Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Garuda, insulting to Religion? (closed, questions answered)

General_Durandal

1 hour ago, Dabnician said:

I was Raise Catholic, Please do not be offended or insulted on behalf of something, when you yourself claim are not "a part of any one religion"

To be fair they probably wanted to name it "Gangrel" but didnt want to get sued by white wolf

I thought I wasn't, but I kinda am, trying not to be, but it's more a thing for love of myth.
I love history and mythology, and dislike when it's completely misrepresented.
I am angry that Garuda steals souls, drinks blood, and cuts herself,
it makes no sense for either Garuda, Great Bird of Prey, or God-King Bird.
But at least I've learned things from this,
some of what I wanted to learn from it, and some extra stuff too.

Gangrel isn't a real mythological name associated with ware-wolves, just a made-up name for the table-top game.
(I think)
So it would be a sue-able offence to use it without permission.

I think Rancor would have been a way better name.

36 minutes ago, General_Durandal said:

No!? Really?

I don't think anyone gathered that. This isn't the 5th time you've said this in this thread.

Gosh.

Image result for sarcastic gif

This is so going to get locked, round and round we go in circles. Grumpy Monkey.

Edited by DeMonkey

whats with these people and getting offended by everything?

NOTHING IS BEING OFFENDED, IS FANTASY

seriously this SJW bs is getting too far

Also, i would had called her Lilith, since lilith is basically the first vampire

Edited by Toppien

1 hour ago, Vanille said:

That anime ironically enough is the complete opposite (in case you didn't watch it). In their universe, humans shouldn't even be existing (at least on Earth), they were the result of the wrong "egg" (created by an ancient civilization) arriving on Earth, which was suposed to be inhabited by Angels ("children of Adam"), creatures that have nothing to do with their Christian theme. The whole anime is filled with it, the Divinity part of it, yet it's one of the most successful animes regardless.

I haven't watched Evenglion, but it looks and sounds interesting.

10 minutes ago, MasterBurik said:

Upon his birth, Garuda ate a bunch of people (the Nisada and the brahmin), a pair of quarreling brothers (the tortoise and the elephant), then proceeded to satiate his hunger by eating the arm flesh of Vishnu Hari. Not the best start for the "defender of mankind," IMO.

As opposed to, oh I don't know, looking at the sun, thinking it was a fruit and trying to get it and eat it? 😁

10 minutes ago, General_Durandal said:

I thought I wasn't, but I kinda am, trying not to be, but it's more a thing for love of myth.
I love history and mythology, and dislike when it's completely misrepresented.
I am angry that Garuda steals souls, drinks blood, and cuts herself,
it makes no sense for either Garuda, Great Bird of Prey, or God-King Bird.
But at least I've learned things from this,
some of what I wanted to learn from it, and some extra stuff too.

Gangrel isn't a real mythological name associated with ware-wolves, just a made-up name for the table-top game.
(I think)
So it would be a sue-able offence to use it without permission.

This is the same argument all the people have against Anna Diop playing StarFire in the new TeenTitans movie? Or that Zazie Beetz is playing Domino in Deadpool2?

Rancor is more closely related to Starwars than 13th century french to be honest

Edited by Dabnician

I don't give a crap if DE comes up with a frame named Muhamad who weaponizes doughnuts. No religion deserves immunity from artistic portrayal, regardless of its accuracy. Offended? I'm still waiting to hear your argument.

Edit: I must say, this is one of the more chill threads that deal with a controversial topic.

Edited by Tellakey

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

That was his "in progress" name, much the same as Octavia's was "bard".

This thread gets worse and worse. :facepalm:

Should we also be insulted that Khora doesn't look like places in Greece? I mean, she's named after territories located just outside of a city, her alt helmet is "Delphi" which is obviously also a place in Greece.

I demand that either Khora be renamed, or turned into an ancient Greek building. It's insulting otherwise. /s

And OP, many of your posts can be directed at multiple people. You don't need a new post for every single response, you've been accused of spam before.

Sorry, Like this?
I like taking things one thing at a time.
~

1 hour ago, rune_me said:

Well now you have.

Yes, I've learned a-lot.
~

1 hour ago, DeMonkey said:

How long before OP responds to our posts I wonder, they're still individually responding to posts from back on Page 4.

10p says we have at least an hour to kill.

Sorry!
~

1 hour ago, Rekkou said:

Let me guess, if i don't find it offensive then i'm wrong and evil while you're the right one here for "caring" so much for other people?

Drop the facade, you think nobody has seen this before? none of this matter for you, you don't care at all. You see this as nothing but fuel to your self-righteous ego.

I do care about the myth, and proper representation of it.
~

54 minutes ago, notlamprey said:

I'm insulted that we have yet another thread full of nothing but grandstanding for fake internet points, filled with the same people who always grandstand for fake internet points.

Now all we need is for someone to be insulted that I'm insulted that they're insulted that OP made reference to yet other people potentially being insulted, and we'll have at least finally accomplished something in this dung heap of a thread.

What?
~

49 minutes ago, Dabnician said:

YOU don't worship that god, You have already stated you are not religious

Okay sure we can play this game OP has the name  "Durandal", Durandal is the sword of Roland, who was a paladin of Charlemagne. Roland was part of the Saxon Wars where Charlemagne returned in 782 to Saxony to instituted a code of law that was severe on religious issues, namely the native paganism of the Saxons. They ended with 4500 saxons being executed and 3000-4000 killed around 796... Since i was raised catholic should i be offended by OPs name since Charlemagne was the emperor of the first holy roman emperor? What about anyone with heritage from Saxony?

You could have called your self "General Triclaviani" and that would be the same significance that not too many people would pick up.

I am religious, just not from any religion. I believe in God.

Well, I did take the name Durandal from that sword, mainly because it was indestructible, and sounded cool...
I can see how that can be offensive, and i'm sorry.
~

32 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Warframe Loki has decoys/clones, invisibility and teleporting.

In the link that you have provided, do you see any mention of decoys/clones, invisibility or teleporting?

Does the Marvel Loki have any of the following, decoys/clones, invisibility and teleporting?

Ergo, Warframe Loki is based on the Marvel Loki, not the Norse Loki.

He was one of the first frames, so they probably had to go with simple tricky abilities.
What would Loki's powers be if you made him?
~

23 minutes ago, MasterBurik said:

Upon his birth, Garuda ate a bunch of people (the Nisada and the brahmin), a pair of quarreling brothers (the tortoise and the elephant), then proceeded to satiate his hunger by eating the arm flesh of Vishnu Hari. Not the best start for the "defender of mankind," IMO.

Oh wow, thank you! That is the kind of "dark-side to the myth" info I was looking for.
~

21 minutes ago, Dabnician said:

With this response and the context of your original post, this makes me think you're just intentionally trying to start drama on the forums.

I'm just seeking knowledge.

On 2018-11-10 at 9:03 AM, General_Durandal said:

If anyone knows where the idea for the bloody warframe Garuda came from, plz share the info.

Someone actually recently answered the question, so we don't need to keep this forum page open anymore.
~

15 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

...I don't recall our Loki giving birth to an Eight legged horse in-game either.

Perhaps the names are just names and should be subject to only the most loosely related equivalents?

Otherwise, Garuda can get in line behind the string of other frames who's names aren't completely accurate depictions of them in game.

They don't have to be exactly 100% accurate.
But more then 10% accurate.
Now that I know some more about Garuda's dark side, she's more in then 30-40% range now.

~

14 minutes ago, Acersecomic said:

Fkin really? Insulting?

Seriously!? Honestly, your way of thinking insults me.

Sorry?

~

12 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Dude, he's just a troll. You're letting yourself be trolled by him. 

A troll is someone who aggravates because they think it's fun.
I find this very frustrating because peeps aren't reading everything.
The questions I've asked have already been answered, so no need to keep posting.

~

56 minutes ago, rune_me said:

Dude, he's just a troll. You're letting yourself be trolled by him. 

Usually I'd presume so myself but with being oversensitive sunflower and unjustified self-entitled nosy sjw is a trend lately, it is really hard to differentiate between the trolls and just stupid people who's voice shames those who actually need to be heard.