Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing - Please Put Us In Space Already?

Old_King_Belgothia

Let me start out by saying that I like Archwing, I feel like it has so much potential. However...

I honestly don't feel like I'm in space. Ignoring all the very earth-like atmosphere oxygen-fueled sound effects and particle effects still behaving like there's gravity... the main issue I think that needs fixing is the way the camera/aiming still behaves like there's gravity.

There is still an up and down direction/orientation while in AW missions. I feel like I'm flying around in a space-themed room that just had the floor removed and is now 100% skybox and props.

It's not just an immersion-breaking thing, this is a pretty big deal and it affects gameplay. For example, I can't properly continue to aim at targets when they fly over or under as the aiming and camera still behave like there's a limit to that based on restrictions that don't make sense in the vacuum of space.

By allowing players to aim everywhere they want with no restriction it will not only bump up the gameplay but make the game more visually spectacular as players can become ‘upside down’ in relation to other objects, enemies and players. Yes it will be a little bit disorientating but that's what space combat is all about! I can't stress enough how much more amazing archwing would look and feel from this effect. It would really take form and look like an entirely new module of the game and not just a tacked on gimmick (no offense!). I can only hope that what I'm asking for is not an impossible task because of engine restrictions.

To help, I'll leave you with a video from Dead Space 2 which is the only game I've played where you control an actual person (as opposed to a ship) w/ similar camera and aiming system to Warframe and also contains zero-gravity sections.

http://youtu.be/YfyFwC5T7RM?t=3m37s

Notice how the regular third-person camera/aim system is dropped completely and seamlessly to zero gravity controls and aiming with the press of a button - No loading times, no separate game module.

^ Seriously? That's such a weak reason to leave such an important part of SPACE COMBAT out. I mean, get used to it or don't go playing a space-themed game/module.

Maybe just an 'orient to ground' hotkey? Also featured in Dead Space 2...  and possibly an option to have it constantly active for those who aren't ninja enough.

DE said this was too disorienting in testing. It seems to me that waypoint markers and such would help, so I'm hoping they change their minds.

If they tested it, i think they should consider how well rated was alien vs predator, when you play as alien you are encouraged to change the way you feel the environment, basically, as alien you better forget you know what is a building, and see everything as tunnels, then you start to flow, archwing fans deserve a chance to try how disorienting it is, and if such disorientation is acceptable

Also, when and where they said this?

Edited by rockscl

^ Seriously? That's such a weak reason to leave such an important part of SPACE COMBAT out. I mean, get used to it or don't go playing a space-themed game/module.

Maybe just an 'orient to ground' hotkey? Also featured in Dead Space 2...  and possibly an option to have it constantly active for those who aren't ninja enough.

If they tested it, i think they should consider how well rated was alien vs predator, when you play as alien you are encouraged to change the way you feel the environment, basically, as alien you better forget you know what is a building, and see everything as tunnels, then you start to flow, archwing fans deserve a chance to try how disorienting it is, and if such disorientation is acceptable

Also, when and where they said this?

I completely agree that I think this isn't that much of a problem. Perhaps people who are prone to the issue would disagree, but in that case there could be an option to directionally lock movement. It was said on one of the Devstreams just before Archwing's release (the one where the clarified it wasn't on-rails if I remember right, or the one right after that).

ah! yes! i remember that being a thing.

that is a good compromise so Players can help themselves if they get disoriented. while the rest of us can have one less chain dragging us down in Archwing.

i can't agree on making the gameplay harder.

that's funny, that not being locked into ground combat would make Space Combat more difficult.

i'm having a lot of Difficulty functioning when the Enemies function like they're in space, and we function like gimped Jet Fighters.

the lack of Newtonian Space Combat in the Space Combat part of the game makes it MORE difficult for Players, not less.

so i guess not getting disoriented is our tradeoff, and instead we just get RNG death because we aren't equipped with the tools for Space Combat.

yay, some people can figure out where 'down is' that couldn't play without it, and then after that they get killed because we're not allowed to move like the Enemies do.

So slightly off topic but, what's everyone's feelings on drag? Ever notice when you "slide" in space you eventually stop? Realistically you should be able to keep on "sliding" forever. This even serves as a fundamental technique in space combat. If someone's on your tail, typically you uncouple you "flight computer" or "turn off inertia dampening" depending on the game. This allows you to keep moving in the direction you were going, but spin/turn wherever you need to to line up a shot.

So slightly off topic but, what's everyone's feelings on drag? Ever notice when you "slide" in space you eventually stop? Realistically you should be able to keep on "sliding" forever. 

You do want to stop at times before having your face be planted to an asteroid or a wall. 

Yes, you would be sliding approximately forever in real life (barring gravitational pulls from other planets and objects of massive mass if you get too close to them), but for gameplay, having the ability to stop every now and then is useful. 

First, the feature proposed by OP is not disorienting in the least (and I was just going to propose the same, thanks to the search), as a great fun of X3 game series I say that being unable to roll and pitch*(edited) for 360° IS disorienting.

Second, this:

fjn7tw.jpg

Edited by Bouldershoulder

You do want to stop at times before having your face be planted to an asteroid or a wall. 

Yes, you would be sliding approximately forever in real life (barring gravitational pulls from other planets and objects of massive mass if you get too close to them), but for gameplay, having the ability to stop every now and then is useful. 

Well I mean all you'd have to do to stop "sliding" is release the "slide" key. I meant you should keep "sliding" forever so long as you hold the key down. Or toggle it if that's ever implemented for Archwing.

Edited by KittyDarkling

Sliding allows for some freedom of rotation. I can understand the suggestion, but many want a new radar and better reasons to engage in Archwing. Honestly I just enjoy flying around becuase it has that Nintendo Sky Captain zen flying feel. When you have kids you play all kinds of games, and while Sky Captain is for children, the flying mechanic was quite entertaining. Archwing has that same feel while coasting around the objects.

I could just spend hours mining and enjoying the sky boxes if it was available.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

Archwing is raw. It's basically a demo. Give them time to iron out the deets. I mean, c'mon, it was released ahead of schedule, and half the corpus enemies are large versions of existing corpus enemies. Give them time.

They can take all the time they need if it means AW is going to get significantly better. I thought they work on the game based upon feedback like this - If we all had the attitude to be silent because they're working then I doubt they'd be working on very much.

Edited by MrDaylight

And about the disorientation thing I do sincerely believe it's just a matter of adaptation. I mean for some of us who used to play flight sims or space combat games it seems easier, but there's indeed some learning curve there and some players have a hard time adapting to it. Anyways some space games are incorporating FPS into them and Warframe is a pioneer at adapting TPS into 3D spacial combat.

I believe some improved visual aids in the UI could potentially help players with disorientation, like displaying in the HUD the the X,Y and Z axis the game uses. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archwing is raw. It's basically a demo. Give them time to iron out the deets. I mean, c'mon, it was released ahead of schedule, and half the corpus enemies are large versions of existing corpus enemies. Give them time.

I think it's the opposite. we're the ones smaller, because everything looks bigger. corpus crewman looks like a giant. the doors are huge when compared to normal tilesets. we and our poor rockets are essentially dwarfs.

Yep, AW needs more rework.

Anyway back on topic. How about if the restriced aiming angles to be widened a bit? is the limit 90 degrees aiming up or down? maybe make it 120 degrees? that way we have a bit more freedom looking up or down.

Other than that I agree with it being a toggleable option.

Usually demo hasn't events. And so much content. And updates for content, not for gameplay. And even unic items.