Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Naberus story totally should have been narrated by daughter

Oreades

I mean it's like her thing, she even has a costume for the event which is an asset which could have been leveraged for the story..... and then it's just Grandmother being sorta monotone. Maybe she was emotive, I just don't really recall it if she was. 

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I mean, it's a spooky bedtime story. It's traditional for a parental figure to tell it, and well, I don't think the actual parents are really up to the task.

It could have been a spooly bedtime story but the problem is it wasn't, unfortunately instead of shining it was just sorta milquetoast

Instead of ending up bland they could have shot for spooky campfire story and again who better for that than the character for whom they portrayed as being big into Nabaris. The character who (again) actually has a special outfit/costume because they are big into Nabaris. Who would be stoked to tell the story of Nabaris. 

It just felt like we got a Goosebumps recounting of a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark story. It had the potential to be spoopy but it was conveyed in such an unspoopy manner.

Edit:

Just to be clear I don't think it was an issue with the VA for Grandmother nor Grandmother as a character. Just that Grandmother the character was not the best fit for optimal spoop in this particular instance. 

1 minute ago, Oreades said:

It could have been a spooly bedtime story but the problem is it wasn't, unfortunately instead of shining it was just sorta milquetoast

Instead of ending up bland they could have shot for spooky campfire story and again who better for that than the character for whom they portrayed as being big into Nabaris. The character who (again) actually has a special outfit/costume because they are big into Nabaris. Who would be stoked to tell the story of Nabaris. 

It just felt like we got a Goosebumps recounting of a Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark story. It had the potential to be spoopy but it was conveyed in such an unspoopy manner.

I liked it and felt it was plenty spooky. Art is subjective. My exposure to spooky stories has primarily come from older folks, including my own grandmother, whereas my (albeit limited) experience of campfire stories has been exclusively wholesome to heroic. The concept of a spooky campfire story is entirely alien to me, so Daughter telling it would come off flat to me. As such, Grandmother's conveyance of the story made it far spookier.

With no objective, universally shared experiences, no art and the tropes it employs can be considered as objectively a better option than another, especially something as culturally specific as what's spooky.

1 hour ago, Loza03 said:

I liked it and felt it was plenty spooky.

Indeed.

Grandmother is framed in the game as a talker (or gossiper) where the others have scientific angles and hobbies. It fits her. Could it have been more elaborate if the world was 'normal' right now? Sure. But it was an enjoyable couple of minutes of my time.

Archived