Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Option to turn off auto-grabbing to the edges

Scar.brother.help.me

I just wish it was by default as it is now for everyone who thinks it is perfect right now. But to have an option to have it active only if you hold "action" or hold "jump" or just to be able to turn off that thing at all. May be it was needed long ago, but it just slows me down if it happens.

Edited by Scar.brother.help.me
  • Like 3

I proposed this 5 times now and still not even a single mention about changes. They were just having a chuckle on the stream.

Yesterday I had this twice while Adaro Focusfarm and it costs 10 seconds of the 45 seconds everytime your frame pulls this stupid animation. Even better if they grab the top of the doors/hallways, pull themselves against the wall and fall down :facepalm:

• Like 1

Adding to this... Just REMOVE hanging ledges, please. And for the love of god, what possible use did Orokin architecture have for giant rising blocks in the middle of their hallways? One of the draws for this game is supposed to be this amazing movement, the parkour system... And then you put things intentionally in the way of that movement. For some reason. Hitting your head on ledges is not fun. Sometimes it makes the architecture look pretty, but there are ways to do this with flat walls.

Also... Please, someone tell me there's at least a lore excuse for those ridiculous rising blocks.

12 minutes ago, Nssheepster said:

Adding to this... Just REMOVE hanging ledges, please. And for the love of god, what possible use did Orokin architecture have for giant rising blocks in the middle of their hallways? One of the draws for this game is supposed to be this amazing movement, the parkour system... And then you put things intentionally in the way of that movement. For some reason. Hitting your head on ledges is not fun. Sometimes it makes the architecture look pretty, but there are ways to do this with flat walls.

Also... Please, someone tell me there's at least a lore excuse for those ridiculous rising blocks.

Then use this amazing movement and parkour system to dodge them?

It makes the tileset more engaging and less brain dead than just keep bullet jumping till you reach the exist 

• Like 3

Dodge.... ledges?

Or did you mean the weird boxes? Because my issue with that is more that they specifically feel as if they are there to impede smooth movement. They don't actually seem to fit, at all, with what's around them.

Adding things to impede the player makes sense, at times. Making it really, really clear that's what you did, makes such things a bit more frustrating than what they otherwise would be.

• Like 1

As I've said many times before - the mechanic isn't the issue. Maps are. Look at Jupiter Remastered and tell me how many times you accidentally mantled a purely decorative ledge? I'm sure you might have found one or two somewhere, but the majority of the terrain is optimised for wall-running and wall-climbing. Even where ledges and ribs and columns and such exist on the wall, your Warframe simply sails past them with no interaction. I believe this is because DE draped simplified invisible walls over everything, so you're interacting with theoretically ideal geometry regardless of how detailed it appears.

What this means is that the proper fix for this issue is to retouch old tilesets and apply the same approach. Mantling isn't even the worst of it. Plenty of places have walls you can't run/climb along, weird ledges that stop bullet jumps and ribs above doorways that your Warframe will stand on. Old tilesets are not optimised for the current movement system. Disabling mechanics because they work badly sometimes isn't going to fix the broader issue.

• Like 2

The move you're referring to is called 'mantling'.  They do need to run a better flag on edges, as there's places you grab that you shouldn't, but it being automatic is great quality of life perk. It's been done as a player triggered action in other games, and became a slow point in the flow of movement, though the concept has always been hailed as a nice mobility tool.

As to the pop up blocks and such in Orokin maps - those are control and access panels. The area is under the control of a hostile Orokin AI, and it's doing everything it can to mess with your life. I imagine if there were low cupboards it would bark your shins with them if it could as well. :)

Edited by Xyngrr
typos

I wouldn't say we need an option to literally never ledge-grab, but in a movement-heavy game like this one, it's extremely silly that whenever we auto-grab a ledge, our only choices right now are to "climb the ledge" or "climb the ledge a bit more quickly". We need the ability to "cancel" an unwanted ledge grab.

Nearly every platformer I've played that has a ledge-grabbing feature also lets the player cancel it. Mirror's Edge lets you drop from ledge grabs by inputting a "downward" motion (i.e. Crouch), and Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy/Odyssey let you drop from ledge grabs by inputting a "backward" motion (i.e. simply moving away from ledge). Both methods are available in the Smash Bros series (although you can directly control your falling speed in that game, so that's where similarities kind of end). I think the most recent ledge-grabby platformer I've played that didn't have such a feature was... literally Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets in 2002.

For all the praise WF's movement system gets, there are many areas it could improve in. Ledge-grabbing is definitely one of them.

38 minutes ago, (PS4)chubbslawson said:

It sure seems like they put a lot of aggravating things that should not be happening in the game,I’m not the only one that thinks it

And you speak for them? Speak for yourself chubbs, we're not having this argument again. Everything seems to aggravate you.