Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE, that new Frost augment where he deals extra damage to frozen targets, shouldn't be an augment. It should be a part of his passive.

TheGodofWiFi

As the title says, DE is releasing a new augment where Frost has an extra 200% critical chance and 200% critical damage against frozen enemies. To put it simply, this should not be an augment it should be a part of his passive.

Frost has long been forgotten in todays version of Warframe due to the fact he simply not as useful anymore. Other frames can do his job far more efficiently. He has been in need of a rework for sometime now to bring his kit up to the modern standard of Warframe, which is a very fast paced looter-shooter where being constantly on the move is 50% of the gameplay. Frost, like Hydroid, is a relic of old Warframe back when it was a very different game, one that was not as open and was far more restrictive on movement. He does not need bandaid fixes like this augment, he needs a full on rework to his abilities.

This kind of passive would be the first big step into bringing Frost back into the limelight of Warframe. The next would give all of his abilities a do-over in a rework.

Please stop trying to band aid old frames by bringing out augments that by rights should part of their kit in the first place. Please, make this new augment part of Frosts passive and actually give the old frames the attention they so desperately need.

2 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Frost has long been forgotten in todays version of Warframe due to the fact he simply not as useful anymore. Other frames can do his job far more efficiently. He has been in need of a rework for sometime now to bring his kit up to the modern standard of Warframe, which is a very fast paced looter-shooter where being constantly on the move is 50% of the gameplay.

Frost, like Hydroid, is a relic of old Warframe back when it was a very different game, one that was not as open and was far more restrictive on movement. He does not need bandaid fixes like this augment, he needs a full on rework to his abilities.

This kind of passive would be the first big step into bringing Frost back into the limelight of Warframe. The next would give all of his abilities a do-over in a rework.

I take exception to putting Frost and Hydroid on the same level of non-useful. Frost doesn't need a full rework, nor is he useless. He functions perfectly well at his job, he's just not as flashy and do-everything as some of the recent frames have proven to be.

I'm not going to disagree with the 'new augment vs. actually relevant passive' suggestion, but the passive and possibly Ice Wave are the only things that could use outright reworking/replacements. The rest of the kit makes Frost simple, but reliable in that simplicity.

A couple of statistical bumps to Avalanche to make it less every-stat-demanding to perform well, and some QOL for Globes (particularly allowing friendly fire to pass through as it can with Gara Vitrify, and in UI for the remaining-health display) would be plenty for those. Freeze gets to just be the basic ability it is - Shock and Fireball aren't much different even after those kits were looked at either.

Most people are thinking of Limbo when something 'does Frost's job better', but Limbo isn't any more mobile and does have some shortfalls of his own. Stasis is dependant on Cataclysm, so an unanticipated touch of Nullifier to the area puts everything back in full aggro (if not recently Surged) - Avalanche is not dependant on Globe, so locally frozen enemies stay frozen even if the bubble breaks. Limbo doesn't offer much else for allies whereas Frost can augment Freeze for damage buffs and has the armour shred in Avalanche (though it could be better if touched by aforementioned base stat buffs). Also no rift-state confusion for gunplay.

9 minutes ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

I take exception to putting Frost and Hydroid on the same level of non-useful. Frost doesn't need a full rework, nor is he useless. He functions perfectly well at his job, he's just not as flashy and do-everything as some of the recent frames have proven to be.

I'm not going to disagree with the 'new augment vs. actually relevant passive' suggestion, but the passive and possibly Ice Wave are the only things that could use outright reworking/replacements. The rest of the kit makes Frost simple, but reliable in that simplicity.

A couple of statistical bumps to Avalanche to make it less every-stat-demanding to perform well, and some QOL for Globes (particularly allowing friendly fire to pass through as it can with Gara Vitrify, and in UI for the remaining-health display) would be plenty for those. Freeze gets to just be the basic ability it is - Shock and Fireball aren't much different even after those kits were looked at either.

Most people are thinking of Limbo when something 'does Frost's job better', but Limbo isn't any more mobile and does have some shortfalls of his own. Stasis is dependant on Cataclysm, so an unanticipated touch of Nullifier to the area puts everything back in full aggro (if not recently Surged) - Avalanche is not dependant on Globe, so locally frozen enemies stay frozen even if the bubble breaks. Limbo doesn't offer much else for allies whereas Frost can augment Freeze for damage buffs and has the armour shred in Avalanche (though it could be better if touched by aforementioned base stat buffs). Also no rift-state confusion for gunplay.

I agree with this. Frost could use some touching up as he is a classic frame, but he has two very strong abilities still. And Freeze is not expected to be uber strong, like you said. It is one of the four basic elemental abilities. IMO the main issue with Freeze is just the forced synergy thing so I can't remove for helminth if I want to. Apart from that, a boost to cold damage in general would be a huge boost to Freeze. It's a basic 1 ability. 

1 hour ago, TheLexiConArtist said:

I take exception to putting Frost and Hydroid on the same level of non-useful.

As a former Hydroid main for so many years, I entirely agree.

Frost has some shenanigans that I'm surprised aren't nerfed yet. Hydroid is just unfortunate in nearly every regard.

On 2022-01-29 at 5:09 PM, DealerOfAbsolutes said:

Honestly, the augment should have just been a buff to Cold procs so Viral (Cold + Toxin) isn't the most obvious build choice.

Agreed. Having two viable methods of dealing high damage would liven up build variety. Like frozen enemies gain a flat critical multiplier of 100% and extra crit chance of 50%, so basically Frost still gets to have his extra damage due to him being an ice-warrior but Cold in general gains that damage buff too so other frames can make use of it in builds. However, the 200% Crit Chance and Damage from Frosts passive wouldn't stack with it as that would be a bit too over the top.

On 2022-01-29 at 7:10 PM, TheLexiConArtist said:

He functions perfectly well at his job, he's just not as flashy and do-everything as some of the recent frames have proven to be.

It's nothing to do with flashiness, Frost simply is not as efficient as other frames who can do his job but even better. Yes Frost functions, but would you rather take a Limbo or a Frost into a defence mission, or even a survival mission these days?

My reason for putting him alongside Hydroid, is purely in regards to the fact that they are both from a time when Warframe was very different. Frost is undoubtedly better than Hydroid of course, that was never something I was contesting. But like Hydroid, he simply has not aged well at all due to the fact his abilities were built around 2013-era Warframe gameplay, which hasn't been relevant for quite some time now.

I'd really like if Frost's passive would make the frozen enemies brittle and have a chance to be instakilled by using Puncture, Impact, or Blast damage on them.

And to top it off, a totally ridiculous idea. Have Frost create a frozen path behind him as he slides. This will give him increased sliding speed and distance. It can be used by teammates so people can slide around the maps and it would make enemies trip and fall down. Is it useful? Probably not much. Is it fun? Hell yeah!

(all imo) this augment has the same feeling that hydroid had when his corroding barrage was made where they try and bandaid stuff that will make them better for the current meta (but they ruined the corrosive status proc so :/ ) 

i think that its still a good mod (but still not helping him fit the meta) but it should be a bonus per cold proc and frozen enemys (or make it so he can stack 20 cold procs to freeze enemys has well to activate it)

and i think frost's (and hydroids) ability's are fine i just think they need some buffs and they dont have to be big like how maybe making the agument for his 3 and 2 a part of the base kit then make more augments for him 

Archived