Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Always see **** when other players typing chinese

Hopeofnothing

As the title,

Just curious what exactly I need to do to actually see what they are typing?

Obviously they refuse to use english.

Changing the launcher language makes the whole UI into chinese which I don't want.

Even if I can read chinese, when the team chat is all ******

That's really hard to tell what they are trying to say 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

You need to use the corresponding client (e.g. S.Chinese client to see S.Chinese text). In a similar way you can type the corresponding text.

It's stupid IMO and DE should change the way it works by showing and inputting all kinds of text in English client. 

Edited by Marvelous_A
  • Like 3

Just now, Marvelous_A said:

You need to use the corresponding client (e.g. S.Chinese client to see S.Chinese text).

It's stupid IMO and DE should change the way it works.

This is what I really do not want to, the UI and naming all in Chinese, need to relearn the names, not to mention super weird 😂

17 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Why should DE want this?

Coz players want this? Same goes for all QoL changes. I myself am a bilingual user, have been using English client and it's VERY inconvenient when you play with one of your people who doesn't know English by random matchmaking. 

Same when you try to trade with someone on Warframe market and you find out the player only knows local language.

Edited by Marvelous_A
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

Coz players want this? Same goes for all QoL changes. I myself am a bilingual user, have been using English client and it's VERY inconvenient when you play with one of your people who doesn't know English by random matchmaking. 

Same when you try to trade with someone on Warframe market and you find out the player only knows local language.

For multilingual users like me and you (I am actually trilingual, and I do visit the other language clients occasionally if I want to play with friends who only speak that particular language), it may be slightly beneficial if we can read the *** (other language characters) that appear. However, allowing all characters to be typed in the english client will cause more players who uses other languages primarily to play in the English client. This will definitely cause an issue to players who cannot read chinese (or russian / japanese / spanish etc), as they will literally have no idea what the other player is talking about. Occasionally, you will meet these "I don't understand English" traders on the English client, its probably because of that too.

Also, it is actually quite impractical. If you have ever visited the other clients, you would know that all mods and weapons are named differently. While its reasonably easy to recognize a weapon that you main, trying to flip through thousands of mods by looking at the picture / understand the google translate tier version of the name is a pain. (visit the chinese one since you know how to understand the language.... trying to figure out which mod is the one you want is already pretty annoying and its even worse for rivens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leyers_of_facade said:

For multilingual users like me and you (I am actually trilingual, and I do visit the other language clients occasionally if I want to play with friends who only speak that particular language), it may be slightly beneficial if we can read the *** (other language characters) that appear. However, allowing all characters to be typed in the english client will cause more players who uses other languages primarily to play in the English client. This will definitely cause an issue to players who cannot read chinese (or russian / japanese / spanish etc), as they will literally have no idea what the other player is talking about. Occasionally, you will meet these "I don't understand English" traders on the English client, its probably because of that too.

Also, it is actually quite impractical. If you have ever visited the other clients, you would know that all mods and weapons are named differently. While its reasonably easy to recognize a weapon that you main, trying to flip through thousands of mods by looking at the picture / understand the google translate tier version of the name is a pain. (visit the chinese one since you know how to understand the language.... trying to figure out which mod is the one you want is already pretty annoying and its even worse for rivens.

I don't think your worry of more players use non-english is a problem though, as of now, we can't see other languages on normal chat, but we see it during mission.

Just allowing us to read the **** shouldn't mean allowing other languages to appear on normal chat, but at least during mission, just like how it is now.

It's a shame that Warframe don't allow multi language in the same launcher. 

I'm french living in Japan and if I stay with the Japanese launcher to be able to read and type in Japanese I have no other choice than to use the censored version of the game (no blood and no body cutting). So I use the Occidental version of Warframe in English and cannot communicate normally with other Japanese on Japanese severs.

It's the first game I see with this problem.

5 hours ago, Marvelous_A said:

You need to use the corresponding client (e.g. S.Chinese client to see S.Chinese text). In a similar way you can type the corresponding text.

It's stupid IMO and DE should change the way it works by showing and inputting all kinds of text in English client. 

I am not sure about that, it seems changing to Chinese or Japanese text will enable viewing both ways,
Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji will display with Chinese client, as well as viewing Chinese text using Japanese client.
Korean text is kind of rare to see.

Simplified and Traditional Chinese seems to have no issue displaying (Hong Kong and Taiwan uses Traditional, PRC uses simplified)

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

5 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Why should DE want this?

因为不是每个人都只会英语,多国语言可以被同一个人理解。

誰もが英語しか話せないので、多言語は一人で理解できる。

or

*************,************

*************.************

I can understand the first 2 lines, I don't understand all the " ****** "

"Because not everyone is English-only, a person could understand multiple languages."

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

or

"Because not everyone is English-only, a person could understand multiple languages."

Nice!

or

*!

Il y a 1 heure, Ada_Wong_SG a dit :

or

英語しか話せない人ばかりじゃなく、いくつの言語を話せる人もいるからだ。

がいいと思うんですよ。

3 hours ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

Maybe the reason is that DE can't expect all moderators to speak multiple languages, and hate speech, curse words, etc would fly under the radar... I know that the squad chat with your friends is somewhat different, but I don't think they can make any exceptions. On the top of that, chat moderation itself is somewhat of a sensitive topic these days as I noticed, so if I'm right, don't expect them to change this anytime soon 😞

It is honestly annoying, because I personally can read Chinese, some Japanese and have started on learning Korean. It kind of sucks when you don't know what is being typed because of all those stupid stars censoring everything. But I won't blame DE that much. Of course, being Canadian and all, I don't think bilingualism, especially between English and Chinese/Japanese/Korean, is a common kind of thing over there. Don't forget a lot of "Western" languages like French, German and English still use the Latin Alphabet as base (with some appends here and there), while Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Russian, Ukrainian etc all use different strokes/alphabet.

But it would of course be nice. I connect to Chinese Speaking players a lot and not being able to see what they write on the squad chat is a pain as I do like to keep myself informed of the squad's plans.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Viveeeh said:

Maybe the reason is that DE can't expect all moderators to speak multiple languages, and hate speech, curse words, etc would fly under the radar... I know that the squad chat with your friends is somewhat different, but I don't think they can make any exceptions. On the top of that, chat moderation itself is somewhat of a sensitive topic these days as I noticed, so if I'm right, don't expect them to change this anytime soon 😞

I suppose I am more worried about not knowing about the team's plan and acting like a totally blur player
than any hate speech, curse words or anything unpleasant slipping under the radar.

Even though I can totally deliver a profanity that is suppose to be Chinese but spells it using hiragana/ english and vice versa.
no moderators can keep up with such exploits, we might ends up delete chat box from the game if afraid of such abuse. 

Off topic
Other than the waypoint function, there is no way to communicate with team without voice chat or chatting.
voice chat being spammed with music blasting players is already a nuisance so I muted it, I guess many might have done it 
and use discord or other voice chat function to prevent public players from causing much trouble.

And racial and hate speech delivered through voice chat is even harder to moderate

so I keep it off because I have encountered multiple instances of those.

It might be better with some "Quick voice chat" that is done by operator to other players.
instead of Lotus, it shows our operator in the voice dialogue and telling others information.

We can mute the voice on that but there would be at least visual hints,
most of the time it is what in-mission context need and having this
mission specific "chat" function translated might be easier.

Something like this is present in CS and older FPS before voice chat is a thing. 
which is easier to moderate.
Radio_commands_css.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

Even though I can totally deliver a profanity that is suppose to be Chinese but spells it using hiragana/ english and vice versa.

OMG can't even imagine Chinese being written in hiragana/katakana, the pain is real 😄

19 minutes ago, Ada_Wong_SG said:

It might be better with some "Quick voice chat" that is done by operator to other players.

instead of Lotus, it shows our operator in the voice dialogue and telling others information.

This! This function is given in so many games, if they would implement it in a simple way (like using gear items for example) it would be even faster than writing in the chat. Plus this operator voice chat gives no place to no-go words and topics, and it's language neutral, so no problem on that front either.

il y a une heure, Ada_Wong_SG a dit :

It's literally impossible to use hiragana or katakana to spell Chinese. Or only something that may looks like but no..

Even simpler alphabet based languages are impossible to spell in Japanese so Chinese and he's very complex phonetic, no way.

Japanese syllabary is only usable for Japanese. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Herrwann69 said:

It's literally impossible to use hiragana or katakana to spell Chinese. Or only something that may looks like but no..

Even simpler alphabet based languages are impossible to spell in Japanese so Chinese and he's very complex phonetic, no way.

Japanese syllabary is only usable for Japanese. 

Mandarin Chinese (It is too early to make conclusion)

ぶ やーお しゅお で ぜ め ざお (bu ya-o shuo de ze me zao)

不要说的这么早。(bu yao shuo de zhe me zao)

Tibetan (How are you ?)

けーらん くーす でーぼ いんーべ?(ke-ran kusu debo inbe ?)

ཁྱེད་རང་སྐུ་གཇུགས་བདེ་པོ་ཡིན་པས།(kayrang kusu debo yimbay?)

Chinese spelling Japanese

孔尼奇瓦 ( kong ni qi wa)
今日は こんにちは (konnichiwa)

And something for the fun.

Grineer

てんのーすこむ (Tenno-Sukomu)
Grineer OGrineer EGrineer NGrineer NGrineer O Grineer SGrineer KGrineer OGrineer OGrineer M (Tenno Skoom)

Some improvised katakana warframe terms
it is not hard figuring out these without googling ?

ニカナープライム 、 
レッズープライム、
テイベロンープライム、
アクシレットープライム、
ソマープライム
ベテイスープライム。

オロキンーキャタリスト、
オロキンーリアクタ、
フォマ

スナイプーツロンーバンダル、
プリスマースカナ、
バローキッテイヤ、テシン。

フロストープライム、

マグープライム、 

ノバープライム、

メサープライム、

ミラジープライム、

リムボープライム、

ツリンニテイープライム。

デウレド、デイスペ、ヘト、ワル、ストカ。

ハンタームニシオン、アゴンースコプ、セッレシオン、スプリトーチェムバ

ポイントースツライク、バイタルーセンス、ビジャランテイーアママント、ハッマーショット

Edited by Ada_Wong_SG

• 1 month later...
On 2018-12-12 at 1:06 AM, Ada_Wong_SG said:

ニカナープライム 、 

Nikana Prime?

レッープライム、

I don't know what is "Retsuzu ... "

テイベロンープライム、

Tiberon Prime?

アクレットープライム、

Google translate gives "Accentile" when I doubled checked, but I know ofc this is wrong as there is no "Accentile Prime". It is "A Ku Shi Re To" which is a really bad transliteration of "Asktilleto"

ープライム

Soma Prime?

ベテイスープライム。

"Beiteisu Prime". I assume it is "Vectis Prime" from the similarity but I really don't see the similarity

オロキンーキャタリスト、
オロキンーリアクタ、
フォ

Orokin Catalyst

Orokin Reactor

Forma. Although I thought it would be "フォルマ"

スナイプーツロンーバンダル、
プリスマースカナ、
バローキッテイヤ、テシン。

??? (Even with google translate I have no idea what this is)

Prisma Skana

Baro Ki Teer, Teshin

フロストープライム、

マグープライム、 

ノバープライム、

メサープライム、

ミラジープライム、

リムボープライム、

ツリンニテイープライム。

デウレド、デイスペ、ヘト、ワル、ストカ。

Frost Prime

Mag Prime

Loli Prime

Butt Prime

Mirage Prime

Limbo Prime

Trinity Prime ... although I needed Translate for this to make sense.

Dread, Despair, Hate, War, Stalker

ハンタームニシオン、アゴンースコプ、セッレシオン、スプリトーチェムバ

ポイントースツライク、バイタルーセンス、ビジャランテイーアママント、ハッマーショット

Hunter Munition, Argon Scope, Serration (isn't セレシオン enough?), Split Chamber

Point Strike, Vital Sense, Vigilante Armaments, Hammer Shot (Isn't ハマーショト enough?)

I mean my katakana reading is not that good due to not actually having formal lessons and I actually know the words more by sound and hearing, so I did have to hit up translate for some that really didn't make any sense to me. Thing is, as you would have seen, the translation is not really that good anyway so it would be better to just write everything in English. While there are some things that are easy, some things don't make sense.

Japanese has no "L" sound. Also it is written in syllables not letters.

Chinese has no "V". It is written in words not letters.

English does not have the "u" with two dots on it

I actually get it why they don't allow other languages now.