Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave Task Repetition Question

(XBOX)Dylan OConor

Question

So, I'm running Nightwave Tasks to try and finish out the season - and, honestly, to get past it so I can grind out cred for Orokin Catalysts/Reactors - and I just got 'Good Friend', which is 'Help Clem with his weekly mission'. The issue is... I already did Clem's Weekly mission. For a Nightwave task. Two tasks ago. So, as a solo player, is there just no way to finish this until the weekly reset on Sunday? That seems like, well, not great design, frankly. (Granted, it doesn't help with my frustration that I've also got 'Hydrolyst Hunter' taking up a slot, which... no. That's well beyond me at this point, or probably at any point. Which isn't the game's fault, but it does mean I now have two tasks that I can't/won't be able to complete. And on top of that, my third available task is 'complete scans for Cephalon Simaris', which - given that it requires five scans and my assignment was for three - means I can't complete that task until the daily reset, and it just feels like I rolled snake-eyes three times in a row, which may just be my bad luck, but still feels avoidable from a design perspective.)

1 hour ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

Sorry; I'm still confused, here. So when the weekly reset pops up, it'll be pulled from my list, and put into the reserve? Even though, once the weekly reset pops up, I'd be able to complete it. So I'm still left in a position where I have to wait a week for it to 'clear' (even though at that point I could do it), and then it might pop up twice again, effectively stopping my progress for a second week in a row.

Also, that description also sounds like only Acts that haven't been completed get pulled and put back into your challenges, which... pretty clearly isn't the case, since I just got this one again after completing it - it was 'Recovered' a single challenge after it was completed. Is it somehow considered a different challenge, since it was pulled from a prior week?

Each Acts are a different instance as acevezwing mentioned, but since the start of intermission 3 there have been enough of weekly rotation to have gotten some of the objective at least 2-3 time in some cases.

Meaning the 1st help clem you cleared could have been lets say from 2 week ago and the 2nd one that just pop could be for 6weeks ago for example.

As for weekly getting saved, anything not finished at the time of the weekely reset will get its progress saved until you cleared enough of the new week ones to bring it back.

1 minute ago, RazerXPrime said:

Hm, ok well that's only possible if you had multiple recovered missions. I think there was one a couple weeks back too, but I don't recall correctly.

Perhaps what DE can do to make it more clear is show the list of recovered tasks so you can browse them in advance and plan better. But they are not random. They are only there if you logged in and then do not do them. I'm not sure if they store indefinitely, but perhaps they do.

So, still not a bad design imo. Just bad luck for you that you have them all stored and cannot complete all of them now. The other thing they could have done is stick to the weekly missions and remove them so people do not have this issue, but that would also mean you have to play every week if you want to keep up. That would be way way worse as that forces you to play. This design allows you to complete things at your own pace. Unlucky for double stored recovered tasks that you can only do once per week, but hey it's not the end of the world. Your scenario would only happen if you have multiple stored tasks of multiple weeks. Technically you can know this in advance if you pay attention to Nightwave.

For instance if you log into WF and there's a tasks for Clem. You skip it and then 3 weeks later you log in again and there's a new weekly for clem and you again do not do it, then the week after you can have double Clem missions in a row as a recovered task. But the way it works means you could have known this. The only downside is that Clem's mission is a once per week activity.

I mean, I still maintain it's bad design - for new players, at least: I started playing Warframe just over a month ago. To absolutely no one's surprise, I did not know what Nightwave was, I did not know how or why the uncompleted tasks were 'stored', and I certainly didn't know that not completing tasks could come back to bite me in the ass a month later. Hell, there's a decent chance that this particular task was stored when I didn't even have access to Clem's mission, because I only cleared that for the first time when I first noticed it popping up in Nightwave - and I only started paying attention to Nightwave several weeks into play. 'We're punishing you for not paying attention to a part of the game as a new player that new players have no reason to pay attention to' is... pretty poor design, I think, yeah.

(As for how to 'solve' it? That's easy: let me put a set number of missions a week back in the bank, and then replace them with another mission that's been banked instead. It still wouldn't be good practice to just bank all the missions I didn't like, because if I tried that, I'd hit a point where those missions were all I was getting back out, as well... but ultimately, that would still be my decision, not an arbitrary bottleneck from the game.) 

2 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Kind of wondering if you can piggy back with someone who has not done the quest yet to do it a second time in one week? Or maybe the game doesn't allow that. Could be worth a shot.

Honestly, I probably could, but at this point, I've just dug in my heels: I prefer to play solo, and when I do play with a group, I do it through the matchmaking in the game. Forcing me to go outside of the game to a LFG site just to clear a challenge (from a mechanical standpoint, I mean, not just a difficulty standpoint) is, I still maintain, bad design, and I don't want to 'condone' it by doing so.

6 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

I mean, I still maintain it's bad design - for new players, at least: I started playing Warframe just over a month ago. To absolutely no one's surprise, I did not know what Nightwave was, I did not know how or why the uncompleted tasks were 'stored', and I certainly didn't know that not completing tasks could come back to bite me in the ass a month later. Hell, there's a decent chance that this particular task was stored when I didn't even have access to Clem's mission, because I only cleared that for the first time when I first noticed it popping up in Nightwave - and I only started paying attention to Nightwave several weeks into play. 'We're punishing you for not paying attention to a part of the game as a new player that new players have no reason to pay attention to' is... pretty poor design, I think, yeah.

(As for how to 'solve' it? That's easy: let me put a set number of missions a week back in the bank, and then replace them with another mission that's been banked instead. It still wouldn't be good practice to just bank all the missions I didn't like, because if I tried that, I'd hit a point where those missions were all I was getting back out, as well... but ultimately, that would still be my decision, not an arbitrary bottleneck from the game.) 

Hah intersting view. ;) Wait till you find what else Warframe has in store. Nightwave is one of the easiest things to grasp that has no explanation.

In all fairness. Warframe is not really a game you just play leisurely. It's a game you will play for a while if you enjoy it. And all these things are just minor inconveniences until you gain a better understanding. Warframe is known to be convoluted with options and stuff to do. You've barely scratched the surface trust me. Warframe is also know to not explain much of anything to new players. If you need help, look to other players or the wiki. There's always people around willing to answer questions or help out. If you were on PC, I'd offer my help, but alas.

Just now, RazerXPrime said:

Hah intersting view. ;) Wait till you find what else Warframe has in store. Nightwave is one of the easiest things to grasp that has no explanation.

In all fairness. Warframe is not really a game you just play leisurely. It's a game you will play for a while if you enjoy it. And all these things are just minor inconveniences until you gain a better understanding. Warframe is known to be convoluted with options and stuff to do. You've barely scratched the surface trust me. Warframe is also know to not explain much of anything to new players. If you need help, look to other players or the wiki. There's always people around willing to answer questions or help out. If you were on PC, I'd offer my help, but alas.

Yeah, I've started to hit some of those already - the middle school bully who taunts me every time I log in (because I killed her? I guess?) has already gotten... pretty old. And almost everything about the Operator as a gameplay mechanic is pretty well across my personal 'control complexity' Rubicon, which is why I'm not engaging with the Kuva stuff to begin with*. I just don't do missions on Saturn any more, because the middle school bully has staked that out as her territory, and you know what? She can have it. (And then there's the Orphix Railjack missions. Screw you, Orphix Railjack missions.)

All of which may just mean that I don't engage with Warframe content beyond a certain point/difficulty, which is fine - that's my choice to make, after all. But the Nightwave rewards (the catalysts/reactors specifically) are necessary to engage with the level of difficulty/complexity I do find compelling, which is why it's frustrating to be bottlenecked like this. After two weeks of doing Sorties nearly every day (I skip the ones that involve Spy missions), I've got zero catalysts/reactors to show for it, so Nightwave feels like my only avenue to those upgrades (because I'd like to have more than just one Warframe capable of playing on higher difficulties), and now that's blocked off as well.

*I want to clarify: I don't think the Operator is bad, at all. Narratively, it's genius, and I'm certain from a gameplay standpoint it was a breath of fresh air for longtime players. It's just not fun to me, because there's so much going on, just from a 'controller input' standpoint. It's like with fighting games: there's a certain point where I just can't 'keep up'. I can manage basic attacks and special moves, but once you get into reversals and frame counting and whatnot, that's just more than I can manage to keep track of, let alone keep the controls straight. The Operator, as a mechanic, feels like that. Which, again, doesn't make it bad: it just makes it 'not for me'.

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

Yeah, I've started to hit some of those already - the middle school bully who taunts me every time I log in (because I killed her? I guess?) has already gotten... pretty old. And almost everything about the Operator as a gameplay mechanic is pretty well across my personal 'control complexity' Rubicon, which is why I'm not engaging with the Kuva stuff to begin with*. I just don't do missions on Saturn any more, because the middle school bully has staked that out as her territory, and you know what? She can have it. (And then there's the Orphix Railjack missions. Screw you, Orphix Railjack missions.)

All of which may just mean that I don't engage with Warframe content beyond a certain point/difficulty, which is fine - that's my choice to make, after all. But the Nightwave rewards (the catalysts/reactors specifically) are necessary to engage with the level of difficulty/complexity I do find compelling, which is why it's frustrating to be bottlenecked like this. After two weeks of doing Sorties nearly every day (I skip the ones that involve Spy missions), I've got zero catalysts/reactors to show for it, so Nightwave feels like my only avenue to those upgrades (because I'd like to have more than just one Warframe capable of playing on higher difficulties), and now that's blocked off as well.

*I want to clarify: I don't think the Operator is bad, at all. Narratively, it's genius, and I'm certain from a gameplay standpoint it was a breath of fresh air for longtime players. It's just not fun to me, because there's so much going on, just from a 'controller input' standpoint. It's like with fighting games: there's a certain point where I just can't 'keep up'. I can manage basic attacks and special moves, but once you get into reversals and frame counting and whatnot, that's just more than I can manage to keep track of, let alone keep the controls straight. The Operator, as a mechanic, feels like that. Which, again, doesn't make it bad: it just makes it 'not for me'.

Ah yes you've made the mistake of taking down a Lich larvling which spawned your lich. Unless you have someone helping you out or willing to spend platinum on this thing to speed it up you're looking at this bully being around for a long time. Good thing they toned down the messaging to once per week instead of every login.

4 minutes ago, RazerXPrime said:

Ah yes you've made the mistake of taking down a Lich larvling which spawned your lich. Unless you have someone helping you out or willing to spend platinum on this thing to speed it up you're looking at this bully being around for a long time. Good thing they toned down the messaging to once per week instead of every login.

Yeah, I looked it up on the various wikis once I got well and truly sick of hearing the taunts; I read about the amount of grinding involved, and was pretty much immediately like 'nope, I can absolutely make my peace with this. I got through middle school when I was actually a kid; as a grown adult, I can absolutely let an obnoxious video game character taunt me and steal my lunch money rather than engage with hours upon hours of grinding just to shut them up'. I'm thin skinned, but I'm not that thin skinned!

(Good to know they toned down the messaging, though; honestly, I barely even notice it any more.)

2 hours ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

Yeah, I looked it up on the various wikis once I got well and truly sick of hearing the taunts; I read about the amount of grinding involved, and was pretty much immediately like 'nope, I can absolutely make my peace with this. I got through middle school when I was actually a kid; as a grown adult, I can absolutely let an obnoxious video game character taunt me and steal my lunch money rather than engage with hours upon hours of grinding just to shut them up'. I'm thin skinned, but I'm not that thin skinned!

(Good to know they toned down the messaging, though; honestly, I barely even notice it any more.)

Hah, don't worry about it. I still have my first Lich active. It's been sitting there for over half a year now. I will eventually get around to dealing with it. I'm spreading out the grind over a long period of time. She even took a Riven mod from the sortie from me a few days ago. I was like. "Heh. ok that's a thing".

12 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

That's the thing, though: I didn't do Clem's mission 'before it came up on Nightwave'. I did it after it came up on Nightwave, cleared that challenge, and then, after clearing the next challenge, 'Help Clem' came up on Nightwave again. So it's come up as a Nightwave challenge, specifically, twice, in 24 hours. (Actually, I think it was less than 12.) That's where my frustration comes from: the fact that, as a Nightwave challenge, something I can't do twice is coded to appear twice.

I understand now that the recurring tasks are 'banked' from when I wasn't doing them, but the reason I wasn't doing them is... I wasn't playing the game. At all. Barely knew it existed. So now it just feels like I'm being punished for not playing from the very beginning of the Nightwave, even though I wasn't playing the game at all when the Nightwave started.

Hm, ok well that's only possible if you had multiple recovered missions. I think there was one a couple weeks back too, but I don't recall correctly.

Perhaps what DE can do to make it more clear is show the list of recovered tasks so you can browse them in advance and plan better. But they are not random. They are only there if you logged in and then do not do them. I'm not sure if they store indefinitely, but perhaps they do.

So, still not a bad design imo. Just bad luck for you that you have them all stored and cannot complete all of them now. The other thing they could have done is stick to the weekly missions and remove them so people do not have this issue, but that would also mean you have to play every week if you want to keep up. That would be way way worse as that forces you to play.

The current design allows you to complete things at your own pace. Unlucky for double stored recovered tasks that you can only do once per week, but hey it's not the end of the world. Your scenario would only happen if you have multiple stored tasks of multiple weeks. Technically you can know this in advance if you pay attention to Nightwave.

For instance if you log into WF and there's a tasks for Clem. You skip it and then 3 weeks later you log in again and there's a new weekly for clem and you again do not do it, then the week after you can have double Clem missions in a row as a recovered task. But the way it works means you could have known this. The only downside is that Clem's mission is a once per week activity.

My advice for this particular mission is to do it when it comes up. It's like a 5-10 minute mission. Easy to complete at any level, impossible to fail unless you do it on purpose.

10 hours ago, Slayer-. said:

You can go to Darvo and select Help Clem from the list, if I'm understanding what I read if it's showing in NW, not sure just thought I'd throw in the Darvo shop on relays.

Unfortunately not the case; once you've run the mission once - even if it was for Nightwave - it won't show up again, even if you go to Darvo's shop.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

Unfortunately not the case; once you've run the mission once - even if it was for Nightwave - it won't show up again, even if you go to Darvo's shop.

Ah, thank you.

I never do Clem unless I have too, so never really knew the system since NW came in, threw it out there in-case it'd been overlooked. ;)

On 2021-05-18 at 10:57 AM, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

So, I'm running Nightwave Tasks to try and finish out the season - and, honestly, to get past it so I can grind out cred for Orokin Catalysts/Reactors - and I just got 'Good Friend', which is 'Help Clem with his weekly mission'. The issue is... I already did Clem's Weekly mission. For a Nightwave task. Two tasks ago. So, as a solo player, is there just no way to finish this until the weekly reset on Sunday? That seems like, well, not great design, frankly. (Granted, it doesn't help with my frustration that I've also got 'Hydrolyst Hunter' taking up a slot, which... no. That's well beyond me at this point, or probably at any point. Which isn't the game's fault, but it does mean I now have two tasks that I can't/won't be able to complete. And on top of that, my third available task is 'complete scans for Cephalon Simaris', which - given that it requires five scans and my assignment was for three - means I can't complete that task until the daily reset, and it just feels like I rolled snake-eyes three times in a row, which may just be my bad luck, but still feels avoidable from a design perspective.)

You can taxi into Clem's weekly mission.   You can't do it purely solo,  but if you're capable of playing with people you can usually find someone willing to help through recruiting chat. 

For Simaris,  you can get more scans by using the lore console behind him.  That console has several lore entries that are unlocked by 10 scans of specific targets. You pick one of the targets and you have 10 simaris scans lined up,  at least until you finish all of them.    They're not repeatable.

You might be able to find people willing to carry you through a tri-cap,   I'd be willing but I'm on PC.

On 2021-05-18 at 1:05 PM, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

I would definitely call it 'punishment' for not playing every single week, not prioritizing Nightwave specifically, or, you know, just being like me, ie being a new player who didn't start playing until this Nightwave was... however many months in we are now. (Which is why I was confused; I thought the challenges were just re-occurring randomly after I cleared them.) So, yeah: I'm going to call 'bottlenecking progress by way of something that's entirely out of a player's hands' bad design - and since the only way I could have avoided this situation, apparently, was to be playing Warframe from the very beginning of this Nightwave, and knowing at that time that I needed to prioritize clearing weekly-limited challenges just so they didn't show up later, I'm pretty comfortable calling that 'out of my hands'.

Again, it's one thing for me to bottleneck my own progress by refusing to clear the Hydolyst challenge: that's something I'm choosing not to complete (assuming I even could, at my skill/build level). Here, I don't have any choice in the matter: my progression has ground to a halt by something I have no control over. 'You weren't playing the game when you should have been, so screw you', basically. So, yeah. 'Bad design'.

Nightwave's current setup is actually very forgiving.  During Wolf of Saturn Six,  it didn't have a catchup mechanic at all, so if you missed a week you missed all of that week's standing with no way to get it.   The catchup mechanic,  which stores acts you missed and lets you do them,  was added at popular request.       

On 2021-05-18 at 10:15 AM, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

So now it just feels like I'm being punished for not playing from the very beginning of the Nightwave, even though I wasn't playing the game at all when the Nightwave started.

Well, that's how live service games work. The game is always moving forward whether you're there or not, its not like a straight through play once solo campaign game.

So anyone who's been playing longer is always better off than people who have just started playing.

Just think of all the Operations and Events with their trophies that you'll never have access to because they were one-time events that were already over years before you even started playing. It's just how it is, you're not a day 1 Founder, gotta get used to it.

25 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

Well, that's how live service games work. The game is always moving forward whether you're there or not, its not like a straight through play once solo campaign game.

So anyone who's been playing longer is always better off than people who have just started playing.

Just think of all the Operations and Events with their trophies that you'll never have access to because they were one-time events that were already over years before you even started playing. It's just how it is, you're not a day 1 Founder, gotta get used to it.

My issue isn't that I don't have access to all the stuff from before I was playing, though - it's that I'm barred from progressing currently because I didn't do something 'right' in the first couple weeks I was playing. If I'd completed the Clem mission when it came up in Nightwave, like, the first week I was playing the game, I wouldn't be in this position. So the game's decided that 'decision' means I shouldn't be able to move forward currently. In other words, I'm being punished, right now, for decisions that a) I didn't even realize I was making b) didn't have any sort of information about how to make and c) basically just because the RNG that assigns the tasks said 'screw you'. One of those three things might be acceptable, but all three, at once? I still maintain it's bad design that's allowed to happen - and bad design is on the designers, not on me.

Also - and this isn't just a reply to you, it's a general note on this entire thread - man, there's a weird amount of 'the game only punishes you if you deserve it, and so you must deserve it' in the replies I'm getting here. At least half of them boil down to 'really, you should be thankful the game is arbitrarily stopping your progression', which... yeah, that's never going to be the case. The other half are just 'yeah, the game does this sort of thing at times, get used to it', or 'clearly, this is your fault somehow, even if I don't understand how'. Which, to a relative newcomer? Most of these sound like 'Daddy only hits you when you make him mad, so it's your fault your arm is broken', which... doesn't strike me as a particularly healthy relationship to have with a game.

12 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

My issue isn't that I don't have access to all the stuff from before I was playing, though - it's that I'm barred from progressing currently because I didn't do something 'right' in the first couple weeks I was playing. If I'd completed the Clem mission when it came up in Nightwave, like, the first week I was playing the game, I wouldn't be in this position. So the game's decided that 'decision' means I shouldn't be able to move forward currently. In other words, I'm being punished, right now, for decisions that a) I didn't even realize I was making b) didn't have any sort of information about how to make and c) basically just because the RNG that assigns the tasks said 'screw you'. One of those three things might be acceptable, but all three, at once? I still maintain it's bad design that's allowed to happen - and bad design is on the designers, not on me.

Also - and this isn't just a reply to you, it's a general note on this entire thread - man, there's a weird amount of 'the game only punishes you if you deserve it, and so you must deserve it' in the replies I'm getting here. At least half of them boil down to 'really, you should be thankful the game is arbitrarily stopping your progression', which... yeah, that's never going to be the case. The other half are just 'yeah, the game does this sort of thing at times, get used to it', or 'clearly, this is your fault somehow, even if I don't understand how'. Which, to a relative newcomer? Most of these sound like 'Daddy only hits you when you make him mad, so it's your fault your arm is broken', which... doesn't strike me as a particularly healthy relationship to have with a game.

When Nightwave was initially conceived, there was a Hard Weekly Limit to the challenges, with No Recovery for any missed ones; if you started late or missed one you were S.O.L.

The catchup/recovery system was introduced later.

So, a better way to look at your situation, is Not that the recovered challenge is preventing you from progressing; -you've already used up your weekly limit and done your Normal weekly quota, after all. Rather you're just getting to experience just a Tiny Bit of the harshness that older players have had to put up with. and only Temporarilly at that; Clem will reset next week and you'll get another shot if you keep up on the more immediate chores of that week first.

The Recovery system is not perfect, but the rest of us aren't complaining about it because its a lot better than what we used to have -nothing.

From that perspective, an older player might see your complaints about the new more generous system as being ?spoiled? which is why you're getting a lot of flak right now.

...Just so you can see where they're coming from...

taking that further, Before Nightwaye itself things were Yet Worse, with the items and rewards you currently earn from the Nightwave Ranking, instead were given in Temporary Alert Missions\ that would only last a few hours at a time. People who happened to have work, or school, or a different time zone, etc straight up missed the items.

DE designed Nightwave as a replacement for those Time Limited Alerts, to be more friendly to people which real world schedules.

With that in mind: they designed it such that all rewards for a season are obtainable even if only about 65% of the challenge are actually completed; they wanted players to have plenty of leeway to simply ignore challenges that were problematic.

On top of that, there is a Season Cap to how much credit you can earn; meaning completing every single challenge from the very start is pointless - they are actively discouraging players from grinding out every single challenge. It's Not supposed to be Urgent. So relax and let this one go. You aren't going to miss out.

24 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

When Nightwave was initially conceived, there was a Hard Weekly Limit to the challenges, with No Recovery for any missed ones; if you started late or missed one you were S.O.L.

The catchup/recovery system was introduced later.

So, a better way to look at your situation, is Not that the recovered challenge is preventing you from progressing; -you've already used up your weekly limit and done your Normal weekly quota, after all. Rather you're just getting to experience just a Tiny Bit of the harshness that older players have had to put up with. and only Temporarilly at that; Clem will reset next week and you'll get another shot if you keep up on the more immediate chores of that week first.

The Recovery system is not perfect, but the rest of us aren't complaining about it because its a lot better than what we used to have -nothing.

From that perspective, an older player might see your complaints about the new more generous system as being ?spoiled? which is why you're getting a lot of flak right now.

...Just so you can see where they're coming from...

taking that further, Before Nightwaye itself things were Yet Worse, with the items and rewards you currently earn from the Nightwave Ranking, instead were given in Temporary Alert Missions\ that would only last a few hours at a time. People who happened to have work, or school, or a different time zone, etc straight up missed the items.

DE designed Nightwave as a replacement for those Time Limited Alerts, to be more friendly to people which real world schedules.

With that in mind: they designed it such that all rewards for a season are obtainable even if only about 65% of the challenge are actually completed; they wanted players to have plenty of leeway to simply ignore challenges that were problematic.

On top of that, there is a Season Cap to how much credit you can earn; meaning completing every single challenge from the very start is pointless - they are actively discouraging players from grinding out every single challenge. It's Not supposed to be Urgent. So relax and let this one go. You aren't going to miss out.

Here's the thing, though: all of that may be absolutely true, but none of that makes it less frustrating to me, right now. 'It was even worse before!' just isn't particularly a useful piece of advice, you know? 'Oh, I just broke my arm, it really hurts!' 'Ha, that pain is nothing - try breaking both your legs and then getting kicked in the head by a mule! So quit your whining and walk it off; that's what I did with my two broken legs, and I was thankful for every minute of it, just like you should be, you spoiled brat! Whining about a broken arm, honestly...'

And don't get me wrong, I'm glad the new system is more generous than it used to be, just like I'm glad I don't have to worry about polio or scarlet fever. But 'at least you don't have polio' still isn't exactly a helpful thing to say, especially in the forum specifically meant for, you know, helping.

Grandpa. (Sorry.)

(Also, I should add: I have more or less made my peace with it, now that I understand the mechanics behind what happened - I didn't understand when I made the initial post that the tasks were 'recovered' from earlier in the Nightwave season, I thought they were just randomly picked out a hat. So, okay, I get where I went wrong, even if I still think it's bad design that it's allowed to happen that way. But me making my peace with what happened doesn't change the fact that at least seventy percent of the 'advice' I got while I was trying to understand that was people coming in and saying 'it's your own fault for not understanding the systems that weren't at all explained to you, so really, you're an idiot, and quit whining'. Which, in terms of giving advice... really isn't how it's done.)

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

But me making my peace with what happened that doesn't change the fact that at least seventy percent of the 'advice' I got while I was trying to understand that was people coming in and saying 'it's your own fault for not understanding the systems that weren't at all explained to you, so really, you're an idiot, and quit whining'. Which, in terms of giving advice... really isn't how it's done.)

oh that's normal for Warframe, you either have to get used to it, or leave before it gets to you.

See, being a free-to-play/pay-to-skip-grind game, means that naturally a major focus of the gameplay is Grind. There are inherent limits on how much fun is freely available, because the company needs to motivate players to Pay to skip over the bad parts..

So players, especially ones who've been around long enough, get very burned out and salty, and elitist over what they've suffered.

Very toxic community, stemming from a toxic relationship. I'd leave, but, got my hand jammed in the Skinner Box... things designed to get you hooked

beware

2 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

oh that's normal for Warframe, you either have to get used to it, or leave before it gets to you.

See, being a free-to-play/pay-to-skip-grind game, means that naturally a major focus of the gameplay is Grind. There are inherent limits on how much fun is freely available, because the company needs to motivate players to Pay to skip over the bad parts..

So players, especially ones who've been around long enough, get very burned out and salty, and elitist over what they've suffered.

Very toxic community, stemming from a toxic relationship. I'd leave, but, got my hand jammed in the Skinner Box... things designed to get you hooked

beware

...hooray.

So what you're basically saying is, I shouldn't bother taking any questions I have to the forums here, because I'm just going to get abused. Wonderful. (I should add: among all those... kind of awful replies, there were a handful of really useful, really generous ones. And you yourself have been very engaging!)

The funny thing is, I legitimately don't mind most of the 'grind' that comes with the F2P model they're using: I don't mind waiting to craft stuff, I don't mind the limited amount of useful stuff you can craft per day, I don't even mind the amount of RNG in the loot drops (I mean, would I complain about some form of RNG protection? Not at all; I'd be overjoyed. But its lack isn't going to make me quit the game or anything). I tend to like grind in a game like this, because it gives me a 'reason' to play the game; part of the reason I was so focused on Nightwave was that I liked having that guidance - 'do this thing, and you'll be rewarded' does tend to be more compelling to me than 'do this thing, and maybe you'll get a decent drop, or not, who the hell knows'. So most of the gameplay mechanics stemming from 'we're trying really hard to make you give us money' don't particularly bother me; I've even willingly given them money, to buy more Warframe slots! (Also, because one of the bundles was on sale on Xbox.) My complaint here was more focused around 'those mechanics seemingly broke down and prevented me from progressing'.

Essentially, I really enjoy the base game, here - to the point where the stuff I don't find particularly engaging tends to be more of the endgame/variety stuff they added to 'change things up' for veteran players. Which is fine - that stuff isn't for me, and for the most part, I can ignore it and still progress through the game/the upgrade systems. (Until, you know, suddenly, I can't.)

24 minutes ago, (XBOX)Dylan OConor said:

I already did the mission for a Nightwave, which is what has me frustrated. So 'Help Clem' came up as a challenge, I completed it, did another challenge, and then 'Help Clem' popped up a second time. It'd be one thing if I did it on my own, but the fact that the challenge is set to repeat - even though it, you know, can't be completed more than once - is the part that feels unfair. (And yeah, solo is the only way I play, for the most part - I'd probably attempt it with a party if the game offered matchmaking for the activity, but since I already did the mission, there's no way to select it again and find a party, and I'm just stubborn enough that I'm not going to use LFG sites just to get around what feels like bad design on the game's part.)

Oh, I 100% agree with you, because now you are stuck until next week unless you go looking for help on a seemingly simple mission.  I definitely understand your frustrations because I have them too at times.  If there is anything I can do to help let me know.  

I guess this is somewhat inevitable if you miss/skip tasks during a Nightwave that you could end up with the same task back to back. Nightwaves last forever. There's really no rush and there will be another NW immediately following this one.

10 minutes ago, KosmicKerman said:

I guess this is somewhat inevitable if you miss/skip tasks during a Nightwave that you could end up with the same task back to back. Nightwaves last forever. There's really no rush and there will be another NW immediately following this one.

Sorry, I don't understand: what's the relationship between missing/skipping tasks and getting the same task repeated? (Also, is there a way to 'skip' tasks?) Outside of the Hydrolyst tasks, these are tasks I've completed before. Granted, I'm new to the game, so I've got no real concept of how Nightwave works beyond 'tasks show up, I do them, I get the standing toward the reward', but that kind of makes it sound like I'm being punished, somehow, like I did something wrong early on and so now I only get a limited pool of tasks.

The 'rush', so to speak, is less about how long the Nightwave lasts, and more about how long I'm going to be playing: I tend to approach games like this with a 'play a lot, then ease back until new content arrives' mentality (the same way I play Destiny). Which means, since I've got most of the Primes I'm interested at this point, I'd kind of like to get reactors in them, and then put Warframe 'on the shelf' for a while, at least until there's a new set of Primes - especially since there is new Destiny content arriving, and it's been a minute since I played that. (Absolutely none of which is me saying 'Warframe is bad and I'm sick of it!', by the way: I think it's awesome! That's just the way I tend to play games - I don't want to play the same game forever. I want to play it until I'm a little bored, move on to something else, then circle back when I'm ready to play again.)

So what you're saying is you did the weekly "Help Clem" mission then doing NW missions a challenge came up to "Help Clem" but you already did the mission.  I'm fairly certain you can just team up with someone that hasn't done the mission and be pulled through it.  Correct me if I am wrong someone.  If this is true just ask someone in region to help pull you through one.  To answer the question though, he is a weekly mission and if "solo" is the only way you play you will have to wait until next week.

Any Weekly and Elite Weekly Acts that have not been completed before the next week's rotation will be put on reserve. Once the player has fewer than 3 current weekly Acts left to complete, any missed Acts from previous weeks will be available and marked as Recovered, three at a time. Once all missed Acts have been completed, they will no longer appear, and any further Acts can be recovered in the future week rotations.

Don't worry. It will be put into reserves.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)BROKEN MAILMAN said:

So what you're saying is you did the weekly "Help Clem" mission then doing NW missions a challenge came up to "Help Clem" but you already did the mission.  I'm fairly certain you can just team up with someone that hasn't done the mission and be pulled through it.  Correct me if I am wrong someone.  If this is true just ask someone in region to help pull you through one.  To answer the question though, he is a weekly mission and if "solo" is the only way you play you will have to wait until next week.

I already did the mission for a Nightwave, which is what has me frustrated. So 'Help Clem' came up as a challenge, I completed it, did another challenge, and then 'Help Clem' popped up a second time. It'd be one thing if I did it on my own, but the fact that the challenge is set to repeat - even though it, you know, can't be completed more than once - is the part that feels unfair. (And yeah, solo is the only way I play, for the most part - I'd probably attempt it with a party if the game offered matchmaking for the activity, but since I already did the mission, there's no way to select it again and find a party, and I'm just stubborn enough that I'm not going to use LFG sites just to get around what feels like bad design on the game's part.)

Archived