Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Mission End Screen Is Still Awkward And Inconvenient

BornWithTeeth

Just to be absolutely one hundred million percent clear about this upfront: this is not about which mission information gets displayed or how it's arranged. This is not at all, in any way, about the content of the new mission end screen. 

It is about getting out of the mission report screen. Because every single time I finish a mission now, I'm left staring at the report screen, tapping my 'Esc' key for up to five seconds just to return to being in my Orbiter, in control. The way the new mission report screen works is that it loads up, and then it seems to just pause, waiting for further instruction, and I always, always have to hammer several buttons just to make it go away.

So, from my perspective, you have replaced a loading screen with a different loading screen, except the new and improved version is one which is excruciatingly slow, does not display any more relevant information, and which I have to ask (repeatedly!) to be released from, instead of just loading back into my Orbiter.

Again: I do not care about the layout, the appearance, the data display, any of it. At all. I care that the new mission report screen is an extra buffer which feels like it is holding me hostage between missions, because it does not automatically end, and I have to hit the 'Esc' key or the EXIT button several times before it lets go of my damned computer.

9 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

It is about getting out of the mission report screen. Because every single time I finish a mission now, I'm left staring at the report screen, tapping my 'Esc' key for up to five seconds just to return to being in my Orbiter, in control. The way the new mission report screen works is that it loads up, and then it seems to just pause, waiting for further instruction, and I always, always have to hammer several buttons just to make it go away.

ESC button will not work if you are in a loading screen. The upper left hand corner should tell you when you are actually able to press ESC to exit the screen.

This isn't anything new. Old UI also had this, except you could it was a loading screen more easily (You could see your landing craft and all).

If the long load times feels significant, this may be an issue with "The Great Ensmallening Phase 1" changes to texture compression, because those were directly involved in reducing load times, but some bugs had increased the load times for some players, and not an issue with the new UI.

(This should be in the "Performance" section)

5 minutes ago, Aadi880 said:

ESC button will not work if you are in a loading screen. The upper left hand corner should tell you when you are actually able to press ESC to exit the screen.

This isn't anything new. Old UI also had this, except you could it was a loading screen more easily (You could see your landing craft and all).

If the long load times feels significant, this may be an issue with "The Great Ensmallening Phase 1" changes to texture compression, because those were directly involved in reducing load times, but some bugs had increased the load times for some players, and not an issue with the new UI.

It's not just about performance. It's that the mission result screen sticks around until I ask it several times to let go, regardless of whether the corner UI has blinked in or not.

5 hours ago, BornWithTeeth said:

this is not about which mission information gets displayed or how it's arranged. This is not at all, in any way, about the content of the new mission end screen. 

dV3CbPD.jpg

Really? Because I despise the hot mess seen here, and I want the old mid/post-mission UI back now. We went from clear and concise data, displayed immediately; to a space-wasting, unpleasant, haphazard pile of rubbish which forces us to go through yet more of the cancerously-spreading hidden menu B.S. that DE's developed a fetish for.

Zero information on my player accuracy, or even kill information other than number; and it doesn't even show us how much damage we took total out of the whole squad. And believe it or not I LIKED HAVING THAT INFORMATION IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE, AND TENDED TO ADJUST MY BUILDS BASED OFF OF IT.

That said, it doesn't surprise me that DE's latest abomination of "ReMoDeLeD" UI can't even be closed correctly; with the abundantly and obviously poor menu layout here, it figures that they'd even mess up its coding.

After trying the thing again, I think I might have an idea of why it behaves the way it does. I always have to hit Esc at least twice to get out of it, even if I wait until well after it's finished loading, and the same with the Exit button: I always have to click twice before it registers and closes the screen.

The mission report screen behaves like it has to be told twice to close, and I wonder if that's because by default it stays in a sort of holding pattern/pseudo screensaver, where you have to enter a command first to 'wake' it and make it ready for a further command. Hence, always having to hit Esc at least twice, or having to mouse over and click multiple times on the Exit button (once to activate the screen so that it will be ready to accept the command, and then again to actually press the button.)

If that's how it works then, uh, very simple question. Why, for God's sake?

13 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

It's not a loading screen. Spacebar also serves as a skip function (see the equally useless camera thievery in fishing and mining). If you hammer the spacebar, you can actually hear your frame jumping because the game has already loaded the "main menu" and is ready to accept input.

EDIT: and just to make my view clear, I hate the new end of mission screen in the same way that I hate all the crap that DE keeps adding whose sole purpose is to get in my way. I'm still convinced that someone there hates Tencent (or Leyou, it's been going on for quite a while) and is trying to quietly sabotage the game so that it can lose its playerbase and get DE bankrupt so that they can be free again.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2020-09-30 at 6:58 PM, BornWithTeeth said:

After trying the thing again, I think I might have an idea of why it behaves the way it does. I always have to hit Esc at least twice to get out of it, even if I wait until well after it's finished loading, and the same with the Exit button: I always have to click twice before it registers and closes the screen.

The mission report screen behaves like it has to be told twice to close, and I wonder if that's because by default it stays in a sort of holding pattern/pseudo screensaver, where you have to enter a command first to 'wake' it and make it ready for a further command. Hence, always having to hit Esc at least twice, or having to mouse over and click multiple times on the Exit button (once to activate the screen so that it will be ready to accept the command, and then again to actually press the button.)

If that's how it works then, uh, very simple question. Why, for God's sake?

Another "more clicks" issue I noticed is that if I hover the mouse over my own profile in a team (it's rare but it happens) it no longer automatically drops down the menu that includes the "leave team" option.  I have to directly click.  Yeah, it's only one extra click... for that single action.  As others have noted, a LOT of actions require extra steps for no real reason, and it all adds up.  :(

Who the hell even asked for a redesign of the mission summary screen?  Was it us, the players or some sadistic fck at DE?

Highlight player's opened crate count?  Have both equipment affinity and syndicate standing gains crammed in one section? Leave half of the screen blank for better viewing of the unnecessary frame posing in the background?

This fits perfectly for whoever decided this was a good idea:

fad5c25606915bc7a82746ef1ca78dd9.jpg

For me, the EXIT button is usually "hidden" until I get the mouse cursor to show up, then I have to find EXIT button. Why I am not using ESC? Because usually I use loading screen to eat or drink something, so the hand on my keyboard is used for that, so I use mouse more often. But it gets really bothersome, when I can't even find EXIT button...

• 1 month later...

Really wondering how many threads about the poor implementation of ideas that were bad in the first place it takes for DE to finally listen, ACTUALLY READ, and fix something.

How many categories have I cross-posted or joined threads on now? How long are you all at the company just going to keep letting problems compound?

The main site still makes the bold claim of their being 50 million players, and I honestly seriously doubt the veracity of that number now.

The asinine changes of this year managed to finally drive me off. I haven't played for weeks. I sincerely doubt I am the only person who's had enough, and left their account in indefinite hiatus until we have something that's an actual game again.

Archived