Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How are 'leechers' an issue?

mosaickle

When i am on trinity i demand you dps when i give you energy and  heals while i just stand there

Or i leave and you can have less loot and affinity or have your fissure defense train end prematurely

I can just find any other group as easy as you infact much easier than you being trinity.

28 minutes ago, JDxBarracka said:

When i am on trinity i demand you dps when i give you energy and  heals while i just stand there

Or i leave and you can have less loot and affinity or have your fissure defense train end prematurely

I can just find any other group as easy as you infact much easier than you being trinity.

Well aren't you entitled.

When I'm Wukong and can revive you infinitely I demand you DPS whilst I stand there all tanky, or else I'll act like a spoilt child and leave just to spite you.

17 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

When I'm Wukong and can revive you infinitely I demand you DPS whilst I stand there all tanky, or else I'll act like a spoilt child and leave just to spite you.

And if you both don't keep up your end of the team I will sit there and mock both of you. 

11 hours ago, (XB1)Mythical Warden said:

You're asking why they're a bad thing, and you're making it seem like you're making leecher sound like a good thing. Let me ask, do you think they're good?

I'm not asking why they're a bad thing, I'm asking why people get so worked up about it. I'm not trying to make leechers sound like a good thing at all, if that's what you wanna try advertise then you're not gonna go anywhere. I already did mention PvE etiquette but some people just blow the issue way out of proportion (and what I don't understand the most, get emotionally flustered about it). 

In no way do I encourage leeching, I'm neutral about it, I literally cannot care less if they added some mechanic in the game to detect/kick leechers or not, in fact I don't think I ever notice leechers entirely. In publics I always let the others do what they want. 

On 11.4.2018 at 11:26 PM, NSDBL said:

I don't see what's so terribly tilting about having leechers who either AFK or do minimum work. Like, how does it impact your gameplay so negatively? If anything they just increase the amount of enemies for you to kill which I'd love. 

I absolutely understand that Warframe is PvE and that it's obviously encouraged to have teamplay (and it's basic PvE etiquette) but I just don't see how you can get that bothered by it like some other people have complaining in the forums

Are you bothered if I come to your house to live off of you?

Edited by BETAOPTICS

On 4/11/2018 at 4:26 PM, NSDBL said:

I don't see what's so terribly tilting about having leechers who either AFK or do minimum work. Like, how does it impact your gameplay so negatively? If anything they just increase the amount of enemies for you to kill which I'd love. 

I absolutely understand that Warframe is PvE and that it's obviously encouraged to have teamplay (and it's basic PvE etiquette) but I just don't see how you can get that bothered by it like some other people have complaining in the forums

warframe is the kinda game where leeching isnt very common, and most of the time it does happen its usually because there isnt anything to do since some self apponted s@!% decided oh nah yall cant play the game, ima clear this whole map myself.

1 hour ago, BETAOPTICS said:

Are you bothered if I come to your house to live off of you?

Okay but living in my house and playing video games are two very different things. Me going to work, the money I earn, the things I buy for that, is a matter of genuine life and death. It's how I pay my rent and put food on in my fridge. Me playing a video game is just to kill some time and have fun. There are no real world consequences to the later, but there's plenty to the former.

Yeah I dislike a leech too and usually leave the game when they pop up, but it's not something I can take serious offense with, because Warframe (or any game) is not something I could ever be serious about. I'm just saying, the analogy don't work.

6 hours ago, NSDBL said:

I'm asking why people get so worked up about it.

To be fair, OP, this thread IS a little unclear on its purpose. Do you literally want to know logical reasons as to why people don't like leechers? Or do you just want to know the community's general sentiment regarding leeching? Or is this some indirect way of telling people that you are annoyed by people complaining about some thing as insignificant as leeching on the forum and you want to belittle them? I think you already know the answer to the first one yourself, so that can't be it. It must then be between the second one and the third one. Let's make it clear so that there's no confusion.

6 hours ago, NSDBL said:

but some people just blow the issue way out of proportion (and what I don't understand the most, get emotionally flustered about it). 

It sounds like you are bothered by their existence, and I don't understand why. Moreover, I don't understand why you would care so far as to take your energy and time to make a thread about it in such a negative way (judging by your use of language such as "out of proportion" or "emotionally flustered", which makes this question definitely not neutral). You already know that leeching is not a nice thing to do and is against general etiquette. There will always be complainers when they feel like they are being used or being treated unfairly. It's in our nature. There are even subspecies of bats that evolved to detect and punish "free riders" who don't share the spoils but only take them. Let them complain if they wish to and move on like you would let leechers be and move on. Making thread about people complaining on the forum is as much as "way out of proportion" as complaining itself.

Otherwise, if you LITERALLY and PURELY was scientifically curious as to why people complain, you have my sincerest apology for misinterpreting your words. In this case, I would recommend this book: Cognition: Exploring the Science of the Mind, Daniel Reisberg.

44 minutes ago, Gharsan said:

To be fair, OP, this thread IS a little unclear on its purpose. Do you literally want to know logical reasons as to why people don't like leechers? Or do you just want to know the community's general sentiment regarding leeching? Or is this some indirect way of telling people that you are annoyed by people complaining about some thing as insignificant as leeching on the forum and you want to belittle them? I think you already know the answer to the first one yourself, so that can't be it. It must then be between the second one and the third one. Let's make it clear so that there's no confusion.

It sounds like you are bothered by their existence, and I don't understand why. Moreover, I don't understand why you would care so far as to take your energy and time to make a thread about it in such a negative way (judging by your use of language such as "out of proportion" or "emotionally flustered", which makes this question definitely not neutral). You already know that leeching is not a nice thing to do and is against general etiquette. There will always be complainers when they feel like they are being used or being treated unfairly. It's in our nature. There are even subspecies of bats that evolved to detect and punish "free riders" who don't share the spoils but only take them. Let them complain if they wish to and move on like you would let leechers be and move on. Making thread about people complaining on the forum is as much as "way out of proportion" as complaining itself.

Otherwise, if you LITERALLY and PURELY was scientifically curious as to why people complain, you have my sincerest apology for misinterpreting your words. In this case, I would recommend this book: Cognition: Exploring the Science of the Mind, Daniel Reisberg.

To be fair I wasn't expecting this thread to become as big as it has, I really expected it to die off like at maximum the start of a second page of posts.

I'm definitely the 'sentiment regarding leeching' one, I don't think you can 'belittle' someone for complaining can you? I just find it baffling in the purest sense that people can indeed get so flustered about something that at least seems to me, be so insignificant.

But to be fair a huge factor in this (which I've realized myself quite early on after making this thread) is that I don't exactly play a lot of mission types where leeching would be an issue. If I play linear missions (capture, sabotage, ones where you have to run around and do stuff) in public then there's always at least one other person doing something so leeching in that really isn't noticeable. If I play endless missions like defense, well I hardly ever play them except leveling and even so I hardly go past 20 waves so even with leeching on Akkad that isn't too hard to handle. I only really play survivals and spy missions solo and I never ever play interception (imo worst game mode). So essentially I either don't play things where leechers would go, play and simply not notice because everything's so hectic or I would just play/prefer solo

Just now, NSDBL said:

I'm definitely the 'sentiment regarding leeching' one, I don't think you can 'belittle' someone for complaining can you? I just find it baffling in the purest sense that people can indeed get so flustered about something that at least seems to me, be so insignificant.

It's because people don't want this type of behavior to go unchallenged and become a silent acceptance. If calling out such actions can dissuade even just a single person sitting on the fence, it is worth doing and is better than giving them a false notion that the community is fine with leeching.

If no one brings up the issue of leeching but we're all silently agreeing that it is bad behavior, who is going to tell them that what they're doing is unacceptable?

23 minutes ago, Flandyrll said:

If no one brings up the issue of leeching but we're all silently agreeing that it is bad behavior, who is going to tell them that what they're doing is unacceptable?

Fair point, though I will say I've seen far less of "leeching has a negative impact on the game and here's why" than "omg I hate leeching so much Warframe needs a kick feature"

20 minutes ago, NSDBL said:

That's understandable, as you, I and others have mentioned it's just ettiquette.

Because of that I don't get annoyed specifically at the problems and issues inherent to leeching, but to bad manners in general. Yeah, sure, leeching is a separate can of worms, but the issues are normally minor. Nothing to really get flustered about.

Dealing with OAP's with bad attitudes, mouthy teenagers and bratty Mums with pushchairs at work is already soul crushing. I don't want to put up with this all day, log into a video game to relax and then find even more people behaving "poorly". That's really not the point of a video game, nor should it be (imo) the norm for society.

I respect leechers in the same amount of effort they put into our missions.

I'll be honest I can generally solo anything without much hassle but I think to myself what is the point of leeching? It's like going to a movie and sleeping through it cause I am too lazy to watch it. The whole point of the game is to have fun so why be lazy to have fun? 

5 minutes ago, NSDBL said:

I just find it baffling in the purest sense that people can indeed get so flustered about something that at least seems to me, be so insignificant.

Taking aside the matter of if I agree with you or not, I can at least understand where your sentiment comes from, at least a little bit. Yeah, I am now more of a "grin, report and move on" guy when it comes to leechers, but I used to be one of those people who just had to vent somewhere after meeting leechers. Getting immersed in game can sometimes do that to you I guess, but I still think they have all the right to vent against something that's clearly a user violation.

12 minutes ago, NSDBL said:

But to be fair a huge factor in this (which I've realized myself quite early on after making this thread) is that I don't exactly play a lot of mission types where leeching would be an issue.

I do all kinds of missions, and I meet at least one leecher a day, and trust me there are really really bad ones. Not in the sense that they are "causing problems in completing a mission", but in toxicity. When I was about mid-one digit MR, I joined public Eidolon bounty. There were two more people similar to me, and there was this MR 24 person with fully potatoed prime gear. While us 3 were running all around the map doing all the job, the person was standing on the opposite end of the map, fishing and mining stuffs. I told him to join us a couple of time, but he/she ignored. When we completed all the bounty with our full energy and concentration, he/she finally wrote in chat, "ah, FINALLY!".

After that, the conversation went like this:

The person: I am farming!

Me: so you were leeching...?

The person: Yes! :)

Me: Lol

The person: Lol. Thanks for the help by the way! ;)

Me: No problem. I am reporting you by the way :)

The person: Lol

18 minutes ago, NSDBL said:

interception (imo worst game mode)

A sentiment that I wholeheartedly agree.

10 hours ago, DeMonkey said:

10 hours ago, JDxBarracka said:

i leave and you can have less loot and affinity or have your fissure defense train end prematurely

Definitely much easier to find a group against a wukong  player :)

10 minutes ago, NSDBL said:

Fair point, though I will say I've seen far less of "leeching has a negative impact on the game and here's why" than "omg I hate leeching so much Warframe needs a kick feature"

People are generally more interested in attempting to push for a solution to see the problem solved rather than hammer a point that's generally accepted by most sensible individuals. I'd like to believe that most, if not all of us, are in agreement that intentional leeching is just disgusting behavior so there's little reason to reiterate it. There'll always be people who will do it regardless and presenting a foolproof case against them won't stop them so the thing best thing to try to push for is a reactive solution against leeching. 

Granted, a kick function has been brought up countless of times with it bouncing back and forth, particularly due to the concern that it might be abused against innocent players and that would open a new can of worms.