Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on keeping standard frames once you have the Prime variant

BRT_LovesSushi

Question

I just can’t think of reason to keep them around??? They take up slot space, were fun level up for MR, but as it stands I’ve only ever forma’d one standard frame and that’s because it was early days for me and I couldn’t see my way through getting his Prime in a reasonable amount of time. Now I’m 156 days in and sitting on an inventory that is just about one to one, minus the specialty standards like Inaros, Ivara, etc... I’m just wondering if anyone knows of a reason to keep the standard frames around  once you’ve invested in their prime counter part?

Same question for weapons, my habit right now is aquire a new weapon, test/level it without a potato and if I like it after Mastery, than I potatoe and really spec it out, as a reward. But even in this case, if there is a Prime variant available I might just treat the standard weapon as MR fodder and call it a day.

at the end of the day I know the variations are generally pretty small in most cases, but there’s something about the Prime variant hook that always has me craving the better version : /

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I don't keep them. Not even quest ones. I'll build a 2nd Prime frame if I need the extra configs.

I do the same with weapons. I keep anything that doesn't have a Prime / Vandal / Wrath / Prisma variant and junk anything else.

The sound effects on some Prime weapons are subjectively inferior. That's about it. I still like the sound of original Soma over Soma Prime for instance.

11 minutes ago, BRT_LovesSushi said:

They take up slot space

So? That's not a solid reason to ditch them if you can buy more. I have 2 or 3 of each frame (some duplicate primes as well) and 5 Equinox. 

As for Equinox, each of her has a different Eidolon Lens equipped when I want to do some quick Focus runs on Adaro.

The rest typicall is for Umbra Builds, test frames or regular ones

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

Main usage is to use normal and prime for different builds; but its always possible considering the Tac alerts in the past; that DE could open up missions that penalize using gear that has too high of a Void energy signature - ala primes- its something to keep in mind.

If I was a collector I'd keep everything, but I'm not so my plan is to
- keep most weapons except MK ones and the ones I wouldn't want to play again even if DE paid me 😄
- keep only prime versions of frames except for quest reward frames (I don't want to pay plat if I one day happen too need the normal version)
- maybe keep normal version of my favorite frames if I have the space for them

Edited by Leyvonne

Frame wise I did just that. Rank it up and if there's a prime version, dump it for the Prime version so as not to buy a new slot for it.

However, I'm slowly recollecting those frames I dumped. Most of them are ready to be taken out of the foundry for when I want or need them. Some however I re-made with a purpose, such as Nova so that I can have a fast Nova, which I rarely use, next to my slow prime Nova.

Weapons, I have far less qualms about. If I see potential in it and I like how it handle,s  I keep it. But if it's just not my thing then I dump it, even if it's a prime one. E;g.: Fang, Burston,....

Or if it's a gimmick weapon that might have it's 1 use, e.g. Opticor, then I dump it as well, no matter if some swear by it to hunt Eidolons.

Word of warning though, if you think there is a change that you might want it again at some point, make sure that it is something that you can get without to much hassle before you do away with it

Edited by (PS4)kite9000
  • Like 1