Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Censorship Cutting Too Many Corners

Valthryn

17 minutes ago, Bouldershoulder said:

Here's the freedom of speech..

Technically, being the internet, American constitutional rights don’t extend. Besides, they’re based in Canada! I think the profanity filter is just... Dumb in general honestly.

We’re adults. Like, really? We’re resorting to Banned from Club Penguin levels because “no muh potty words.”

Just a little sad.

19 hours ago, Sean said:

If immature kids are playing the game, then that's on the parents

I know this is even harder to imagine, but it's actually adults that prefer not to see anything that would assault their sensibilities.  I have encountered adults have conniptions with even the use of the word damn and hell.  And even though this we have become lax on some of our filters on television, radio, etc.  They will still react as though you have attacked them with a baseball bat.  

On 14/02/2018 at 7:17 PM, Sean said:

The game is rated M for Mature.

If immature kids are playing the game, then that's on the parents, and then there's the whole thing that online multiplayer is ALWAYS going to get weird at times, regardless of any censorship in place. Censorship usually only affects legitimate usage as anyone who actually means to do ill-intent will always be able to work around anything set in place.

Here's the full ESRB rating information on Warframe:

-- source: http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=10000951&Title=Warframe

First of all Warframe is not for Adults Only. Parents (some) play with their kids and don’t want any of that and with the English language no need to express yourself like that, most of the time it’s adult using bad language.

26 minutes ago, (PS4)BURALEH said:

First of all Warframe is not for Adults Only. Parents (some) play with their kids and don’t want any of that and with the English language no need to express yourself like that, most of the time it’s adult using bad language.

When did I say it was for adults only?

I said "if immature kids are playing the game, then that's on the parents", I specifically said 'immature" for a reason.

If someone thinks a word is simply "bad" due to the word itself and ignoring the context behind the word, then I would say that person is "immature".

I also state "censorship usually only affects legitimate usage as anyone who actually means to do ill-intent will always be able to work around anything set in place" as censorship, like the form that DE chooses, doesn't actually DO anything. If someone wants to insult someone for whatever moronic reason, then they will find a way to do so even if the "normal" words are blacklisted.

So, if some parents have a child who is unable to discern context in a social setting, then they probably shouldn't be allowed to play an online game in general, or at the very least, the parents should not get upset when their child repeats the behavior they see.

Edited by Sean

I was able to name an Amp "Eidolon Molester", but got kicked from design council chat for describe a certain mechanic as a cancer to the game, because apparently the bot thought I was making a cancer joke.

Kickbot really needs a tune up.

42 minutes ago, Sean said:

When did I say it was for adults only?

I said "if immature kids are playing the game, then that's on the parents", I specifically said 'immature" for a reason.

If someone thinks a word is simply "bad" due to the word itself and ignoring the context behind the word, then I would say that person is "immature".

I also state "censorship usually only affects legitimate usage as anyone who actually means to do ill-intent will always be able to work around anything set in place" as censorship, like the form that DE chooses, doesn't actually DO anything. If someone wants to insult someone for whatever moronic reason, then they will find a way to do so even if the "normal" words are blacklisted.

So, if some parents have a child who is unable to discern context in a social setting, then they probably shouldn't be allowed to play an online game in general, or at the very least, the parents should not get upset when their child repeats the behavior they see.

Putting the blame on kids kind of unfair and immaturity is part of being a kid. Adults is why censorship is in place not kid which we expect from. Legitimate people have a way round this problem ie message DE problem will be sorted. And it sounds like you having a dig at DE and anyone opposed to U. Calling people immature, think about it kid can’t defend themselves. How old are U?????? 

Maybe you should tell the world a better way of censoring, u have another way ya.

10 minutes ago, (PS4)BURALEH said:

Putting the blame on kids kind of unfair and immaturity is part of being a kid. Adults is why censorship is in place not kid which we expect from. Legitimate people have a way round this problem ie message DE problem will be sorted. And it sounds like you having a dig at DE and anyone opposed to U. Calling people immature, think about it kid can’t defend themselves. How old are U?????? 

Maybe you should tell the world a better way of censoring, u have another way ya.

You appear to complete ignore large areas of what I am saying.

1. Parents should watch what they put in front of their kids and not drop it in front of them blindly, especially when it has online interactions.

2. Parents should not use television or video games to babysit their children.

3. I never ONCE insulted anyone

4. You are now resorting childish insults with that "How old are U" comment

5. It's quite simple actually, custom profanity filters with a parental lock, along with a "default" set of rules that can be used. Completely optional and gives more control to the parents/people who don't like certain words.

Edited by Sean

There is no way DE could take the gore and sexiness out of this game, and that's okay. But I have no issue with cleaning up the language a little bit. 

[Jiren speaking] The censoring of words in warframe is fascinating... But... This abstract censoring of words that COULD be pronounced as vulgarities... This is your limit.

We are mass-murdering hundreds, if not thousands every day. Cutting all kinds of life forms different from ours into bloody bits with guts  spilling all over us. 
But that's fine... Ordis forbid we say anything that may even remotely be considered offensive by some social butterfly... 
Logics...