Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Larvaling: The bad habit

AreeSoothsayer

When you have a Lich they spawn all those whisper guys. They drop to one knee, just like the Larvaling, and you immediately hit x to finish them, just like the larvaling, and move on.

You know it's a larvaling. You have to wait and look. Then the motion of dropping down and slumping triggers the "Press X now" habit from fighting over 60 Liches. Bam!!  ... crap what weapon did I just get?

There are a few threads on this right now. They boil down into one side saying "yeah, that happens, and it wouldn't hurt to fix it some way - hold to confirm, or let us undo a lich, etc." and the other side saying "you should learn from that mistake. git gud."

I'm in camp 1. But I agree - larvalings and thralls behave very similarly and hitting the button is understandable. It's even more so on consoles, where the "context action" is often on the same button as "reload." 

• Like 2

I feel like the Larvling itself was an ill-considered enemy - it's no secret that the idea of the Kuva Lich was based off of the Nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, and one of the core nuances of that was the idea that one of the rank-and-file could rise from nothing to become a real power among the enemy forces. From nobody to Nemesis. By definition, an enemy type uniquely slated to generate a Kuva Lich upon death cannot fill this role. The Larvling's role and presence are heralded by ominous fanfare, and you know exactly what the consequences of killing that specific generic Grineer in a Saturn Six prison outfit are going to be.

The Larvling, if we're still going to call it that at all, should distinctly be one of the rank-and-file Grineer. Use more than one model for them, or maybe apply the "status" of Kuva Larvling to a standard enemy in the cell where it spawns, a la an Eximus or a Thrall. The player should be given clues as to this enemy's identity, sure, so they'll still know what they're getting into - but the Larvling will blend in with the rest of their unit that much better, and feel like an actual grunt before their sudden rise to power. To add to this, maybe the future Lich's weapon should be indicated by the soldier's actual armament at the time of their death. Instead of that generic dude with a Karak becoming a Lich with a Kuva Ogris, maybe the Larvling could be an actual Bombard unit who wields the weapon by default. And assuming the player's been given enough information regarding the would-be Lich's appearance and the weapon they are wielding at the time, they'll know whether they want to opt into the Lich Loop long before that enemy is ever within finisher range.

If you want a failsafe: 

Unbind your execute key to something else that you rarely use. That way it takes you a few seconds to think before following your muscle memory and commit an action that is gonna waste 2-3 hours. 

It's what I have been doing since my muscle memory keeps making liches I dont want. 

9 hours ago, Nviaa said:

If you want a failsafe: 

Unbind your execute key to something else that you rarely use. That way it takes you a few seconds to think before following your muscle memory and commit an action that is gonna waste 2-3 hours. 

It's what I have been doing since my muscle memory keeps making liches I dont want. 

And then, you get used to the new button.

• Like 1

They should just add a 2FA and an email verification before we execute a larvling 🙄

Kidding aside, hold to mercy kill the larvling is probably the easiest solution for this, maybe they can also add a noticeable red glow over larvlings (think like those red glow voms in the Plains) just a visual reminder for us that this thing we're about to kill is a different enemy than others. The prompt for the weapon should also be immediate coz right now there's delay before it shows up that's why most people mistake the larvling for a thrall 🤷‍♀️

I mean I don't... personally get how this is an issue. Like you don't get thralls unless you have a lich, and if you're going for a larvling then there's not gonna be any thralls... Not to mention that you've probably gone into that mission specifically for spawning a larvling, and you get the specific warning when they show up in the form of the kuva guardian transmission.

Making them more visibly distinct wouldn't hurt though and making the weapon icon show up sooner would be nice. I'd much prefer them over another awkward button-hold.

Controllers have more problems with this bad habit of Larvling.
1. Less controller buttons.
2. Most controller players use context action to reload. When those players tries to reload while near Larvling, this may finish kill the Larvling.

The worst part is, there may be some controller bug where it might automatically kill Larvling or some action, when not pressing or touching the action button.

eh? i don't see a problem here. if you have a lich active, there won't be any larvlings, so no confusion here... if you playing mindlessly, that's just your own problem (as is playing with scripts that might cause such a problem). me, for one, i never accidently finishe off a larvling due to accidently hitting the use button - there are even multiple warnings that tells you that a larvling is coming and/or active, just pay more attention to it and all is fine.