Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets Make A Warframe Movie!

--Aegis--MR9

I would really like to watch a Warframe movie before I die. 

I think on the right hand, Warframe can turn into an excellent movie, a blockbuster with multiple sequels. It has every element to be an incredible sci-fi+action+adventure. OMG just thinking about it gives me the chills! Imagine the kind of story we can make and the kind of action we can blend into. 

If Digital Extreme cant afford to make one, we can organize a fund raiser. I, myself, would be happy to donate every cent I have saved so far. 

singularity_2_0_by_streetx222-d741maf.jp

Edited by MR9BCI
  • Like 1

the problem here is that it would be some sort of spin-off story or smth like that

because the problem of making a movie from the open-world game source is enormous load of back-setting lore that doesnt play out into the main story of the film unless you know a good chunk of it.

without it it will be just a bunch of warframes shooting stuff half the movie with some mild exposition that is irrelevant to the game's world

il y a 19 minutes, Pro3Display a dit :

the problem here is that it would be some sort of spin-off story or smth like that

because the problem of making a movie from the open-world game source is enormous load of back-setting lore that doesnt play out into the main story of the film unless you know a good chunk of it.

without it it will be just a bunch of warframes shooting stuff half the movie with some mild exposition that is irrelevant to the game's world

Something intersting could be a movie about far past Lore, such as how the old War started, or other stuff that could be interesting to know about and will never happen ingame.

Making the movie around a specific Dax story, or the relation between Ballas and Sentients can be good.
The main problem about this is first, massive spoil for non/early warframe players and the movie may not include Warframes/Tennos which would be bad for a Warframe movie.

I think a better idea would either be more comics, or books. Either of those options have plenty of room to work with established lore and would be better suited to expand on what we know already. I'd be down for a novelization of TSD-Sacrifice quests. That'd be rad.

7 minutes ago, Pro3Display said:

The original Warframe story is pretty good, whats wrong with it? And it doesnt have to be the existing Warframe story. It can be something new. Starting with a tenno, her training, survival, struggle, finding new friends, fighting to live, getting to know warframes. Finding first pet!

Video Game movies have worked well, like... once? Maybe a handful of times?

I know a bunch of them are Pokémon too, so the same franchise - and even then not adaptations, they're original stories. And then you have stuff like the Mario movie, the Sonic Movie and the Resident Evil movies (please don't hurt my Monster Hunter Paul W.S Anderson...)

Video Games usually have pretty mundane stories just in the view of 'what happens', since so much of it is conveyed through Gameplay. Most of Halo:CE consists of wandering about the ring looking for stuff and shooting monsters that show up without too much aplomb. It's engaging because we're there. Warframes the same way. You losing your powers is more impactful than a separate being losing them, because you don't have the connection of having those powers - at least as a baseline. Obviously, there are films and TV shows that have done better 'losing powers stories' than games, but in general, games have the advantage in that regard.

There's a personal connection to games and game characters. Films can't replicate that, or at least not without immense skill from everyone involved. And Warframe especially puts a lot of focus on developing yourself, your playstyle, your powers. A lot of you that a movie can't have.

2 hours ago, MR9BCI said:

I would really like to watch a Warframe movie before I die. 

I think on the right hand, Warframe can turn into an excellent movie, a blockbuster with multiple sequels. It has every element to be an incredible sci-fi+action+adventure. OMG just thinking about it gives me the chills! Imagine the kind of story we can make and the kind of action we can blend into. 

If Digital Extreme cant afford to make one, we can organize a fund raiser. I, myself, would be happy to donate every cent I have saved so far. 

singularity_2_0_by_streetx222-d741maf.jp

Hate to burst your bubble, but the only reason most movies get made is because someone sees profit at the box office (outside of artsy indie releases, that only movie buffs care about).

And profits are only made through hype and popularity.

Warframe is a pretty niche game that many gamers haven't even heard of - nevermind the general public.

You'd struggle to get even one movie made and you can forget about any sequels, as they depend on the first one generating a lot of money.

Also, to be honest, I would like to see DE flesh out the game's lore quite a lot more, so that script writers would have a better chance of making a movie that made sense and would be less likely to have fans going, "well they screwed that up totally".

FWIW I think a good Warframe movie could be made (again with serious input from DE for Tennoverse lore). I even think you could get a decent trilogy out of it. There just aren't enough people who care about it for that to happen.

By way of contrast, Battletech has been around since the 1980s, has a detailed timeline and RIDICULOUS amounts of game lore...so much so, they published a large series of novels (not to mention a whole library of source books). I would also hazard a guess Battletech / MechWarrior has a lot more fans than Warframe.

Battletech could have at least as many movies made as the MCU, if not more. But because its still not a mainstream thing that will have widespread appeal, nobody has taken a serious interest in it. Though about 10 years ago Dean Devlin (the producer behind 8 Legged Freaks) did talk about getting a MechWarrior movie made.

Just to give you an idea what I'm talking about (in case you're not familiar with Battletech) here's the intro movie from the MechWarrior 4: Vengeance PC game. I think you can see the potential, given a proper script, cast, budget etc.