Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Starter Frames

Gravehearts

Question

So i just started playing this weekend and loving the game so far. A small problem i'm starting to see is seeing what i should be going for. I just got excalibur to lvl 30 and looking to get a new one to slowly work on mastery rank and the best suggestion i see is usually rhino. The problem is that some of the required mats are way later in the story.

What i was wondering is that is there maybe better starter options out there or just keep excalibur for now and just focus on unlocking star chart for now?

15 answers to this question

Excalibur is a good starter, but your'e going to want a full set of warframes. Good starters I would recommend are Frost, Rhino, Loki or Ash, and Nova or Banshee, also try a Volt.

These are all relatively easy to get, and very useful/powerful as you modify them.

Edited by Canach

Excalibur is a very versatile frame and will get you through the star chart pretty easily but Rhino isn't hard to farm and is pretty useful even in high level missions, I can't remember what are the materials required to build him but just progress through a few planets and loot everything you see and you won't have much problems with resources

I would suggest formaing before moving on to other frames, mostly for the health and armor mods, e.g; Vitality and Steel Fiber, it'll help boost your survivability and make room for more mods. It'll save a lot time, than formaing later when you realize you can't fit any, or all, of your fully ranked mods. I'd suggest the same for weapons.

@Gravehearts

Edited by TaurusDeRoma

If you really need a reliable frame to take you through the star chart, I say Rhino. It doesn’t really take much resources to get him, the only rare stuff you need is some morphics and one control module and gallium which you can get from Mars.

Its best if you ask for help (in clans and if you are not in a clan you should, but hey its up to you) since there are a lot of people that will be willing to help you get Rhino, especially for farming his part blueprints. The community is nice Tenno, don’t hesitate to ask for help!

Edited by (PS4)KyleXY12345

What rank are you and what weapons are you using?

I would focus on low level resource farming, unlocking the starchart, and collecting Endo for the limited mods you have.

Try and make the most of excals exaulted blade. Look on youtube for build ideas.

Have you bought and mastered all the MK-1 weapons that cost credits?

Good idea to get your MR up as it can allow you to trade for basics early on.

Have you used the FREESWORD code?

Checked Humble or Twitch Prime?

I found Frost to be a great frame early on, Rhino not too bad too but found Frost more versatile.

Not long after I had some Mods and a half baked lvl 30 Frost potatoed, I farmed relics to trade prime parts for ducats abd bought the Sands Of Inaros quest from baro kteer. Inaros has been my favorite frame since.

Though a potatoed and forma'd Excalibur with an exaulted blade build is very capable.

well i'm currently mastery rank 3 and finally managed to get the parts for rhino so currently building him. i started with bow/kunai and sword and they are all maxed so currently leveling boltor rifle, furis pistol and cronus sword.  

The thing im worried is that most frames has prime forms. is it really worth it using forma early on or just keep em for later frames. Early game credit and endo farming is slow so my mods arent that high yet but i did notice that when leveling a few up i cant use many mods afterwards which could make it worth it.

I will prob try making all the basic weapons as u suggested to lvl up mastery.

the only questions i got from getting these answers is twitch prime worth it for this game or if i wanna spend money just buy plat if i ever need it and where do u put in codes like FREESWORD?

PS Thank you all for the quick and useful answers 😛

2 hours ago, Gravehearts said:

is it really worth it using forma early on

I guess as long as you're not really having trouble with your gear's performance, save those Forma / Reactors / Catalysts
(BTW, using Forma should IMO be the step after using a Reactor / Catalyst).

i did notice that when leveling a few up i cant use many mods afterwards

It's still better to use a few, well-ranked Mods rather than just filling all slots with weaksauce stuff.

FWIW, you could have additional copies of Mods (lol even more Endo / Credits usage)
ranked up only a bit, to use as gap fillers / during the leveling process.

is twitch prime worth it for this game or if i wanna spend money just buy plat

If you never did the free (30 days IIRC) Twitch Prime trial, you can just use that and, after nabbing Lobster Prime and whatnot, simply cancel.
[That said, Trin P, while nice to have, is quite cheap to buy now so you might want to save your free trial for a better deal later on, dunno.]

The "best value" option for Plat would be Prime Access, though a smaller purchase for e.g. a Color Palette early on definitely can make a difference.

Mind you, Trading exists, and is a way to get (among other things) Platinum without having to use real money.
E.g. Corrupted Mods from Derelict Vault runs, Auras from Alerts, and certainly not least Prime parts from Void Fissures are commonly traded,
check e.g. warframe.market for a rough idea of what a fair price would entail, if you think you might have (a spare of) something worth selling.

where do u put in codes like FREESWORD?

Either right here

https://www.warframe.com/promocode?code=FREESWORD

or in-game, there's an option in the Market IIRC.

Edited by NinjaZeku

Rino is good for new players because you do not need mods for the basic tank, different to utilizing a channeled ability like exalted blade effective without burning all your energy.  

Both Rino and Excalibur are very good if you have most of the Basic mods. You can also get Ember fairly early, what is a very good frame for farming stuff and also to level weapons, given that just adding a heat mod and pressing 2 makes nearly every weapon deal high damage even at low ranks that prevent you from using other mods. 

I'd honestly say rhino lol, he's useful far into the game and i still use it for certain things. Index for example, iron skin.

You can make everything personalized with mods. Good warframes besides Rhino, Pff.. Gara although bit tedious to get because of the gems etc. Only "starter" i can think of rn. unless you do quests and get chroma

1 hour ago, IAmPandaEternal said:

unless you do quests and get chroma

Chroma need saryn parts... From Sedna, which is one of the last planets.

Rhino is a very good starter choice, and if you have access to dojo research, Nezha is fun to play. And he doesn't take a lot of resources to craft. You also get Volt from the dojo. Get Frost as soon as you can: it's been my fav frame from the moment I got him. You get him on Ceres.

Put a catalyst on your fav frame, but wait before you put too many formas. Forma is for high-drain mods, but until you get farther in the game, you'll end up with polarities that are meh, and you'll have to change them or cook a new frame. I've put 4 forma on a frost that I ended up scrapping because the polarities didn't fit the best mods I found later on. But heh, experiment and find a balance between the mods you have now and the mods you'll get later on. And remember, wiki is your friend :)

4 minutes ago, tprx said:

Chroma need saryn parts... From Sedna, which is one of the last planets.

Rhino is a very good starter choice, and if you have access to dojo research, Nezha is fun to play. And he doesn't take a lot of resources to craft. You also get Volt from the dojo. Get Frost as soon as you can: it's been my fav frame from the moment I got him. You get him on Ceres.

Put a catalyst on your fav frame, but wait before you put too many formas. Forma is for high-drain mods, but until you get farther in the game, you'll end up with polarities that are meh, and you'll have to change them or cook a new frame. I've put 4 forma on a frost that I ended up scrapping because the polarities didn't fit the best mods I found later on. But heh, experiment and find a balance between the mods you have now and the mods you'll get later on. And remember, wiki is your friend 🙂

Right i completely forgot about that needing other frame parts x) scratch that then! but yeah what this guy said sums it all up pretty good