Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The new timer feels pretty half baked

-Bing-

We all appreciate the effort and time it took to add this timer, and I know a lot of people have been anxiously waiting for such a feature, but as of right now it pretty much serves no purpose to anyone. I think everyone who might care about how quickly they get a mission done is going to be using some sort of video software to time to the thousandth of a second.

If you want to make this something more useful that players can actually use 

- Time to the millisecond (.000) 

Bonus points if the timer ends on the first frame of the mission complete screen.

Eh, I'd see it as potentially useful when doing contests or trying optimize a grind run. For example I'm still trying to make my Wisp farming as efficient as possible and I'd find the timer useful for that.

I think it's something very useful to add to the mission success statistics and seems like it belongs there, though I can see wanting more decimals.

13 hours ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

We all appreciate the effort and time it took to add this timer, and I know a lot of people have been anxiously waiting for such a feature, but as of right now it pretty much serves no purpose to anyone. I think everyone who might care about how quickly they get a mission done is going to be using some sort of video software to time to the thousandth of a second.

Bonus points if the timer ends on the first frame of the mission complete screen.

Speedrunners are not even remotely large enough as a group to warrant a change like this. Other people don't care to a thousandth decimal and sure as hell don't care that the timer doesn't stop at the most precise time possible.

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Speedrunners are not even remotely large enough as a group to warrant a change like this. Other people don't care to a thousandth decimal and sure as hell don't care that the timer doesn't stop at the most precise time possible.

Thanks for the toxic opinion.

Next time you want to give it, check if someone asked. Considering speed runners get maybe 98-99% less support than Conclave, I don't think it's too much to request a simple quality of life change when it's feasible. 

5 minutes ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

Thanks for the toxic opinion.

Next time you want to give it, check if someone asked. Considering speed runners get maybe 98-99% less support than Conclave, I don't think it's too much to request a simple quality of life change when it's feasible. 

Disagreeing opinion =/= toxic.

Baselessly accusing someone of toxicity = toxic.

You posted in a public forum, that's an open invitation for the public to express their opinions.

Furthermore you have actually asked for public opinions by categorising it as General Discussion.

"Come discuss my opinion guys and gals".

15 hours ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

If speedrunners are already timing their runs down to a thousandth of a second, why would they need anything else to time their runs? 

15 hours ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

It's already useful, though. I doubt this was made with speedrunners in mind. But for me, it's nice. Today I had about half an hour to play before I needed to go do real life stuff. I did a fissure capture, saw that it took me about 2 minutes, and from that could roughly calculate how many relics I had time to open before I needed to be out the door. Nothing groundbreaking, but nice to have.

Edited by rune_me

20 hours ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

So...It's useless to you and somehow it's useless to everyone?

Like @peterc3 said, there isn't enough if a demand for such a thing to justify such a change, especially so close to the implementation date, and if players want down to the millisecond, then they're probably using a 3rd party program to do so.

4 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

Disagreeing opinion =/= toxic.

Baselessly accusing someone of toxicity = toxic.

You posted in a public forum, that's an open invitation for the public to express their opinions.

Furthermore you have actually asked for public opinions by categorising it as General Discussion.

"Come discuss my opinion guys and gals".

You've assumed my gender.

#toolazytobetriggered

#youresotoxic

Edited by MagPrime
The "whoa" emote made me realize not everyone knows I'm teasing and that Monkey and I are dating.

Il y a 15 heures, .chcesz.piwo. a dit :

but as of right now it pretty much serves no purpose to anyone.

Says who?

The timer is working as intended, it shows you the time you've spent in a mission that doesn't have its own timer which basically falls down to : Every single mission that isn't a survival.
It helps people figure out their average time in a mission and allow them to play more or less depending on the situation.
It's a feature that was specifically requested for those very purpose.

Adding to that, there's too much disparity between how Speed runners calculate their time, one specific timer set by DE themselves wouldn't be worth it.
For one it'll be on the last frame, the other it'll be after the loading screen and for you it's on the very first frame.
You won't be satisfied by how someone else counts your time, so you'll be better off counting it yourself.

There's absolutely no reason to add those milliseconds other than to cluster up the page even more to the point where it won't be read by the vast majority of the community.

The ongoing theme here "I don't need the feature you're requesting so I'm going to adamantly argue that the feature doesn't need to eixst"

Do you guys wait in front of banks and tell people, as they're approaching the door, that they need to push it to open it? Just to make sure they know?

11 minutes ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

Do you guys wait in front of banks and tell people, as they're approaching the door, that they need to push it to open it? Just to make sure they know?

This analogy has no relevance to the point you're trying to make.

11 minutes ago, .chcesz.piwo. said:

The ongoing theme here "I don't need the feature you're requesting so I'm going to adamantly argue that the feature doesn't need to eixst"

You can always buy a stopwatch. Most digital watches and mobile phones come with one. If not, $4.00 at Amazon.

Mission timer is working as intended. It tells you how much time it took for you to complete the mission. If it doesn't fit your personal needs, you're the one with the problem.

This would probably need to go in the feedback forum...

The timer isn't as good as it can be, but for being implemented it is fine imo. It would be nice if they could make the time more accurate. It seems to currently be starting a second too early or ending a second too late, and always round up. I think there is valid arguments to round up and something I'm for. Although I would like to see the extra second be eliminated. This is just making the already in-game mission timer just public, and if they were to remove the extra second which is most likely the timer starting earlier than before the very first instance of your hud appearing (which is first moment you can move).

Although yes I would like to see MS I think the people who are going to be competing for 1st/2nd/3rd will be willing to put in extra work, this is a great option for people wanting to get into speedrunning since they no longer have to install a program such as LiveSplit and learn how to use it, and then afterwards some even go into a editing program to correctly time it.

If the timer is consistent in adding extra time (+1 second and rounding up) then it works as a good estimate and you might not even need to run LiveSplit while recording if you want to be lazy.

Overall, IMO the feature is good, not ideal and I welcome fixes and updates to the timer for speedrunners I understand the issues of potentially adding milliseconds on DE's part depending on how they record your time so I can understand them not wanting to.

Although, I will say that people who don't see the point in adding it and are not providing any argument other than "The players don't need it"... that isn't an argument. There has been plenty of features added to this game that many people even vast majority of the community doesn't need. Development is about helping all players, and adding a feature that helps some and not all is completely fine as long as it doesn't impact the others in a negative way. Please do be considerate of how others play the game, just because you don't see the point doesn't mean there isn't any. If DE does add in a ms counter they could lock it behind a toggle if people are against seeing it for whatever reason other than some people not needing it.

1 minute ago, Tenno0215573 said:

Speedrunners shouldn't enjoy this game, because there's not enough of them. Flawless logic.

No one said speedrunners shouldn't enjoy the game. They said, a feature shouldn't be implemented to carter specifically to them.

Are you suggesting that speedrunners need that advanced timer to be able to enjoy the game? If that's the case, then they have been unable to enjoy the game all this time, since there has never been a timer before. Which I guess would explain why there's so few of them. 

Just now, rune_me said:

No one said speedrunners shouldn't enjoy the game. They said, a feature shouldn't be implemented to carter specifically to them.

Are you suggesting that speedrunners need that advanced timer to be able to enjoy the game? If that's the case, then they have been unable to enjoy the game all this time, since there has never been a timer before. Which I guess would explain why there's so few of them. 

There was a timer in raids, alot of people ran them as speedruns

6 minutes ago, -dicht.Nusmag- said:

There was a timer in raids, alot of people ran them as speedruns

But raids are gone and despite DE saying they're "improving them", I don't think we should hold our breaths for them to come back.

I get that this game is not so speedrunner friendly in its current state. What's really there to speedrun, other than to see how many Eidolons you can capture in a night, and that really has a lot more to do with your weapons setup than with being able to move fast. It's basically just capture and maybe exterminate now. 

I'd still say that the few speedrunners who are there, will be much better off using whatever methods they are currently using to measure time, such as editing software. It's tried and true, they are familiar with it and it is almost certainly more reliable anyway. I doubt most speedrunners used the inbuilt timer in raids in the first place.

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

But raids are gone and despite DE saying they're "improving them", I don't think we should hold our breaths for them to come back.

I get that this game is not so speedrunner friendly in its current state. What's really there to speedrun, other than to see how many Eidolons you can capture in a night, and that really has a lot more to do with your weapons setup than with being able to move fast. It's basically just capture and maybe exterminate now. 

I'd still say that the few speedrunners who are there, will be much better off using whatever methods they are currently using to measure time, such as editing software. It's tried and true, they are familiar with it and it is almost certainly more reliable anyway. I doubt most speedrunners used the inbuilt timer in raids in the first place.

We did use the ingame timer this site picked it up live: http://content.warframe.com/dynamic/trialStats.php and is removed now. Records from the recording are still here: https://trials.wf/player/?user=-dicht.Nusmag-

2 hours ago, rune_me said:

do you remember doing the same boss over and over again for that one blueprint you need but won't drop?

its just nice to see how much time you spent on the mission when you start trying to make runs more efficient, before you give up on the boss like "ugh im never going to get equinox's night aspect, at least i somehow shaved off half a minute"
same applies to farming ivara too, doing spies over and over again

even though at that point in the game players may not have the most optimized equipment to actually speedrun with, that won't matter too much as like i said its just nice and a bit of a distraction from things in those scenarios

edit: just saw one of your older replies and it kinda said similar things to what i said, woops :p

4 hours ago, rune_me said:

It's already useful, though. I doubt this was made with speedrunners in mind. But for me, it's nice. Today I had about half an hour to play before I needed to go do real life stuff. I did a fissure capture, saw that it took me about 2 minutes, and from that could roughly calculate how many relics I had time to open before I needed to be out the door. Nothing groundbreaking, but nice to have.

Edited by -CG-gucci