The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Let Offenders Know How Long They're Suspended

PlsDoNotNerf

Recently I've been suspended from in-game chat, and it is very annoying that I don't know how long my suspension is. In other games, offenders know how long their suspension lasts, if at all. I think that Warframe should also implement this and not leave players clueless when they break the rules. At least tell me how long I'll be out from the different channels instead of making me guess, devs. This can be implemented by using a timer in the chat window. Instead of just displaying a message that says "Your access to in-game chat has been suspended", it can be more like "Your access to in-game chat is suspended for X minutes/days/hours/years". 

I agree, it would be nice if players were told what they were banned for, how long, and where to go about it. Transparency on rules and regulations is healthy to inform users. Most suspensions end up on the forums because of how vague the system is. Here you go:

Your ban should last 7 days at most. If it lasts any longer, contact support and work it out.

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Edited by --Q--Voltage

Chat moderators should be messaging users when they are banned and should be informing you how long you are banned for and why you were removed.

Also the guidelines for chat are stated when you first open the chat window along with the following guidelines, which can be found here: https://forums.warframe.com/guidelines/

"The Guidelines can extend to in-game activity and any other official Warframe platform."

Post by [DE]Rebecca on chat moderation:  https://forums.warframe.com/topic/958862-word-filter-is-abysmal/?do=findComment&comment=9789653

Note: this isn't a thread asking for a reverse on a ban. This a thread discussing chat auto-bans, and why it is doing more harm than good

My first 1-week ban was for using the word "gay" in a normal (non-insulting) sentence. Support didn't do anything, so I waited it out. Now I don't say that word ever (even though I am gay). Then I just got banned again for saying "FU kickbot" when kickbot banned a new user for apparently asking too many questions, as if kickbot had feelings or that earlier kick was fair in any way.

In neither of those instances did I harass another player. I spend my time in region chat helping players. So it's more than a little ironic. Neither am I racist, sexist, homophobic, or in any way bigoted, so I'm not exactly the target offender these auto-bans were supposed to scare away in the first place. Not to mention, mistaken posts in region chat (like WTS, LF etc.), or leaving the caps lock on, or the aforementioned asking too many questions, get the same treatment. Kickbot immediately assumes you're a nefarious criminal and need to be silenced for breaking his secret laws.Which means some new player is always getting banned in chat every few minutes or so, most of them with no idea why.

It would have been fine if it was only a region chat ban. But it affects everything. You can't join radshares, can't trade, can't talk to clanmates, can't coordinate with squad.

And the worst thing is you don't even know which word combinations trigger those bans. Sometimes some words seem perfectly fine, then in another sentence you get banned with no warning or explanation. The "see code of conduct" response is unhelpful. There is nothing on the code of conduct that specifically identifies which words or actions are bannable. There were courtesy warnings before (like when using the word "cancer"), but now it's almost always a surprise banhammer. I'm not even sure why they added a filter profanity option when apparently all profanities are immediately bannable offenses.

The censorship is increasingly becoming actively hostile. The goal now doesn't seem to be stopping toxic interaction anymore. It seems to be more focused on punishing players, even when unwarranted. A "gotcha! you're banned!" thing. Which in itself, is ironically toxic. And it's ruining the game to the point that I don't even want to answer questions by new players in chat anymore. Or play for that matter.

P.S. I'm aware this is the millionth thread on it. Which makes me the millionth person to seriously consider quitting the game for good. if that is the point of these automatic surprise bans, then it's working great. But I'm pretty sure it's not.

Edited by ObsidianSun

1 hour ago, NovusNova said:

Chat moderators should be messaging users when they are banned and should be informing you how long you are banned for and why you were removed.

Also the guidelines for chat are stated when you first open the chat window along with the following guidelines, which can be found here: https://forums.warframe.com/guidelines/

"The Guidelines can extend to in-game activity and any other official Warframe platform."

Post by [DE]Rebecca on chat moderation:  https://forums.warframe.com/topic/958862-word-filter-is-abysmal/?do=findComment&comment=9789653

That's forums, not in game

Frankly, no one cares at this point.

If you want to quit the game, just quit it. Don't go on the forums like a 12 year old screaming "If you don't do as I say and make the changes I want, I'm going to quit your game". Absolutely nothing will be achieved by that.

Just now, (XB1)Shodian said:

""The Guidelines can extend to in-game activity and any other official Warframe platform.""

Well if you want to nitpick Novus also said the chat mods will tell you why you were suspended.. 

A. They don't do that in-game, thus why these threads exist 

B. They can't contact you in-game, no one can contact you in-game, not even your clan mates. 

4 minutes ago, Sibernetika said:

Well if you want to nitpick Novus also said the chat mods will tell you why you were suspended.. 

A. They don't do that in-game, thus why these threads exist 

Because most of the time the bot is the one that suspends people. Not moderators. This is something they are looking into.

1 hour ago, NovusNova said:

Mods may, bots do not.

14 minutes ago, ObsidianSun said:

Nothing will change on this ever.

It's been a longstanding issue and one that DE simply does not care about. They've talked about improving it, but there's been no action.

They'd rather censor and instaban instead of just giving people the ability to block words that only they themselves find offensive while the rest of the world does not. They'd rather give snarky comments instead of trying to see anything beyond their point of view and create a system that actually works as that would take effort.

57 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Frankly, no one cares at this point.

If you want to quit the game, just quit it. Don't go on the forums like a 12 year old screaming "If you don't do as I say and make the changes I want, I'm going to quit your game". Absolutely nothing will be achieved by that.

Where in my post did you get that idea?

I love the game, and I don't want it to die.

But I'm at a point where something so simple is becoming so ridiculously oppressive that I don't want to play anymore for fear of triggering a seemingly arbitrary mechanic that in turn makes your game unplayable. And from how many posts about this that have been made, I'm not the only one who feels that way. Think of how this affects player retention, and how many have just left because of this without posting here.

This is feedback. What the forums are for.

If talking about this really won't achieve anything and every discussion about this is regarded as "12 year old screaming", then maybe I will indeed do that. Nothing kills a game faster than ignoring player feedback.

Also, why was this thread merged into a topic that's not even talking about the same thing? I'm not asking for a message showing how long will I be banned for. I'm asking for greater clarity into WHAT can get you banned, and a far less hostile way of dealing with it. e.g. Warnings with explanations, remove the offending line, but only ban when offender repeats after warning, etc. You know, the same way it's done in other games.

Neither am I talking about mod bans. I'm talking about BOT bans. Mods explain what you did wrong and are usually justified. Bots don't and are usually not justified. It is broken, and it's broken severely.

Edited by ObsidianSun

Alternative to all the banning...... why not just update the chat client to give a "Message never sent due to use of (insert offensive content)" and then ban people who actively try to circumvent the chat pre-filters? 

I mean by all means people who get banned should be given basic information like the reason for the ban and the length of the ban. 

Edited by Oreades

45 minutes ago, Sean said:

Nothing will change on this ever.

It's been a longstanding issue and one that DE simply does not care about. They've talked about improving it, but there's been no action.

They'd rather censor and instaban instead of just giving people the ability to block words that only they themselves find offensive while the rest of the world does not. They'd rather give snarky comments instead of trying to see anything beyond their point of view and create a system that actually works as that would take effort.

They already have all the tools to make it better. I've mentioned the "cancer" example, where the bot actually explained why it's disrespectful and why I shouldn't use the word that way. Is it really that hard to extend this to everything else?

But if that's true then oh well. I tried.

4 minutes ago, Oreades said:

Alternative to all the banning...... why not just update the chat client to give a "Message never sent due to use of (insert offensive content)" and then ban people who actively try to circumvent the chat pre-filters? 

I mean by all means people who get banned should be given basic information like the reason for the ban and the length of the ban. 

This as well seems like a far simpler solution that avoids all the problems for false positives. Chat can remain as squeaky clean as they like, without alienating people who weren't intentionally being A******s.

I think if being banned for stupid crap like a few capital letters in a row is what gets you banned (and it is) there needs to be an option to not be automatically switched from squad chat to things like relay or region when things change. The forced chat window switching is an idiotic problem to begin with, having it be the grounds for a kick/ban is beyond well beyond idiotic. The only thing I have been banned for is what I have just described, and its happened enough that I simply turn off the offending channels; trade, region and recruiting. If I could kill off relay and aliance I would, but that's not an option.

9 minutes ago, ObsidianSun said:

This is feedback. What the forums are for.

I mean, the section of the forum called "Feedback" is for feedback. This is the community's General Discussion section. Which is for the community to have discussions. DE staff don't read posts here.

3 minutes ago, rune_me said:

I mean, the section of the forum called "Feedback" is for feedback. This is the community's General Discussion section. Which is for the community to have discussions. DE staff don't read posts here.

This is sort of at the top of the list of things receiving a lot of attention, they ought to be reading this stuff.

EDIT: Actually Im not clear on that, I just had a look at the main page where I saw this in the first place, I might be wrong about where I first spotted it.

Edited by MealeaYing
Not sure of accuracy

Just now, rune_me said:

It is in feedback now. It's been merged apparently.

My mistake in posting this originally in General Discussion. Either way, my forum navigation skills is irrelevant. This is feedback.

2 minutes ago, ObsidianSun said:

It is in feedback now. It's been merged apparently.

My mistake in posting this originally in General Discussion. Either way, my forum navigation skills is irrelevant. This is feedback.

Ah, and my mistake also for not noticing the merging. Carry on, then.