univac anyway...)
* New passive -> Armor affects her shields, and her shields cannot be bypassed with finisher/toxic damage.

mags biggest fault is her mediocre HP and energy she is a crowd control frame without heath and a caster without power or energy.  2 is good for killing armored/ high health targets and pull is good for getting energy back or escaping but as levels increase her 3 becomes useless except to buff her own shields which is her second problem a few toxin or slash procks will kill her rather quickly at base hp which is not worth increasing as her shields are almost double what her health is and her armor is almost nonexistent.  she either needs to be made into a CC frame or a caster.  for CC she will need a health and armor buff to make a caster she needs a better energy pool and her 3 and 4 need to be useful 4 should full strip armor while 3 would work like it does now but it would work as a base and then scale from there so that at base power it will do a minimum of 12.5% armor strip.           TLDR make Mag a caster or a CC frame but not some hybrid

18 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Does Mag a bit of QoL and such? Yes, definitely. (But so do all other Warframes, imo)

I wouldn't be able to almost max my Daily Focus (with lesser lenses, mind you) on a Corpus Eximus Interception Sortie. She absolutely WRECKS if played right. Further note; I use ALL her abilities, even Crush (but more for emergency CC when I screw up, or when I wanna keep enemies to stay put inside a Magnetize bubble, if they are particularly durable).

What could she need?

Pull
* Pulling enemies into Magnetize -> Enemies are deposited in the bubble, rather than pulled past it.
* Pull's augment should also disarm enemies (Titania's Spellbind-style), or at least pull out their magazines (free ammo + forces enemies to reload when they get up).

Magnetize
* Magnetize bubbles should be detonatable by default, augment should instead allow you to place Magnetize bubbles ANYWHERE (make some seriously deadly traps), but no longer disarms enemies (which would be Pull-augment's new added niche instead)
* Enemies in Magnetize with Magnetic procs on them are pulled in WAY harder to the centre (+ Polarize procs Magnetic on all struck enemies.)

Polarize
* Polarize could scale a slight bit better in its armor+shield-destroying power (maybe let it be an armor/shield-DEGEN on enemies, reducing the spam needed? This debuff could maybe look a bit ... violent, as this ability has no real visual oomph to it right now), and could grant Mag and her allies (if they are struck by the wave that is) some periodic Shield-regen (which would be seperate from natural shield-regen).
* Polarize's augment can also grant overshields to allies, and destroying armor also counts towards the shield-repair-effect.
* Polarize-shards can now be picked up by Mag for later use. Pull also drags shards towards her, for an automatic shard-pickup.

Crush & Shardstorm
* Crush deals 50/50 damage as Magnetic/Puncture and leaves enemies as crumbled-up balls for a few seconds after they are released from the final damage-pulse. These enemies would still be able to be moved around with Pull and Magnetize.
* Holdcast Crush to instead cast Shardstorm (which only costs 25 energy) -> Shardstorm will cause any Polarize-shards you carry/pick up to violently start whirling around you, dealing damage to any enemy that gets closeby. Each shard striking an enemy deals heavy amplified damage of the shard, but also consumes this shard. Can hit with 3 shards per second per target. Lasts until all shards are consumed, or until you holdcast the ability again.
* A silly change-idea for Crush's augment -> Fracturing Controlling Crush: Still causes Crush to immobilize enemies (which starts counting after they recover from the crumbled-state), but instead of reducing enemy armor, it now instead causes your Shardstorm to also add your melee weapon(s) to the whirling storm! Attacking with your melee weapon let's you get manual control of the weapon instantly again, removing it from the Shardstorm (but leaves the shards to still attack). Ending the Shardstorm manually (by holdcasting again) also stops the melee weapon from whirling around you. Works even without any shards, and continues even if all your shards are consumed. However, each successful melee hit costs 2 energy.

Passive
* New passive -> Armor affects her shields, and her shields cannot be bypassed with finisher/toxic damage.

yes please this would make her a real caster frame and fix her distinct lack of health

def needs a bit of a rework. higher health pool, more armor, more energy. she doesn't have a niche anymore and can only be played one way, more or less.

Some suggestions:

Her passive needs to be changed. Maybe one where the dropped shards from polarize could be picked up and added as temporary armor / overshields.

Her #1 needs needs a bit of tweaking. for one, instead of pulling all targets to a point behind mag, it should be directed, as in pulled towards where the mouse is pointing, for example. Secondly, ragdolled enemies should have a chance to be pulled again, since as a CC it only works the first couple of times, to a point where every other mob is on the floor and rising at different times because of multiple pulls. Give a partial chance to re-pull enemies on the ground.

Her #2 is okay overall, but detonating on recast definitely needs to be built in. casting multiple magnetize orbs to protect one's self would often make it hard to shoot into the orb we actually want to shoot into. Either built in detonate, or enable overlapping orbs to add damage to each other.

Her #3 is just sad. It also is pretty useless if the target's shield or armor is already stripped or non existent. It should instead work a bit more like nova's M prime. Recast-able, doing both flat damage to shields & armor but also return the % mini AoE based on how much armor / shield is stripped. Armor / Shield shards drop as per usual. Hitting a target without any shields or armor should also do some damage, probably not the % damage but some flat damage only with a chance to drop a health orb instead of shards. (or maybe introduce health shards?)

Her #4 is just garbage. Its too slow, leaves her exposed to being shot at, and doesn't do enough. I'd recommend it to be changed into either a timed skill or channeled skill.

- If it's a timed skill, it should work like stomp, but one where mag is free to run around. Casting it would create a static AoE that suspends enemies that enter the AoE in the air and does DoT magnetic damage. As the timer expires, the targets are slammed to the ground for impact damage and they produce shards. The skill should also introduce additional shards from the environment, as indicated by the current graphical effect the skill has.

- if it's a channeling skill, then Mag produces an AoE effect (like WoF Ember) that would lift a certain number of enemies in the AoE, suspends them in the air for DoT, and slams them on the ground. The duration of the air suspension is determined by skill duration.

22 hours ago, Azamagon said:

What could she need?

Pull

Magnetize

Polarize

Crush & Shardstorm

Passive

Some good ideas. I'd like most of those but would like to add that holding down 1 will instead Push the target.

Status weapons work good on her bubble as well, I personally like using the Boar prime and it works wonders. Her abilities (I think) are fine, yes her 1st and 4th could use a little work but they are still usable. and for the frame itself is going to go down sometimes because she is not meant to be a tank, she is meant to be support so she will get K.O'ed sometimes. Don't knock her for what she is, she still has it :)  

Edited by (XB1)SladesInjustice

Just finished today’s Void sorties with base Mag P. 3 different builds. No forma, no potato (building one reactor right now, but wanted to test base Mag P’s potential)

So she’s fine but you need some time to learn her mechanics, imo. Then you know exactly which one to cast given the situation. This takes tenure as a Volt main once said 

You can build with max range, less strength, pure CC then compensate with weapon 

Build with strength, with 2 to dps camp, 1, 3, 4 for mobile dps like exterminations

For energy with a V polarity aura, I build with hunter adrenaline or greedy pull to keep pulling in orbs. The more active u are the more energy u get back. Friends tell me growing power will work too once I have it.

I consistently get high number of abilities casted, even if my kills/dps is not always on top.

Be creative with how you get her energy back- vacuum bullet, greedy pull, rage type or siphon type u can even stack these.

For squishiness, position and parkour like the streamers do and you’ll do well. Meaning use cover & minimap.

An Excal main once said he survives the more you dps- he keeps blinding and slashing. I took that advice and it translated well with Mag. Keep crowd controlling & casting. 

11 minutes ago, (PS4)Chel-El said:

Just finished today’s Void sorties with base Mag P. 3 different builds. No forma, no potato (building one reactor right now, but wanted to test base Mag P’s potential)

So she’s fine but you need some time to learn her mechanics, imo. Then you know exactly which one to cast given the situation. This takes tenure as a Volt main once said 

You can build with max range, less strength, pure CC then compensate with weapon 

Build with strength, with 2 to dps camp, 1, 3, 4 for mobile dps like exterminations

For energy with a V polarity aura, I build with hunter adrenaline or greedy pull to keep pulling in orbs. The more active u are the more energy u get back. Friends tell me growing power will work too once I have it.

I consistently get high number of abilities casted, even if my kills/dps is not always on top.

Be creative with how you get her energy back- vacuum bullet, greedy pull, rage type or siphon type u can even stack these.

For squishiness, position and parkour like the streamers do and you’ll do well. Meaning use cover & minimap.

An Excal main once said he survives the more you dps- he keeps blinding and slashing. I took that advice and it translated well with Mag. Keep crowd controlling & casting. 

Well said

On 1/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, -DARMAN- said:

100 level sortie Vay Haek, Ambulas, Raptor And Lephantis wouldn't agree with your words... Because of deminishing returns effect.

Also, you wont stay inside of magnetize sphere if there is a napalm or toxin bubbles are flying round' in it. Taking step in it means oneshot for mag. Believe me, i am not reading posts before i will not try hard the subject as well as i can. Suvivals, derelict, defense... I've tried mag hard and i'va tried lots of builds, even some sorts of insane kind ones. It's easier to say what i not tried yet.

you dont stand inside the bubble at all.... replay mag and get good instead of complaining that u suck with a warframe and asking for buffs that it doesn't need