Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutagen Sample Mayhem

PooPooPirate

Hi
My name is PooPooPirate

I spend my days as a space ninj- I mean pirate
I have a clan and we have a pirate ship(more to be built in the future)

Even though me and my clan are pirates and we rob poor ol' grineer and corpus etc, and are quite efficient there just seems to be one problem.
How are infested robbing us as hard as they are even though we are practically slaughtering them.
I am talking about the infamous MUTAGEN SAMPLE

It is exceedingly hard to farm.
In my latest test run of 11 minutes I got

14 mutagen samples
I had Nekros Prime and Resource Booster
Which means a normal player without either would get roughly 3 or 4 in the same run.
Thats fine and all except as a shadow clan you need 15,000 mutagen samples to just research the hema, it is a big 00f
Let me put that in perspective
If my shadow clan was maxed at 30 players and they all kept getting consistently that same run it and we all kept doing individual runs
All of our members would have to do 35-36 of those 11 minute runs
Or roughly 6 and a half hours of farming that resource for each of our members IF they had a nekros and resource booster
which adds up to a collective 196 hours give or take of farming to get enough mutagen mass.
Let me put this bluntly

AINT NOBODY GOT TIEM FO DAT

Not to mention compared to other researchable weapons the Hema is relatively mediocre. The sole reason I wont upgrade my clan to Storm right now is due to the insane Hema cost.
I am more than sure most clans run into the same issue as well if they dont choose to fully ignore the Hema.
But why so expensive, or why are mutagen samples so extra rare compared to the other faction needed resources.

All I am asking is to not burst into tears of despair when looking into my clan's research.
Or at least some answers as to why I have to.

pls fix

d301d08192c9c5eeb48987a5f6a6565f.png7a97120b4bd5752f9d8cf702d0a53e20.jpg

Back when you and your clanmates did sabotage on eris, did you often open the caches?

Back when you and your clanmates farmed for corrupted mods, how many mutagens did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates scanned kavats, How many mutagens did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates cleared the star map, how many mutagens did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates practiced the derelict missions like the sabotages, the defenses or the survivals (these sometimes have some cool drops), how many did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates did the derelict boss, how many did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates did the weekly mission at maroo's bazar to gather a statue, you would sometimes be in a derelict mission, how many mutagens you guys got?

Back when you and your clanmates farmed the alad V nav coordinates, how many mutagens you guys got?

Back when you and your clanmates collected the cephalong fragments and the music fragments, how many mutagens did you guys get?

You get the idea, carefull when using the word "efficiecy" because if you run towards a vault and then extract and have a total of 2 kills, then you know exactly where are the missing mutagens you need, still in the derelicts

The game balances effort with time, the less effort you make, the more grind, the more time and the more missions you need, it's no suprise that players that kill 5 enemies in a capture will need a ton of more missions to even match someone who did 200 kills and destroyed crates along the way.

Again, carefull with the word efficiency, are you absolutely sure all your clanmates try to kill enemies to begin with? If so your clan is unmatched in terms of efficiency.

Try to be more realistic, ask players to collect some mutagens in the derelicts doing whatever they want (including fun) and then watch who tries and who doesn't, i'm pretty sure you willhave a big chunk of players barely donating or not donating at all, all you need is to pay attention.

Edited by KIREEK

Alright. i'm about to shed some light on how my group of 4 people did it in a relatively short amount of time; you need Nekros with as much range an efficiency as possible, in that order. You need a Pilfering Hydroid. power and duration is nice. mostly the duration. charge his tentacles to full before release. you want a Nova that makes enemies go faster instead of slow. and you want an extra that you feel will help out best here. maybe Trinity.

The mission you're running is the Orokin Derelict Defense. You want Pilfering Swarm up in the path with the highest traffic. i generally place mine down next to the defense point towards the stairs leading down. Nekros is staying near here as well with his loot ability up, the health drops will keep everybody alive and help with energy. Speed Nova is keeping them coming and shortening the amount of time you're doing this by a lot. trust me on this. Trinity can help with health in energy if Nekros isn't quite cutting it.

Now let them come to you. don't go out on the edges and kill things there because you're bored. that lessons the number of drops in close visual and it lessens the number of enemies in Hydroid and nekros's AoE. If you're getting bored just take the opportunity to chat with the team with discord or over some other form of voice chat. If you guys can cooperate and do this right you'll be getting 60-100 per person in the mission, and that's without a booster. I did this with 4 people only while the number needed was 5k, you have 30 people. if you can get even 12 people to do this you guys should have it in 1-2 weeks assuming you guys are dedicated to it. less if you can get more in the clan on it.

Does it get boring? yes it does. but in my clan there was only ever 1 group doing this. but even with 4/10 people running the missions it still went by a hell of a lot faster than normal. All it took was cooperation, which is what DE probably wanted. Anywho, i hope this helps you guys out. The hema was a pain in the butt and it takes some getting used to, but it's still a mark of pride in my clan.

Hema research is a rather sensitive story. I was on hiatus when it happened so take my words with a truck of salt.

What I heard is that when DE released Hema they mistakenly added another zero to the requirement, making it tenfold that what it was supposed to be. Unfortunately they went on vacation for a few days after that so by the time they came back some 'hardworking' clans have already completed the research, and therefore they decided to leave the requirement as is on the basis that fixing it would be unfair for those clans.

Regardless whether the story is true or not, the best place for farming those samples is Orokin Derelict. Eris is much worse because over there the samples are considered rare resource (On par with neurodes, orokin cells, etc) while on derelict they are considered as uncommon resource. You can go with the suggestion provided by the guy above me, or you can go to Derelict Survival with full Nekros and slashing weapon and just go mayhem. I only do this when I happen to have both the yellow and blue boosters, and I average 70-100 samples per 20 min run solo. Would be a lot more if there is another Nekros because a single Nekros' Desecrate can't keep up with how fast infested corpses despawn.

I still don't have Hema, but I'm not in a rush. Just enjoy the game without focusing too much on a single thing.

1 hour ago, KIREEK said:

Back when you and your clanmates did sabotage on eris, did you often open the caches?

Back when you and your clanmates farmed for corrupted mods, how many mutagens did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates scanned kavats, How many mutagens did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates cleared the star map, how many mutagens did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates practiced the derelict missions like the sabotages, the defenses or the survivals (these sometimes have some cool drops), how many did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates did the derelict boss, how many did you collect?

Back when you and your clanmates did the weekly mission at maroo's bazar to gather a statue, you would sometimes be in a derelict mission, how many mutagens you guys got?

Back when you and your clanmates farmed the alad V nav coordinates, how many mutagens you guys got?

Back when you and your clanmates collected the cephalong fragments and the music fragments, how many mutagens did you guys get?

You get the idea, carefull when using the word "efficiecy" because if you run towards a vault and then extract and have a total of 2 kills, then you know exactly where are the missing mutagens you need, still in the derelicts

The game balances effort with time, the less effort you make, the more grind, the more time and the more missions you need, it's no suprise that players that kill 5 enemies in a capture will need a ton of more missions to even match someone who did 200 kills and destroyed crates along the way.

Again, carefull with the word efficiency, are you absolutely sure all your clanmates try to kill enemies to begin with? If so your clan is unmatched in terms of efficiency.

Try to be more realistic, ask players to collect some mutagens in the derelicts doing whatever they want (including fun) and then watch who tries and who doesn't, i'm pretty sure you willhave a big chunk of players barely donating or not donating at all, all you need is to pay attention.

I dont mean to offend but unless your killing a whole lot your not going to get a lot, I dont think it is even remotely possible to get 14 samples with 2 kills or anywhere close.

I was in derelict survival, which from my understanding is 2nd only to derelict defence in terms of the amount it drops but it was more so of a test run just to do some quick math.

1 hour ago, Sorenxoras said:

Alright. i'm about to shed some light on how my group of 4 people did it in a relatively short amount of time; you need Nekros with as much range an efficiency as possible, in that order. You need a Pilfering Hydroid. power and duration is nice. mostly the duration. charge his tentacles to full before release. you want a Nova that makes enemies go faster instead of slow. and you want an extra that you feel will help out best here. maybe Trinity.

The mission you're running is the Orokin Derelict Defense. You want Pilfering Swarm up in the path with the highest traffic. i generally place mine down next to the defense point towards the stairs leading down. Nekros is staying near here as well with his loot ability up, the health drops will keep everybody alive and help with energy. Speed Nova is keeping them coming and shortening the amount of time you're doing this by a lot. trust me on this. Trinity can help with health in energy if Nekros isn't quite cutting it.

Now let them come to you. don't go out on the edges and kill things there because you're bored. that lessons the number of drops in close visual and it lessens the number of enemies in Hydroid and nekros's AoE. If you're getting bored just take the opportunity to chat with the team with discord or over some other form of voice chat.

10/10 can confirm this is the way to go. My clan and I did this a couple of times, to 40/50 waves each time depending on how the run went. Resource boosters, double drop chance boosters. +-400 mutagen samples each, for each run. 

1 hour ago, BladeGrip said:

Hema research is a rather sensitive story. I was on hiatus when it happened so take my words with a truck of salt.

What I heard is that when DE released Hema they mistakenly added another zero to the requirement, making it tenfold that what it was supposed to be. Unfortunately they went on vacation for a few days after that so by the time they came back some 'hardworking' clans have already completed the research, and therefore they decided to leave the requirement as is on the basis that fixing it would be unfair for those clans.

Regardless whether the story is true or not, the best place for farming those samples is Orokin Derelict. Eris is much worse because over there the samples are considered rare resource (On par with neurodes, orokin cells, etc) while on derelict they are considered as uncommon resource. You can go with the suggestion provided by the guy above me, or you can go to Derelict Survival with full Nekros and slashing weapon and just go mayhem. I only do this when I happen to have both the yellow and blue boosters, and I average 70-100 samples per 20 min run solo. Would be a lot more if there is another Nekros because a single Nekros' Desecrate can't keep up with how fast infested corpses despawn.

I still don't have Hema, but I'm not in a rush. Just enjoy the game without focusing too much on a single thing.

Yeah I was running it in Derelict Survival.

But keep in mind normal clans. My clan atm is 22 people who were a splinter of an old clan that disbanded, so we dont really seek to expand too quick just yet especially without all research done. But average players wont and dont have both resource boosters and my run there was more of a test. I ran it 10 minutes with a double drop resource booster and a desecrate build and a melee with a 10m range to get 14. In my honest opinion I feel it would be better to compensate the clans that researched it already, boost the drop chance of mutagen mass, or make hema worth the grind besides the want to have a fully researched clan or max mastery.

5 minutes ago, ReddBeard said:

10/10 can confirm this is the way to go. My clan and I did this a couple of times, to 40/50 waves each time depending on how the run went. Resource boosters, double drop chance boosters. +-400 mutagen samples each, for each run. 

its over 800 in 40 waves (ODD) with kavat + boosters (efficient farm)

1 minute ago, GreatestWarrior said:

Smeeta Kavat with it's Charm Mod

Just now, HIGHDAMAGE said:

i tell u more :wink: hydro/nekros/banshee(sonar)/ev (might be optional) its important to let tentacles kill and loot wile u get the kavat buff

I generally steer clear of kavats/kubrow/helminth just due to personal preference (I love my precious carrier) 

I actually wasn't aware of this charm mod tbh. But I've looked it up now and it might be time to pull out the ol' smeeta 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, ReddBeard said:

I generally steer clear of kavats/kubrow/helminth just due to personal preference (I love my precious carrier) 

I actually wasn't aware of this charm mod tbh. But I've looked it up now and it might be time to pull out the ol' smeeta 

Thanks!

should be ~600 in 40 waves without kavat if u follow ^ team loadout

Edited by HIGHDAMAGE

50 minutes ago, PooPooPirate said:

I dont mean to offend but unless your killing a whole lot your not going to get a lot, I dont think it is even remotely possible to get 14 samples with 2 kills or anywhere close.

I was in derelict survival, which from my understanding is 2nd only to derelict defence in terms of the amount it drops but it was more so of a test run just to do some quick math.

Yes, but you don't go to the derelicts just for survival, your clanmates and you didn't start farming mutagens now, you started the moment your 1st mission on derelicts began (you can also gain some samples elsewhere but that's a suplement).

Every mission is profitable, provided the effort is there and yes, killing alot over the course of let's say 100 diversified missions should so the trick.

Edited by KIREEK

Just now, KIREEK said:

Yes, but you don't go to the derelicts just for survival, your clanmates and you didn't start farming mutagens now, you started the moment your 1st mission on derelicts began (you can also gain some samples elsewhere but that's a suplement).

Every mission is profitable, provided the effort is there and tes, killing a lot over the course of let's say 100 diversified missions should so the trick.

But it wont though
Mutagen sample is relatively rare/uncommon and drops at rates of 1, my early days of warframe I used to no life derelicts. If my test data is correct it would take roughly 1,225,000 kills in the derelict if you had no booster or nekros to get 15,000 mutagen samples. If using a double resource booster and nekros 390,000 killsfor that 15,000. 100 diversified missions wouldn't cut it unless your only diversifying between defence and survival missions and even then I don't believe it would really be feasible for most. I also don't have data on this but from my understanding or from here-say it is very rare to see a clan with Hema researched relatively speaking that is.

3 minutes ago, PooPooPirate said:

But it wont though
Mutagen sample is relatively rare/uncommon and drops at rates of 1, my early days of warframe I used to no life derelicts. If my test data is correct it would take roughly 1,225,000 kills in the derelict if you had no booster or nekros to get 15,000 mutagen samples. If using a double resource booster and nekros 390,000 killsfor that 15,000. 100 diversified missions wouldn't cut it unless your only diversifying between defence and survival missions and even then I don't believe it would really be feasible for most. I also don't have data on this but from my understanding or from here-say it is very rare to see a clan with Hema researched relatively speaking that is.

To add onto this I feel it would be fair to show the amount of kills I have obtained in the game at this point as someone who is MR17
cff338c39908623e0c3448cbec83222a.png

e8acd5fdcb17a0ac3e73da6a6b05d79a.png

Granted all my time in the game wasnt spent in combat and up until MR 12-14ish I was what I would consider a relative noob.

On 2018-05-30 at 5:07 AM, BladeGrip said:

It wasn't even an extra zero, it was INTENTIONAL.

This is so weird to me, When the hema came out, our shadow clan started building it instantly. My boyfriend and I split the mutagen sample cost between us, either could have paid it in full but we wanted to each have a sizeable stock left.

It's called derelict survival, nekros and hydroid or whatever or not. We grinded, we farmed. OMG the infested sentinel at the time, we were just starting out, we ground so hard, leveled up weapon after weapon. I never went to draco, once I think, and I didn't enjoy it tbh. People made me nervous at that time. Derelict was beautiful though. I think there were four of us for awhile, collecting the deliciously rare loot in derelict while we leveled up weapons and warframes. So tiny we could maybe last for 30 mins. It is a really great memory.

Working on the dyes now and not feeling that kind of participation, though some of the new members are too low to help alone. I'll get around to it. I was doing hardest to easiest, I didn't realize though just how hard wisp grey was going to be.

Sooo.... Just did a 44 minute run on derelict defense (35 waves solo) farming for the stupid Hema...

Hydroid prime with maxed out pilfering swarm. Resource Drop chance booster and resource boosters active. Brought a Smeeta kavat with maxed out charm.

Guess how much mutagen samples I got in 44 minutes.

11vkxao.png

yup thats right. 44. 1 per minute. 

The game is amazing, but mutagen sample drop rates are ridiculously broken... On avarage, I could farm approx 100 samples per 30 minute runs, but seems that there are runs where the game outright refuses to cooperate and it becomes extremely punishing.

I dont even want the Hema anymore... 😞

#Edit: To be fair, I just wanted to vent my frustration, and didn't want to create another post complaining about it, hence why I responded to the original thread. Rant now over. 

Edited by Zee_DeCoY

Very true. However I have been playing the game solo for some time; due to being on shift and on call, the pause option caters for my erratic time management. 

Still, spending money and time in maximising ones chances, that drop rate above is insulting and infuriating.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now passively farming mutagen while actively farming for pyrana relics.. The best thing to do to farm for hema is to farm for something else instead... It does wonders for your sanity... Also I bought Hema with plat so save the rest of my sanity but still need to finish my research completion so that it doesn't annoy me.. Also the only reason I came looking in this thread area was to look foe for something to say to remove a dabbing valkyr gif that was annoying me on the feedback area