The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lore question: Can frames speak?

Well, not the frames themselves. More the Tenno through the frame. Like, whenever the operator speaks it's in a little com window, even if it's just to themself. So... can they speak through a frame? The frames themselves often don't seem to have mouths. Umbra has some level of sapience but can't speak for himself. So logic would suggest they can't. But that... Seems pretty awkward.

I ask primarily because we -do- interact with people in our frames. On Cetus. In the relays. These people talk to us, some of them probably aren't carrying around futuristic cell phones for us to call them up on. Are our frames just standing around wordlessly like a bunch of idiots while people monologue at them?

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Axel_GrimReaper said:

they are mind controlled by the tenno the tenno speak for them...

Not what I'm asking. Not asking of the tenno speak for the frames but whether they can speak THROUGH the frames. Like if you're in Excalibur can't you walk up to Konzu and say, "Hi! How ya doin'?" Or do you just always have to call people up on your space phone or stare at them silently like an idiot.

For the most part, no. Warframes are not meant to have a will themselves and thus are incapable of normal speech. Umbra mostly just seems to focus on vocalizing his anger in roars but doesn't have words. Saryn and valkyr also have vocalizations but don't converse. Tenno are capable of speaking through a warframe though, at least to the extent that npc can understand what we are saying. It is possible that warframes like Umbra, but that have greater powers of communication might exist in the future. Mind though, infested organisms usually seem to communicate through a form of telepathy.

We can speak THROUGH our Warframes , as we did in ;

• TWW - where we see Teshin infront of pods and speak with him.
  • TS - where we return to Earth and speak with Ballas.

Guess that applies to dialogues between us and NPCs too , don't think we stare at them like idiots :D

Edited by Aeon94

2 minutes ago, Aeon94 said:

Guess that applies to dialogues between us and NPCs too , don't think we stare at them like idiots 😄

Good examples

4 minutes ago, Aeon94 said:

Guess that applies to dialogues between us and NPCs , don't think we stare them like idiots 😄

Yeah what he said. 

20 minutes ago, Aeon94 said:

Guess that applies to dialogues between us and NPCs too , don't think we stare at them like idiots 😄

It's been awhile since TWW but don't we speak to Teshin via space phone? And in TS don't we speak to Ballas while using Transference, and thus outside of the frame using our own mouths?

3 minutes ago, (XB1)HAPPYHapyJ0YJoy said:

It's been awhile since TWW but don't we speak to Teshin via space phone? And in TS don't we speak to Ballas while using Transference, and thus outside of the frame using our own mouths?

I recommend watching / replaying those quests again , you will see us speaking through our warframe / umbra.

If we're talking about just the frame's themselves, I don't think so. Umbra seems to have the cognitive capacity to speak (he can still play Komi and use complex tools) and has vocal chords as shown by us talking through him and... well, his screaming. But something seems to be preventing him from talking himself. I assume that if the other frames gained any form of sentience, the same would be true of them.

I'd be interested in the frames getting some form of sign language myself. That'd make sense, and if it was invented by our Operators (Since thanks to organ replacement and stuff, I don't think being mute or deaf is that common in WF's era), it could be a very sweet scene.

Just now, Aeon94 said:

I recommend watching / replaying those quests again , you will see us speaking through our warframe / umbra.

I probably will at some point. Was curious because I was thinking about how detached tenno are from the world, primarily interacting with it through puppets. Then it got me to thinking whether we've ever seen them speak through a frame, and I couldn't  clearly recall them ever doing it.

3 hours ago, (XB1)HAPPYHapyJ0YJoy said:

Well, not the frames themselves. More the Tenno through the frame. Like, whenever the operator speaks it's in a little com window, even if it's just to themself. So... can they speak through a frame? The frames themselves often don't seem to have mouths. Umbra has some level of sapience but can't speak for himself. So logic would suggest they can't. But that... Seems pretty awkward.

I ask primarily because we -do- interact with people in our frames. On Cetus. In the relays. These people talk to us, some of them probably aren't carrying around futuristic cell phones for us to call them up on. Are our frames just standing around wordlessly like a bunch of idiots while people monologue at them?

There's a couple of cutscenes (at least one with Teshin in War Within, and I think another In The Sacrifice) that imply that the Operator can speak through the Warframe.  Teshin appears to have a conversation directly with the Operator when only the Warframe is present.  At that point it's kind of irrelevant whether the Operator is causing actual sound waves to come from the Warframe, or just using them to relay their comm signal.  Either way, the Operator can speak and someone near the Warframe can hear them.  (And even Konzu seems to have access to *some* kind of transmitter to update you on bounty objectives.  Given that it's the Far Far Future, it seems likely that people who *don't* have the equivalent of a cell-phone with them at all times are considered disabled, desperately poor, or some kind of weird religious cult.  (Heck, some of my relatives feel that way *now,* and constantly harass me about the fact that I don't want or need a smartphone, and refuse to use Facebook.)

3 hours ago, (XB1)HAPPYHapyJ0YJoy said:

I think it is more that the tenno can project their voice through the warframe, rather than the warframe forming the words. In the comics it is shown that the Lotus can also project her voice through our warframes to make audible speech to others. Most likely all of this is performed through transference. But there must be some sort of technology installed as well as we also get messages from Alad V, Sargus Ruk, Konzu and all the other people that speak to us over time, but again, it's the tenno replying to the communication, not the warframe.