Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Care for a game of Komi to pass the time?

Agentcheese

Ok so if you don't know what the title of this post is referencing and you haven't played the sacrifice yet, I suggest you turn back and play that first. 

This is because i will need to talk about some major spoilers to explain my idea.

Alright. Now on to my idea. Basically its adding a playable version of Komi to the game.You know, that board game you play against Ballas in the Umbra dream sequences.  I got a feeling it won't be too hard to implement since the framework for the game is already in warframe. The main issue I see with this is the popularity that Komi will have and how much it can keep that popularity.

Everyone was playing lunaro when it first came out. But now all the lunaro courts are basically ghost towns. I haven't been able to get into a single match in years.

So I want to use this post as sort of a graph to see how many people would actually be interested in games of Komi. Post your thoughts bellow, and make sure to say if you dislike the idea and the game as well. That information is also important. :)

• Like 2

I'm pretty bad at Go (Komi) currently but am interested in playing more. I woudn't mind it being added to the minigame thing in the orbiter. I'd like for it to have AI matches as well (but that would probably make PvP matches pretty hard to find) since it seems theres one in game already? Or does Ballas make pre-determined moves?

IMO Komi has more staying power than Lunaro, because while you can get pretty good at Komi, it's turn based strategy, so you can't get so good at Komi that you just constantly dunk on fools with perfect unblockable 3 pointers at the start of every round, to the point where the opposition feels they might as well not be playing.

Edited by AXCrusnik

12 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

I'm pretty bad at Go (Komi) currently but am interested in playing more. I woudn't mind it being added to the minigame thing in the orbiter. I'd like for it to have AI matches as well (but that would probably make PvP matches pretty hard to find) since it seems theres one in game already? Or does Ballas make pre-determined moves?

IMO Komi has more staying power than Lunaro, because while you can get pretty good at Komi, it's turn based strategy, so you can't get so good at Komi that you just constantly dunk on fools with perfect unblockable 3 pointers at the start of every round, to the point where the opposition feels they might as well not be playing.

Ah. I had no idea Komi would have some staying power over lunaro for those reasons. You see I got to play so little lunaro that I never ended up being as you called it "Dunked on" really badly. Sure the opposing players would whack the ball out of my hands many many times, but I never really minded that much. 

Anyway its nice to know that you would like this to be added to the game.

3 minutes ago, Agentcheese said:

Ah. I had no idea Komi would have some staying power over lunaro for those reasons. You see I got to play so little lunaro that I never ended up being as you called it "Dunked on" really badly. Sure the opposing players would whack the ball out of my hands many many times, but I never really minded that much. 

Anyway its nice to know that you would like this to be added to the game.

Skill difference in Lunaro gets pretty extreme. Would help if the game told you how to play better (a common issue with Warframe...). Most people won't know how to defend unstable balls because the tutorial just doesn't explain how to, while the pros will use unstable balls to crumple goalies attempting to catch it and score anyway (and get extra points for an unstable goal).

Edited by AXCrusnik

1 hour ago, Agentcheese said:

Ok so if you don't know what the title of this post is referencing and you haven't played the sacrifice yet, I suggest you turn back and play that first. 

This is because i will need to talk about some major spoilers to explain my idea.

Alright. Now on to my idea. Basically its adding a playable version of Komi to the game.You know, that board game you play against Ballas in the Umbra dream sequences.  I got a feeling it won't be too hard to implement since the framework for the game is already in warframe. The main issue I see with this is the popularity that Komi will have and how much it can keep that popularity.

Everyone was playing lunaro when it first came out. But now all the lunaro courts are basically ghost towns. I haven't been able to get into a single match in years.

So I want to use this post as sort of a graph to see how many people would actually be interested in games of Komi. Post your thoughts bellow, and make sure to say if you dislike the idea and the game as well. That information is also important. 🙂

or just go and find 1 of millions of "Go" games for free and already made.

9 hours ago, Xgomme said:

Yeah why not, could be nice !

At some point seeing mods looking like cards, I kinda wanted a card game too. I have some ideas I guess I'll try to design something soon :clem:

That sounds like a neat idea. And if DE doesn't give you the go ahead for your card game idea, you could always try and design your own game based on that idea.

8 hours ago, Aikatears said:

I like this idea. Adding it to the mini game list would be nice, maybe have it that you can invite someone and play that way?

That was the general idea I had in my head. Basically you had a Komi board in your Liset (Space ship) that you can interact with. When 2 people start interacting with it, it automatically starts the game. 

And if just one person interacts with the board, (in other words just you) then you can use a search function to find games of Komi to play. Just like you do with conclave matches and Lunaro.

don't see why not. even if it was just something you could build and add to the Dojo, so you and a clanmate can play against each other any time, no need for a dedicated mode, or Komi arena or whatever, just let it happen in the Dojos, they'll see much more popularity. other minigames could be added in there in future as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Agentcheese said:

So I want to use this post as sort of a graph to see how many people would actually be interested in games of Komi. Post your thoughts bellow, and make sure to say if you dislike the idea and the game as well. That information is also important. 🙂

I've been wanting to see Komi implemented into the game since the moment The Sacrifice dropped. I say they should just add it to the ludoplex now that we have that.

23 hours ago, Agentcheese said:

By "Go" I'm assuming you mean mobile games? Anyway its clear that you would find Komi games in warframe to be pretty useless. So I'll count your vote as a no.

Go is an ancient game. There are all sorts of apps implementing the game from starter like the one in Sacrifice to full boards.

Frankly I’d prefer a more varied and spicy set of missions and in game activities that are in line with the game.

arcade games are fun, but warframe is turning into a classic arcade knock off house with Barbie doll warframe as the side show.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-12-26 at 9:34 AM, ChaosSabre said:

I'm not gonna lie. I got no clue how that game worked. I just clicked stuff.

You had to surround the enemy pieces with your pieces. Once a piece was fully surrounded it was removed from the board.

In other words it was kinda like chess and checkers.