Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PSA: Steam Input Changes

[DE]SpaceySarah

Hi Sarah,

I appreciate that the team has taken into consideration the feedback and concerns. If you can, could you go into a bit more detail as to what parts of Steam Input were intended to be removed? The term Steam Input is an umbrella term that encompasses several different features of varying importance. My initial assumption was that the intent was simply to cut the deeper Steam Input API out in order to remove the labeled action bindings, but the steps listed in the original post completely disabling Steam Input altogether, meaning the Steam Controller and, unless somehow handled by Warframe itself, all other controller inputs would not be handled by Steam Input at all. My assessment is that since Warframe is also available standalone, the intent was to phase out Steam Input in favor of the API used for the standalone release, but I'd like to have a better picture of where you guys were coming from.

I use Dualshock 4, in either USB or in wireless Bluetooth mode. Dualshock 4 can fit more actions with touchpad, then what the xbox controller can do.

First time setup: Steam, settings, controller, PlayStation configuration support. If going for wired, just plug in USB. For wireless, if computer don't have built-in bluetooth, most USB bluetooth works. First time setup just hold down Share+PS button until it starts blinking, and go to bluetooth settings to add device. Re-pair controller to PC may require remove bluetooth controller device to retry. To turn off controller, hold down PS button for 15 seconds. If controller turns off seconds after it turns on, it probably need to charge, plug in USB for about 3 hours.

The changes I like to see to steam input is:
1. Add Railjack control tabs and all the actions for it. Edit: Also add a railjack afterburner mode, I shouldn't have to use keyboard Shift button to use afterburner turbo speed mode.

2. Remove Melee tab and share the game/weapon controls.

3. Add some actions:
Heavy attack - switch to melee and heavy attack.
Secondary fire - Switch to weapon gun, and secondary fire.
Secondary fire / heavy melee - If holding a melee, do heavy melee. If holding a gun, do secondary action.

4. Make reload button, actually reload gun after using melee. After using melee, I shouldn't have to take my time pressing the switch weapon first then reload.

Am 9.9.2020 um 19:27 schrieb oldversions:

Ah Steam controller... you had such potential. RIP

The "real" Steam controller was great. Sadly they created downgraded replicas with far worse hardware for their sales. A friend of mine has the fully priced controller, I have the one from the sale. While Steam afaik never officially confirmed creating a worse version, it's instantly noticeable if you compare them next to each other. You get what you pay for, but doing it behind the customers back tanked the reviews for it. Well deserved if I may add. The sale version had a touch pad so inaccurate that many ARPGs or Shooters are unplayable.

On 2020-09-14 at 2:46 PM, [DE]SpaceySarah said:

Hi Tenno!

Thank you for your understanding regarding the upcoming changes to the Steam Input layer. Having read your feedback and concerns, and looking further at the technical details involved in removing Steam Input support, we have decided to postpone (and depending on what we learn, cancel) plans to remove Steam Input support as we look into ways that we can better improve and optimize support for the entire controller ecosystem.

We will update this thread when these exact improvements are confirmed. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thank you.

I tried playing Warframe with Steam Controller but bloat of action sets and forced controller navigation in menus killed my motivation to figure out a proper config. No wonder it caused players' confusion when you have two separate configs for guns and melee.

On 2020-09-09 at 1:46 PM, German said:

So I won't be able to type with a controller and on-screen keyboard anymore? That's not great...

Actually you can force a keyboard open in nearly anything that's running the BPM overlay with steam+Back (or select, I dunno, whatever we call that button) This also will open a small BPM keyboard window on desktop, try it out!

On 2020-09-09 at 2:03 PM, Ghostcart said:

DE, Please make sure to keep the game set up so that gamepad and kb+m inputs will work at the same time.
It'll keep controller support in a pretty good state!

This comment is paramount to not screwing up people using SC's specifically, I suppose people using traditional analog sticks it may not be a prob as much but this will heavily screw SC users if changed.

Hi Tenno!

Thank you for your understanding regarding the upcoming changes to the Steam Input layer. Having read your feedback and concerns, and looking further at the technical details involved in removing Steam Input support, we have decided to postpone (and depending on what we learn, cancel) plans to remove Steam Input support as we look into ways that we can better improve and optimize support for the entire controller ecosystem.

We will update this thread when these exact improvements are confirmed. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks for listening Sarah, much appreciated. I hope you can improve it. If you guys need any input be sure to ask, there's a few of us out there that I'm sure could have some insight. I know off the top of my head, just a few things that do need fixed/tweaked/considered, here's a few:

A) I recently made a work around to fix this, but the Steam Action, that should be firing Archwing's blink (and I think Archwing Down also) is not working on blink, I believe that action is called something like "Crouch Slide & Roll" or something if I'm not mistaken. If it helps you track it down any, this started occurring around the time you guys had put in archwing blink, and had issues with it on pads, then you had removed support for it temporarily, then hotfixed a "fix" to it, this actually worked right, on the steam input the first time, it was the hotfix that broke this for us.

B) Nothing seems to be able to fire off the special Railjack actions in the ability menu, I actually created a workaround to this too, but a properly polished functioning way wouldn't hurt, though, I'd probably have to keep my workaround anyway as I use the dpad for more than 'just' a dpad haha.

C) Consideration for addition but also fixes some breakage: Add a Steam Action set for Railjack. Currently Railjack uses some of the actions from sets properly, but not entirely. I haven't tried railjack this way in a while, so I can't remember everything that's wrong with it though. I am pretty sure there's a breakage on there though, iirc there's something that makes the wrong action set come into play and locks controller function out until something else forces an action set to change (have to usually press escape on the keyboard twice to get in and out of the menu I think.) Off the top of my head, I believe it's attempting to leave the pilot seat (and maybe gunner too, not sure)

D) Just an addition that might be handy, and keep in mind I have no idea how these work on their respective consoles: While I like the SC and it's discontinued and there's some amazing tricks you can pull off with it, like most developers except for the mouse thing, DE has mostly stuck to basic Xinput stuff on the SC's default pad layout. However, the Switch, Xbox and PS4 pads aren't going anywhere. While Xbox is fairly generic, PS4 and Switch have a couple odd ball things you could make work out the gate for people by default. In Switch's case, gyro aiming, in PS4's case, the touch pad. I know Switch uses the gyro to some extent, not sure if PS4 uses the touchpad on the actual console, but hey, if it does, you could make it work for something, or just slap something useful in there, who knows.

Hi Tenno!

I'm surprised that plans has changed, hopefully, the feedback here (and maybe re-reading the Steam Input document again since things has changed a lot) should help you out

Alternatively, if Steam Input API is indeed going to be removed by the end of the day, Updating Simultaneous Controller+Keyboard/Mouse is a good workaround for Steam Controller and Gyro Aiming folks who relies on Steam Input Gamepad Emulation/Controller Configurator.

On 2020-09-16 at 6:55 PM, Drex83 said:

D) Just an addition that might be handy, and keep in mind I have no idea how these work on their respective consoles: While I like the SC and it's discontinued and there's some amazing tricks you can pull off with it, like most developers except for the mouse thing, DE has mostly stuck to basic Xinput stuff on the SC's default pad layout. However, the Switch, Xbox and PS4 pads aren't going anywhere. While Xbox is fairly generic, PS4 and Switch have a couple odd ball things you could make work out the gate for people by default. In Switch's case, gyro aiming, in PS4's case, the touch pad. I know Switch uses the gyro to some extent, not sure if PS4 uses the touchpad on the actual console, but hey, if it does, you could make it work for something, or just slap something useful in there, who knows.

Two things that needs additional info:

1. The DualShock 4 (and to a extend, The DualSense) shares the same Gyro capability as Nintendo Switch Controllers. (Video Related) However, the PS4 Version doesn't support Gyro Aiming, yet.
2. the PS4 Version of Warframe take advantage of the DualShock 4's Touchpad ever since it first launch. Currently, Steam Controller Configurator doesn't offer Gesture Swipe as a option (...yet) but other Input Mappers (such as DS4Windows) does allow you to do that.

On 2020-09-14 at 4:56 PM, JustinWood said:

Hi Sarah,

I appreciate that the team has taken into consideration the feedback and concerns. If you can, could you go into a bit more detail as to what parts of Steam Input were intended to be removed? The term Steam Input is an umbrella term that encompasses several different features of varying importance. My initial assumption was that the intent was simply to cut the deeper Steam Input API out in order to remove the labeled action bindings, but the steps listed in the original post completely disabling Steam Input altogether, meaning the Steam Controller and, unless somehow handled by Warframe itself, all other controller inputs would not be handled by Steam Input at all. My assessment is that since Warframe is also available standalone, the intent was to phase out Steam Input in favor of the API used for the standalone release, but I'd like to have a better picture of where you guys were coming from.

First off here's a Steam Controller/Input Panel from Steam Dev Days 2016 that goes into detail on how Steam Input API (not to be confused with Steam Controller Configurator/Steam Input Gamepad Emulator) works. Alternatively, you can read the documents on Steamworks.

But to answer your actual question; They simply want to remove one of Warframe's Controller Input Libraries (Steam Input API, specifically) because Steam Controller is discontinued...

The problem is, Steam Input API isn't an Input Library exclusive to Steam Controller, since it handles various Controllers (including the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and future controllers) by relying on "In-Game Actions" instead of Button Inputs, Steam Controller Configurator will do the heavy lifting. 

However, as I already pointed out in my first reply (and Kefirno's reply), the Native implementation of Steam Input API is outdated and needs a major overhauls since Warframe often gets major gameplay features.

12 hours ago, Al-chan said:

First off here's a Steam Controller/Input Panel from Steam Dev Days 2016 that goes into detail on how Steam Input API (not to be confused with Steam Controller Configurator/Steam Input Gamepad Emulator) works. Alternatively, you can read the documents on Steamworks.

But to answer your actual question; They simply want to remove one of Warframe's Controller Input Libraries (Steam Input API, specifically) because Steam Controller is discontinued...

The problem is, Steam Input API isn't an Input Library exclusive to Steam Controller, since it handles various Controllers (including the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller and future controllers) by relying on "In-Game Actions" instead of Button Inputs, Steam Controller Configurator will do the heavy lifting. 

However, as I already pointed out in my first reply (and Kefirno's reply), the Native implementation of Steam Input API is outdated and needs a major overhauls since Warframe often gets major gameplay features.

Not at all what I asked. I'm fully aware of what SIAPI is capable of, however based on the original post, it sounds like the intent was to completely remove all communication of controller input through Steam, since what was being done was disabling Steam Input entirely, including the SCC. I simply want to know if that was the intent, or if they had something else in mind, and I'm hoping we'll get a response sooner than later.

Just to ensure there's no lost communication, the instructions I'm referring to are as follows.

To prepare for this upcoming reset ahead of time, please complete the following steps to opt-out of Steam Input:

1. Under the Steam Library, right click on Warframe and select Properties.
  2. Under the "General" tab, open the drop-down under "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" and select "Forced Off".
  3. Restart the game if it is currently running.

1 hour ago, JustinWood said:

Not at all what I asked. I'm fully aware of what SIAPI is capable of, however based on the original post, it sounds like the intent was to completely remove all communication of controller input through Steam, since what was being done was disabling Steam Input entirely, including the SCC. I simply want to know if that was the intent, or if they had something else in mind, and I'm hoping we'll get a response sooner than later.

Just to ensure there's no lost communication, the instructions I'm referring to are as follows.

To prepare for this upcoming reset ahead of time, please complete the following steps to opt-out of Steam Input:

1. Under the Steam Library, right click on Warframe and select Properties.
  2. Under the "General" tab, open the drop-down under "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" and select "Forced Off".
  3. Restart the game if it is currently running.

Oh, that. To make it easier, I'm going to separate Steam Input API and Steam Controller Configurator (or, "Steam Input Gamepad Emulation") for this one. you can check the [General Concepts] link within Steam Input Documentary for more info.

Turning off Steam Input completely (or Per-Game) will not use Steam Controller Configurator nor Steam Input Native/API mode (if the game uses it). It'll instead default to XInput or Native DS4 Mode in-game like how the majority of PC games does. For those who use DualShock 4 (pre-2013 or doesn't support it) or Nintendo Switch Controllers will have to rely on Input Mappers since both are DirectInput Controllers.

If Steam Input is left on and a game doesn't use Steam Input API features (either as a Glyph/Button Icon Passthru or use In-Game Actions), Steam Controller Configurator will essentially act as Input Mapper/Wrapper, like how most Input Mappers does.

Unless you or the game want/take FULL advantage of certain Controller's Features (like DualShock 4's Gyro/Accelerometer, Touchpad or Light Bar) or switches Button Prompt accordingly (some of the newer games don't even offer an option to manually switch Glyphs/Button Icons by the end-user unless you download a mod for it.), you DON'T really need to turn off Steam Controller Configurator completely.

If it wasn't for DE postponing the removal of Steam Input API, Steam Controller Configurator would've defaulted to Legacy Mode by now.

On 2020-09-14 at 4:56 PM, JustinWood said:

Hi Sarah,

Yeah, the general idea was that we'd eliminate our action sets and code support and hoped that players would fall back to our XInput layer instead and live happily ever after. Sadly, that wouldn't be the case, as we can't opt players out of their existing configurations, so it would instead leave them with buttons that do nothing, which we definitely don't want.

As far as where we were coming from, XInput, for most players, should be equally able to handle controller input versus what Steam Input offers. In some cases, the support would be better simply because XInput works in practically perfect parity with console controllers-- if we get it working on consoles, so will PC controllers using XInput, generally speaking. That's not the case for Steam Input, unfortunately, as the paradigm of actions instead of buttons requires special treatment. The number of technical issues specific to Steam Input paired with the very small (but passionate!) fraction of players that use it meaningfully made it difficult to justify against the support required by all facets of the development, testing, and support team to create and maintain functionality for it.

Ultimately, we have seen some value in maintaining it, as we don't have a simple solution for players who want to use hardware and features that XInput doesn't support out of the box, so we hope to find a way to integrate it a little more cleanly so that we can trust it to keep working as development on the game continues.

4 hours ago, [DE]Jengerer said:

Yeah, the general idea was that we'd eliminate our action sets and code support and hoped that players would fall back to our XInput layer instead and live happily ever after. Sadly, that wouldn't be the case, as we can't opt players out of their existing configurations, so it would instead leave them with buttons that do nothing, which we definitely don't want.

As far as where we were coming from, XInput, for most players, should be equally able to handle controller input versus what Steam Input offers. In some cases, the support would be better simply because XInput works in practically perfect parity with console controllers-- if we get it working on consoles, so will PC controllers using XInput, generally speaking. That's not the case for Steam Input, unfortunately, as the paradigm of actions instead of buttons requires special treatment. The number of technical issues specific to Steam Input paired with the very small (but passionate!) fraction of players that use it meaningfully made it difficult to justify against the support required by all facets of the development, testing, and support team to create and maintain functionality for it.

Ultimately, we have seen some value in maintaining it, as we don't have a simple solution for players who want to use hardware and features that XInput doesn't support out of the box, so we hope to find a way to integrate it a little more cleanly so that we can trust it to keep working as development on the game continues.

XInput works in "practically perfect parity" with Xbox Controllers, not all console controllers.

If you watch the Panel or read the documents, (in laymen terms) [Steam Input API]'s Native Mode relies on In-Game Actions instead of Controller Inputs. which means, Steam's Controller Configurator will be doing the heavy-lifting, complete with Glyphs. This is one of the ways to allow support for Various Controllers (such as DualShock 4, Nintendo Switch Controllers and maybe future controllers such as DS5's DualSense Controller) without having to manually add an Input Library for a Specific Controller.

I do know that some of the Valve employees who dabbles in Steam Input are on Steam Controller Discord channel, maybe they can give some insights/feedbcak?

You can still use Steam Controller Configurator without Steam Input's Native Mode (in fact, you can make Steam Input API to only change Button Icon Display based on Controller Model while still being XInput. Some games like Yakuza 0/Kiwami/Kiwami 2 and Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy take that approach.), and it'll functions like any Input Mappers ever, we'll call it; "Legacy Mode".

Thankfully, Warframe does allow you to manually switch Button Icon Displays no problem, that's the start. Now we need expanded Simultaneously Controller+Keyboard/Mouse support. 

Considering the current Steam Input Implementation and Warframe's current gameplay system, I think it's better to forgo with a different method of maintaining Steam Input API by taking some notes from No Man's Sky (a game that often overhauls as much as Warframe but their Steam Input Implementation is very robust and it's very Future-proof friendly) or Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered (Even recorded a video between Steam Controller and DualShock 4)'s very own SIAPI implementation.

For example: Since Warframe players started relying on Vehicles/Archwing for Open-World areas like Fortuna or Heart of Deimos, it would make sense to have both Vehicle Action Sets (one for K-Drive or equivalent, and another for Archwing) as a way to future-proof gameplay additions...unless it uses a completely different gameplay system like Railjack.

Otherwise, I'll have to make a Action Layer for Vehicles since they're tied to both [Game] and [Melee Mode].

Hopefully, you'll understand why there isn't a proper Standardized Controller API yet...well, JoyShockLibrary is closer to that department as it support DualShock 4 & Nintendo Switch Controllers. Not to mention, it's Open-Source.

24 minutes ago, Al-chan said:

XInput works in "practically perfect parity" with Xbox Controllers, not all console controllers.

Right, I meant parity more-so with regards to what we need to do from our end to support it, in that there's generally one "vector" of engineering effort needed to make a new system work on all supported consoles as well as XInput controllers (taking for granted that most players can map their controller to it), whereas Steam Input requires its own effort for what ends up being a fairly miniscule fraction of our PC controller players. We'll definitely be looking at whether we can make this better in the future (with the added challenge of not breaking bindings for currently established layouts, oh boy), I just wanted to chime in on some of the tradeoffs and practical difficulties that we'll have to overcome.

47 minutes ago, [DE]Jengerer said:

Right, I meant parity more-so with regards to what we need to do from our end to support it, in that there's generally one "vector" of engineering effort needed to make a new system work on all supported consoles as well as XInput controllers (taking for granted that most players can map their controller to it), whereas Steam Input requires its own effort for what ends up being a fairly miniscule fraction of our PC controller players. We'll definitely be looking at whether we can make this better in the future (with the added challenge of not breaking bindings for currently established layouts, oh boy), I just wanted to chime in on some of the tradeoffs and practical difficulties that we'll have to overcome.

Well, I wish you the best of luck. :) 

Hopefully, you'd get some help from both Valve and the Community.

• 3 weeks later...

On 2020-09-18 at 4:58 PM, [DE]Jengerer said:

Sounds good to me. Has DE taken a look at LibSDL recently ( see: https://www.libsdl.org/ ). libSDL Version 2.0 drastically simplified console controller support on windows by providing an input layer very similar to X-Input. A few of the Currently supported types are below....

• XBox 360 - I actually prefer this since I use an old wired Xbox 360 controller most of the time.
  • Xbox One
  • Playstation 3
  • Playstation 4
  • Nintendo Switch Controllers - Joycons, Pro Controllers, and some of the generics.

I should also mention that the LibSDL2 layer can be used to speed up the console support path by essentially having an abstraction layer on the PC that will simulate the console code used by either Xbox One, Playstation 4 or Nintendo Switch.

• 1 month later...

But I still use the Steam Controller in Warframe, it's the only way I can play it comfortably. When one of my SCs buttons stopped working I tried going back to keyboard and mouse and I was like a newborn cow flopping around. Ah well, hopefully I can manage a config that works as good as my old one. I'm guessing pulling out a melee weapon won't change to a melee config, and opening a menu won't change to a menu config anymore. R.I.P.

I just wanted to chime in and say that it may be worth it to do the same Psyonix did with Rocket League but the other way around. In Rocket League there are two dev-set configs available, Rocket League and Rocket League (Legacy). Selecting the normal Rocket League preset, which is also the default enables the full Steam Input experience with actions, selecting the Legacy one gives you the normal Xinput experience.

Maybe Warframe can adopt a similar model so new users aren't intimidated by Steam Input yet it stays an option for those who are willing to dig-in?

Am not a Steam Input user (I play vanilla Warframe to spare some power on my computer), however, after years of fighting for my controller config (I play since 2013), I lately found myself hesitating to switch onto it.

Main reasons I want to is the impossibility to select 5th ability with controller without using ability menu in necramech, the fact that we can't remap ability menu, the problem with archwing config (ability menu prevent me from using secondary fire) etc, plus steam input seems to support combo mapping, not like the ability menu which can feel handicapping (can't melee while in ability menu etc).

Also, I hopped I would do without Steam Input to be able to export my controller config on Switch when one day maybe crossplay will be here and I would be able to play with friends while long travels.

Started looking how to do my Steam Input config to bypass the in-game controller mapping limitations, and found this thread, which made me really sad. Now I don't know if I should set up a Steam Input config or if I should stay with my limitated mapping and play with controller and keyboard as any player who don't want to use ability menu has to.

Another thing is that the action set we can put on controller buttons feel very restrained compared  to freedom on keyboard. For my part, I am planning to put combos to refer to keyboard inputs in Steam Input...

On 2020-11-24 at 9:13 AM, DARKYPANTHER said:

Am not a Steam Input user (I play vanilla Warframe to spare some power on my computer), however, after years of fighting for my controller config (I play since 2013), I lately found myself hesitating to switch onto it.

Main reasons I want to is the impossibility to select 5th ability with controller without using ability menu in necramech, the fact that we can't remap ability menu, the problem with archwing config (ability menu prevent me from using secondary fire) etc, plus steam input seems to support combo mapping, not like the ability menu which can feel handicapping (can't melee while in ability menu etc).

Also, I hopped I would do without Steam Input to be able to export my controller config on Switch when one day maybe crossplay will be here and I would be able to play with friends while long travels.

Started looking how to do my Steam Input config to bypass the in-game controller mapping limitations, and found this thread, which made me really sad. Now I don't know if I should set up a Steam Input config or if I should stay with my limitated mapping and play with controller and keyboard as any player who don't want to use ability menu has to.

Another thing is that the action set we can put on controller buttons feel very restrained compared  to freedom on keyboard. For my part, I am planning to put combos to refer to keyboard inputs in Steam Input...

Here:

" Ability Menu "

For anyone who comes across this who uses a controller, and is having an issue with the fact you can not directly unbind the Ability Menu, go to you normal controls section, and rebind "Activate Selected Power".

This will in-directly unbind Ability Menu from the Ability Menu section, and solve all of your archwing problems.

On 2020-12-01 at 8:12 PM, ZurekMorraff said:

Here:

" Ability Menu "

For anyone who comes across this who uses a controller, and is having an issue with the fact you can not directly unbind the Ability Menu, go to you normal controls section, and rebind "Activate Selected Power".

This will in-directly unbind Ability Menu from the Ability Menu section, and solve all of your archwing problems.

Its what I mostly use in fact, but it will give you some other issues sadly since Empyrean released, directly related to how Railjack handles nested menu and the Railjack abilities. Also, you won't have any way of switching to and from Tenno mode if you use abilities since we don't have a Tenno UI button for the Necramech yet; so just keep that in mind.  Fishing will also be problematic, requiring the use of a keyboard for that in my case.

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to thank devs for postponing/cancelling this and add my two cents of feedback.

For me Steam Input is the only way I can play Warframe. I cannot use a mouse due to a medical issue, controller is the only way I can play. Steam Input is the only configurator which works without any issues on Linux (which is my main OS) and allows for enough customizability to make Warframe playable. I have highly customized profile for myself which mixes gyro aiming keyboard and controller mappings to make playing warframe possible for me and even enjoyable (does take a bit of time though to figure out proper mappings when new stuff is added or when I unlock it, looking at arch/blink...).

I tried going with alternative solutions, nothing really works. If steam input is removed, I'll physically lose ability to play.

Archived