Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Review: Pleasantly Surprised

-RS-Covenant

Excalibur, then Loki, now Oberon.  I wasn't sure what to make of Oberon, or his "theme" I should say.  I guess he is a Guardian of the forest, which is why he looks similar to a deer.  I tried Rhino, but hes just not for me.  Rhino is not something I would want to build nonchalant, Oberon however is a piece of cake.  I needed a break from Loki bad(2 Forma runs), and Oberon was there a breath of fresh air.  I allowed him only Galatine and my Kubrow, and was able to level him up to 30 within 24 hours.  I don't think that's too bad for a MR 8-minus test who has not completed Uranus.
I am used to Sprint Speed 1.81(Loki) so it was grinding, but not too long.  First thing I noticed immediately is his excellent swordsmanship, he swings Galatine like its samurai sword, slicing thru Grineer without a care.  What is this thing?  He is skinny, weird looking, but hey this is Warframe.  He responds very well to modification, I got his Sprint Speed up to 1.45 and that seems to suit well for now.  His Abilities are sophisticated, at least to me they are.  
#1 Ability I tried a few times, the perp either dies, or they other perps kill him.  Either way "it" dies. #2 I call the "red carpet" its mostly for AI, anyone with a brain would just bullet jump over it.  Nevertheless its does some decent damage and with 145 Ability Reach covers a 360 degree few of the map for about 30 meters.  It also protects your team from element status from enemies such as radiation.  Frost and #2 Ability go hand in hand.  #3 Is great if your expecting a major event, such as final wave, Planet Boss, Robot boss, etc.  You do it ahead of time, or at least you try to.  But in emergencies it might heal you and your teammates enough to keep you from failing a defense mission.
Oberon is a "thinking man's" Warframe, you kinda have to plan your next move ahead of time as far as abilities go like a game of Chess.  That to me is the most interesting and unique thing about this frame.  He is powerful if you plan your moves right, and at the right time.  #4 Ability is my favorite, I only use for emergencies or if its a end-wave on defense.  It either eliminates them, or severely damages them + radiation sickness that will weaken and kill them with a few seconds.
Oberon has moves, hes the best swordsman Ive used so far in the game. That kinda makes me scratch my head, because he has hoofs and is basically a walking antelope.  But hey this is Warframe.  Hes not the most elegant like Excalibur, but give him a Galatine you will not regret it, he takes advantage of every cap you give him on melee mods.  Hes good with guns too.  I figured why not let him test my new toy Angstrum.  Its a Rocket Launcher, Oberon handles the recoil like a champ you can aim this like a sniper rifle.
With a few Primed Mods and some Forma, you could easily make Oberon a go-to frame for defense/survival/exterminate missions on end-game planets.  That's my plan with him so far, like I stated earlier Rhino isn't really my style.  Im very happy to have Oberon on the Team, hes an impressive Warframe and very "unique."  If you like Vauban, Frost, you'll enjoy Oberon.  If you not crazy about the "horned" look he has a few good cosmetics also. I actually received two free Oberon Helmets on easy Alerts.  So glad I didn't buy any, 75 plat for helmets they give away for free on alerts.
You can rest easy with Oberon after you level him up.  One thing I cannot figure out is why he has three of the same polarization....and one in the Aura slot?  That doesn't make sense to me, yet.  But like I said this is a "Thinking Man's" Warframe.

NU2vhs1.jpg

Af7DqcH.jpg

Interesting, but i remember using mostly the Reckoning-Hallowed Ground combo for armor stripping (because you're not killing anything at higher levels) and healing seemed so underpowered compared to Trinity. I mean, for each one of his abilities i felt like other frames could do better but hey, opinions.

Edited by (PS4)Dublincore

1 minute ago, Hypernaut1 said:

You need some Phoenix renewal up in that build. 

It's a syndicates augment if you're not aware. It allowed him to instantly gain health back after a fatal blow. 

Yes, oven is awesome. You can take him anywhere. 

Did you notice the red number in my Aura slot?  I don't have a single Aura mod with that Polarization, is that red number gonna hurt me, if so how bad?  I got plat if anyone wants to dump some duplicate mods PM me. $$$

14 minutes ago, Hyperdrome said:

Did you notice the red number in my Aura slot?  I don't have a single Aura mod with that Polarization, is that red number gonna hurt me, if so how bad?  I got plat if anyone wants to dump some duplicate mods PM me. $$$

If I catch you in game, I can give you his augments. Auras are easy to get, I would save the plat for now.

17 minutes ago, Hyperdrome said:

That Red Number in the Aura does not hurt you because you still receive extra mod capacity.

Just not the max Mod Capacity for matching the polarity.

Where as normal mods take away from Mod-capacity total; Aura Mods and Stance Mods always add to total Mod Capacity.

(Running an Aura is always beneficial, you did the right thing!)

il y a 20 minutes, Hyperdrome a dit :

Did you notice the red number in my Aura slot?  I don't have a single Aura mod with that Polarization, is that red number gonna hurt me, if so how bad?  

The Polarity of the slot is Madurai, so if your Aura has another polarity (here, Physique with a Vazarin polarity) will half the mod capacity you get from the aura (here, 4 instead of 7). If the Polarity matched, it would give twice the amount (here, 14 instead of 7). I suggest you to try to get Steel Charge (to get 18 mod capacity and 60% melee damage). 

By looking at your build, I have to say like Baro. It seems like minimalism is making a comeback. To be honest, I don't see how Rush would be better than, for example, Handspring (I saw you have it on the picture). You also have a 2 damaged mods, Armored Agility and Vigor, but no Redirection, no Vitality, no Steel Fibre. I think you would benefit more from those mods.

Oberon is my favorite Warframe since I got him, almost 3 years ago, as my very first carfted Warframe. Trust me, Oberon is a wonderful Warframe and he's worth all the time and Formas that you'll invest. 

Edited by Blade_Wolf_16

That definitely isn't bad so far, but could be improved. For one, find yourself an un-broken Intensify and Streamline, that will up the stats on those to 30% each. While Sprint Speed is fun, when you're moving you want to spend more time in the air, using Bullet Jump, Dive Roll and Slide and Aim Glide to get much greater momentum and distance in the air than Sprinting gives you on the ground, so you don't need to bump him higher like that.

Investing into a Steel Fibre is good, and if you think he's good with Melee already, try finding the Aura mod Steel Charge, which will not only give you bonus mod points for matching the polarity (it's also worth 9 points instead of the usual 7, so would get you 18 extra points instead of 14 for matching up), but will also grant you up to 60% extra melee damage at base.

Great job on grabbing a Primed Continuity, but since you're at the point you are, see if you can find somebody who'll trade you a Hunter Adrenaline mod, invest the Endo and you'll have 45% of damage to health converts to Energy (so you can gain energy back while using Renewal) and your pets will deal bonus damage if an enemy has a Slash status effect on them. It's a low ranked mod from the recent events and is only the second mod that will allow you to gain energy while using a drain ability like Renewal.

The Syndicates from the relays are great to invest into at this stage too, if you rank up with them you can purchase Augment mods for their Standing points (like Cetus) and the one people go for most is Phoenix Renewal, which means that once per minute instead of taking fatal damage you come back at 50% health.

And if you can unlock your Exilus slot, look for the mods that fit in there to improve your range or casting time.

What you're looking for on Oberon, though, is Strength. All his abilities get better with it, but don't sacrifice your other stats. Good Duration, Strength, a little Efficiency and Range, plus a Health and Armour mod will do wonders. I've managed to get him, with little effort, to the point of doling out 400 Armour with Iron Renewal, 80 Health per second on Renewal itself, and 60% flat armour strip for enemies hit with Reckoning on Hallowed Ground (two casts for full strip).

It makes for a very tanky team of frames when you play with others, especially with the fact that you don't have to pick them up as often when Phoenix Renewal is helping them not die. Well, as long as your team isn't walking face-first into Detron Crewmen, Bombard rockets or similar...

On 1/23/2018 at 8:16 AM, Thaylien said:

That definitely isn't bad so far, but could be improved.

Does this look a little bit better?  I picked up "Rifle Amp", I dont equip Oberon with a rifle but just wanted a full mod in that slot.  Gonna get a full Intensity Mod, obtaining that isn't a problem, just been busy running fissure so I can buy from Baro.  I added a forma, running survival infested I am able to level up within a few hours grinding with Corrosive+Gas Galatine.  Frost will be ready in a few hours.  I have Atlas, just waiting to buy the Atlas Blue Print currently it is Plat only(270).  I also have Vauban Prime ready to go, just need 800 Oxium to finish the foundry.  Yea a lot going on the past few days, I feel kinda overwhelmed but I choose to set him(Oberon) up probably. 

VqVEVq0.jpg

Eh, not bad, this is how I run him currently:

Spoiler

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

A lot of people recommend his Augments, but I find that unless I'm in a game where I'm going full Support for long runs, then this is the public/solo build I use for having fun. The reason for this is simple; I know that at the level I would genuinely need extra Armour, or Health or damage reduction of any kind, I'm already using tactics that put me out of the way of it.

When you can run a Banshee on Mot with Melee weapons only up to nearly an hour, you can run any frame you like through that content too. It's all a matter of what CC you have, what movement you have and so on.

So I just have fun with Oberon, the high Strength build lets me do pretty much anything I like with him and pick up other players whenever I feel like it.

5 hours ago, Thaylien said:

Hide contents

When you can run a Banshee on Mot with Melee weapons only up to nearly an hour, you can run any frame you like through that content too. It's all a matter of what CC you have, what movement you have and so on.

So I just have fun with Oberon, the high Strength build lets me do pretty much anything I like with him and pick up other players whenever I feel like it.

I dont have primed flow, and I sold transient fortitude.  Guy over payed me 40 plat and I think I payed like 5 so I sold it.  Would be nice to get both of those this weekend.  Maybe I should start Forma full time on this guy. My Vauban Prime wont be ready for 72 hours.  And your ability range, don't you want it to spread it as much as possible?  I think range 145 is perfect for Oberon, bump strength up to maybe 170 and call it good.  Dethcube picks off any survivors if they make it across.  This is maxed out until I add another Forma.  But I think for what I have its not bad.  I stays like this for now unless I changed for mission specific reasons.  After I add one more polarization we can play with prime mods I buy from Baro.

If its a rush mission, add rush, its a defense add rage, etc.  Your right about that Intensify, good call.

yCeAtzd.jpg

fun thing to do: build old oberon(preferably his prime, since it has much more energy) for nothing but efficiency and strength. add on health and armour, then add phoenix renewal.

weapon choices? tigris prime, euphona prime and cassowar. all built for; Status+power, crit+status, condition overload+relentless combo, respectively.

this will make oberon prime a living god, able to tank things beyond level 100 easily(if done right, your renewal will heal 102 hp a second. with iron renewal providing nearly 500 armour.) i tested against 4 level 115 corrupt HGs and it took them a solid 30-60 seconds to take me down with consistent fire. that's effing impressive for sortie level heavy units

47 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Orcus Imperium said:

fun thing to do: build old oberon(preferably his prime, since it has much more energy) for nothing but efficiency and strength. add on health and armour, then add phoenix renewal.

weapon choices? tigris prime, euphona prime and cassowar. all built for; Status+power, crit+status, condition overload+relentless combo, respectively.

this will make oberon prime a living god, able to tank things beyond level 100 easily(if done right, your renewal will heal 102 hp a second. with iron renewal providing nearly 500 armour.) i tested against 4 level 115 corrupt HGs and it took them a solid 30-60 seconds to take me down with consistent fire. that's effing impressive for sortie level heavy units

Don't forget that he has plenty of cc and damage redirection to go along with his tankiness. He's one of the best frames in the game imo.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Don't forget that he has plenty of cc and damage redirection to go along with his tankiness. He's one of the best frames in the game imo.

oh i know, he's my favorite frame after valkyr(prime now...both) and i enjoy being able to claim that i'v never once been downed while using him...granted my weapons of choice help, but that doesn't detract from how tanky and all around useful he is....though as of late i'v lost my right to make the previous claim after being downed a few times(i actually had to stop and process that when i first went down.) in the past couple of months.

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Orcus Imperium said:

oh i know, he's my favorite frame after valkyr(prime now...both) and i enjoy being able to claim that i'v never once been downed while using him...granted my weapons of choice help, but that doesn't detract from how tanky and all around useful he is....though as of late i'v lost my right to make the previous claim after being downed a few times(i actually had to stop and process that when i first went down.) in the past couple of months.

Usually I only go down if I'm doing extended survivals (well past level 100) but I find using the Sancti Tigris works wonders for both damage (I use a hunter munitions build) and the heals. I also have a furis with the augment but without an insane riven (which took forever to grind for) it's a pile of crap. The Sancti Magistar is a good weapon as well I just wish they would fix charge attacks to make it even more useful. 

(Can you tell how much I'm a New Loka fanboy?)

Edited by (PS4)Chris_Robet

17 minutes ago, (PS4)Chris_Robet said:

Usually I only go down if I'm doing extended survivals (well past level 100) but I find using the Sancti Tigris works wonders for both damage (I use a hunter munitions build) and the heals. I also have a furis with the augment but without an insane riven (which took forever to grind for) it's a pile of crap. The Sancti Magistar is a good weapon as well I just wish they would fix charge attacks to make it even more useful. 

(Can you tell how much I'm a New Loka fanboy?)

lol, i used to use the s.tigris....then i got the prime. i just love boasting that out of all my frames, my oberon prime is the strongest in terms of raw power

7 hours ago, Hyperdrome said:

And your ability range, don't you want it to spread it as much as possible?  I think range 145 is perfect for Oberon, bump strength up to maybe 170 and call it good.

The answer being that I genuinely don't need to. Outside of the Plains (in fact, even inside it for a lot of times) if I need more area I simply recast. But usually I don't need to because I'm in Tilesets. Every single one of those has areas where enemies are funnelled or have to walk, where I can either ambush or dive into as needed to use abilities to best effect. If it's necessary for allies to have the Hallowed Ground down for their benefit, then I cast it where they are, or where they're going to be, I don't need range because I can simply place it where I want it to be. Enemies that you want to cast Reckoning on will invariably be already on the HG or you'll have cast HG under them, at which point you'll be in that 15m radius for the cast anyway.

Much like the rest of Warframe, it's not so much what you play as how you play it; acquisition of enemies to hit, awareness of the environment, tactical placement of area-of-effect function versus the specific use of single-target functions (same as 'grenade vs rifle' in FPS games), and you find that once you work out the puzzle pieces it's just a matter of putting them into the right arrangement ^^ Heck, I have proof of being able to nearly (so very nearly) match kills and damage with a Nova player using only my Zephyr and an over-modded Mk-1 Paris during a Defense Sortie mission. It's all possible, if you figure it out ^^

Having a blast with Oberon, he now has 2 Forma.  Ive been using DethCube equipped with Prisma Shade's Laser gun, or my cloaking Kubrow who has 800+ Slash Attack.  Been leveling him up with Melee only equipped on Solo Survival Infested.  This serves two purposes, not only can I level him up rather quickly with Bonus Crit Galatine (Tempo Royal) but I accumulate mucho Relics on the survival runs.  I usually get to wave 20 solo and then limp to the evacuation, re-upgrade and repeat the process.  I then grind fissures, and use the Prime Parts as currency, rather than my credit card.  I can then buy whatever I want from Baro via Duca, or Mods I want to buy by selling them to people who don't want to do hours of fissure runs.  I can afford nice cosmetics because I list things I don't use on warframe.market, so I have numerous methods of accumulating Plat without every paying for it with real money. 

"Renew" Ability has a serious energy drain, similar to the same problems I was having with "Loki's Energy Needs."  I try not to use it more than once per inning, and only if I have more than 50% energy.  #3 & #4 having been working as expected as far as damage.  This #2 energy drain could be because of "DethCube" an energy field seems to always be emitting from him to either to myself or teammates.  Strangely enough DethCube is not equipped with any Shield recharge capabilities that im aware of.

Oberon I have discovered is an excellent marksman, I don't ever remember having this much fun with guns while using Loki.  Hes putting that Rifle Aura Mod to good use I suppose.  I made "Lanka" which is in the oven, and hes been using "Rubico" to pick off trains of trailing Grineer on fissure runs.  My only real complaint is he doesn't have much Bullet Jump Velocity or Speed.  I always seem to be the last one on fissure runs, everyone waiting on me again(one of the Reason I went with Loki.)

I now have Vauban Prime, I'm missing 1 Nitain from completing the components BP.  I had no clue Vauban Prime used so much resources but I shouldn't be surprised I guess with my luck and Warframes.  I also have Frost, but Oberon has similar defense methods, just doesn't use Cold.  Rhino, Frost, and Excalibur are in my personal Vault.  Loki and Oberon are the only two out the bunch that I use regularly and are level up.  Once Vauban Prime is ready, that may change all that.  Ive got all weekend to spend with Oberon and Loki,so well see what happens.

wh4XFMK.jpg

0BZVivU.jpg

gfrKJ34.jpg

8 hours ago, Hyperdrome said:

Having a blast with Oberon, he now has 2 Forma.

Enjoy, young Tenno, I'm glad you're getting into this.

But do grab more Slots and have have a blast with every frame, not all of them will suit your tastes, but you'll find that many of them have amazing style differences to how they work.

We'll see you soon, Space Ninja!

5 hours ago, Thaylien said:

But do grab more Slots and have have a blast with every frame, not all of them will suit your tastes, but you'll find that many of them have amazing style differences to how they work.

Slots not a problem, did I mention I have Frost, Rhino, Excalibur, Loki, Oberon, Atlas, Vauban, and Vauban Prime?  I just noticed something...there's no ladies on that list.  Im thinking Gara since I already have her weapons modded up.