Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Get A Gatling ? (In Need Of A Art Concept)

Kracken

I think that a lot of Tenno dreams about having a multiple barrel firearm.

shadowrun_ruhrmetall_minigun_by_raben_aa

(All hail raben-aas for his art )

Will it be a minigun, chain gun or gatling... The main concept and mechanics are nearly the same - wind-up and rotating barrels... I chose to use the name " Gatling " for the topic because of Richard Gatling is the father inventor of those death bringers.

But the name of the WF weapon itself Let it be " Vulcan " (i know, it is commonly used in games)...

HMG version  (core project)

Stats:

Physical dmg 66

- 22 on all types

Fire speed 40

Accuracy 6

mild-like recoil 

Trigger type auto (need to be fully winded [~2s] to be able to fire)

NO MAG only max ammo (2500) / no reload time

crit chance / status 10%

crit dmg 2x

(crit and status changes are secondary matters )

Suggested stats counting the given feedback:

Physical dmg 40

Fire speed  35

Accuracy 13

medium Recoil

crit 0 / 1x

Status 5%

MR 11

Deadly at short range - highly inaccurate at longer ( like shotguns but more fun to use ) - most suitable for "cover fire".

Like some of you noticed the main difference between Gorgon/Supra and this weapon is it need to be fully wind-up to shot. Because of it and its accuracy is low and the dmg is pretty high.

Additionally because of stability purposes The frame will not be able to sprint while using it (with a light reduction to bullet-jumping and gliding). You may say it is for balance purposes but i think it will give a flavor for this gun. This feature can be cut by using syndicate mod if devs allow it.

Another flavor for this gun is that it don't have a mag- since it don't have a mag it won't have any reload time.

But to not lose all ammo in one go, Vulcan should have a " overheat " feature - it need to cooldown after firing a certain amount of bullets (let say 0.5 of max ammo) in one short succession. It kinda forces you to fire short series to maintain the heat / replace the mag. But in most cases your enemies (that are stupid enough to get close to you) will be dead before you hit the max heat- not to mention that mods will also alter the heat threshold if not cut it whole.

My heart wants to give the weapon some ammo regeneration ability... I think it's worth it.

And while not making it being a big chunk of dakka on our backs - the Vulcan could fold itself like opticor.

LMG version

Stats

Physical dmg 33

( ~11 on all types)

Fire speed 30

Accuracy 14

Low recoil -> High recoil (the recoil will increase the longer you shoot - up to a cap)

Trigger type auto (need to be fully winded [~2s] to be able to fire)

NO MAG only max ammo (2500) / no reload time

crit chance / status 10%

crit dmg 1.5x

MR 13

Unlike to its Heavy brother the LMG Vulcan have lighter punch and don't have any movement hindrance. It still have the initial need of wind up to shoot.

The biggest change is that instead of cooling down now have a increasing recoil. You can try " breaking" the fire rate to compensate the gain of recoil but you will have to build up the wind-up as it loses it pretty fast when not firing.

Note that the numbers on both versions are only for information purposes only - to show how the weapon works.

Reasoning  behind the project

If you ask me Why i created the Vulcan i can give you a silly and a serious answer.

Silly one:

"Its a freaking minigun! And we need it for the hek of it."

But that one isn't heartwarming, constrictive and encouraging.

Serious one:

While looking on all types of weapons, How they work and how you handle them. Each of them while use nearly the same "stance", on most cases they don't have any drawbacks and advantages while using them (excluding dmg output, ammo pool/efficiency). In a way they are plain and similar to each other ,which the exception to a few " special/ strange " weapons. 
Each of them can be used freely every time. I wanted to make a mess with that concept with my Vulcan as the weapons lacked more advanced mechanics.

I wanted to create something that will not copy the same schematics. That will come with disadvantages that creates a path to new tactics.

It came to me that we lack real heavy weapons.

Original dark sector had one

Dark_Sector_Mini-gun_screenshot.jpg

As much as i think about it and how much I like to play with a Gorgon prisma. I debated with a friend what HMG we wish to see.

We came up with the idea of a Tenno minigun (or rather a minigun for the Tenno). As stated in some posts - a plain minigun would be boring / plain.

The main flavor of Vulcan would be decent dmg per bullet, very high fire speed (6k rpm of M134 obliges) and no mag/clip. While i wanted to not give the Vulcan high recoil, I would compensate the initial features with poor accuracy. But that still not it. its still simple.

At some point i was heavily comparing Vulcan and Soma. in both DPS and Reliability department.

To make the weapon more fun and give it more tactical approach. I added three really needed features:

1) to shoot you need to fully wind-up the weapon (as it befits a real minigun)

2) (as it came to be the most controversial feature) It will hinder movement when using

3) (questionable) cooling after long continuous shooting

While I'm the person who wish to break the whole "meta" in the game. I wish to take my Vulcan anywhere i please. Because of the disadvantage of the weapon. We are forced on depending on our secondary and melee weapon more than we are used to. And we have a huge arsenal that should fill the gaps, the drawback in each weapons. I think that currently its not executed correctly...

Even counting the upcoming mandatory mod changes. Each of us will mod their weapon differently and each of us will use Vulcan in their own way. I wished that Vulcan can be used on big group of enemies. To clear the paths. To make it fun to use. To force people to not bash buttons. To make them more team mates rather than only mates on a mission.

I have even used a picture that don't have " hip grip" but a modified standard one (right hand close to the shoulder, while left is up straight ).

If Vulcan was a legitimate for the game as it is now it would not have any movement hindrances. In my mind that wouldn't be as much fun the core concept.

The concept of having a minigun in the game isn't actually new. But most of the past concept was based only on looks rather than mechanics behind the weapon.
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/186964-special-request-to-de-staff/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/127454-what-the-supra-should-have-looked-like/

To sum up the reason for heavy(core) version and partially the LMG version of the Vulcan:

- Its fun

- force a more tactical approach on the missions

- you are more dependent on secondary / melee weapons and sometimes on warframe abilities to compensate the movement hindrance/ ammo efficiency (in case of LMG - not so much)

- its not a straight upgrade of any existing weapon

- its is something fresh

So?

a_thing_by_doreikuplz-d8fl9ky.jpg

In case if you are reading this, don't forget to leave a comment !

Edited by Cracken

The problem with a Tenno minigun (And this is a VERY minute problem) is that it really doesn't fit in with the Tenno theme of medium-light weaponry.

About the heaviest weapon that the Tenno own (Not including Archwing) is the Soma (And soma prime) which falls under the Light Machine Gun category. Something bulky and loud doesn't mesh well thematically with "Space ninjas" and that isn't to say I'm personally opposed to the idea, but it's just something to consider.

Also, the proposed art looks kind of halo-ish for the Tenno. Slimming it down some and adding wooden hand grips along with a bit more polished metal surfaces would go a long way to looking Tenno/ Orokin in origin.

Oh, and I think the concept of drawing from a larger max ammo pool is neat, but may need reworking. I can see that getting completely overpowered with a Nekros around.

Edited by Rehtael7

The problem with a Tenno minigun (And this is a VERY minute problem) is that it really doesn't fit in with the Tenno theme of medium-light weaponry.

About the heaviest weapon that the Tenno own (Not including Archwing) is the Soma (And soma prime) which falls under the Light Machine Gun category. Something bulky and loud doesn't mesh well thematically with "Space ninjas" and that isn't to say I'm personally opposed to the idea, but it's just something to consider.

Also, the proposed art looks kind of halo-ish for the Tenno. Slimming it down some and adding wooden hand grips along with a bit more polished metal surfaces would go a long way to looking Tenno/ Orokin in origin.

Oh, and I think the concept of drawing from a larger max ammo pool is neat, but may need reworking. I can see that getting completely overpowered with a Nekros around.

Shhh... Take Jat Kittag and silence

Maybe something more like this :

alien_mini_gun_by_vladmrk-d7gkl66.jpg

Rotary Weapons are always cool, and for Warframe's purposes, i'd go for a lighter Caliber Rotary Weapon, something that's still reasonable portable but makes that classic Rotary Weapon feel.

66*40 is insane though, especially since it has Crit and Status Chances. both of which would need to be 0 if you want to deal that sort of Overpowered Damage per Shot.

25*40 is more reasonable, but still insane. at this level, Crit still needs to be 0/1x, but you could get away with 2.5% Status i guess.

which with the Mods i expect would be used on such a Weapon, should come out to about 78,512 Damage Output. (Multishot, 2 Base Damage, 3 90% Elemental, 1 60% Elemental, Shred)

you can get away with 11-13 'Accuracy' then as well, so that it's capable of not missing quite as much.

About the heaviest weapon that the Tenno own (Not including Archwing) is the Soma (And soma prime) which falls under the Light Machine Gun category.

(Soma is an Assault Rifle with a big Ammo box on it)

(Soma is an Assault Rifle with a big Ammo box on it)

Characteristics[edit]

Modern light machine guns often fire smaller-caliber cartridges than medium machine guns, and are usually lighter and more compact. Some LMGs, such as the Russian RPK, are modifications of existing assault rifle designs and designed to share the same ammunition. Adaptations to the original rifle generally include a larger magazine, a heavier barrel to resist overheating, a more robust mechanism to support sustained fire and a bipod.

The Braton is an assault rifle. The Karak is an assault rifle. The Dera is an assault rifle. The Soma is the mutant offspring of a Minigun and an LMG.

Edited by Rehtael7