Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Revised: Deferred Rendering Megathread

SilverBones

So feedback on Deferred Renderer. Its most obvious on POE, where there is more vegitation and direct sun to cast shadows. Its not as obvious on say fortuna or missions where the lighting is more reminiscent of fog like settings with ominous lighting. Did a few back to back comparisons on vallus to verify this with a few back to back images, which I am to lazy to upload now. I did make some video if anyone is interested.

unknown.png

Left is with deferred, right is without deferred. All on max settings.

my overclock crashed me too :sad:

Edited by Matheoryon

On the Corpus Jupiter tilesets, the gas machines are completely over burned/over saturated/over whatever you want, but it doesn't look good at all. And the depth of field doesn't seem fine too. (43 FPS due to Radeon Chill 30-60 range, not low performance)

unknown.png

I love this new rendering. It looks soooooo good on PoE and Vallis. But it seems to lack the same fidality in older tilesets. The void for eg does have much of the new lighting and there seems to be no character shadows in some tilesets. 

Plus, I noticed while scooped in, your character model is not rendered and the shadow disappears. 

• Like 1

Teplo synadana and Nikana Prime are transparent.

vlcsnap-2020-03-08-18hlkek.jpg

There's a broken LOD texture in the valis:

vlcsnap-2020-03-08-18gojmb.jpg

On 2020-03-03 at 7:09 AM, [DE]Bear said:

Why:
Graphics Matter Too - we have team members who thrive on integrating the latest graphics improvements to our technology! 

This isn't really relevant to the thread, but i kinda wanna hit on this point in particular.

Anisotropic Filtering in warframe has been borked for eons (i think there's a thread going back 2+ years that points out the exact same thing i'll be pointing out), and in a pretty significant way. 

I would like to make it known that it is still an issue such that i usually force AF through the drivers, but with this work around the perf. in plains and Valis is horrendous! (anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 perf drop with 8x and drivers texel size optimization on).

Warframes 8x:

warframe.x64_2020_02_r1kw2.jpg

vs.

Driver 8x:

warframe.x64_2020_02_5pky6.jpg

The clarity difference in a still image is significant, but as you run around the difference grows even more - with warframes implementation leaving surfaces looking like soup.

I do wonder if the game is even sampling at the rate shown? I think the in-game 8x looks closer to the 2x driver implementation. 

• Like 5

I feel like we're going to need a pass over everything in the game to change their materials. A lot of the colors seem to be faded on some surfaces or popping too much on others. On my syandana and frame, the same color for the metal material is now actually two different colors, the reflections on certain parts of my armor are unflattering as they are a stark contrast to my frame's reflections. As for the color, the game seems a bit indecisive on what it wants to do with certain colors, though that is probably just the lighting taking effect on them now where it didn't before.

TL;DR: Identical colors are appearing differently on materials that are the same.

2 hours ago, Jairoguy said:

Lights/emmisives that light up nearby objects are noisy looking, like tv static kinda.

Have you checked if that isn't the metals actually reflecting them? I noticed something similar in Wukong Prime and it was the metals reflecting all the lights.

I can't tell about performance degradation with Deferred Rendering on, as I have a Radeon video card and I use Radeon Chill with a 30-60fps range to limit the heat output of my video card. (it can get over 80°C without Chill enabled, and will stay around 72°C with Chill enabled).unknown.png

But I can definitely say that there's an actual load increase on my GPU, as before the update, with every settings maxed, it would stay at around 70°C on average, and reach 75°C in the open worlds. But now, it runs at 72°C on average and can reach in the range of 75-78°C in the open worlds. I think I've seen a GPU usage augmentation of around 10-20% depending on the scene. I can do some further bench marking and comparison if that's needed.

Just joined this thread. Anyone else suffering from this drastic color change on their Warframes? 

sHbxj7d.png

feMCZ3o.png

SKwu2pT.png

I can't tell if this is intentional or not, so I don't know if I can submit this as a bug. If it looks fine on your end (and nothing like these), please let me know what your display settings are and which DirectX you're using in your launcher settings.

Edited by ACESTHETIC
Formatting and clarification
  • Like 2

From a visual standpoint it obviously needs quite a bit of tweaking but the performance is stellar with the "Optimized Flip-Model" enabled on my mid-level machine, even better than original rendering. FPS suffered a very small drop but everything is much smoother now with less micro-stutter.

PC: Intel i5-3570, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, Win10

Graphics: 1920x1080, DX11, borderless windowed, everything maxed. AA, Vsync, FPS limit, DoF, Motion Blur and Screen Shake are disabled.

Edited by M0RGION

I'm trying the "Optimized Flip-Model" now that it has been patched (the colors would be blinking in magenta before), with Deferred. The overall experience seems very smooth with less stuttering, but right now I'm getting some pretty hardcore temperatures and usage on both my CPU and GPU. This is the result after 30 minutes of gameplay in the Plains of Eidolon with everything maxed out (no HDR):

unknown.png

Right now my GPU can almost reach 80°C, and that's with RADEON CHILL ENABLED (30-60FPS) to reduce the heat output. That's beyond my safety point. I wasn't much okay when my GPU was reaching 71°C on average when playing at Warframe, and I kinda agreed to push my safety point to 75°C with the addition of Deferred Rendering, but right now, it's turning my PC into the Pizza Heating build from LTT. I hope some performance improvement will happen soon, or I will be cooking bacon on my GPU.

• Like 1

i like it. I have a nicer Performance and it look rly nice.:clem:

But i need to take off the glossy option, it bugs on some surface so that it look like wet or glas stuff and it brings so much aliasing. I also push the bloom to 100% and play a bit with brightness and contrast.

d5de17-1583865996.jpg

I've played around with the Deferred Renderer for a while now. I've had no technical issues and no FPS drops that I've been able to detect. My system is running a GTX 1080 card, though with a fairly old i7 processor, so maybe that helps? The game has run at a solid 120 FPS indoors and I've not noticed much of a performance degradation outdoors, either.

The good:

Visually, I find the added reflections to damn near everything to be... Actually really, really cool. The reflections themselves are rarely readable as as to the objects they represent, but brightly-coloured objects will nevertheless leave a reflection on EVERYTHING. A friend of mine uses hot pink for everything he owns, and I can see shadows of his Warframe in evertyhing - walls, ceilings, little environment details, even a lot of places on my own Warframe. I have a cyan/teal glow on my melee weapon, and I can almost always see a soft off-blue tint in the specular highlights all over my armour. Anything bright in the scene will show up in every detail, and I personally think that's really cool. It lends everything a sense of verisimilitude, as all pieces of a scene appear to be impacted by all other pieces. Warframe honestly looked very "flat" and "matte" before, with a distinct "last gen" feel to it in a lot of places. Having that persistent blue glow on my sword leave blue highlights on everything is really, really nice.

The bad:

With that said, all of the game's tilesets will likely require a pass for material shaders. With the Deferred Renderer enabled, everything appears "slimy." The floors are slick and shiny, as though freshly mopped and still wet. Even on Grineer tilesets where the floors are actually rough, battered rusty metal, they still have a very strong metallic sheen. Corpus tilesets feel overwhelmingly "oily" all over the place, as well. I like having real-time reflections on everything, but I feel a lot of surfaces need to be made duller, with the reflections fuzzier and more blurred out. Bright white specular highlights also really need to be reigned in, because they're what makes items appear greasy and shiny when they shouldn't be. I assume that's just an issue of old textures not being properly adapted and I definitely don't want the reflections to go away. Just a lot of them need to be more diffused so as to simulate less reflective materials while still letting them pick up lighting and colouring from the environment.

The shadows:

I'll be honest, I haven't looked at the real-time shadows in Free Roam maps much. They're there, they work, they don't tank my framerate, but I also don't really care much about that, personally. I'm more interested in shadow-casting lights indoors. Right now, one of by far the biggest sources of "looks janky" in Warframe is that the static light maps in various tiles don't correspond to the dynamic lighting affecting our Warframes. Lights will come from the wrong side, rooms will be brightly lit while our Warframes are very dark and vice versa, rooms will have strong coloured lighting while our Warframes are white-balanced, etc. I look forward to more real-time lighting in the actual game.

On 2020-03-08 at 6:32 PM, MillbrookWest said:

Teplo synadana and Nikana Prime are transparent.

vlcsnap-2020-03-08-18hlkek.jpg

There's a broken LOD texture in the valis:

vlcsnap-2020-03-08-18gojmb.jpg

This isn't really relevant to the thread, but i kinda wanna hit on this point in particular.

Anisotropic Filtering in warframe has been borked for eons (i think there's a thread going back 2+ years that points out the exact same thing i'll be pointing out), and in a pretty significant way. 

I would like to make it known that it is still an issue such that i usually force AF through the drivers, but with this work around the perf. in plains and Valis is horrendous! (anywhere from 1/2 to 2/3 perf drop with 8x and drivers texel size optimization on).

Warframes 8x:

warframe.x64_2020_02_r1kw2.jpg

vs.

Driver 8x:

warframe.x64_2020_02_5pky6.jpg

The clarity difference in a still image is significant, but as you run around the difference grows even more - with warframes implementation leaving surfaces looking like soup.

I do wonder if the game is even sampling at the rate shown? I think the in-game 8x looks closer to the 2x driver implementation. 

This is Nvidia I assume? How do you set this up? It looks so good. Also any other settings I can use with nvidia to make it look better? 

On 2020-03-10 at 8:18 AM, Raitoning said:

I'm trying the "Optimized Flip-Model" now that it has been patched (the colors would be blinking in magenta before), with Deferred. The overall experience seems very smooth with less stuttering, but right now I'm getting some pretty hardcore temperatures and usage on both my CPU and GPU. This is the result after 30 minutes of gameplay in the Plains of Eidolon with everything maxed out (no HDR):

unknown.png

Right now my GPU can almost reach 80°C, and that's with RADEON CHILL ENABLED (30-60FPS) to reduce the heat output. That's beyond my safety point. I wasn't much okay when my GPU was reaching 71°C on average when playing at Warframe, and I kinda agreed to push my safety point to 75°C with the addition of Deferred Rendering, but right now, it's turning my PC into the Pizza Heating build from LTT. I hope some performance improvement will happen soon, or I will be cooking bacon on my GPU.

80° is fine. That's actually quite low for a gpu under stress.