Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Host Migration" needs rework or scrapping

Chylli.

That whole "host migration" garbage needs a major rework, and it needs it FAST!

There should not BE a host PLAYER.  If anyone just jumps out of the mission, it should NEVER affect the other players NO MATTER WHAT.

I was just in a Meso survival, opened 4 relics.  Obtained 2 forma blueprints, a piece of paris prime and bronco prime, but then instead of extracting the host just left.  It dumped the rest of us out of the mission AND TOOK THE RELIC ITEMS AWAY!  I checked my inventory.  Only the 3 forma blueprints I had going in, no paris prime piece at all, and only the bronco prime pieces I'd already gathered.  This should never happen just because someone loses connection or decides to be a punk and just leaves.

26 minutes ago, Cerlinad said:

This should never happen just because someone loses connection or decides to be a punk and just leaves.

Let's just say DE does get rid of players hosting and decides to host their own servers.

Would it be possible for you to lose connection to them?

It's not the losing connection bit that's the issue so much as a host player just abandoning the mission and screwing the rest over.

Other peer-to-peer games in the past have not had the issue of the entire game instance shutting down when the "host" leaves.  The 'host' shifts seamlessly behind the scenes to one of the other players, all of whom have identical copies of the instance running on their machines.  No one realizes that the player who left was "the host" because no interruption occurs to the remainder.  This is not the case with WF, and it is what I mean by they need to get rid of host "Players

14 minutes ago, xXRampantXx said:

And what exactly do you suggest as an alternative?  DE can't afford dedicated servers so, unless you have some other alternative in mind, there isn't really anything that can be done.

If a rinky dink little studio like phoenix labs can afford dedicated servers for their game, DE should be able to do so easily by this point.

54 minutes ago, Xaelroa said:

If a rinky dink little studio like phoenix labs can afford dedicated servers for their game, DE should be able to do so easily by this point.

Phoenix Labs' decision to use dedicated servers will most likely come back to bite them.  They're fine now because their player-base is small, but as it increases, the price of their servers will also have to go up, and I think they are relying far too heavily on the assumption that whatever micro-transactions their game has will make the necessary money to both pay for servers and continued development on their game.  The only way their game doesn't fail is if either it never really takes off and they maintain a low number of consistent players (which is, of course, a type of failure in and of itself), or if their players are far more willing to fork over copious amounts of money than they can reasonably be expected to be.

It's also worth noting that DE's money is going in more directions that Phoenix Labs'.  As far as I know Phoenix Labs has only one game, and nothing else.  DE, on the other hand, not only develops and publishes Warframe, but is the publisher of another game, has more employees to pay, and their own annual  convention to fund.  Just because DE is a bigger company does not necessarily mean they have more development funds to work with.

Edited by xXRampantXx

48 minutes ago, AltheusV said:

How about everyone running the host process and sharing the information with all of the other servers in the group. That way you don't need one specific host.

Mad bandwidth consumption. WF already is one of the more network heavy online games, and despite that, still has a lot of network sync related bugs.

They might be able to reinforce it with some redundancies but a good part of the reason that the loot is lost if you can't reconnect with other players from your group is probably to prevent ceating/duping of items. I'd guess that when the game is able to reconnect some of the players it is validating their drop tables against each other and barring the ability to validate those drop tables it's just washing the whole thing. 

Cause without that it would probably be pretty easy to "lose connection" and inject all kinds of loot into the reward table you sent to the loot servers. 

course I could probably be totally wrong but to me that seems like the most probably scenario. 

On 2019-03-13 at 8:56 PM, xXRampantXx said:

And what exactly do you suggest as an alternative?  DE can't afford dedicated servers so, unless you have some other alternative in mind, there isn't really anything that can be done.

Clearly the power of the cloud will save us!!!1!1!one!1!1oneone!!1!uno!!!11!!

Edited by Oreades