Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is there a reason as to why they didn't let us swap all abilities with the helminth?

Aguzo

18 minutes ago, Aguzo said:

it's just swapping the frame, without swapping the aesthetic.

I get what you are intending and would say that the reason why you shouldn't expect to see that is that DE has maintained thematic motivations behind each of their frames.

swapping skins at the cost of degree of function sounds like a fair trade-off but muddies the theme of the frame in the process.

Likewise, opening the doors for such a swap (even with reduced function) just makes new fodder for old complaints. (Examples: Female Ash and Male Mesa versions have been asked for quite a few times).

There really isn't a good reason for it not being possible past that... I still wouldn't hold my breath expecting it though.

Helminth's function has been a fairly massive concession on DE's part in regard to their design intentions and I wouldn't expect it to progress much past that in the future tbh.

4 minutes ago, Tesseract7777 said:

We've known this is what you are asking since your first post. 

We all think it isn't a good idea.

Clear? 

you know this is a forum right? It's a simple question, and my opinion. No one is telling you that you can't disagree.

1 minute ago, Aguzo said:

you know this is a forum right? It's a simple question, and my opinion. No one is telling you that you can't disagree.

Yeah I think after wasting my time posting on a forum thousands of times I know how it works lol. 

However, on the other hand, I'm not sure you understand how it works. 

If you were asking a question, you were given the answer and are now pretending we didn't understand the question.

If you are just posting your opinion, you have found, as we all have a right to disagree as you said, that we all do, and your opinion is rather unpopular. 

Is that making any sense? 

At the most basic concept, why would you want a game where the only defining factor is your character skin? 

Warframe, of all games, has such a varied character pool, and the amount of ways you can play frames is also just as varied, so why is this idea of “let me play the same way but looking different” such a draw?

3 minutes ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

At the most basic concept, why would you want a game where the only defining factor is your character skin? 

Warframe, of all games, has such a varied character pool, and the amount of ways you can play frames is also just as varied, so why is this idea of “let me play the same way but looking different” such a draw?

Also if your bag is really just playing a frame but looking waaaaaaay different, one could always check out Tennogen. 

Some of those skins are so out there I would not be surprised if a lot of people guessed wrong at first at which frame it is actually supposed to be. 

6 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

I get what you are intending and would say that the reason why you shouldn't expect to see that is that DE has maintained thematic motivations behind each of their frames.

swapping skins at the cost of degree of function sounds like a fair trade-off but muddies the theme of the frame in the process.

Likewise, opening the doors for such a swap (even with reduced function) just makes new fodder for old complaints. (Examples: Female Ash and Male Mesa versions have been asked for quite a few times).

There really isn't a good reason for it not being possible past that... I still wouldn't hold my breath expecting it though.

Helminth's function has been a fairly massive concession on DE's part in regard to their design intentions and I wouldn't expect it to progress much past that in the future tbh.

gotcha. This is probably the only sensible answer here. It feels like DE backtracked on their approach, the moment helminth was released. Was wondering why they didn't go all the way.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)CommanderC2121 said:

I just don't like the aesthetic of some frames. I prefer the more humanoid looking ones. When I have to switch to a specific frame, for a specific task, it feels somewhat forced/off-putting. However, it seems @Padre_Akais gave the best answer so far.

FWIW, there may be an argument for opening up skin selection so, say, I could put Equinox Prime's aesthetics on Octavia. Animation sets already cross that boundary (and thematic boundaries), and things like Tennogen might be a touch more popular if we could put those looks on a frame we like. Plus, I'm pretty sure DE did mention separating mechanics and aesthetics when they dumped arcane helmets...

But in terms of switching functionality, or mixing and matching individual abilities via Helminth? Well...I won't beat that dead horse.

2 minutes ago, Tyreaus said:

FWIW, there may be an argument for opening up skin selection so, say, I could put Equinox Prime's aesthetics on Octavia. Animation sets already cross that boundary (and thematic boundaries), and things like Tennogen might be a touch more popular if we could put those looks on a frame we like. Plus, I'm pretty sure DE did mention separating mechanics and aesthetics when they dumped arcane helmets...

But in terms of switching functionality, or mixing and matching individual abilities via Helminth? Well...I won't beat that dead horse.

ah yeah, this makes sense. Some ability animations were probably only added for that specific frame's skeleton.

16 minutes ago, Aguzo said:

ah yeah, this makes sense. Some ability animations were probably only added for that specific frame's skeleton.

Maybe? But we have some pretty full-body animations – both in the Helminth system and in idle stances – that end up working across multiple Warframes of quite disparate stature (Yareli vs Chroma, e.g.). IDK exactly how DE rigs it up, but I do get the impression there's some kind of relative positioning happening behind the scenes that would keep animations from breaking across skeletons. Or at least things are close enough that a little bit of clipping isn't a huge deal. (In most cases, at least: pretty sure Grendel with any skin is going to have something going on with his 4 they might have to fix)

Archived