The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soma Prime buff (seriously...)

(PSN)skygrasper_47

I've just tried the Soma Prime a couple of days ago, and holy cow, It barely has any improvements over the regular Soma. At the moment it's just being eaten alive by the Prisma Grakata (#GrineerMasterRace represent). I'd like to suggest the following adjustments:

- increase Base Damage from 12.0 to 16.0 (Impact 2.2, Puncture 5.8, Slash 8.0)

- increase Status Chance from 10% to 15%

- increase Mastery Rank requirement from 7 to 10 or 11 (in accordance with the buffs stated above)

EDIT: May I just add, with regards to Tenno weapons, the regular Soma and Braton are quite a few leagues apart, with the Soma being superior. I believe this should also be the case with their Prime counterparts.

Edited by (PS4)skygrasper_550--

12 minutes ago, (PS4)skygrasper_550-- said:

nope, regular Soma and Soma Prime both have the exact same crit chance (30%) and crit multiplier (3.0x). 

Hmmmm Interesting! The only difference between Prime and standard is prime has 100 more bullets in the magazine(good)and 3% extra status chance(not that good). Sounds like you have some reasonable requests to me

Boltor Prime- Boltor standard

50 accuracy- 25 accuracy 

12% crit chance- 10% crit

2.0 crit multiplier- 1.8 crit multiplier

10 Fire rate- 8.75

2.4 reload- 2.6 

34% status chance- 14% status chance

41.4 puncture- 20 puncture

4.6 impact- 2.5 impact

0 slash - 2.5 slash

Seems to me that Boltor Prime has many more buffs compared to Boltor than Soma Prime does to Soma. Perhaps it does need a slight buff but then again Soma P is a crit weapon whereas Boltor P is not

Edited by (XB1)BigLithuanian

2 minutes ago, (XB1)BigLithuanian said:

Hmmmm Interesting!

the crit stats are fine, it just needs more raw damage. Personally it feels weak as a Prime weapon.

To put things into perspective, the regular Soma is better than the regular Braton, but the Braton Prime is better than the Soma Prime (wut)

5 minutes ago, (PS4)skygrasper_550-- said:

- increase Status Chance from 10% to 15%

You realize that jumps to a whopping 75% with Point Strike slotted, right? Also, that 3x crit multiplier jumps to 6x with Vital Sense and up to 8.4x with Hammershot.

No. It does NOT need a buff.

26 minutes ago, MirageKnight said:

You realize that jumps to a whopping 75% with Point Strike slotted, right? Also, that 3x crit multiplier jumps to 6x with Vital Sense and up to 8.4x with Hammershot.

Yes, I'm well aware of that. I know the essential crit mods for crit weapons like the Soma Prime, Prisma Grakata, Prisma Gorgon etc.

I also suggested raising its MR requirement to go along with the buffs I suggested.

I gotta say i sadly agree with him, the only thing what keeps the soma floating is the hunter munitions and even with that the weapon slowly becomes a questionable investment.

Its low base damage is what keeps it back along with the low status. If it would atleast have a mod similar to the supra one it would be great.

Edited by Fallen_Echo

Soma P just needs 40% Crit Chance and 16 base damage. If they slash the magazine to 150 or even 100 and give that damage potential increase I'd be fine.

Right now it just feels like a poor man's Prisma Gorgon.

11 hours ago, MirageKnight said:

What does a status chance increase have to do with a crit chance and damage mods? Dude wat

Just because the soma prime used to be one of the default "good" weapons doesn't mean it always will be.

That said it's still really quite good, the lack of noticeable spool up time is significant, as well as the massively increased magazine size.

Plus the overall fact that it can shred sortie level enemies when modded correctly, it's fine.

1 hour ago, MalDrive said:

Just because the soma prime used to be one of the default "good" weapons doesn't mean it always will be.

That said it's still really quite good, the lack of noticeable spool up time is significant, as well as the massively increased magazine size.

Plus the overall fact that it can shred sortie level enemies when modded correctly, it's fine.

Supra vandal outperforms it.

On 2018-07-23 at 9:03 PM, xXDeadsinxX said:

Why does the Soma Prime need a buff? It’s still a powerhouse of a weapon and it doesn’t a buff anyways, it’s perfectly fine as is.

its not a powerhouse 

low damage

ammo inefficient

slow reload

even hunter munition cant make the weapon viable unless youre talking about level 20s on regular missions anything is possible in there 

I guess it... probably doesn't NEED a buff, but it also wouldn't hurt much if it got one. At one point in time it was THE super popular meta assault rifle, and it has not gotten weaker since then, nor have enemies gotten tougher. All that's really happened is that... now there are a lot of guns that are supposedly just better. If it was brought closer to the things that power creeped IT, the ceiling wouldn't really get any higher in general, but... it also worked fine before for everything rational and still would even without another change.

edit: though now that it's deliberately weaker than a bunch of other bullet hoses, it could probably survive a disposition change whenever those actually happen again.

Edited by OvisCaedo

2 hours ago, OvisCaedo said:

I guess it... probably doesn't NEED a buff, but it also wouldn't hurt much if it got one. At one point in time it was THE super popular meta assault rifle, and it has not gotten weaker since then, nor have enemies gotten tougher. All that's really happened is that... now there are a lot of guns that are supposedly just better. If it was brought closer to the things that power creeped IT, the ceiling wouldn't really get any higher in general, but... it also worked fine before for everything rational and still would even without another change.

edit: though now that it's deliberately weaker than a bunch of other bullet hoses, it could probably survive a disposition change whenever those actually happen again.

Yeah I think the crux of the matter is that many people got used to the Soma (Prime) being an optimal weapon, and are now upset that other weapons outclass it.

Honestly I think it's healthy for weapon meta to shift here and there and there not just always be one optimal choice.

The soma has always been ammo inefficient even when people treated it as the go-to primary. It's always had decent crit stats, and still does. People who act like it's not good enough against anything more than level 20 enemies must play the game only using a small handful of meta weapons and treating anything else as MR fodder I guess. Which like, you do you, but that just seems like such a soulless way to play a game that's not even a competitive game.

The issue is almost entirely down to status chance. The acceptable standard of status/crit to mastery rank ratio has simply gone up since the gun balance overhaul, and the amount of weapons with high amounts of both is ever growing. Very few weapons can survive on just damage (crit is just a better application of raw damage), and giving it more crit would just slightly extend the range that it gets outscaled, the utilities provided by status chance are pretty much how you get around the absurd scaling in Warframe.

Wouldn't even need a huge buff either, 14-15% would be fine.

Edited by rapt0rman

9 hours ago, dodyouserious said:

its not a powerhouse

modded correctly it can shred lvl 40 - 60 enemies, which makes it viable for bounties and even sorties.

low damage

have you tried using crit mods on it?

ammo inefficient

ehhh somewhat. Can be remedied with bringing Carrier along with you.

slow reload

for a fully-automatic rifle that has 200 rounds in its magazine? a 3-second reload time is perfectly acceptable.

even hunter munition cant make the weapon viable unless youre talking about level 20s on regular missions anything is possible in there 

try using Hammer Shot, that should make the gun much better.

5 hours ago, rapt0rman said:

The issue is almost entirely down to status chance. The acceptable standard of status/crit to mastery rank ratio has simply gone up since the gun balance overhaul, and the amount of weapons with high amounts of both is ever growing. Very few weapons can survive on just damage (crit is just a better application of raw damage), and giving it more crit would just slightly extend the range that it gets outscaled, the utilities provided by status chance are pretty much how you get around the absurd scaling in Warframe.

Wouldn't even need a huge buff either, 14-15% would be fine.

I'm just surprised the Soma Prime doesn't have a significant improvement over its regular counterpart. Prime weapons should always exhibit that certain type of quality, and I'm just not feeling it with the Soma Prime. 

Yeah that's exactly what I suggested, 15% status chance. That's already double than what the regular Soma has. Of course DE will have to raise its MR requirement to go along with that. I won't mind a bump in damage as well.