Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Massive toxicity on PS4

blaustein

I need to start by making clear that I've always been a huge fan of this community for being the second nicest gaming community ever (first being the dearly departed Marvel Heroes). I've been helped and helped back for well over four to five years, and I really hope I'll keep doing so for a while.

Recently, I've started a new game on PS4, to have a look at how the game feels from a newcomer's perspective. What I'm seeing there is insane. This nice, sometimes obnoxious but mostly great community, is a den of racist, sexist edgelords on PS4 chats. I've only ever seen something this bad with Black Desert Online, and I thought nothing could ever get this bad anywhere else. I can't repeat the stuff I've read during my 20-30 hours on PS4, but anyone with a brain should be ashamed by the rampant horror show going on over there, ESPECIALLY the developers, who are seemingly letting their community go to hell without doing anything. This can't POSSIBLY be the first they hear about it, the chat is so toxic I feel like I need a god damn silkwood shower. 

Please.

4 hours ago, blaustein said:

This nice, sometimes obnoxious but mostly great community, is a den of racist, sexist edgelords on PS4 chats.

Sometimes moderators cannot be online to deal with these types of posts.  If you see something that violates the rules and a moderator is not able to deal with it, please take a screenshot and send to support so that it can be dealt with.

Either I'm blind or you are frequenting the wrong chats and regions... I don't experience any of that.

I mean sure, there's toxicity here and there... But I seriously doubt Trade Chat and Region are that much worse than on other platforms. These hubs always had a timeless and universal fame of being nests of toxicity and salt. And at the times I do see region chat (because I re-installed the game/ reset settings/ whatever) I do see the mods doing their job sometimes. Even if I can't tell if they're there in a reliable way since the only times I interact with region are during the brief moments before going back to "options" and disabling it again.

There's also no context as to how you approached them. More often than not people who complain about toxicity in these forums tend to start a thread with something like "For the so-called vets/ OMG DE I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THIS!/ This game sucks/ Tired of NOOBS!/ Etc.". I'm just saying that it's very relative.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

4 hours ago, HellVOps said:

Your sure that the chat moderators were doing their job in that 20-30 hour play time on PS4? have you noticed any of that?

Honestly don't think that I've ever seen moderator intervention in region chat. 

I will vouch for the OP's assessment. Region chat is a putrid, festering mass. Trolls trying to convince newbs to do things, merrily bypassing the kickbot, being racist or sexist, you name it. 

Yes, we can put them on ignore, but the sheer numbers make it impractical. 

18 minutes ago, (XB1)R3d P01nt said:

Sometimes moderators cannot be online to deal with these types of posts.  If you see something that violates the rules and a moderator is not able to deal with it, please take a screenshot and send to support so that it can be dealt with.

Sounds great, but it's a right pain to do as far as I know.

Screenshot, copy to thumbstick, transfer to PC, report. And if the person was actually making the effort to do it regularly, then it would turn out to be an hours long video of region chat, being region chat. 

14 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

Either I'm blind or you are frequenting the wrong chats and regions... I don't experience any of that.

I mean sure, there's toxicity here and there... But I seriously doubt Trade Chat and Region are that much worse than on other platforms. These hubs always had a timeless and universal fame of being nests of toxicity and salt.

Sounds like you learned to turn a blind eye. That didn't stop it from existing. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, (PS4)guzmantt1977 said:

Honestly don't think that I've ever seen moderator intervention in region chat. 

I will vouch for the OP's assessment. Region chat is a putrid, festering mass. Trolls trying to convince newbs to do things, merrily bypassing the kickbot, being racist or sexist, you name it. 

Yes, we can put them on ignore, but the sheer numbers make it impractical. 

Sounds great, but it's a right pain to do as far as I know.

Screenshot, copy to thumbstick, transfer to PC, report. And if the person was actually making the effort to do it regularly, then it would turn out to be an hours long video of region chat, being region chat. 

Sounds like you learned to turn a blind eye. That didn't stop it from existing. 

Welp... If you do frequent it and agree with OP then I must concede that it's indeed bad. I can't say how much worse it may be than other platforms, but the whole moderator subject was always a hot topic in general. And both region and trade were always "questionable" chats for all platforms, hence my doubts about PS4 being the worst by far.

But still, even knowing that, it's a plague of unnecessary toxicity and that's why I honestly agree that a good swipe across all platforms and chats to set an example would not harm. It is the reason I avoid them, after all. Even if I do use Trade Chat, but as soon as someone is toxic they get sent to ignore. Even if that means losing a potential deal, since I refuse to fuel that attitude.

Edited by (PS4)Hikuro-93

49 minutes ago, (PS4)Hikuro-93 said:

Welp... If you do frequent it and agree with OP then I must concede that it's indeed bad. I can't say how much worse it may be than other platforms, but the whole moderator subject was always a hot topic in general. And both region and trade were always "questionable" chats for all platforms, hence my doubts about PS4 being the worst by far.

But still, even knowing that, it's a plague of unnecessary toxicity and that's why I honestly agree that a good swipe across all platforms and chats to set an example would not harm. It is the reason I avoid them, after all. Even if I do use Trade Chat, but as soon as someone is toxic they get sent to ignore. Even if that means losing a potential deal, since I refuse to fuel that attitude.

I can't speak to trade chat. Mine is always filtered, so I don't see what passes unless it has my most recent choice of terms to look for. Most of the time I've seen toxic behavior from trade it came in private communications after the initial contact. 

I accept that region is probably an issue across the board, but I'm pretty sure our effective lack of any human-mod intervention has made it particularly bad. (Well that and the fact that we are on the American chat servers, but that may just be cultural bias.) 

And I've seen screenshots of some of the ways that chat mods vastly overstep the bounds of reason, while "doing their thing" on other platforms, but I'd happily take some of that, if it would clean up the worst of region chat. 

That said, I admit that I personally usually favour more moderation, rather than less. I accept that it's a personal bias, and that a lot of people would rather it be more lax. 

• Like 1

https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200287100-How-to-deal-with-or-report-chat-spamming-and-other-offenses-

"If you notice users constantly spamming, using offensive language, harassing, or life-threatening against you or your friends, report them by right-click the user's name and select "Report Player" then select the appropiate catergory. Make sure to provide a public shared screenshot link of the chat and other details."

Report them to support: http://support.warframe.com/