The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(XB1/PS4) Virtual Cursor Feedback Megathread

[DE]Danielle

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Dragonborn_85 said:

Look, I understand that you're on PC and this is fine for you, but listen for one second. WE ARE ON CONSOLE. We are NOT a master race who can magically use the new UI with no effort. We use controllers for a reason. So yes, we are pissed off. We DO want DE to change it back. We HATE then new Cursor. You fail to realize that cause you are up on your high horse.

This had got nothing to do with me being on PC. It was the same when DE made console-focused changes to the UI in U14, and many PC users demanded a rollback or an option.

It didn't happen then and it won't happen now as Steve said over a month ago and Megan said 5h ago on twitter, reversal is not an option.

Either accept that and engage with the process of improving what you have or don't be involved with that process at all. Those are your options.

16 minutes ago, (PS4)doctor_em-15 said:

I will say though that from the first Twitter announcement of this new system, I and others were there saying it wouldn’t work and a virtual cursor was a terrible idea, specifically referring to Destiny and No Man’s Sky, which manage to be difficult to use even with UIs specifically designed for virtual cursors, not tiny ones designed for PC

That's your opinion, that's fine. many of the UI element will be changing completely soon anyway so maybe it will be a big improvement after that point. Either way, what we have now isn't going anywhere so specific ideas for improvement are the only feedback that is going to be used right now.

I have never really come to the forums before but I thought it was worthwhile to come for my first time to emphasize how bad this new cursor development is.

I was super excited for the new UI presented on the devstreams and stuff and maybe that will help things but right now it's taking nearly 3x as long to do anything in the menu and it's frustrating. When you play a game for 500 hours, muscle memory is a real issue - especially with a controller.

I get that "rolling it back" isn't an option but I tried to play with it and after two hours I got fed up with it and I'm going to play other games until it's fixed.

Some ideas that were already mentioned that would really help:

- Bring back the shortcuts. I get it. Unified UI cuts down on development. I'm not saying go backwards, but add functionality instead of removing it. Give the shortcuts to PC players too, I don't care. Just bring it back because even if Xbox got mouse support, it'll be hella annoying to use on my couch.
- Cursor should "snap" to position instead of moving from A to B.
- Fix navigation. I set my right thumbstick to be super sensitive for gameplay but that means it's nearly impossible to navigate the star chart and find what I'm looking for without zooming in and out a dozen times. Even if I just wanted to select a mission, before I could just press RB and scroll through. Now I can't do that anymore because...?
- Let us rotate things again.
- Double-clicking is not a thing on console anywhere. Why should I ever press a button twice? It's bad enough that I have to press two buttons to use my abilities but to move my cursor to an item and press A should be all I have to do. Why should I press A in rapid succession? For anything?

I know many have already said these things but here's how I feel (and I suspect others agree):
New options and ways of doing things are great as long as the old ways of doing things are still there.

54 minutes ago, (PS4)JusteKevin said:

Simple option make this UI appear only when you're using M&K guys stop thinking to much the way to fix that is pretty simple just give them that feedback and it'll be all good 😉

Yes, I actually agree with you. I do like this new UI, apart from the clunkiness. I want to mainly play with my controller, but still have a great time when I plug in my Mouse and Keyboard. So a toggle, or as you said a tool that makes it active when plugging in M&Kb, would be optimal.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)NachoZissou said:

Worth bearing in mind that was said before the universal outpouring of strong dislike for it.  

It's not. The PC controller crowd were mostly against it as well.

14 minutes ago, (PS4)NachoZissou said:

DE would be foolish not to listen to feedback when it's as adamant and unanimous as this is, regardless of what they have said in the past. 

Also it's far from unanimous in this very thread. and I'm pretty certain that all their soot-to-be released content requires this UI change, so, it's just not an available option, regardless of a subset of this forum's opinion.

DE well be able to see their play stats I doubt there will be significant impact.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

Yes, I actually agree with you. I do like this new UI, apart from the clunkiness. I want to mainly play with my controller, but still have a great time when I plug in my Mouse and Keyboard. So a toggle, or as you said a tool that makes it active when plugging in M&Kb, would be optimal.

DE Steve made it clear that a toggle wasn't an option over a month ago.

1 minute ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

The M&K side has issues too. The lack of key bindings and any object shows the controller buttons is one. I don't even know what half my buttons do when I have M&K on because you can't see or customize the keyboard.

22 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

Yeah but ZOS produce content a a pitiful rate for ESO compared to DE and you have to pay for the base game and expansions.

If the controller change and UI updates weren't a requirement for The Sacrifice and Venus then I'll bet DE would take a little longer.

Remember PC users are used to these jarring changes. I'll bet, in a week or so you'll probably have dpad nav support and some button mappings and it will be perfectly usable. In the meantime, I suggest feeding bad specific pain points rather than calling for something that won't happen (a rollback or a point-by-point replication of the previous state) Both Steve and Megan have said this is not getting a "switch" or reverted, this is it.

A rollback doesn't hurt future productivity, it just gives DE more time to make the cursor UI intuitive with a controller. It would honestly be a win-win at this point as DE gets more time and plenty of feedback to use to improve the current system and the players don't have to struggle with it until Sacrifice goes live on consoles in July (no way thy make the June deadline on console).

Again, the current system can work but it needs way more refinement and quality fixes for it to be valid on consoles. Having a few more weeks will give them this time and if that means pushing back Sacrifice then so be it. I'd rather see a longer delay between content if it means not having to suffer through a poorly implemented UI.

Yes, the end goal is the same but sometimes you need to make the customer happy while you work behind the scenes. At this point the cursor UI just isn't ready for consoles; it will definitely work in the future but having to force it out now (even if it means getting Sacrifice and Venus faster) will cause significant problems for both console communities.

Short of a rollback, DE needs to give console players button shortcuts ASAP. This needs to go into cert this week if it requires a full patch; it's just too important to wait and bundle it with Sacrifice.

il y a 26 minutes, (PS4)FernandoGo_D a dit :

It's not salty, it's simple. This dosen't work with a F* controller. "oh they the only problem is that S#&$ should appear with K&M" but it don't, is that and there is no way to remove, Good thing that they are thinking in CP, but make a PC UI in a f* console is not. is a terrible idea, and i bet you cannot name a single game that works good this way with a console.

The idea is good, execution is really bad to a point where a lot of people is questionong if they do test this on consoles, because if they do and think that a PC UI in a console is a good thing they are doing drugs.

Ok so I'll name Warthunder, Paragon and Fortnite that's 3 games that work good this way, they all have a native controller UI and a M&K UI when you plug M&K on your PS4 and nobody complain about it 😉

I wish I kept up with the future updates more, I would have thrown my voice in on how a cursor for console is a really poor choice. after giving it an actual shot, I despise it after like 30 seconds of use. were there that many people asking for this feature? the cursor is fine for some things (navigating the solar system map) but navigating the arsenal and foundry is ridiculous, just why? a poor UI is enough to get people to play other games. watching the chat windows for more than 30 seconds suggests destiny 2 just got a bump in their player base. so as for constructive criticism, wait a week, then push another update dropping it or include a disable option. having been a lifelong gamer, odds are we will be stuck with this but a guy can try. overwatch and D2 are actually competitive now for their pve, sigh

the people that are like "yea this is fine"...please look up "everything is fine meme" on google

• Like 1

So, just so y'all know...there IS a setting in Controls for "UI Cursor Sensitivity".  I suggest you check it out.  Moves faster if you turn it up a few notches.

I would like it as a togglable option, but I figure DE is trying to bring PC and Console versions closer together so there's less to change between builds, and they'll roll out easier (and faster!)  Heck, might even have to do with the Sacrifice and stuff we'll be needing to use it for.  Who knows.

That being said, core gameplay remains the same so it's really not that bad.  

The PS4 UI update it horrible. Moding is down right time consuming. The star chart is a pain in the behind to get around, It's not efficient at all. The old UI was effective and easy to use. The new design is cool, but you can tell it was meant for the PC version not PS4.

And one more thing. I watch a Mr 2 & 3 struggle with the relic system because they didn't know what to do with the cursor system.

06/06/2018

#NotMyUI is a joke the region chat on PS4 made up.

Edited by (PS4)starwolf2015
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, SilentMobius said:

DE Steve made it clear that a toggle wasn't an option over a month ago.

Well, leaving things as they are, clunkiness and all, isn't the way to go either. I don't want to have my gameplay affected, unintuitive and sluggish because some people want to use a controller on pc, or some console players want to use M&Kb. Otherwise all fine by me, I could even get a M&Kb to use myself, just not as my main control source.

1 minute ago, (PS4)JusteKevin said:

Ok so I'll name Warthunder, Paragon and Fortnite that's 3 games that work good this way, they all have a native controller UI and a M&K UI when you plug M&K on your PS4 and nobody complain about it 😉

Ye, except they do work with controller only with triangle square and S#&$, and dont require a F* K&M to function properly.

Give me a console game with controller based, that has a PC UI that works good. you cant name it.

All this games has controllers functions on them, and IF, a big f* IF you plug a Keyboard, it changes and works..

thats not the case, the case is, they removed controller comands and add PC commands, and that don't f* work

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

A rollback doesn't hurt future productivity, it just gives DE more time to make the cursor UI intuitive with a controller.

It really does and Megan made it clear that's not happening 5 hours ago on twitter. 

12 minutes ago, (PS4)Hiero_Glyph said:

DE needs to give console players button shortcuts ASAP

This is almost useful feedback. Which specific shortcuts are the most important ones? Because replicating every button hack from the old UI scheme isn't going to happen.

Edited by SilentMobius

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Pauloluisx said:

Well, leaving things as they are, clunkiness and all, isn't the way to go either. I don't want to have my gameplay affected, unintuitive and sluggish because some people want to use a controller on pc, or some console players want to use M&Kb. Otherwise all fine by me, I could even get a M&Kb to use myself, just not as my main control source.

That's not why this is happening, it's happening because all UI-interface work was a mess of special cases, this provides clean systemic code from DE to work on new UI elements quickly (Like those needed for the Sacrifice and Venus)

This is getting more and more frustrating as I use it. Why is there zoom but no pan on mission select, with no D-pad support on the menus and only a clunky multifunctional joystick of sadness to guide me through bounties and the like? I'm actively getting angry about this now. This is insane.

• Like 1

Not on PS4, as I found all very intuitive and fast. I understand these changes, and I do hope they improve them to become swifter and intuitive. And as for what Steve said 1 month ago, well, that applied to PC. I love the man, and to be honest I do believe that either a rollback happens for both PC and consoles or none of the systems, to keep everything equal. 

However, if they change the UI on PC to be able to use controllers better, and players don't like it, they still have their Mouse and Keyboard to fall back to. As for consoles this change is good for M&Kb users (tried it, works wonderfully apart from controllers) but if a user doesn't like it, as many complained they have no other choice to forfeit controllers and adapt to M&Kb, something unthinkable for several reasons on a console.

And no, no rollbacks by me. I like this update. As long as it's polished and we get a swift controller-based system I won't mind, and I'll happily become a hybrid user.

So.. this update made me come to the forums to share my voice..

Worst... decision... ever...

It feels like a forced downgrade.. step back.. what have you..

It's really clumsy to use.. everything takes so much longer.. 

The removal of the quick menu buttons (square, triangle)

The drag and drop in the mod menu..

I hope DE will give us the option to toggle this stuff on / off..

Or just roll back these UI changes..

• Like 2