Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How am I supposed to do this? (War Within)

I have an issue with the War Within questline, more specifically the archwing mission. First, a bit of backstory. I was born with a visual condission known as optic nerve hypoplasia. This means that the nerves between my eyes and brain did not fully develop properly, this means that I am legally blind according to many governments, including the U.S. I have some usable vision, but it's nowhere near perfect. This makes archwing missions difficult as they are in their current form. Many times I've ended up wandering off into open space and being force extracted, failing the mission in the process, or slamming into walls so many times that I blow myself to bits. Now to the point of the entire topic. I was able to bring a friend with me in a squad through the first two missions of the questline, but that all changed in mission #3, the dreaded archwing mission. There is no way for me, given my personal visual limitations to complete this mission, meaning I am unable to complete the entire quest as a result. I streamed my attempts to do so, and have the video saved for future viewing. If requested, I can provide not only this video, but my 8 hour stream where I reached and forced my way through Second Dream. It pains me so that the rest of the endgame content is locked away behind a challenge that not everyone will be fully able to complete. I am not the only disabled warframe player out there, and many of us have had challenges with missions of this nature. Before any of you tell me to "get good" I have been playing video games my entire life and done things that most people have issues with because I've learned to follow different cues than just visual tells. 

I have a few suggestions as to how this could be solved.

1: allow a 2 party squad where one person can go through first and deactivate the lasers for the other player. 

2. allow you to latch onto the side of the cargo ship so you only have to rotate around it to avoid the lasers.

I'm sure that with enough practice and memorization, I could complete it myself with option 2, however, as it currently stands, I am progress locked. I have already spent $30 on this awesome game before even completing Second Dream, and I love what it has become over the years. The prospects of being able to teleport around with Void Dash and blast grineer and infested with Void Blast sounds so very fun, but I will never be able to do that without violating the terms of service and having someone else complete that mission for me. I am very sad after tonight's stream and even ended early because of it. I hope we can find a solution to this impassible progress lock so I can begin doing sorties with friends and enjoying more of the awesome content this game has to offer..

Honestly, I'd assume support MIGHT be your best bet mate, more direct that way. There's an abysmal chance that a ComMod would notice this TBH, much more the DEvs themselves.

5 minutes ago, p3z1 said:

Honestly, I'd assume support MIGHT be your best bet mate, more direct that way. There's an abysmal chance that a ComMod would notice this TBH, much more the DEvs themselves.

thanks for the honest and helpful answer. I hope to fight alongside you some day fellow Tenno. I'll give this a few days to see what comes up here on the forums then link them the thread in a support ticket.

3 minutes ago, GlitchedVision0101 said:

thanks for the honest and helpful answer. I hope to fight alongside you some day fellow Tenno. I'll give this a few days to see what comes up here on the forums then link them the thread in a support ticket.

Good luck with that~

Wouldn't it be possible to invite one of your friends over so they could finish this difficult part of the game for you?

It doesn't completely resolve the issue of handicapped people being unable to complete this part of the quest, but it would alleviate the problem of being progress locked.

26 minutes ago, JuicyButthurt said:

Wouldn't it be possible to invite one of your friends over so they could finish this difficult part of the game for you?

It doesn't completely resolve the issue of handicapped people being unable to complete this part of the quest, but it would alleviate the problem of being progress locked.

I feel this technically is account sharing and against the rules. But I do feel for OP so long as I dont know it, it wont bother me. Ijust dont appreciate it being openly descussed, private messages do exist.

Anyway I'm sure support will help, they've improved visuals for color blind Tenno.

I one day hope for surround sound in games to be great enough for the blind to be able to play with us.

50 minutes ago, (XB1)Evilpricetag said:

I feel this technically is account sharing and against the rules. But I do feel for OP so long as I dont know it, it wont bother me. Ijust dont appreciate it being openly descussed, private messages do exist

Good luck detecting hotseat without major infringement on privacy :clap:

DE does this, streamers do this, there's SharePlay on PS4, w/e.

Even if there were repercussions, "I'm legally blind and I couldn't pass this stage without help" would be met with nothing but understanding and at worst a slap on the wrist given DE's attitude towards making the game playable by handicapped people.

Edited by JuicyButthurt

3 minutes ago, GlitchedVision0101 said:

I wonder if anyone has tried using the Itzel's cloak ability to pass through the segment undetected.

I believe you’re not able to use abilities in that part of the quest. You’re best bet is contacting support, hopefully they’ll help you through that part of the quest. https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Edited by xXDeadsinxX
Added link

3 minutes ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

The problem with that is that you have to move past the lasers, and Itzal's Cloak deactivates on movement.

I see... I didn't know since the starter archwing is the only one I've used. I'm currently building Amesha, but it's not quite finished yet.

1 hour ago, GlitchedVision0101 said:

I see... I didn't know since the starter archwing is the only one I've used. I'm currently building Amesha, but it's not quite finished yet.

DE has no way of detecting if you have a live person with you to help you finish the mission, and if they did id want to sue them for literally spying on me.

Having a ftiend irl come over and help you isnt something that could be considered against the rules, or at least not something actionable.

13 hours ago, GlitchedVision0101 said:

I wonder if anyone has tried using the Itzel's cloak ability to pass through the segment undetected.

You supposed to move with the grineer ship thing passing through the lasers and use it to block you from being hit by the lasers/beams. So you have to move around it and be opposite to the direction of the beam, so you are blocked from the beam

5 hours ago, (PS4)Schobii564 said:

How blind are you exactly? What difficulties do you have specifically? Tbh it should be totally fine inviting a friend over to do it for you or use shareplay, no worries

I have a visual acuity of 20/200, which means that what you can see from a football field away, I have to be 20 feet away just to register that it exists, and still can't make out any details.

9 hours ago, Cosmic_Elf said:

You supposed to move with the grineer ship thing passing through the lasers and use it to block you from being hit by the lasers/beams. So you have to move around it and be opposite to the direction of the beam, so you are blocked from the beam

I know what is required, but this is quite difficult as navigation in a 3 dimensional space is difficult for me to handle. plus, I can't even see the beams until I'm right next to them, giving me absolutely no reaction time to get to the side I need to be on without memorization and lots more error than trial.

to make matters worse for me, I don't have a graphics card good enough for shadow play, or AMD equivalent, which is PC's answer to shareplay. so this is out of the question, hense why I'm asking for help from DE to make the game more accessible to those with disabilities. As for having a local friend do it for me, none of my local friends even play Warframe, and the one who does is nowhere near the point I am at and I don't want to give that person spoilers while they try to help me through a section that they themselves haven't even reached yet.

1 hour ago, GlitchedVision0101 said:

I have a visual acuity of 20/200, which means that what you can see from a football field away, I have to be 20 feet away just to register that it exists, and still can't make out any details.

I have 20/800 vision in my "good" eye. Try playing with your contrast/brightness settings. I had very little trouble finishing this section because the contrast between the bright lasers and the dark background made it very obvious to me where I needed to be. I spent the first few "attempts" really just hanging back and figuring out what my cues were and after that it only took 3 more attempts.

Question - How do you handle the mastery tests? Everything is all 3 shades of blinding white and there's not much you can do about it. I have a lot of trouble telling the difference between platforms and empty space. 

3 hours ago, Ottofyre said:

I have 20/800 vision in my "good" eye. Try playing with your contrast/brightness settings. I had very little trouble finishing this section because the contrast between the bright lasers and the dark background made it very obvious to me where I needed to be. I spent the first few "attempts" really just hanging back and figuring out what my cues were and after that it only took 3 more attempts.

Question - How do you handle the mastery tests? Everything is all 3 shades of blinding white and there's not much you can do about it. I have a lot of trouble telling the difference between platforms and empty space. 

I've only had issues with 3 of them so far, one was the shooting accuracy test, one is the stealth section and the last is the floating platform survival. I'm coming up on the speedrun which will also be an issue as the timing is way too tight for me to do it properly. Since those aren't exactly story spoilery, I've had one of my local friends who doesn't play warframe come in and give me a hand. they feel much like any other action oriented third person shooter. Other tests I've found ways to cheese like using ciphers on the hacking test, taking all the time I needed for the platforming test, and bringing a pet into #6 to help me track down enemies. I do feel however that those tests also need some looking into for accessibility issues.

I had a volunteer locally to clear the archwing segment for me, we stopped at the point of no return. I'll be streaming the rest tonight if anyone paying attention to the thread wants to come by and offer support/advice. My twitch name is the same as on here/in warframe.